ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Auckland Western Springs Speedway,16th April 2006
Thanks Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Rolling Stones At The BBC? Return to archive
11th April 2006 04:39 AM
Honky Tonk Man As good a boot as Beep, Beep At The Beeb is, does anyone here agree that it’s a travesty that an official CD has yet to be released? I've always thought the reason as to why the Stones have held out is because Jagger still sees the band as current, but lets face it, the live shows are on the whole, a nostalgia fest and I'd say the Stones of today are pretty far removed from who they were in the days of radio programmes such as Saturday Club and Top Gear. Nearly EVERY other band, from, Hendrix to the Move have had a BBC Sessions CD, so come on, let's have a Stones release soon!
11th April 2006 05:15 AM
Voodoo Scrounge agreed mate.
11th April 2006 06:45 AM
Break The Spell I'd love to see it, as well as a true rarities box set, as well as a DVD of all the music videos, as well as classic concerts officially released on DVD, and so much more. As we all know this will all be on the shelf until the band ceases to be. You have to wonder how many gems are truly there.
11th April 2006 07:07 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I can see them coming out very soon.

Im not sure on the state of play with regards to the Stones connections with Virgin. But if they were to leave, then that wouldopen the door for Virgin to release some stuff
11th April 2006 07:36 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
I can see them coming out very soon.

Im not sure on the state of play with regards to the Stones connections with Virgin. But if they were to leave, then that wouldopen the door for Virgin to release some stuff

Thats what I've been thinking too. I wonder how long Klein will sit on all the 60's stuff?? Some tend to think he'll keep a grip on it until his death.
11th April 2006 08:04 AM
Voodoo Scrounge
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

Thats what I've been thinking too. I wonder how long Klein will sit on all the 60's stuff?? Some tend to think he'll keep a grip on it until his death.

I cant see any poitn in him doing that. I think he will release it just when it will piss Jagger off the most.
11th April 2006 08:06 AM
Nellcote I thought they all kissed & made up, and the result was the joint release "40 Licks"?
11th April 2006 08:22 AM
gimmekeef With some of the sound upgrades done by Sister Morphine and others..who really needs to pay for an "official" release?....I'm happy with the way it sounds now....has the real 60's feel.I'd prefer not to have a bunch of overdubs ruin the mood....Just my opinion....
11th April 2006 09:04 AM
Break The Spell If nothing else though, a BBC collection would be great, no overdubs, just a great collection of the original mixes with liner notes and pictures. The Cream collection was done well.
11th April 2006 10:25 AM
Gazza there was talk of such a release coming out in early 1998 when a few more 'lost' songs were unearthed, but nothing ever came of it
11th April 2006 01:06 PM
rocky hi.this is a great dbl cd..there is a veriosn of it's all over now..on the boot.gravestones/rape of the vaults.
but thay found the most of the stones bbc broadcasts..
there was some stones ready steady go broadcasts too,,and it's real live 1965. rocky
11th April 2006 01:29 PM
Gazza "Ready Steady Go" was a TV show on ITV, so has no connection with the BBC and couldnt/wouldnt be included on any BBC release.
11th April 2006 04:12 PM
rocky hi...ok your'e right...it's not easy to know all the tv stations names..in sweden those days.we only got one tv channel.sveriges televison. rocky
11th April 2006 06:44 PM
Gazza I would imagine any such BBC album would come exclusively from the radio broadcasts on the BBC "Light" programme (which later became Radio 1 in 1967) - ie Joe Loss Show, Top Gear, Saturday Club etc

I doubt any of them would come from TV broadcasts which were usually lip synched or featured a live vocal over a backing track.
11th April 2006 07:23 PM
Soldatti It's a shame that we didn't get an official release of the BBC sessions yet. EVERYONE released the damn thing, except the Stones.
No BBC sessions, but we got Rarities!!!
12th April 2006 09:29 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
It's a shame that we didn't get an official release of the BBC sessions yet. EVERYONE released the damn thing, except the Stones.
No BBC sessions, but we got Rarities!!!

Spot on!

After reading in this thread about the rumours of a BBC CD in the late 90's, I'm come to the conclusion that it isn’t the Stones themselves who are holding it back. It's the BBC. They really need to get their arse in gear. Surely it'd be Alan Klein who would be involved wit this kind of project and we all know how he likes money. It'll happen.
12th April 2006 10:20 AM
Soldatti
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Spot on!

After reading in this thread about the rumours of a BBC CD in the late 90's, I'm come to the conclusion that it isn’t the Stones themselves who are holding it back. It's the BBC. They really need to get their arse in gear. Surely it'd be Alan Klein who would be involved wit this kind of project and we all know how he likes money. It'll happen.

Very true
12th April 2006 10:29 AM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Spot on!

I disagree. I think its the Stones, and Jagger in particular. If the problems with ABCKO can be overcome to release "40 Licks", then surely they can work together for something else. The BBC have released several of these type of CDs in recent years. For them to drag their feet on a Stones release makes no sense at all.

Mick simply doesnt seem to be interested in ploughing the archives for unreleased material - yer paradoxically HE is the one most responsible for 'safe' setlists and the band seem to have no qualms at all at issuing and reissuing compilation after compilation.

If there is one musical act on the planet who need a good hard kick up the arse regarding the way they manage their archives its the Rolling Stones. Its all very well people saying that this stuff will come out when theyre gone. The problem is that by the time that happens, will anyone care?

It would take little effort on the band's part to entrust someone to take care of their archive and 'select' stuff for release, subject to their approval (the way the Grateful Dead have done through the years and Dylan more recently). And ideally make it someone with some grasp of the band's history and what is in the archives - not the sort of clueless arseclags who assembled the abortion that is "Rarities".

I would give my left ball to have access to all of that material and to assemble something. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

This material should have started to come out during the long hiatus between BTB and ABB. That eight year gap with no new material (ok, 4 songs - big whoop) which covered a period that saw the band's 40th anniversary was an ideal time to have started opening the vaults. A 'vaults' release would have been an idea follow up to 40 Licks. But no, they stick out another fucking live album (which was already released on a DVD a year earlier) which sells about five copies.

There's no doubt in my mind that such a long time between new releases has made the record buying public forget them to a large extent, which may explain the lacklustre sales of their latest album.

[Edited by Gazza]
13th April 2006 03:32 AM
Honky Tonk Man I actually wanted to raise this in my initial post!

Was the Beep, Beep At The Beeb bootleg originaly start life as a once official Decca German LP? I ssem to recall that I read somewhere that it was released around 1965, but quickly deleted.

Can anyone shed any light?
13th April 2006 03:33 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I think we will have to wait for the band to die before we see any real gems released. Shame though
13th April 2006 07:41 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
I think we will have to wait for the band to die before we see any real gems released. Shame though

Thats what I'm afraid of, as who knows how long that may take. I think it would only hurt them to keep sitting on such material, as great unreleased stuff could only help to generate interest in the band to those who have never got the chance to hear any of it before.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)