ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Black Crowes are back...Life is good! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
March 28th, 2005 10:29 PM
Make It Funky haha.. thanks.. I find it remarkable that I get more Black Crowes information from the Rolling STones website, than I do from the Crowes.com site!!! (Im not complaining).

Ian: I think you need to re-evaluate the Crowes man. You're too iconoclastic about it.. I could hate the Stones b/c Mick dances too much like James brown and Tina Turner. OR I could really enjoy his "delivery" b/c its the music I like to hear. I could dismiss Chris Robinson as a 21st Century Mick Jagger, or simply enjoy the way he sings rock and roll songs!?!? Get over it man. Once the Stones kick the bucket, I reckon the Black Crowes are going to be the only qualified ones left who can measure up to the Rolling Stones - musically.

Cheers dude. And check your pm.
March 29th, 2005 02:10 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
haha.. thanks.. I find it remarkable that I get more Black Crowes information from the Rolling STones website, than I do from the Crowes.com site!!! (Im not complaining).

Ian: I think you need to re-evaluate the Crowes man. You're too iconoclastic about it.. I could hate the Stones b/c Mick dances too much like James brown and Tina Turner. OR I could really enjoy his "delivery" b/c its the music I like to hear. I could dismiss Chris Robinson as a 21st Century Mick Jagger, or simply enjoy the way he sings rock and roll songs!?!? Get over it man. Once the Stones kick the bucket, I reckon the Black Crowes are going to be the only qualified ones left who can measure up to the Rolling Stones - musically.

Cheers dude. And check your pm.

I do not have a PM or I would check it. The Black Crowes music is defintately very much in the style and mode that the Rolling Stones have made all their own some 30 odd years ago. I don't think anyone will say that is far from the truth.

And as far as a club gig goes before a major tour.
No, the Rolling Stones may not be the only ones to do this but guess what....they were the ones that coined it and are most associated with that stunt. Everyone knows that much.

Cheers
March 29th, 2005 02:15 AM
IanBillen [quote]mac_daddy wrote:

dude - they were warm-up gigs. do you think that the stones are the only band in the history of rock n roll to play a few warmup club gigs before embarking on a major tour..?

try not taking yourself, and matters related to rock n roll, so seriously... we are not all out to get you. honest.

The Black Crowes music is defintately very much in the style and mode that the Rolling Stones have made all their own some 30 odd years ago. I don't think anyone will say that is far from the truth.

And Yes, I think Chris Robinson mimics Jagger's dancing style and on stage attitude a bit much. And I am not the first person in the world to take note of that as we all know.

And as far as a club gig goes before a major tour.
No, the Rolling Stones may not be the only ones to do this but guess what....they were the ones that coined it and are most associated with that stunt. Everyone knows that much.

*As far as taking myself seriously. I certainly don't. But then again, nor do I take The Black Crowes seriously for that matter...

Ian
March 29th, 2005 05:22 AM
padre It shouldn't be taken seriously! It's only rock'n'roll, man.
If you really want to compare Black Crowes to something, listen to Humble Pie. Now there's a band that the brothers Robinson seem to have listened quite a bit...
The Black Crowes rule!
March 29th, 2005 01:39 PM
Saint Sway I'm glad that the Crowes are well received here by most Stones fans. I think the ones that do dig them get what the Crowes are trying to do - carry on the tradition of the Stones, not rip them off.

The Crowes really are HUGE Stones fans. I spent Sunday night sitting on a coach with them and listening to Exile and talking about how great a record it is and how it captures every aspect and everything that is cool about american rock and roll - blues, country, r&b and soul. Its all right there in one amazing, glorious record. The Stones brought that sound of all thier influences to the masses. I think thats what the Crowes have always strived to do.

personally, I am very thankful the Black Crowes are around to bring us good old fashioned rock and roll music. Theres not too many others like them. And I don't consider anyone to be better at it than them.

so I say God Bless The Black Crowes
March 29th, 2005 02:42 PM
Mel Belli They stopped leaning on the Stones pretty much after the first record. And when they lurched back in that direction - with "By Your Side" - I think it seemed like somewhat of a desperate attempt to recapture the old magic.

So, Saint Sway, are you friendly with the band?
March 29th, 2005 02:47 PM
Saint Sway yes
March 29th, 2005 03:42 PM
Mel Belli Cool.
March 29th, 2005 03:52 PM
Saint Sway way cool
March 29th, 2005 04:04 PM
steel driving hammer Black Crowes vs U2?

Black Crowes.

Bono must die.

You can’t stop
Or I might pass ya
If you slow down
I’ll out last ya
But when you’re down
You won’t find me laughing
Just one question I might ask ya
It might sound like a disaster
Can you make this thing go faster?
March 29th, 2005 04:11 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Black Crowes vs U2?

you can't compare them because there is no comparison

The Black Crowes are an amazing rock and roll band.

