ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Auckland Western Springs Speedway,16th April 2006
Thanks Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is there an anti Stones media bias? If so does it hurt sales? Return to archive Page: 1 2
11th April 2006 11:29 AM
Poison Dart Is it me or does the media in the US seem to shit on the Stones at any given opportunity?

The Stones are a prime target for every late night comedian from Jay Leno to David Letterman.

How many times do you hear name Rolling Stones w/out some type of comment about their age? Or the media slag off their new albums (I'd bet my life they never heard the new stuff)no matter how good or bad it is. I agree ABB is not Sticky Fingers. But it is better than the vast majority of crap on the radio today.

In my mind it is clear there is a media bias against the Stones. It is also clear that sometimes ($350 tickets) they deserve it. But most of the time they don't deserve it. And IMHO all the negative press is starting to hurt album sales in the US.

Any thoughts?
11th April 2006 11:34 AM
Ihavelotsajam Since around 1997 or so I think there was a shift in Stones media coverage in the US. Before then, they still got a lot of positive attention and a lot of press in general, despite -some- age jokes: like during SW and VL they were all over MTV and primetime entertainment shows, and award shows.
But since then, yeah, it's definitely been downhill, and I think that it does affect sales somewhat, maybe not too much, though, because their sales are also affected by competition. I think there is now a sense of "how long can they keep this circus going?" and a general lack of being taken seriously because of their age.
11th April 2006 11:37 AM
Break The Spell The Stones were never the media darlings, they love Macca, U2, Coldplay and James Blunt. Lame light night talk show hosts keep recycling the same "Stones are old" jokes because they have no new original material to work with. Hell, Leno still does Monica lewinsky jokes and Letterman still does Clinton jokes. Last I looked, it was free tickets to their shows and up to 500 bucks to see the Stones, that tells you who people really want to see with prices like those.
11th April 2006 11:39 AM
Saint Sway if they had been able to put out a good record or have a hit song at any point over the last 12 years, then I think the coverage would of been more positive. But since the songs sound half-assed, they are universally seen as a nostalgia act. Thus, the jokes about their age and continued touring.
11th April 2006 11:53 AM
Ihavelotsajam Voodoo Lounge was not a very good record, despite what some here claim. Yet during it, they got positive coverage. Even from teenybop stations like MTV. Product quality is only a small part of what the press decides to spin.
11th April 2006 11:55 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:
Voodoo Lounge was not a very good record, despite what some here claim. Yet during it, they got positive coverage. Even from teenybop stations like MTV. Product quality is only a small part of what the press decides to spin.

Agreed, I felt ABB was an improved uptempo version of what they were going for on VL. However, if you look at whats popular now, everything from Mariah Carey to Kanye West to Coldplay, there was just no room for any type of promotion from radio, MTV and other media outlets.
[Edited by Break The Spell]
11th April 2006 12:49 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:
Voodoo Lounge was not a very good record, despite what some here claim. Yet during it, they got positive coverage. Even from teenybop stations like MTV. Product quality is only a small part of what the press decides to spin.

A Bigger Bang got positive covergare in the Dutch press but both Amsterdam shows are not sold out. When they released (indeed) weak albums like Voodoo Lounge and Bridges they got negative coverage and the Amsterdam Arena sold out five times.
11th April 2006 01:10 PM
Ihavelotsajam Yeah, I think that the effect media has on Stones fans is very minimal. On the general public, they have more of an effect, but again not that big of an effect. I think Holland has a ticket price + oversaturation reason for not selling well more than anything else.
[Edited by Ihavelotsajam]
11th April 2006 02:00 PM
Jumping Jack Like I needed another reason to loathe the main stream media.
11th April 2006 02:02 PM
jb I been posting the media bias for over 10 yrs!!!! It has dramamtically impacted our sales, legacy, relevancy in a negative way. The media, led by Fox News, hates the Stones!!!!
Holland has totally abandoned the Stones and all shows should be canceled to punish the ungrateful audience!!!
11th April 2006 02:06 PM
Jumping Jack Will CNN welcome the Stones back to the ATL?
11th April 2006 02:06 PM
Mel Belli For every negative story, I'd wager there's at least two slobbering fawn-jobs.
11th April 2006 02:18 PM
jb
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Will CNN welcome the Stones back to the ATL?

