ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Auckland Western Springs Speedway,16th April 2006
Thanks Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck Return to archive
10th April 2006 11:31 PM
gorda There's this book by American author, John Steinbeck, called "The Grapes of Wrath". It is about the discrimination of migrant field workers during the Great Depression. No, these migrant field workers were not Mexican. They were "Okies", white Americans who had traveled to California in hopes of a new life. They had lost their farms to a dustbowl. Anyways, read it if you get a chance. Or rent the movie with Henry Fonda.

It will teach you something about the human condition.

Also, there is this other book by Mario Puzo. Before, he wrote the Godfather series. In fact, he just wrote those books because he couldn't get his other stuff published. Once, he became a celebrated author, he published his original works. Anyways, I can't think of the exact title, I think it's called, "The Pilgrim" (not sure.)

Also, Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt, the Irish immigrant experience.

Lots a good books out there.

10th April 2006 11:33 PM
lotsajizz good movie too...Fonda at his best

10th April 2006 11:34 PM
gorda The name of Mario Puzo's book is "The Fortunate Pilgrim"
11th April 2006 07:45 AM
Break The Spell Great movie and book. I had to read it in high school, didn't fully appriciate it at the time. I rediscovered it about a year ago. In many ways, it is contemporary once again.
11th April 2006 09:03 AM
nanatod After we had finished reading "The Grapes of Wrath" in junior year in high school, our teacher asked us rhetorically, "Do you ever wonder what would have happened to the Joad family after the book ends?"

He would pause for effect. "During World War II, they would have gotten jobs in defense plants, moved to Orange County, and voted Republican."

11th April 2006 09:07 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
nanatod wrote:
"During World War II, they would have gotten jobs in defense plants, moved to Orange County, and voted Republican."

Hopefully they would have names as creative as Cruz Boostamonte.
11th April 2006 09:10 AM
mac_daddy one of my all-time favorite books...

springsteen dug it, too - as that is where tom joad (as in "the ghost of tom joad") comes from...

11th April 2006 04:55 PM
gorda
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

Hopefully they would have names as creative as Cruz Boostamonte.

It's Cruz Bustamante!

P.S. I met him once in Sacramento, back when Davis was still governor. I have a picture with Cruz Bustamante. The thing that pisses me off was that I forgot to take off my shades. Oh, well.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)