U2 are an overblown pop band

it would be like comparing Led Zep to the Cars. There's just no point.
March 29th, 2005 04:13 PM
steel driving hammer You damm fucking straight my brother!
March 29th, 2005 06:26 PM
crb69 I 2nd that!

If Chris Robinson imitates anyone with his "moves" it would have to be Robert Plant (a little). I don't see Mick in there unless you're talking about his harp playing.

Just my opinion...good to hear hard rock 'n roll for a change in the age of green hair and power chords. It's about time guitar solos & jams came back into the picture.

Us guitar players have been getting worried...
March 29th, 2005 06:58 PM
Riffhard I know the Crowes very well. The original bass player was my next door neighbor for ten years in Marietta,Ga. By the way his name ain't Johnny Colt. It's Chuck. He was several years younger than I.

As for the Crowes. I like them,but they are as derivitive as you get. There is no point in even arguing that fact. I used to go see them in the mid-eighties in Little Five Points(trendy Atlanta neighborhood). They went by Mr. Crowes Garden. They sucked hard! Real hard! They were covering bands like Oingo Boingo for God's sake! You ask why would you go see them then,Riffy? Well,they just happened to play in one of my favorite bars back in the day. I went there for the bar not the band.

They have put out some decent music,but as I know the guys are far from the nicest guys in the world my respect for them has steadily dimminished. Chris can be the biggest asshole this side of Leslie West,and believe me that is really saying something!

Riffhard
March 30th, 2005 02:57 AM
padre Very cool to get inside sights on such a great band as the Crowes, Saint Away and Riffhard. Gimme more!
I haven't got a clue what the guys are like in private, so no comments on that. But even the thought of sitting on a couch with them listening to Exile gives me goosebumps! Way cool indeed!!!
And you're right, it's not ripping off, it's carrying on the tradition. It's just the same as the Stones did to old blues masters in the 60's. I'm sure some said thay were only copying the old greats, but what would've the scene been for them without the british blues boom?
Carry on Crowes, carry on.
And By Your Side was not a desperate attemp it's the best one they've done after the first two albums!
March 30th, 2005 10:13 AM
GimmeExile "Happy" closes the show! The only negative thing: They opened with "Don't Do It" again...Great song, but I liked how they had opened each Hammerstein show with a different song.

Tonight's the final night of the 7-night stand in NYC...

The Black Crowes

March 29, 2005
Hammerstein Ballroom
New York, NY

Don't Do It
Sting Me
Another Roadside Tragedy
Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye
Share The Ride -> Mellow Down Easy
Sister Luck
Jam -> Thorn's Progress -> Thorn In My Pride
Sometimes Salvation
High Head Blues
A Conspiracy
By Your Side
Under A Mountain
Remedy
- encore -
Shake Your Moneymaker
Happy

* Luther Dickinson played guitar on Shake Your Moneymaker and Happy

March 30th, 2005 10:51 PM
Make It Funky Exile

Dude... thanks for posting the setlist from last night!! Wow!!
For me, thats the most IDEAL setlist ever. I love that. That is fucking perfect in every way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who went to this show? Can I get a field report, please?
Dont do it? Badluckblue eyes? Roadside?? Remedy??? Happy!?
Sweet mother of jesus!!!

Cheers!
March 31st, 2005 09:58 AM
GimmeExile Make it Funky, the Crowes are delivering the goods. Every setlist has been phenomenal. I hope to see them at the NorVa in May and then with Petty this summer.

Here is the final setlist of the Hammerstein stand:

The Black Crowes
March 30, 2005
Hammerstein Ballroom
New York, NY

Cursed Diamond
Gone
Jam -> Black Moon Creeping
Nebakenezer
Pre-Road Downs
Soul Singing
Girl From A Pawnshop
Jam -> Thorn In My Pride
My Morning Song
Wiser Time
She Gave Good Sunflower
Hard To Handle -> Jam
- encore -
Boomer's Story
You Gotta Move (1st time played)

Cody Dickinson played on Boomer's Story

Luther Dickinson played on You Gotta Move
March 31st, 2005 11:30 AM
Some Guy
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I know the Crowes very well. The original bass player was my next door neighbor for ten years in Marietta,Ga. By the way his name ain't Johnny Colt. It's Chuck. He was several years younger than I.

As for the Crowes. I like them,but they are as derivitive as you get. There is no point in even arguing that fact. I used to go see them in the mid-eighties in Little Five Points(trendy Atlanta neighborhood). They went by Mr. Crowes Garden. They sucked hard! Real hard! They were covering bands like Oingo Boingo for God's sake! You ask why would you go see them then,Riffy? Well,they just happened to play in one of my favorite bars back in the day. I went there for the bar not the band.