Sophia Choi is so fuckable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11th April 2006 02:22 PM
voodoopug the media does hate the stones and always attacks them any chance they get.

We must look past that. I do beleive it hurts sales. My basis is that the media all but makes love to Bono/U2 and their subpar recent releases are hailed as the next Exile by every one with a microphone.
11th April 2006 02:26 PM
Jumping Jack Christi Paul?
11th April 2006 02:28 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
the media does hate the stones and always attacks them any chance they get.

We must look past that. I do beleive it hurts sales. My basis is that the media all but makes love to Bono/U2 and their subpar recent releases are hailed as the next Exile by every one with a microphone.

True, and also don't forget their the same critics who hailed Macca's last album as his best ever and call Coldplay this generations Pink Floyd!!
11th April 2006 02:31 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
the media does hate the stones and always attacks them any chance they get.

Pug,
When you attend U2 shows, is it because of their glowing reviews from the press? Or is it strictly out of your devout love of their music?
11th April 2006 02:35 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

Pug,
When you attend U2 shows, is it because of their glowing reviews from the press? Or is it strictly out of your devout love of their music?

Glencar has volunteered to answer your questions please forward them to him.

Your recent refusal to attend the Fall mini tour speaks volumes. You can no longer be considered a true fan, just a passerby! Best of luck my young friend.
11th April 2006 02:40 PM
Saint Sway I already gave at the office.

skipping the latest milking, thank you.
11th April 2006 03:02 PM
rasputin56 Too funny.
11th April 2006 03:09 PM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

Pug,

You have sadly, reminded Pug of his attendance at a U2 show....The Pug deserves the respect of all big/tall men(see LBJ circa 63-68)
[Edited by jb]
11th April 2006 03:19 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
For every negative story, I'd wager there's at least two slobbering fawn-jobs.

Yes but which ones are paid more attention? You yourself show which ones are to be taken more seriously, by calling the bad ones "negative" and good ones "fawn jobs".
11th April 2006 03:20 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

You have sadly, reminded Pug of his attendance at a U2 show....The Pug deserves the respect of all big/tall men(see LBJ circa 63-68)
[Edited by jb]

It is proof as to how much I love my wife.
11th April 2006 03:25 PM
Riffhard Sure the Stones get shit coverage these days. That's old news(no pun intended),but you know what they say? You don't miss the water 'till the well runs dry. Once the Stones hang it up then they will be hailed as the greatest ever. Rightfully so.

Riffy
11th April 2006 03:33 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Sure the Stones get shit coverage these days. That's old news(no pun intended),but you know what they say? You don't miss the water 'till the well runs dry. Once the Stones hang it up then they will be hailed as the greatest ever. Rightfully so.

Riffy

True, it will be a case of "don't know what you got till its gone" for the media who treated them badly. No one can argue with their output or their longevity and their legacy will only increase after they are gone. Does anyone see Coldplay or James Blunt being around in 2046 and having a career as prolific as the Stones?? Doubtful!!
11th April 2006 03:36 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Sure the Stones get shit coverage these days. That's old news(no pun intended),but you know what they say? You don't miss the water 'till the well runs dry. Once the Stones hang it up then they will be hailed as the greatest ever. Rightfully so.

Riffy

Yes, I agree. Becoming dead is the greatest achievement in the eyes of the braindead media. Far greater achievement than longevity.
11th April 2006 03:58 PM
rasputin56 Oh, you guys were serious. Carry on.
11th April 2006 04:48 PM
Some Guy playa hatin' bitches
11th April 2006 06:56 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

Yes but which ones are paid more attention? You yourself show which ones are to be taken more seriously, by calling the bad ones "negative" and good ones "fawn jobs".

You make a good point. But I'll add that I think that the hatchet jobs tend to be just as thoughtless and cliche-ridden as the glowing ones. It's rare that someone writes something fresh and insightful about the Stones, or finds a new angle on Mick or Keith. After more than 40 years of press, it's probably close to impossible.
11th April 2006 07:38 PM
lotsajizz I hate to agree with Riffy twice in a month, but his comments concerning the fickle/'grass is always greener' mentality of the media is dead on....like with Elvis, they shit all over him his final years with the fat jokes and what-not, ignoring that he could put on GREAT show, even towards the end
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)