ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: EZT shutting down forever Return to archive Page: 1 2
April 6th, 2005 01:12 PM
GimmeExile Message posted on www.easytree.org

Hello gals and guys,

We're very sorry having to tell you that we had to shut down EZT forever just a couple of minutes ago.

We got a call from our provider, they had received a few letters from a couple of lawyers. They requested EZT to be shut down immediately, otherwise we and the hosting service would be sued.

As you may imagine, we do not have the funds to fight a battle we most probably can't win anyway.

We would like to thank everyone here for their contributions to EZT, one way or the other, for sharing the music, sharing an ideal, for all your mails, rants, praises...

To say it with Joan Armatrading:

We had fun, fun, fun, fun
fun, fun, fun, fun
we had fun -- while it lasted...
--"Tall in the Saddle"--

You all take good care!

The EZT team
April 6th, 2005 01:16 PM
sonicrock shit
can we never find some peace and understanding on this fuckin earth fell so sad fuck
April 6th, 2005 01:16 PM
sonicrock shit
can we never find some peace and understanding on this fuckin earth fell so sad fuck
April 6th, 2005 02:29 PM
Gazza Fuck!!

and "Fuck" again!!!!
April 6th, 2005 03:05 PM
Factory Girl What was EZT???
April 6th, 2005 03:18 PM
BillyBoll Shoit.

And its taken me until yesterday to get registered on the bleeding thing!!
April 6th, 2005 03:53 PM
Gazza
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
What was EZT???

easytree.org

The biggest site on the 'net for bit torrents.

Put it this way, the package that shall be arriving in your mailbox in the next few days entirely consists of shows downloaded from there within a day or so of the concerts actually taking place!
April 6th, 2005 03:58 PM
Factory Girl Thank you G! That is a shame!
April 6th, 2005 04:08 PM
Lazy Bones Mac's gonna shite...
April 6th, 2005 04:19 PM
GimmeExile
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Mac's gonna shite...

No kidding! I'm anxiously waiting for him to reply. Let's hope he has some ideas for alternative sites.
April 6th, 2005 04:53 PM
Back Street Girl what a shame
April 6th, 2005 05:20 PM
Gazza
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:

No kidding! I'm anxiously waiting for him to reply. Let's hope he has some ideas for alternative sites.

www.thetradersden.org

Not as busy as EZT (although you can bet things are going to change now!) but still a great site and the best remaining one around for downloads of boots and live shows

I notice that since the EZT announcement, TTD's site has been continually busy. I guess theres quite a few EZT members rushing over to join up!

Disappointed that lawyers (presumably at the behest of some bands) have seen fit to threaten the people at EZT. If anything, these sites are taking the criminality out of bootlegging and could soon make the pressing and selling of bootlegs a thing of the past. I can understand them going after the filesharing sites who are uploading copies of officially released material but this just seems pointless and petty. I'm wondering is it because some newly circulating shows (specifically the U2 ones) that have been downloaded for free have then been offered for SALE by some unscrupulous 'fans' on sites like e-bay?

Hopefully someone else will open up an alternative site similar to EZT.
April 6th, 2005 07:22 PM
mac_daddy bummer.

looks like ttd is where it is at - let's hope they weather the storm a bit better...

but now i see...

quote:
The Traders Den
Unfortunately, due to high traffic, the server can't handle the load. Please stand by while we try to figure out what to do to fix the problem. The site should be online again later today when Lynne gets to a computer.

these things happen...

StG was rollin' for a while, and then it got killed. EZT took its place. ttd is carefully run and administered, so hopefully it will continue to serve our needs...

bt.etree.org will always be open, but the artists uploaded there are ALL taper/trader friendly...
April 6th, 2005 07:27 PM
jpenn11 Sprechenze Deutsche?

What is www.thepiratebay.com?
April 6th, 2005 07:45 PM
Soldatti Sad Sad Sad
April 6th, 2005 07:48 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:
Sprechenze Deutsche?

What is www.thepiratebay.com?

i stay far away from those places that offer movies (i clicked the link and sin city was offered on the front page)...

make sure you use peer guardian when pulling from thise sites, because people ARE watching those...

April 6th, 2005 07:53 PM
corgi37 And just as i was about to dip my toe into this torrent water.

Winmx, i still love ya.

P.S. Check out the amateur wife Dianne! What a hottie. Heaps of pics of her.
April 6th, 2005 07:56 PM
mac_daddy still thinking...

quote:
gazza wrote:
Hopefully someone else will open up an alternative site similar to EZT.

ttd should get it together. i have faith in the folks over there. they jsut got hammered, and the admin lives here in soCal, so she is likely getting on all of this after work, which would be right about now...

purelivegigs.com is another one that is currently up...

it would appear that there is a void to fill. if you three (the unholy trinity) are serious about setting up a stones only tracker (assuming that you feel the activity wont bring the heat), now would be a perfect time to set one up. i could have it up for you in a few hours, but i assume you three need to confer amongst yourselves first...

not that this place doesnt kick ass already, because it certainly does, but adding a torrent tracker would put ro in a stratosphere all its own. by doing so you would also find out (in a hurry) how the band/management feels about it, too...
April 6th, 2005 08:08 PM
Gazza I realise that only too well.

I'm up for it, Jaxx is up for it, as we're both into torrenting. Gerardo hasnt tried it and as he's the most "technically minded" amongst us (and basically responsible for the layout of the site, although the 3 of us share the costs of the message board)I'm waiting to see if he thinks its feasible (an e-mail his way explaining things mightn't do any harm, Mac )

My only reservation now is the legal end of it. I sure as hell dont want to take on anything that would cause any problems similar to what EZT and StG have had to deal with, leading to their sites closing down. If such a problem occurred with this site, I'd like to think it would only lead to a bit torrent forum closing and wouldnt affect the main site and message board. I'm anxious to see how this action taken today will end up affecting the other forums such as TTD.
April 6th, 2005 08:31 PM
mac_daddy yeah...

i wonder what set this off...

dylantree has existed for a long time with no legal issues (afaik). and the stones fan sites like us and shidoobee have been sharing (in one form or another) for quite some time. i know the band + management is aware of all of this, have there ever been any threats to this point..?

as far as losing RO, i doubt it, if the lawyers come out, you would simply have to kill the tracker...

speaking of which, if you have had a torrent client running since before the ezt closure notice went up, you should still be active and logged in, so you should be able to connect to torrents for which you have already d/l'd the metafile (*.torrent file)...

lets see what the ttd crew ends up doing...

i would NOT be surprised if all the video stuff is what killed ezt. for instance, the consensus is that dylan's security hawks arent even messing with audio recorders anymore - but they go after the videotapers aggressively (although, when i looked up at the balcony, i saw a vid camera mounted dead center on the monday night dylan gig at the pantages, so either his security is blind, or they dont give a sh*t, or they are making $$ off of it (which more times than not is the case)...

but the video is a whole different animal. alot of artists cannot stand the video stuff, and are indifferent to the audio taping... but then there groups like the miles davis estate, that are notorious for aggressively going after this stuff.

and yes, i think the volume of people that were on the u2 gigs, as well as the NIN opener, brought alot of the heat. to paraphrase a friend, just because the edge says in an interview that he doesnt care about people taping audio as long as no money gets paid out does NOT mean that the suits at island records are indifferent. and they (record company suits) are the ones that normally hire the lawyers...
April 6th, 2005 09:15 PM
justforyou An amazing resource just closed...it's probably not much use speculating who threatened to sue and why. Ezt had a fantastic run bringing much joy. Adfree to boot - amazing feat by the easy crew. Pure sharing.

We can hope for a worthy successor. The question is - where are the torrenters gonna run to, and how are they gonna find out where to go - the ezt community is shattered in thousands of shards.
April 6th, 2005 10:33 PM
jpenn11
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

i stay far away from those places that offer movies (i clicked the link and sin city was offered on the front page)...

make sure you use peer guardian when pulling from thise sites, because people ARE watching those...

ach, ist das eine polizei-auto hinter mir?

danke!!
April 6th, 2005 10:35 PM
glencar I would like to hire Joshy to sue these people!
April 6th, 2005 11:08 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
justforyou wrote:
An amazing resource just closed...it's probably not much use speculating who threatened to sue and why. Ezt had a fantastic run bringing much joy. Adfree to boot - amazing feat by the easy crew. Pure sharing.

We can hope for a worthy successor. The question is - where are the torrenters gonna run to, and how are they gonna find out where to go - the ezt community is shattered in thousands of shards.

not nearly as shattered as you think...

give it a few days - through the weekend...

i actually think ezt might go back up...

and i agree with glencar, where are the ro lawyers..?

ezt was actually in europe somewhere - not the US.

April 6th, 2005 11:25 PM
Nellcote Joshy is too busy defending Israel
April 7th, 2005 01:11 AM
jpenn11
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

ezt was actually in europe somewhere - not the US.

I didn't confirm the following to the original source, but apparently German lawyers found the host. Nicht sprecht deutsche.

EZT Yahoo group:

Hi again, folks.

First off, erwe and I have decided to get loaded tonight!

But before I'll open a bottle of sparkling wine (not that I would
celebrate, but I don't have anything else)(oh, do I have aspirine in the
house) I'd like to tell you what we found out in the meantime...

Infact, there is only *one* letter, signed by *four* lawyers. Still
don't know from whom, though. It looks like they very well knew it
wouldn't make sense to contact us directly, so they chose to contact the
hosting service and threaten them as well. Like I already said, we had
to obey, as otherwise the hosting service would have shut down the
servers. This way, we still control them. It appears that the letter may
come from German lawyers. Anyway, we'll have the provider fax us the
letter tomorrow and then we'll see... Depending on from where the
lawyers hail from and the letter's content, we might need support from
American or German lawyer(s).

Regarding the user data -- it is not (web) accessible at the moment.
erwe is going to take all user data off the servers, just in case.
Again, like I said before, they can't demand us to provide the user data
just like that. And they did not demand it. They only demanded the site
to be shut down. But even if they had the user data, they could not use
it. There are no records who downloaded what and when. As long as they
don't have a proof that user "A" downloaded torrent "XXX" on YYYY-MM-DD,
they can't do anything.

This may be not the end of EZT, but maybe the end of EZT as we know
it...

Cheers!

jupiter2101

[Edited by jpenn11]
April 7th, 2005 01:41 AM
Bloozehound damn!

double dog damn!

hopefully something will get resolved

this was the last thing I d/l from ezt just the other day (farewell old ezfriend! sniff sniff)

Drive By Truckers
1/18/02 Zephyr Club, Salt Lake City, UT

Southern Rock Opera Act 1
April 7th, 2005 02:26 AM
tumblingdice01 I sincerely hope that something gets sorted out before the Stones tour starts at the end of August, otherwise, we are going to have to rely on sending CDRs around. That's the middle ages - Bit Torrent could have and still might offer us the 21st century of show trading - near instant gratification to thousands. If I can't have my Fenway Show within 24 hours of its completion, I will be crawling the walls! I also purchased a battery booster for my MD player just so I could do some taping in Europe. I want to use it!
April 7th, 2005 03:48 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
tumblingdice01 wrote:
I sincerely hope that something gets sorted out before the Stones tour starts at the end of August, otherwise, we are going to have to rely on sending CDRs around. That's the middle ages - Bit Torrent could have and still might offer us the 21st century of show trading - near instant gratification to thousands. If I can't have my Fenway Show within 24 hours of its completion, I will be crawling the walls! I also purchased a battery booster for my MD player just so I could do some taping in Europe. I want to use it!

get comfortable with your gear - we WILL be torrenting the stuff i summer and beyond, it is just a question of where...

stay tuned.
April 7th, 2005 04:26 AM
Gazza
quote:
tumblingdice01 wrote:
I sincerely hope that something gets sorted out before the Stones tour starts at the end of August, otherwise, we are going to have to rely on sending CDRs around. That's the middle ages - Bit Torrent could have and still might offer us the 21st century of show trading - near instant gratification to thousands. If I can't have my Fenway Show within 24 hours of its completion, I will be crawling the walls! I also purchased a battery booster for my MD player just so I could do some taping in Europe. I want to use it!

dont you worry about that. As Mac says, we (or someone else) will have something up and running long before that.

Going by the above posts, hopefully EZT will return in some shape or form
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood