ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Auckland Western Springs Speedway,16th April 2006
Thanks Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Paint it black: devotee's plea gets satisfaction Return to archive
11th April 2006 04:52 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Paint it black: devotee's plea gets satisfaction

By Patrick Donovan
April 11, 2006
The Age

WHAT do you give a Rolling Stones fanatic for his 40th birthday?

After seeing a television documentary this year about Stones guitarist Ron Wood and his knack for painting, Miranda Young looked into buying one of his artworks as a present for her husband James.

But with original paintings going for about $60,000 and signed limited-edition prints fetching at least $4000, she thought she was priced out of the market.

Then she thought of the chorus to a Stones song: "You can't always get what you want, but if you try some time, you might find, you get what you need."

"I could not afford that, so I thought, damn it, I will write Ron Wood a letter and tell him about James, how he has loved the band all his life, has a Stones tongue tattoo on his inner thigh, and has written many articles about them."

Such as the one about the Youngs building a shrine in their East St Kilda house where they keep a whisky glass that Keith Richards drank from at a 1995 Melbourne news conference.

Ms Young tracked down the address of Wood's brother Jamie, who runs a gallery in Britain that looks after Ron's art, and sent him the information in the hope of receiving a fan discount on a tiny original painting.

To her surprise, Jamie replied that he and Ron loved the stories and offered one of four Ron Wood prints as a gift. She chose a painting of Keith Richards in the eye of the storm on stage.

"They could see what I could see in his love of the band," Ms Young said. "They even paid postage, asking nothing, just giving a fan a present. I don't even think they knew how much it would affect him. James cried and loved it because it was given to him for his stories and love of the whole Rolling Stones, from a man who is a giant in the music world and his kind brother."

It holds pride of place in their "rock room", hanging alongside Richards' glass.

The Youngs will be among 12,000 fans at the Stones' only Melbourne show at Rod Laver Arena on Thursday. About 120 technical crew and 25 trucks carrying production gear arrive in Melbourne tomorrow.

Fans who missed out on tickets will be heading to the North Melbourne Town Hall Hotel tomorrow night for a Stones tribute night.

11th April 2006 06:49 AM
Break The Spell Great story, Ron has some pretty good work. I'd love to have one myself, yet the prices are a tad out of my league. As we just read, maybe it will help to write in and tell of your love for the band. I don't know if I can compete with the last guy, I've got no tongue tattoo on my inner thigh or anything.
11th April 2006 07:32 AM
glencar Nice guy!
12th April 2006 07:19 AM
Bitch I was recently at an art gallery in NY and was talking to the owner about Woody's work. He told me 3 of Woodys signed oriniginals have recently sold for a whopping ONE MILLION DOLLARS EACH!!! The values of Woody's artwork has skyrocketed, so anyone who was lucky enough to have purchased an original Woody has not only a great piece of art but has made a wise investment.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)