ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Benny Hill vs Monty Python (nsc) Return to archive Page: 1 2
April 4th, 2005 09:49 PM
Bloozehound So whos it gonna be...

vs
April 4th, 2005 10:19 PM
FPM C10 See Sir Stonesalot's references to Benny Hill for my exact sentiments. Tired and Dumb.

Monty Python, on the other hand, is some of the funniest stuff ever. Absolutely brilliant. And timeless. Just as funny now as it was in the 70s.
April 4th, 2005 10:26 PM
Poplar Monty Python = The Beatles ... crafted, refined, erudite.
Benny Hill = The Stones ... raw, dirty, common.

I love both, but prefer the latter.
[Edited by Poplar]
April 4th, 2005 10:31 PM
stonedinaustralia can't see a contest here (imO0

python = comic genius

hill = puerile T&A jokes
April 4th, 2005 10:36 PM
glencar They both suck.
April 4th, 2005 10:49 PM
Bloozehound http://www.toostupidtobepresident.com/shockwave/bennyhill.htm
April 4th, 2005 11:08 PM
MrPleasant I like 'em both!!

"Monty Python & the Holy Grail" is one of my all time favs.
[Edited by MrPleasant]
April 5th, 2005 12:27 AM
M.O.W.A.T.
"I have a lovely bunch of coconuts!"
[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
April 5th, 2005 12:40 AM
ResidentMule Monty Python hands down. Holy Grail was osme funny shit. but Doug Adams owned them both
April 5th, 2005 02:13 AM
Jumacfly great subject of reflexion bloozy!!

Benny hill was not always funny ("the chinese" for instance)but when I was young the show was on sunday evening and it was great to finish the week with all those (ugly) ladies wearing old panties...and i say it again my friends the "A Team" is for me its best work, and I love the end of the show too when everybody's running...

I love MP too but it's completely different...to conclude :

British are the best comics ever(including this week end of rugby lol)

cheers

JU el cabron frances
April 5th, 2005 10:42 AM
egon benny hill sucked.

but i'm sure he was a nice person in real life.

[Edited by egon]
April 5th, 2005 12:07 PM
Gazza No comparison

April 5th, 2005 12:10 PM
glencar That MP stuff is so 70's. The Office is where it's at.
April 5th, 2005 12:18 PM
Gazza The English one or the American copy?

April 5th, 2005 12:28 PM
glencar Oh, yours. The American one isn't as bad as "Coupling" was but it's never as good as the original. Except for the Stones.
April 5th, 2005 12:41 PM
ResidentMule I've been really wanting to see the Office. is it as funny as they all say?
April 5th, 2005 12:43 PM
glencar Yes. It is. But the Brit version is only shown on BBC America. The American version isn't quite as good but then again, I've been spoiled. I believe it's on tonight on NBC between 9 & 10 EST. It's after that scrubby show that I've never watched.
April 5th, 2005 12:55 PM
ResidentMule I'll have to catch it on BBC America then
I really don't have any interest in watching the ripoff version. maybe someday I'll catch it & give it a chance after I've seen the original
April 5th, 2005 12:58 PM
glencar They show it on Thursday nights I believe. I have one of the seasons on DVD. They only made about 12 episodes or so.
April 5th, 2005 12:58 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Benny hill was not always funny ("the chinese" for instance)but when I was young the show was on sunday evening and it was great to finish the week with all those (ugly) ladies wearing old panties...and i say it again my friends the "A Team" is for me its best work, and I love the end of the show too when everybody's running...

I remember the A-team spoof, Benny was dressed up like Mr T.
April 5th, 2005 01:17 PM
egon the office is it.
seen the x-mas special yet? horribly fantastic!
April 5th, 2005 01:25 PM
glencar Plain fantastic! And even a bit sentimental. Right up my alley, baby!
April 5th, 2005 02:05 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Oh, yours. The American one isn't as bad as "Coupling" was but it's never as good as the original. Except for the Stones.

I hope you've seen the scene where Brent "dances". One of the funniest shit I've seen in years.

"The Office" was "it" here in 2002 or 2003, though. Now, it's "Little Britain"
April 5th, 2005 02:09 PM
glencar That was classic. It was right after the golden boy & the boss lady did a duet. He expected all sorts of praise but instead all he got was blank looks. I haven't seen Little B yet. I mostly watch the mystery shows. We're getting "new" Wire In The Blood starting next week.
April 5th, 2005 02:40 PM
Riffhard The Office is the funniest show I have seen in years! The guy that wrote it (Gervis?) is the same guy who is writing and producing the American version. While the American version is laugh out loud funny the Brit version is the one that has me rolling every time. I have seen every episode,but I still watch it everytime it comes on BBC America! The Dance!!!!! ROTFLMFAO!!!! How about the episode where he gives the seminar with the boombox!! Goddamned that's some funny shit.

As for Benny Hill vs Monty Python. C'mon now! You can't be serious?! Python by a country mile. It's not even that close. Just for making that comparison you should be tied down to the Big Comfy Chair!

Riffhard
April 5th, 2005 02:43 PM
glencar Gervais, I think. He's now doing a series about being a Hollywood extra. He won an Emmy for The Office.
April 5th, 2005 03:45 PM
SheRat Amusing dirt on Ricky Gervais:

http://www.injenn.net/~tania/seona-dancing/

"Who is Seona? Why is she dancing? Does anybody care?
No. But it is due to that lack of interest that this site is now in existance. If you're here, which you're probably not, you must know that Seona Dancing was the '80s New Wave, New Romantic pop duo of the comedian, Ricky Gervais."

[Edited by SheRat]
April 5th, 2005 04:27 PM
Riffhard You have got to be kidding?! That's him?! Good god SheRat! Where the hell did you dig up that very fey picture of Ricky Gervais from? He makes George Micheal look positively butch!

Riffhard
April 5th, 2005 04:43 PM
glencar Wow. That's a Howard Carter-like find if ever there was one. He looks like one of the Soft Cell guys.
April 5th, 2005 04:45 PM
glencar From the link:

Here are some random facts:

-Seona Dancing formed in 1983 and broke up in 1984 (long run).

-Seona is pronounced "Shaw-nuh".

-It consisted of Bill Macrae on keyboards and everything else, and Ricky Gervais on vocals.

-In 1985, in the Phillipines, Seona became massively famous, a year after the band broke up.

-Seona became famous in the Phillipines as "Fade," by Medium before it's true identity came out.

-They released two singles, "More to Lose" and "Bitter Heart". They also came out with 12" remixes.

-The singles charted at 117 and 70 (I'm assuming the 70 is for "More to Lose".)

-Ricky Gervais went on musically to manage Suede and a few other bands, and also wrote and starred in "The Office".

-They made a music video, which I have not been fortunate enough to see.

-They have other songs called "Tell Her," which is the B-side to "Bitter Heart", and "You're On My Side," which is the B-side to "More to Lose".
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood