ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Auckland Western Springs Speedway,16th April 2006
Thanks Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Last of the Rock Stars Return to archive
11th April 2006 04:39 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Ronnie Spector

Oscar Rose

The Last Of The Rock Stars
Released: 10/04/2006

www.megastar.co.uk

“Welcome return for the world's sexiest voice,” says Classic Rock’s review of The Last Of the Rock Stars.

The lead singer of 1960s girl group The Ronnettes, Ronnie’s got a pretty impressive track record – working with the Beatles among others.

On this album she teams up with a few big names – from The Rolling Stones’ Keith Richards to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

If you listen to this album with an open mind, there’s a lot to like about it.

A powerful voice teaming up with some of the biggest names in music – past and present – and a selection of classic tracks.

Listen out for new single – the third track on the album – All I Want. It puts the manufactured processed plastic pop which graces our charts today to shame.

Proper music, this album deserves to be a proper hit.
11th April 2006 06:52 AM
Break The Spell Great singer, though there is no mention of her work with Eddie Money. She did back up vocals on "Take Me Home" Tonight" with her classic "be my little baby" line.
11th April 2006 08:27 AM
gimmekeef Break..so that line was Ronnie Spector?...wow thanks always a classic line I've loved.Which tune(s) is Keith on I wonder??
11th April 2006 08:58 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Break..so that line was Ronnie Spector?...wow thanks always a classic line I've loved.Which tune(s) is Keith on I wonder??

I sense a touch of sarcasm with that. :} Its OK, I'm just used to having to explain things like that to people my age who don't know any better. The gangsta rap generation, ya know.
[Edited by Break The Spell]
11th April 2006 10:02 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Ronnie Spector
Last of the Rock Stars
High Coin, £11.99
Arts Telegraph 3/31/06

Brian Wilson drove off the road when he first heard the Ronettes' Be My Baby in 1963. He still claims it's the best pop single ever made. Blasting through Phil Spector's wall of sound was Ronnie Bennett's impassioned, teenage, Brooklyn-accented "Oh-wuh-wuh-oh-oh". You could practically hear the kirby grips pinging from her beehive.

Then she married Spector, who locked her away from her public. Although the couple divorced in 1973, it seems she has never emotionally stepped beyond the walls that the producer (who's currently on trial for murder) built up around her. And listening to her now is spooky: she has a teenager's voice cracked by age, rather than that of a mature woman.

It makes Last of the Rock Stars a compelling experience. Some of it is car-crash cringeworthy - the stagey bantering with Keith Richards on Ike Turner's Work Out Fine is particularly bad. But elsewhere she picks up a punkish energy that is a sheer joy. And the single, Amy Rigby's All I Want (with Keef on guitar), finds the sixty-something who once pleaded so powerfully for puppy love rasping that "all I want is a little pat on the back". Helen Brown

11th April 2006 10:08 AM
Ten Thousand Motels 'I will do this until I drop'
By Bernard Zuel
April 1, 2006
Sydney Morning Herald

Who needs a plot synopsis when a book is called Be My Baby: How I Survived Mascara, Miniskirts and Madness?

That's what Ronnie Spector called her 1990 autobiography, a frank tale of a New York girl who went from imitating Frankie Lymon to leading the definitive "girl group", the Ronettes, through a slew of hit singles in the early '60s such as Baby I Love You, Be My Baby and Walking in the Rain.

Along the way she was propositioned by each of the Beatles, lusted after by all of the Rolling Stones and then married the brilliant but dangerous Ronettes producer, Phil Spector. The same man who locked her away in gilded mansions filled with guns, alcohol and drugs, demanding she be a wife not a singer and whose shadow lay over her for nearly two decades after their 1973 divorce. Indeed, the same Phil Spector who goes to trial later this year on a charge of murder.

Not that you will see even his name mentioned on Ronnie Spector's website. There a lengthy biography from birth in 1943 as Veronica Bennett to a new album, her first full-length recording since 1987 - but it avoids any mention of Phil Spector. A legal or personal choice?

"It's both personal and legal," says Ronnie Spector down the phone, the New York honk in her voice as prominent as her throaty tone. "I just don't feel right about that guy and I know what he did. I don't like talking about it but people will know soon enough about it. But to tell you the truth, I don't like to kick a dog while it's down ... I want to get on with my future and rock'n'roll and be happy. That's how I was before [him] and I am still the same way."

She has earned the right to get through a day or another interview without having to explain her former husband. Remarried for 20 years, to her manager, with two children, Spector comes brandishing an album of new material that finds her joined by faces past (Keith Richards, Patti Smith and the late Joey Ramone) and present (young bands such as Danish '60s-inspired duo the Raveonettes, New Yorkers the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and R&B revivalists from Ohio, The Greenhornes).

In keeping with its anything-but-shy title, The Last of the Rock Stars, the album is a rugged pop-rock record. Spector once said: "Most of the groups I worked with 30 years ago are either dead or dead broke. And it's a shame." How did she escape that fate?

"I love singing on stage so much," she says. "A lot of people that do it don't necessarily love it; a lot of them do it for the money or the girls. I truly love what I do ... All these dancers and choreography and smoke, it's really covering up the people who aren't really good performers or a singer. I'm fun, happy, sweaty, sexy and enjoying every minute of it."

Was there ever a time when it was too painful to be fun?

"No. Never." She is adamant. "I will do this until I drop. If I'm on stage singing and drop dead, I'll die very happy. I love it. It was nearly taken away from me but I leave that behind. I need to talk about my future because most people talk about my past.

"The main thing is I am here today and I love rock'n'roll more than ever. I was interrupted for a while, but every day in the studio I'd put my headphones on and it was like making love to that microphone, eyes closed and feeling every word because every song on my new CD is about a part of my life."

Ronnie Spector's The Last of the Rock Stars is out now on Laughing Outlaw

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
12th April 2006 01:22 PM
jb She sang with Eddie "2 tickets too paradise" Money in the 80's!!! Where is Eddie Money?
12th April 2006 01:24 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
jb wrote:
She sang with Eddie "2 tickets too paradise" Money in the 80's!!! Where is Eddie Money?

He's coming soon to a small bar near us all....Or opening for REO Speedwagon...
12th April 2006 01:24 PM
jb
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

He's coming soon to a small bar near us all....Or opening for REO Speedwagon...

This was a great man...a real working class singer....
12th April 2006 01:25 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

I sense a touch of sarcasm with that. :} Its OK, I'm just used to having to explain things like that to people my age who don't know any better. The gangsta rap generation, ya know.
[Edited by Break The Spell]

Break..no sarcasm..really didnt know that..and I do love that line in that song....thanks for pointing it out..It'll make for good trivia when I play her new album...
12th April 2006 01:36 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Break..no sarcasm..really didnt know that..and I do love that line in that song....thanks for pointing it out..It'll make for good trivia when I play her new album...

Oh cool, glad I could help then!! I figured there's not many die-hard Ronnie Spector & Eddie Money fans on this board so thats why I pointed it out. Enjoy the album...
12th April 2006 07:45 PM
Gazza Always loved her cover of "Say Goodbye to Hollywood" which she did in the mid 70's with the E-Street Band (sans Bruce who wasnt allowed to record at the time due to a managerial dispute) and which Steve van Zandt produced.

Well worth looking for. Great singer
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)