They have put out some decent music,but as I know the guys are far from the nicest guys in the world my respect for them has steadily dimminished. Chris can be the biggest asshole this side of Leslie West,and believe me that is really saying something!

Riffhard

I knew Chuck also, I lived around there a while!
April 2nd, 2005 11:13 AM
mac_daddy The Black Crowes Hammerstein 6 CD set 03/25, 26, 27/2005 + artwork (ezt)
April 2nd, 2005 07:25 PM
Make It Funky MacDaddy,
Hey dude.. the link you sent is basically a teaser. It never fails, in all of the attempts that I have made in the past 5 weeks to the EZ Torrent site (That you linked) has prohibited me from becoming a member.

Whats teh point of advertising new torrents, if "outsiders" can't be a part of it? Is EZ Torrent an elitist club for the "G 100,000"???

Any ideas, help or direction you can offer dude, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!
PS: Do you know of anyone wiht an extra single TORONTO ticket??? I just need one for the Kool Haus. Sold Out in no time.
April 2nd, 2005 07:46 PM
mac_daddy ezt grew real fast in a real hurry, gosh, i guess about a year ago...

they had to cap the memberships, otherwise the servers were getting overloaded and crashing. actually the guy who coded the site and tracker did a helluva job - he wrote it from scratch, and the thing deals with a tremendous ammount of traffic (the kind that brings mosts sites down). anyway - the stagnant memberships are cleared regularly, and i think eople get kicked for not sharing (though i am not sure about that). anyway - periodically try to register - patience and persistence will pay off for you - and once you are in, you are in...

although, i would not be surprised if that crowes show isn't up on bt.etree.org by now - and that one is 100% open.

i will keep an eye out for a ticket for you...
April 3rd, 2005 07:49 AM
John Wood All this talk about the Crowes, I'm going to put some on right now the only problem which one as I am a fan of all their albums. Maybe By Your Side. That will get me going on a Sunday morning. Turn it up, Go Faster!!!!!!!!!
April 3rd, 2005 07:50 AM
wisertime I'd like to have some of these 2005 recordings, anyone interested to set up a trade (I can't download)?? I have the Staircase gig March 14th. Let me know, I have a good list of Stones, Dylan (included 2005 shows), ..

[email protected]
April 3rd, 2005 11:59 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
MacDaddy,
Hey dude.. the link you sent is basically a teaser. It never fails, in all of the attempts that I have made in the past 5 weeks to the EZ Torrent site (That you linked) has prohibited me from becoming a member.

Whats teh point of advertising new torrents, if "outsiders" can't be a part of it? Is EZ Torrent an elitist club for the "G 100,000"???

Any ideas, help or direction you can offer dude, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!
PS: Do you know of anyone wiht an extra single TORONTO ticket??? I just need one for the Kool Haus. Sold Out in no time.

Black Crowes 2005-03-14 Mr. Crowes Garden (FLAC) (ttd - free reg req'd)

but if you are looking for black crowes download, check this link (no reg req'd)
April 4th, 2005 11:45 AM
GimmeExile mac_daddy, thanks for the heads-up on the Crowes' Easter Weekend Box Set on EZT! I downloaded it over the weekend...I sent you a PM.
April 5th, 2005 11:22 AM
GimmeExile Here's a show on EZT that is a must-have:

Jimmy Page & Black Crowes @ Roseland 10/12/99 SOUNDBOARD
April 8th, 2005 10:33 AM
wisertime You can listen to the last Hammerstein NYC show 30.03 on blackcrowes.com
Amazing show

Cursed Diamond
Gone
Jam -> Black Moon Creeping
Nebakenezer
Pre-Road Downs
Soul Singing
Girl From A Pawnshop
Jam -> Thorn In My Pride
My Morning Song
Wiser Time
She Gave Good Sunflower
Hard To Handle -> Jam
- encore -
Boomer's Story
You Gotta Move (1st time played)
April 8th, 2005 01:07 PM
Saint Sway HELL YEAH!!!!
the show they are streaming now at www.blackcrowes.com is KILLER!!!!

I declare it mandatory listening for all Rocks Off members!! Actually, I wish Keef & Woody would give it a listen and hear what kick ass rock and roll guitarists should sound like

You Gotta Move is wicked!!

fuck, the whole show is hot!
April 8th, 2005 02:23 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
HELL YEAH!!!!
the show they are streaming now at www.blackcrowes.com is KILLER!!!!

I declare it mandatory listening for all Rocks Off members!! Actually, I wish Keef & Woody would give it a listen and hear what kick ass rock and roll guitarists should sound like

You Gotta Move is wicked!!

fuck, the whole show is hot!

i bought tix to see them in Chicago in July, very much looking forward to this
Page: 1 2 3
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood