ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bill Wyman and Ron Wood at Liz Jagger's 21st b-day party Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
April 4th, 2005 12:18 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Perks,
To tell you the truth. I could care less about Micks silly social gatherings or his weak solo efforts of late. Knighthood, social gatherings, a poor solo album and a silly movie sound track. This doesn't amount to really anything in my book. The last good work Mick did on his own was Wondering Spirit. My focus is on The Rolling Stones and what they do when they get together. That is what counts. When the Stones get together Keith is, and always has been the hardest working Stone in the band. Look at the folks who record with them and what they say. Not one of them ever hints that it is Mick who holds that role. They all concur it is Mr. Richards who runs the ship and keeps the ball rolling in there.

Ian
BULLSHIT-MICK RAN THE SHOW IN PARIS IN 2002 AND I'LL BET HE'S RUNNIN IT NOW..HE'S GOT KEITH BY THE BALLS..WHAT HAPPENED IN THE 80'S AND 90'S IS NOT WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW.
bu
April 4th, 2005 01:16 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Easy answer:

Mick did two solo albums in the last 5 years and 3 new Stones' songs, Charlie released that album with Jim Keltner, a solo tour in 2001 and a live album from that tour, Ronnie released a solo album in 2001 and he worked hard in the Faces box set, even Bill (a 68 years old men) released 3 solo albums since 2000.
And Keith? A bunch of covers on other artist albums and 1 original song in the last 8 years.
I love Keith, but he's too lazy now if we see his bandmates.

I didn't mean lazy in terms of solo works. I mean lazy when it comes to them recording together as a band. Keith is always the one who wants to get in the studio with the Stones. Look at Bridges, and in 2002. Keith pushed Mick to do Bridges and record instead of doing another solo album. In 2002 Keith was the one who wanted to get into the studio and persuaded the rest of the band to do such before touring...yet again. And when they do record it seems from what I have read that Keith spends the most time in there.
April 4th, 2005 01:26 AM
texile admit it ian - this ain't about whether keith is talented, cool or too old.....
keith, bless his heart, is a lazee motherfucker..........
it's as simple as that.
April 4th, 2005 02:29 AM
Monkey Woman Ian, Ian! Will you cool down one day?
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Monky Women,

Monkey Woman, please! I'm not yet plural!
quote:
Certainly No Offense at all inteneded
And none taken, as the customary answer goes.
quote:
but:

This thread doesn't show us really any proof of anything as you make it seem.

*Show me the photo of Mick and Michael Cohl recently.

Read my post, will you?
I said it's in the Superblow thread, posted by montana in part 7. I repost them here for your edification:
quote:
montana wrote:
two recent pix, in london

and who's behind?? it seems they met to have lunch...

both pix are from isifa, no photographer name ...

[Edited by montana]

quote:
*You are assuming that Keith is in Jamaica with his daughters. The thread never says anything about Keith being there. I think if Keith was there this thredder would of surely mentioned it. After all...the only reason they are in the public eye is because of their dad right?

All right, I don't have proof, but the article was succint enough. Why wouldn't Keith take some time off to be with his daughter on her 20th Birthday? What's wrong with that?
quote:
*So what, Keith likes Sheppard Pie. That doesn't have anything to do with him not being around for the past some odd months....

Do you think he has been holding those Sheppard Pie makers captive for the past four months with an AK-47 while he continues to stuff his face with their pies?

I'll pass, this is just arguing for the sake of arguing...
quote:
*"So I guess both Mick and Keith believe in not exerting themselves too much when they are not on tour! "

We never were argueing that the Stones are not active during their time off from the band. We are just trying to get to the bottum of Keiths creative output and what he's been doing lately since he has been totally out of site.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]

You, perhaps."We" are also talking about what the Stones are doing right now. This thread was started by me about Mick, Bill and Ron at Elizabeth's party, remember.
And I never intended it as a petty comparison between the two Glimmer Twins, it's just a fact that the last months, they've been alternating work time (the sessions at Fourchette, talks with Cohl, but also guest appearances at other people's shows...) and party time. Some of us are just trying to take track of them around the world, for the pleasure and edification of the Stones addicts.

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
April 4th, 2005 03:42 AM
IanBillen
Monkey Women,
I am sorry if I am addressing you incorrectly but I do not understand your plural comment.

Nice pic of Mick and Mike Cohl. Although if you look, this pic was clearly taken in the 1960's. Ok Just kidding. I stand corrected on that issue.
And your post is a good post. Even though we, or I, to satisfy you went into something eles.

Cheers,

Ian
April 4th, 2005 04:39 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Monkey Women,
I am sorry if I am addressing you incorrectly but I do not understand your plural comment.

MonkeyWoman (her name) = singular
MonkeyWomen (not her name) = plural

>The last good work Mick did on his own was Wandering Spirit.

Keith hasnt done any solo work at all since "Main Offender". Which was even before "Wandering Spirit". For all his faults, Mick is still creative. Even Ronnie is despite HIS own problems. What's stopping Keith from working occasionally when the Stones aren't active? And if he's saving himself for when they ARE active, why the lack of quality fresh material?

I don't know which of the following is the craziest theory :

- the outrage at a man taking an evening out to attend his own daughter's 21st birthday party
- the assumption that because Keith DOESNT attend such a gathering that he (exclusive to everyone else) is slaving away 24/7 in a studio
- the belief that because he's spent about 3 weeks in a recording studio in the last 8 years this somehow makes him a hard worker, dedicated to his art
[Edited by Gazza]
April 4th, 2005 05:05 AM
IanBillen Gazza:
- the outrage at a man taking an evening out to attend his own daughter's 21st birthday party
Who's outraged? I don't see that as a problem even if he was there.
- the assumption that because Keith DOESNT attend such a gathering that he (exclusive to everyone else) is slaving away 24/7 in a studio
alright not slaving. Writing and working on songs.
- the belief that because he's spent about 3 weeks in a recording studio in the last 8 years this somehow makes him a hard worker, dedicated to his art
Three weeks? Nahh Gazza, I am sure Keith has spent alot of time on the upcoming material even if it all wasn't in an official studio. As far as 40 Licks goes...there may of not even of been that if it was not for Keith opting for it.

I think you will be surprised with his input on this one. I got that feeling he has been laying low for a reason.

And this:

I'll admit this was funny. I didn't even notice it.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
April 4th, 2005 10:01 AM
Monkey Woman I have a feeling that Ian's faith is the sort that moves mountains. Or at least makes you see mountains real closer. J/K
April 4th, 2005 02:22 PM
luxury1 Hey--this is one of the best threads Ive read here in awhile!
wintah--you is back. Will we see you on Aug 21?
April 4th, 2005 02:49 PM
winter Luxury -

I am back - occasionally.

After a couple of afternoon margaritas yesterday, I couldn't resist the urge to post.

I will be at the Fenway shows, if they happen. A pre-party will definitely be in order. Either way, I am looking forward to this album / tour.

Hope you are doing well.

Cheers,
April 4th, 2005 07:10 PM
Soldatti
quote:
texile wrote:
admit it ian - this ain't about whether keith is talented, cool or too old.....
keith, bless his heart, is a lazee motherfucker..........
it's as simple as that.

The best explanation.
April 4th, 2005 08:37 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Gazza:
Who's outraged? I don't see that as a problem even if he was there.
alright not slaving. Writing and working on songs.
Three weeks? Nahh Gazza, I am sure Keith has spent alot of time on the upcoming material even if it all wasn't in an official studio. As far as 40 Licks goes...there may of not even of been that if it was not for Keith opting for it.

I think you will be surprised with his input on this one. I got that feeling he has been laying low for a reason.

And this:

I'll admit this was funny. I didn't even notice it.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]

Ian, you are the Sultan of Supposition!

Much as I'd like to call Keith lazy, I don't think that's quite right. From what people who know him have told me, he's basically a guy in semi-retirement. More than anything else, he likes to spend time with his family. Is that so bad for someone in his 60s who's lived a somewhat chaotic, peripatetic existence for so long?

He's never far from a guitar and tape machine, so I have no doubt there's an assload of song ideas and fragments in his steamer trunk. (If there's anything lazy about Keith, perhaps it's his inability to *finish* songs lately.) But the comforts of wealth and late middle age, plus an instinct for keeping a low profile (contra Mick), keep Keith on his laurels.

To paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld, it may not be the Keith we all want -- the indefatiguable junkie living in the south of France and sweating out riffs like "Tumbling Dice" -- but it's the Keith we have: a guy with limited energy, dodgy health (Lord knows what we don't hear about *that*) and diminished playing ability.

Too bad. It's life. Even for a god like Keith.
[Edited by Mel Belli]
April 4th, 2005 11:00 PM
IanBillen
-"Ian, you are the Sultan of Supposition!"-

Some times it is supposition. Some times not. The fact that Keith was the one who opted for the Stones to be in the studio at all in the past 8 years is fact. No he hasn't done anything really solo wise in 10 years. But when it comes to The Stones he is ALWAYS the first one doing anything on the material. He is also the one who has conjured to get The Stones in the studio in the first place in the last 8 years.

People worry too much about solo efforts and all that crap.
Fuck that. It is Stones business that really matters to us all. And as far as Stones business goes, work wise that is, Keith is always the one pushing the rest.

For Example:
During B2B he and Ronnie had it out because Ronnie wanted to take the night off to watch a boxing match. Keith wanted to record all night because they were running out of time. At this point Keith was even sleeping at the studio. Finally they compromised and recorded earlier and stopped around 10 p.m. just to watch the fight and resumed after the fight had ended. This is just one example of many.

*there WOULD be NO Bridges to Babylon in 1997 if it wasn't for Keith. He was the one who pushed the band and Mick to go into the studio especially when Mick was intially against it and wanted to do another solo album.

=very much FACT not supposition

*there would be NO NEW TRACKS on 40 Licks if it wasn't for Keith. He was the one who insisited on some new material on the new greatest hits album and pushed the band to enter the studio to record once again.

=very much FACT not supposition

Everyone is saying he doesn't do anything and is lazy. My how we forget. Certainly not when it comes to the Stones. That is what I, and most of us are really concerned about.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
April 4th, 2005 11:32 PM
BILL PERKS WOODY AND KEITHS FIGHT WAS DURING B2B TOUR REHEARSALS.. NOT RECORDING
April 5th, 2005 02:15 AM
IanBillen
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
WOODY AND KEITHS FIGHT WAS DURING B2B TOUR REHEARSALS.. NOT RECORDING

Thanks,

But the principal is unchanged.

Ian
April 5th, 2005 05:21 AM
Zack The "principle" is not the same. Getting ready for apprearing in public is a different animal than recording. You are suggesting that Keith was struggling to meet a deadline, and he quite clearly has little respect for them.

Also, you can't have "very much fact." It is a fact, or it isn't. Like you're girlfriend can't be a little pregnant. You could say, if she's about to pop, she's "very much pregant. But that would be grammatically incorrect.
April 5th, 2005 10:10 PM
iluvmickjagger07 bill has a diary!?!
hahahhahahhahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahhahahhahahhahahahahahahahahhah.....................
April 6th, 2005 05:28 AM
IanBillen [quote]Zack wrote:
The "principle" is not the same. Getting ready for apprearing in public is a different animal than recording. You are suggesting that Keith was struggling to meet a deadline, and he quite clearly has little respect for them.

Also, you can't have "very much fact." It is a fact, or it isn't. Like you're girlfriend can't be a little pregnant. You could say, if she's about to pop, she's "very much pregant. But that would be grammatically incorrect.

Well the fact was, as I have read, that Keith wanted to continue to work as was needed. This simply supports that in Mr. Richard's book The Rolling Stones has, and as long as he can do it, always will be the #1 entertainment priority in his life.

Keith has been the one to always push the Stones to get into the studio in the very first place and IMHO I believe this still stands. Social Gatherings, Crappy solo Efforts, and TV shows as of late don't mean anything to me. Everyone acts like the rest of the bunch are turning the world upside down with all of this.

Ian
April 6th, 2005 10:28 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Keith has been the one to always push the Stones to get into the studio in the very first place and IMHO I believe this still stands. Social Gatherings, Crappy solo Efforts, and TV shows as of late don't mean anything to me. Everyone acts like the rest of the bunch are turning the world upside down with all of this.

