ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Celebrating "Superblow" Number 12!!
Ahmet Ertegun tribute, NYC, April 17, 2007
© Kevin Mazur thanks moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Stooges Insc) Return to archive Page: 1 2
8th April 2007 12:27 AM
lotsajizz At the Orpheum tonight in downtown Boston, next to famous Suffolk Law School....louder than shit! ears ringin' like a bell! That man is awesome...full of energy, he was humpin' amplifiers, went into the crowd on most songs, and had the crowd on stage with him in the middle of the show! Mike Watt on bass, the Ashetons on drums and guitar, and McKay on sax.....wow! Shorter show (80 or so minutes) but Ig showed more moves and energy than Mick has in some time...

setlist from memory

Loose
Down On The Street
Real Cool Time
I Wanna Be Your Dog
TV Eye
Not Right
My Idea of Fun
Fun House
Skull Ring
Trollin'
She Took My Money
I'm Fried
E: Electric Chair
[Edited by lotsajizz]
8th April 2007 12:36 AM
GotToRollMe Alright! I'm seeing them in NYC on Monday night and I AM READY.
8th April 2007 12:49 AM
lotsajizz get ready...they are LOUD...ears ringin' like a bastard

they make gnarly noise!!

8th April 2007 01:54 AM
Starbuck did he do an encore with SS?
8th April 2007 08:37 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
get ready...they are LOUD...ears ringin' like a bastard

they make gnarly noise!!

They wouldn't be the fuckin' STOOGES if they weren't LOUD. I'm expecting not only ringing in the ears but partial deafness for at least a week afterwards, my throat to be raw from screaming, and to be a sweaty mess in general by the time I get outta there Monday night. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks to the lovable miscreants on this board who gave me the kick in the ass I needed to go...you know who you are.
8th April 2007 09:14 AM
Trey Krimsin
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

They wouldn't be the fuckin' STOOGES if they weren't LOUD. I'm expecting not only ringing in the ears but partial deafness for at least a week afterwards, my throat to be raw from screaming, and to be a sweaty mess in general by the time I get outta there Monday night. I wouldn't have it any other way.

The sweaty mess, raw throat, and partial deafness can also occur when having very aggressive sex.

Or so I've heard......

Hope you have one helluva time at the show, Gottorollme.
8th April 2007 12:20 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Trey Krimsin wrote:

The sweaty mess, raw throat, and partial deafness can also occur when having very aggressive sex.

Or so I've heard......

Hope you have one helluva time at the show, Gottorollme.

LOL...where do ya hear these things?
Thanks, Trey.
8th April 2007 02:12 PM
Trey Krimsin I overhear these things, especially in casual conversation. I'm quite the eavesdropper. However, I do get my head stuck in some precarious places.

Nudge Nudge
8th April 2007 04:07 PM
Sir Stonesalot Jizzy...did you go on stage and sing "No Fun" with The Stooges? No? Oh.

I did.

Here's some pics I took at the DC show(obviously, I didn't take the ones that I'm in...)

I took this one while on the stage...

Here's Iggy singing to me...

Here's something I will remember til the day I die...Iggy and I singing No Fun with The Stooges.

What a fuckin' night. A "real cool time" for sure...
8th April 2007 04:09 PM
mrhipfl Damn, StonesAlot, damn! That's Rock n' Roll!
8th April 2007 04:27 PM
Sir Stonesalot I bowed at the alter of Rock n Roll that is Ron Asheton.

He grinned at me and gave me his guitar pick.

I'm either gonna mount it on the dash of my hot rod, or make a belt buckle out of it...dunno which yet. Whichever one I figure out how to do first I suppose...
8th April 2007 05:18 PM
charlotte I salute you SS...as long as you are around rock n' roll will never die...
8th April 2007 08:05 PM
GotToRollMe Those are some great fuckin' photos, SS. Just listening to this show is getting me sooo pumped for tomorrow night.
8th April 2007 08:10 PM
mrhipfl I was watching TV the other day and the Stooges were playing at some wedding (WTF?)and Iggy said, "We are so happy to be here tonight. In fact, We'd be happy to be fuckin' anywhere!"
It made me smile.
8th April 2007 08:18 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
I was watching TV the other day and the Stooges were playing at some wedding (WTF?)and Iggy said, "We are so happy to be here tonight. In fact, We'd be happy to be fuckin' anywhere!"
It made me smile.

That was Bam Margera's wedding on MTV. I can't believe I actually watched it to get a glimpse of the Stooges...but I did.
8th April 2007 08:53 PM
Sir Stonesalot He said the same thing in DC.

It cracked me up. I yelled, "That's Keith's line!". No one knew what I was talking about.
9th April 2007 05:13 AM
lotsajizz he repeated it in Boston
9th April 2007 07:43 AM
GotToRollMe Then I'll be real disappointed if he doesn't say it tonight...lol. Guess that's showbiz, folks.

Got yer hearing back yet, Jizzy?
9th April 2007 07:51 AM
lotsajizz I noticed the ears ringing as I went to sleep last night, but just about back to normal this morning!
SS, it seems from the photos that you're just one a lucky few on stage that night? Was that the case....it looks like a dozen or so fans? In Boston, it was easily over a hundred--a real mob scene, we lost sight of Iggy for minutes at a time? His two roadies were hard pressed that night. I imagine being an Iggy roadie is pretty tough anyway!

some reviews...

Iggy and his Stooges let loose at the Orpheum
By Jed Gottlieb
Monday, April 9, 2007 - Updated: 04:24 AM EST

Iggy Pop caterwauled over and over again, “I say we will have a real cool time tonight! I say we will have a real cool time tonight!” Guitarist Ron Asheton viciously slammed his guitar into the red with a flurry of violent buzz-toned riffs. A hundred fans stormed the Orpheum stage at Pop’s urging to dance, chant and mosh around the band.

The Stooges made their point: They’re not the Eagles.

Pop has insisted that the Stooges reunion isn’t about money or glory or a sad, impotent dinosaur trying to relive a heyday it never got. He said he just wanted to front a real band again, and at Saturday’s sold-out Orpheum show, he fronted the realest rock band around.

While inviting the crowd onstage for a song midset was wild, disarming gimmick, he didn’t need it to prove the Stooges aren’t fooling around.

Nearly 60, Pop charged the stage with a menace frontmen 40 years younger can’t muster. Shirtless and looking like a punk-rock version of a “Fight Club” Brad Pitt, Pop squirmed across the floor and scrambled atop amps and jumped in and out of the crowd through four opening volatile Stooges classics - “Loose,” “Down on the Street,” “I Wanna Be Your Dog” and “T.V. Eye.”

Behind him, the Stooges thumped mercilessly. Ron Asheton has spent the past three decades becoming the guitarist he aspired to be on “Fun House” - his rhythm playing was raw and thick, his solos were fiercely ugly. Drummer Scott “Rock Action” Asheton propelled the band with focused, tribal thuds. Sometime-Stooge and sax player Steve MacKay blasted out rhythm and blues-meets-free jazz. New bassist and punk icon Mike Watt got deep into the groove and stayed out of the way of Iggy and Ron.

Songs off the band’s 2007 reunion record, “The Weirdness,” were few and far between but fit nicely with the older stuff. Leaner tunes “My Idea of Fun,” “I’m Fried” and “She Took My Money” worked well next to long workouts such as “Fun House.”

The absence of songs from “Raw Power” - the Stooges’ 1973 album when Ron Asheton was demoted to bassist - was noticeable. While Pop never let the energy dip, dropping in “Search and Destroy” or “Gimmie Danger” off “Raw Power” would have boosted the set.

But Pop accomplished what he set out to do. No one at the Orpheum show confused the Stooges with a band resting on its laurels. It was punk at its genuine best.

Iggy and Stooges show they have staying power
By Jonathan Perry, Globe Correspondent | April 9, 2007

In the three decades that have passed since they imploded, a few things have changed about the Stooges -- or Iggy & the Stooges, as they were billed on the Orpheum Theatre marquee for Saturday's sold-out blitzkrieg of power-punk and proto-metal. At the merch table for instance, you could buy hat wear such as "The Weirdness Beanie," named after the band's first new album in 34 years, "The Weirdness," or a hoodie with the group's moniker emblazoned across the front.

We're also guessing that travel accommodations for this reunion tour are comfier than they were in 1970, when too many people were mellowing out to Bread and too few had picked up on the four-headed hydra of sound and fury from Ann Arbor, Mich., whose noise and nihilism signified everything about the punk it presaged by nearly a decade.

But what was truly astonishing Saturday was what had not changed: the Stooges themselves. True, founding bassist Dave Alexander is no longer with the group, but he died in 1975, so there's not much one can do about that (ex-Minutemen bassist Mike Watt inherited his spot). Perhaps most improbably, the Asheton brothers Ron (guitar) and Scott (drums), long presumed missing in action, are back. Both played their parts to primordial classics such as "T.V. Eye" and "Down on the Street" with such thuggish gusto and demented conviction that it was as if they never left. Even Steve Mackay , who contributed saxophone on the band's epochal, epically deranged "Fun House" album, was on stage to deliver the old brass kicks to the solar plexus.

The focal point, of course, was the perpetually shirtless, baboon-limbed lead singer Iggy Pop, born James Osterberg. When Pop bounded on stage for the opener "Loose," one of a slew of songs on gaudy display from "Fun House" and the Stooges' self-titled 1970 debut, the singer's convulsive vitality -- the spasmodic leaps, carnival of shrieks, caged-animal prowl (not to mention that freakish sinew-and-gristle physique) -- was ridiculously unchanged. How ridiculous? Iggy turns 60 this week.

Though the new numbers rang similar themes as the sleazy classics -- alienation, lust, being broke, and bored -- rote rave-ups from "The Weirdness" such as "Trollin'," "My Idea of Fun," and "I'm Fried" paled inevitably alongside the seedy old anthems -- not that anybody realistically expected another "I Wanna Be Your Dog" at this stage of the game. The band's only other concession to mortality seemed to be the limp Pop has earned from decades of stage dives and other novel forms of self-abuse inflicted during a cockroach-tough solo career that's seen him weather everything from commercial and critical indifference to his own drug demons.

There were no antics involving razor blades or peanut butter this time. Pop did, however, smack himself and violently hurl his body to the floor during the savagely maladjusted "Dirt," and then almost risked limb if not life on "Real Cool Time" by exhorting the crowd to storm the stage and "dance with the Stooges!" Iggy was immediately besieged, swallowed up and spit out by his adoring public. "Now," he said happily amid the crazed chaos, "we're getting somewhere!"

Stooges play Boston; Iggy’s still Iggy after all these years

MUSIC REVIEW

By Scott McLennan TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
[email protected]

BOSTON— Had The Stooges done nothing since last roaming the planet 33 years ago, the band’s legacy as one of the tidal forces on rock ‘n’ roll would be ever-secure.

But for reasons known only to Iggy Pop, and brothers Ron and Scott Asheton — the surviving members of the original Stooges lineup — the band this year confronted that legacy, first in releasing a new album last month and now in mounting its first U.S. tour since 1974 (though The Stooges made sporadic appearances in 2003 and 2005).

And in true Stooges fashion, Iggy and the Ashetons beat the legacy into submission, supplanting the image of self-mutilating dope fiends with that of anarchistic musicians creating a whole, fresh new mess.

Playing to a packed Orpheum Theater on Saturday, The Stooges, aided by bass player Mike Watt (original bassist Dave Alexander died in 1975), hit upon every song from the band’s weirdest album, 1970’s “Fun House.”

They cherry-picked material from the band’s wildly unorthodox 1969 debut and dipped into the projects that reunited this band, starting with Iggy Pop’s 2003 album “Skull Ring” — which included three songs with the Ashetons — and this year’s full-blown comeback, “The Weirdness.”

And for extra good measure, the band is prominently featuring sax player Steve Mackay, who first teamed with The Stooges on “Fun House.”

The Stooges of 2007 totally avoided “Raw Power,” the record made in 1973 when guitarist James Williamson joined the group, bumping Ron Asheton to bass, and David Bowie stepped into the band’s universe.

While “Raw Power” is typically considered the most influential of the original three Stooges records, the reunion is forcing a revaluation of that belief.

Two weeks shy of his 60th birthday, Iggy Pop remains a wild child. Thin, wiry and spastic, Pop hit the stage shirtless and writhed his way through the set as guitarist Ron Asheton, drummer Scott Asheton and Watt hung back and created elaborate sonic settings for the singer. And the material from the first two Stooges records provided a dazzling playground for this group to run wild.

“Loose” and “Down on the Street” proved a punishing combination in the show’s opening, with Pop exuding a decadent sleaze while his band mates showed off the eclectic cross-section of dark psychedelia and jittery garage rock.

The Stooges manifested and led others to label the blueprint of punk rock.

The Stooges did not perform along any sort of expected or logical performance arc. The popular “I Wanna Be Your Dog” came early in the show, while the celebratory encore run featured newer, lesser-known fare, such as “I’m Fried” and “Little Electric Chair.”

At the show’s midpoint, Pop invited any fan who could fit to hop on stage to dance while the band wailed through “Real Cool Time” and “No Fun,” creating the sort of pandemonium one would expect at a show’s end, but here simply added to the night’s sense of chaos.

And few can articulate chaos, particularly the brand that bubbles in a troubled mind, better than Pop. His prime performances with The Stooges rely more on a blunt and brutal delivery than any sort of richly crafted wordplay. Yet hearing Pop simply chant “I’m dirt” communicated more than the output of a legion of alienated songwriters.

The newer Stooges songs sound more like Pop’s solo material, meaning that more words are used to convey the message. But the message is no less twisted: To wit you get lines such as “My idea of fun is killing everyone.”

While Pop remains the lightning rod, not enough praise can be laid on the rest of The Stooges. Scott Asheton was the model of jazzy utilitarianism, swinging beats and hitting hard.

Ron Asheton’s wildly experimental shifts in tone and rough-hewn shred provided the perfect dressing for Pop’s madness. Watt fit right into the picture, nailing the band’s signature rubbery and thuggish rhythms.

And Mackay, who joined the band for much of the second half, blew hard, soulful sax parts — a vestige of the band’s Detroit upbringing — into the mix.

Though seemingly the product of lunatics, The Stooges’ concert actually revealed just how tight this band is, with every jam, cue and dramatic flair perfectly hit.

It was like watching a well-tuned race car go full speed toward a cliff and hit the brakes just before sailing over. And that may be why The Stooges stepped forward once more — not to show how wild it could get, but to prove once and for all that it is in charge of the mayhem.

[Edited by lotsajizz]
9th April 2007 11:28 AM
patioaintdry I was honored to witness Sir Stonesalot's appearance on the 9:30 Club stage. I can confirm that he was the most enthused "Washington Dancer" and towards the end of No Fun participated with others in a leg-kicking Rockettes from Hell dance line.

And make no mistake, this performance by the Stooges was remarkable and in your face intense.

[Edited by patioaintdry]
9th April 2007 02:12 PM
Sir Stonesalot Honestly Jizzy...I couldn't tell you how many people were up there. I couldn't tell you what they looked like or what they were wearing.

Of course, I can now because of the pics, but after the show? No way I coulda pointed out anyone else that was on the stage besides the band.

Yeah, it looks from the pics that it was maybe a dozen or so. I could move around freely, plenty of room to move and jump around.

I appreciate PatioAin'tDry saying that I was the "most enthused" on the DC stage. I'm sure I still looked like an idiot. But so what? I was on stage with The Stooges.

I can take that to the grave.

9th April 2007 02:39 PM
patioaintdry Looked like an idiot? To the contrary. I was standing in the back against the soundboard partition and would've been right up there with you if I was, er, younger.

I will NEVER forget that show. It was a dream come true for this Detroit native. What a great venue the 9:30 Club is. For you Detroiters, it makes St. Andrews Hall -- while great in its own way -- pale in comparison.

[Edited by patioaintdry]
9th April 2007 07:11 PM
Sir Stonesalot I've seen some GREAT shows at the 9:30 Club. More than I can count without taking off my shoes...

This show was THE greatest of them all. And one of the 3 best shows that I have EVER seen.

Not just because I was on stage either. It was all the band. They are Rock n Roll gods come to earth.

If aliens come to earth and ask me to teach them about Rock n Roll...at one time I would've taken them to see The Stones. But now...I'd take them to see The Stooges. They are the first and last word in the Rock n Roll show.

9th April 2007 07:16 PM
lotsajizz words of wisdom
10th April 2007 11:26 AM
GotToRollMe Today's review from the Gothamist:

http://www.gothamist.com/2007/04/10/iggy_pop_and_the_stooges_play_united_palace_theater.php

April 10, 2007
Iggy Pop and The Stooges Play United Palace Theater
posted by Jen Carlson

Ever wanted to know what it might be like to join Iggy and The Stooges on stage? Last night they played United Palace Theater, and some of those who made the journey to 175th Street were rewarded by being invited on stage with the band. Here's a video which describes the chaos more accurately than words could:

United Palace Theater is of course the venue that has recently begun to host shows (mostly booked by the Bowery Presents folk) normally reserved for the downtown venues. Check out some beautiful photos of the space here, and you'll know why it's worth the trip. Loew's originally opened the Thomas Lamb-designed theater 77 years ago as a "wonder theater" for movies and vaudeville hit shows. In 1969 (a couple of years after The Stooges formed), new owners - Christ United Church - restored the space to its "original magnificence."

Check out some still shots of the show last night, here:
http://flickr.com/photos/lvlewitinn/sets/72157600060962393/
Here are some photos from the above link by Lawrence L:

Here's one to give you an idea of what the venue was like:

Setlist:

Loose
Down On The Street
I Wanna Be Your Dog
TV Eye
Idea Of Fun
Dirt
Real Cool Time
No Fun
Funhouse/L.A. Blues
Skull Ring
Trollin'
She Took My Money
Not Right
I'm Fried
Little Electric Chair

I'll post my own review in a little while. I need more coffee first. And a nap. I feel like I've been run over by a truck...but in a good way.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
10th April 2007 05:30 PM
GotToRollMe Iggy and The Stooges - United Palace, NYC - April 9, 2007

Seeing Iggy and The Stooges at the United Palace in New York City last night was something of a mixed blessing.

On one hand, it was The Fucking Stooges, Man, and they were everything I hoped they would be and then some. What a unit - Scott Asheton on drums and Mike Watt on bass pounding out a heavy, tight, fast locomotive-barely-holdin'-the-rails beat; Ron Asheton on guitar, blaring out the kind of cacophonic genius you usually don't hear outside of jazz - screaming, wailing, rolling guitar; and Steve MacKay on sax, a perfect counterpoint to Ron, weaving in, out and around the guitar, making the kind of noise only THE STOOGES do. And Iggy: The original, one-of-a-kind, often-imitated-but-never-duplicated embodiment of pure rock and roll lust. I've seen him a bunch of times, but seeing him with the Stooges was something else altogether. I've never seen him look so proud and happy of his band. The guy was radiant. He came tripping out looking amazingly good - the photos don't do him justice at all. At nearly 60, the man is in better shape than guys a third his age, eyes clear and sparkling, movin' and shakin' and humpin' and pumpin'.

They ran through just about the same setlist they've been doing for every show this tour - all the Stooges greats with a few from the new album thrown in, as well as "Skull Ring." The absolute high point had to be "Funhouse" though - goddamn, goddamn, goddamn! - Iggy moaning "I'm sick! I'm in pain!" and then screaming and howling like a deranged madman, Ron and Steve blaring industrial-strength noise behind him. It sounded like Godzilla wrecking a train. True rock and roll greatness.

On the other hand, though...the United Palace on 175th Street is a beautiful old vaudeville and movie house that was turned into a church in the late '60s. It may be perfect for some shows, but an Iggy Pop show is not one of them. First of all, it's seated - all the way up to within about 4 feet of the stage. There's absolutely NO room for a pit of any kind. The seats are pretty tight, and it looks like a disaster waiting to happen in terms of fire safety. Anyway, they gave the professional photographers the small space between the front row and the stage for the first three songs or so. As soon as the lights went down I left my 10th row seat and bulled my way up to the front of the center aisle till I hit the security guys. Just before the photogs were done, Iggy jumped off the stage and pretty much landed on top of me and the security guy in front of me, but I saw him coming and bent my head down and took the weight on my back, then with the help of other hands pushed him back up to the stage. He then walked over to stage left, held out his arms and fell into the crowd, then did the same at stage right. Those were the only three times he dove from the stage. Apparently they'd told him that there was no room and that it could be dangerous if he dove into the seats. All I know is he looked extremely frustrated at times and you just knew he was dying to dive off that stage.

Finally, during "Real Cool Time" he started inviting the audience up on stage with him. I'd done this during the "Avenue B" tour and knew that I'd lose my spot; besides I had a feeling it was going to be a zoo, which it was (see the YouTube video in my post above). Sir Stonesalot was very lucky to get up there with a dozen people or so at the 9:30 Club. Last night it looked like there were about 100 people up there, and they just kept jumping up. Security was going crazy, and Iggy's roadie, who's been with him forever, was literally bracing Iggy with his body and giving a sharp elbow to anyone who got too close. The good news is that when everyone rushed the stage, all hell broke loose and I had my chance to cop a sweet spot right up against it, which I held for the rest of the show. It was fuckin' great. I did catch a little Iggysweat in my eyes once in awhile, but it was worth it. Nothin' like bein' up front.

All in all, a night I will never, ever forget. When I walked outta there last night, my ears were hissing, I'd totally lost my voice from screaming, and I was a sweaty mess. Just the way I like it.

I just wanna thank you guys who pushed me to go to this show. I would've regretted it forever if I'd missed it. Once I'd heard the webcast from the 9:30 Club the other night the deal was pretty much sealed in my head that I was going, but Sir Stonesalot's photos definitely helped. So gold rings on yuz.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
10th April 2007 05:35 PM
Gazza "It sounded like Godzilla wrecking a train..."

I love that. Great review, Mary. I'm glad you finally saw sense and decided to go. Glad to hear you had a real cool time.
10th April 2007 05:37 PM
Saint Sway been waiting to read your review all day... thanks!!

sounds awesome! Wish I had made it. So glad you had such a great time!!

cheers!
10th April 2007 05:38 PM
monkey_man GTRM
Kick ass photos and video clip! Can't wait for next Thurs!
MM
10th April 2007 05:42 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

sounds awesome! Wish I had made it.

You didn't go??? Wassamatta you didn't want to pack a bag to go uptown?
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)