ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Celebrating "Superblow" Number 12!!
Ahmet Ertegun tribute, NYC, April 17, 2007
© Kevin Mazur thanks moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Stooges Insc) Return to archive Page: 1 2
10th April 2007 06:23 PM
lotsajizz awesome!
10th April 2007 08:32 PM
Sir Stonesalot GTRM....It pleases me to no end that I may have had a little to do with talking you into going to the gig last night.

I knew what was coming, and I didn't want you to miss it. In fact...I don't want anyone to miss it.

So here it is people, not just from me, but from everyone who has been to one of the shows on this Stooges tour...if you can wrangle a ticket...GET TO ONE OF THESE SHOWS!!!

I can personally promise that you will have no regrets. Even if you don't get up on stage...LOL.
10th April 2007 08:48 PM
lotsajizz take it from someone who did NOT get up on stage (I was balcony seating)...it's still a super show!

but I did dance with Patti Smith two months ago...I got THAT going for me....

10th April 2007 09:17 PM
Sir Stonesalot That ain't nothing to sneeze at Jizzy...dancing with Patti Smith...that ain't nothing to sneeze at at all....

I just wish you had some pics to post of that particular event. I'd love to see 'em.
11th April 2007 12:35 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
GTRM....It pleases me to no end that I may have had a little to do with talking you into going to the gig last night.

I knew what was coming, and I didn't want you to miss it. In fact...I don't want anyone to miss it.

So here it is people, not just from me, but from everyone who has been to one of the shows on this Stooges tour...if you can wrangle a ticket...GET TO ONE OF THESE SHOWS!!!

I can personally promise that you will have no regrets. Even if you don't get up on stage...LOL.

Oh, you had more than a little to do with it, SS.

And I wanna echo SS's sentiment:

If you can get a ticket to one of these shows, do it. It's the thrill of a lifetime (even if ya don't get up onstage)!
11th April 2007 01:26 AM
pdog Just a few more days for me... saw a bunch of friends tonight who are going to the Sf show. One is this really cool 18 year old. It's going to be so much fun being at a show with so many folks I know going... Everyone I know is going to the 1st show too... I have a feeling the 1st show is going to be the rowdier crowd... I won't bring a camera, just don't want to deal with security at the warfield, they are notorious for going after picture takers. I'm very, very excited!
11th April 2007 02:22 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Jizzy...did you go on stage and sing "No Fun" with The Stooges? No? Oh.

I did.

Here's some pics I took at the DC show(obviously, I didn't take the ones that I'm in...)

I took this one while on the stage...

Here's Iggy singing to me...

Here's something I will remember til the day I die...Iggy and I singing No Fun with The Stooges.

What a fuckin' night. A "real cool time" for sure...

Holy Crap!!! Nice job!

11th April 2007 09:17 AM
GotToRollMe From today's New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/arts/music/11stoo.html?ref=arts

The Stooges' Iggy Pop (with microphone) at the United Palace Theater after about 100 audience members followed his request to "invade the stage."

by Ben Ratliff
Published: April 11, 2007
Photos: Rahav Segev for The New York Times

A show by the reunited Stooges deals with the boundaries of the self; it's about private-made-public and public-made-private. It airs ideas (and parts of the body) that usually aren't laid open, and turns the hey-ho communal experience of rock into an inner monologue.

Over tribal drum rhythms and monstrous guitar riffs, it's also a choreographed re-enactment of chaos, rude and simple and immaculate. It represents a total thesis on rock 'n' roll - not by any means the only possible one but a great one. And the Stooges' show at the United Palace Theater in Washington Heights on Monday night was an argument, too: for the re-uniting of old bands without shame or second thought, once they figure out what, philosophically, they were all about in the first place.

Iggy Pop, now 59, is the captain of these inside-outside actions. Try to take your eyes off him. How he re-enacts fear, rage, sex, abject boredom, universal love and lethal cynicism, while dancing with originality, remembering lyrics and maintaining the delicate middle-state between having pants on and not having pants on, is why he is he, and you are merely you.

On Monday, he sang in girlish screams or hypermasculine croons from the center of his psyche, then pushed outward, imposing himself on the music and the audience. "I took a trip down to the mind room," he sang during an interlude with ringing guitar harmonics and cymbal crashes, "to see what I could find." At another point, during an improvised free-rock section - the kind of thing the Stooges did routinely when they first started in 1967, before they wrote actual songs - he went inward again. "I'm sick!" he screamed. "I'm in pain!" He shoved the microphone into his mouth and bellowed, then rolled on the floor, then butted his torso against a stack of amplifiers. And once standing again, he started a freakish benediction, intoning "I am you." It was all id-language, if blocked and rehearsed; this Stooges show followed the contours of other recent ones.

Iggy repeatedly asked for the house lights to be turned on: more boundary-ruptures. At one point, lights fully on, the band started "Real Cool Time," and Iggy brought the audience into his world, or so it seemed. "Invade the stage!" he begged. "Fly!" About a hundred did, many of them dancing, many trying hungrily to kiss him or pile on him. The road crew suddenly had to protect the band, the backline of amplifiers and Iggy himself, who nonchalantly reached for the arm of a roadie at critical moments. (The mob stayed onstage for "No Fun" as Iggy dodged feet and hands while singing "no fun to be around/walking by myself/no fun to be alone...") Iggy Pop is all right with physical danger and leapt into the crowd several times to prove it. One of those times, memorably, was a dead-man dive: he just tipped over into the front rows, face-first.

Most of the set, rendered fast and loud, came from the first two Stooges albums: "The Stooges," from 1969, and "Fun House," from 1970. (They don't play anything from "Raw Power," their third album.) But the rest of the show - about a third of it - was recent Stooges, since their reunion in 2003, either from the band's brand-new record "The Weirdness," or from Iggy Pop's last solo record, "Skull Ring." The group seems to have forsworn slow tempos and those wrinkles on the Bo Diddley drum pattern in favor of a fast and generic four-four, which could be an act of abnegation, a necessary anti-nostalgia exercise or both.

The bad news is that the new songs lack grace and sensuality. The good news is that they sound much better live. The band threw its weight behind these grooves: Scott Asheton slammed the downbeats on the snare drum; his brother, the guitarist Ron Asheton, made the songs cohere with the drone of his open E string; the tenor saxophonist Steve Mackay blew serrated, trashy R&B riffs, sometimes run through waves of digital echo. And the bassist Mike Watt - the only nonoriginal member, replacing the deceased Dave Alexander - followed Iggy's physical cues with half-crazed concentration, like a fisherman refusing to let go of a dangerous catch.

One of the show's best moments came with no music at all. It was at the end of the new song "I'm Fried." The band snapped it shut, but Iggy Pop kept dancing: grotesque and pretty, whirling, contorting and pivoting. Either by accident or design, he did what he was trying to do: he got outside himself.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
11th April 2007 09:33 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
pdog wrote:
Just a few more days for me... saw a bunch of friends tonight who are going to the Sf show. One is this really cool 18 year old. It's going to be so much fun being at a show with so many folks I know going... Everyone I know is going to the 1st show too... I have a feeling the 1st show is going to be the rowdier crowd... I won't bring a camera, just don't want to deal with security at the warfield, they are notorious for going after picture takers. I'm very, very excited!

Yer gettin' TWO shows? You lucky dog! As for the camera, I'd try to travel as light as possible, especially if you plan on getting down front. It gets pretty crazy...yer gonna need both hands free...bodies flyin', Iggy flyin' (hopefully)...*sigh*...ah, the memories...LOL.
11th April 2007 02:51 PM
pdog I'm only going to one show.... Gotta work this weekend....
11th April 2007 03:26 PM
GotToRollMe Pdog, you're going to the show on the 21st right? That's his 60th birthday! Thanks for pushing me to go to this show...now I can't wait for YOU to see them...yer gonna plotz!
11th April 2007 07:53 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
That's his 60th birthday!

Wow? I did not know that he was quite that old. I was thinking about 55.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)