Ian

Ian, I agree that Keith was the one who wanted the band to go into the studio before the Licks tour. But he said himself he had no expectations about what those sessions would yield; they were "rehearsals for rehearsal."

But we gotta wonder: What did he actually bring to the table? Is it just coincidence that three of the four songs they *did* release were Mick songs? ... It's great that Keith wants to pull all-night jams, but when it came down to it, it's Mick who closed the deal on finished product.
[Edited by Mel Belli]
[Edited by Mel Belli]
April 6th, 2005 02:13 PM
Saint Sway I find it VERY HARD TO BELIEVE that Bill Wyman did not attend a young babes 21st birthday party
April 6th, 2005 02:16 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I find it VERY HARD TO BELIEVE that Bill Wyman did not attend a young babes 21st birthday party

No need to disbelieve it! Of course he was there, the story comes from his diary! It's even the title of the thread...
April 6th, 2005 03:00 PM
Gazza In the middle of all this "Saint Keith The Studio Martyr" supposition nonsense, has it ever occurred to anyone that this birthday party may have taken place quite some time ago - ie BEFORE the Stones started recording in France in mid-March - and that Bill's ever-so-fascinating diaries aren't exactly bang up to date?

For the record, Elizabeth Jagger's 21st birthday was on March 2nd.
[Edited by Gazza]
April 6th, 2005 03:27 PM
Monkey Woman So it was just a storm in a glass of vodka-and-orange...
April 6th, 2005 05:50 PM
Saint Sway uh... my Wyman remark was a joke

also...

I'm glad that Keef blows off these society parties.

he's too cool for that kind of high society hob nobbing

he's better off at home with a bottle and a guitar
April 6th, 2005 06:43 PM
Riffhard None are so blind as those who refuse to see,and none are more blind Ian. Thank's for the laughs big guy!

Riffhard
April 6th, 2005 08:16 PM
corgi37 I'm with Gazza all the way on this. Keith is the laziest prick out. The money has got to him. He's content to just laze around in Conneticut or Jamaica, pretending to be the rock God whenever a journo comes around. Man, he aint even English anymore.

His output since 93 is worse than woeful. Obviously, all that cash is diverting the antenna he boasts about. He must just be completely spent of ideas. Doesnt help that he virtually doesnt listen to anything post 1941 anymore. Or, so he claims.

The old 5 string thumping the chest schtick is getting a bit old now, too. Man, i'd love to hear him play a Les Paul, through a Marshall stack, on the new cd. Just 1 standard tuning, 6 string, monster riff track.

But, we'll get some acoustic jazzy dirge.

And, the skull ring and cigarette pose will be on every mag cover he does.
April 6th, 2005 09:30 PM
Soldatti
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Doesnt help that he virtually doesnt listen to anything post 1941 anymore.

I'm with Corgi on this point and this is one of his problems, zero inspiration and slow songs from 1937. He needs to listen some Mick's CD's maybe.
April 6th, 2005 10:59 PM
BILL PERKS MICK WONT RECORD "THE OLD" WAY ANYMORE,WITH ENDLESS JAMMIMG.HE DEMOS HIS SONGS AND THE BAND RECORDS THEM.I THINK THE VOODOO LOUNGE SESSIONS FINISHED THAT WAY OF RECORDING FOR THE STONES.
April 7th, 2005 05:06 AM
IanBillen [quote]Riffhard wrote:
None are so blind as those who refuse to see,and none are more blind Ian. Thank's for the laughs big guy!

Riffhard-

Laugh all you want. You were laughing when I said The Stones would indeed play stadiums this tour and everyone said I should know better than that......well they are. Now we don't hear a peep more about it.

I beleieve you were also one who said that the simple thought of The Stones releasing an album in June wasn't even possible so why consider it. Even Cardinal Fang chimed in with his two cents and said to take the advice from people who know better and he was supposeably one of them???...well as it seems...the album is probably well due to be plenty complete by then.

I may not be right all of the time. But don't forget that I am not always wrong either.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
April 7th, 2005 05:12 AM
Gazza er..there's a big difference between it being "completed" and being "released", I would think, Ian....
Page: 1 2 3
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood