ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Auckland Western Springs Speedway,16th April 2006
Thanks Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Lets be honest about the boots Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
10th April 2006 02:30 PM
gimmekeef pdog..I'm still waiting for that knot to give way on that gals shirt top.......
10th April 2006 02:34 PM
pdog It's better like this, leaves more to the imagination.
10th April 2006 02:38 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Greetings to a fellow Metallic K.O. fan!<

I love Metallic K.O., and I consider it to be essential Iggy & The Stooges. But it really isn't a bootleg.

I was not aware of this term before I read the book "Bootleg: A Secret History of the Other Recording Industry", but Metallic K.O. is what is called a "protection gap" release. It is an actual legitimate release, with royalties paid to the artist. It was released and manufactured in, if memory serves, Holland. Holland had, at the time of Metallic K.O's release, some holes in it's copyright protection laws...or a "protection gap". This allowed the record to be put out as a legitimate release....in Holland. Now here is the goofy thing. It would be illegal for a retail store in the US to stock it....but you could legally order a copy for yourself from a retailer in Holland. It's not a bootleg unless you try to sell it in the US for US dollars! You can buy it mail order on import, and legally own it...but you can't resell it. You can't even sell it to a used music store at a loss without breaking the law.

The EU has since tightened up on it's "protection gaps". Italy and Russia are the only countries to still lag behind....and as such are a haven for the "quasi-legit" record labels. Thankfully.
10th April 2006 03:07 PM
Egbert
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>Greetings to a fellow Metallic K.O. fan!<

I love Metallic K.O., and I consider it to be essential Iggy & The Stooges. But it really isn't a bootleg.

I was not aware of this term before I read the book "Bootleg: A Secret History of the Other Recording Industry", but Metallic K.O. is what is called a "protection gap" release. It is an actual legitimate release, with royalties paid to the artist. It was released and manufactured in, if memory serves, Holland. Holland had, at the time of Metallic K.O's release, some holes in it's copyright protection laws...or a "protection gap". This allowed the record to be put out as a legitimate release....in Holland. Now here is the goofy thing. It would be illegal for a retail store in the US to stock it....but you could legally order a copy for yourself from a retailer in Holland. It's not a bootleg unless you try to sell it in the US for US dollars! You can buy it mail order on import, and legally own it...but you can't resell it. You can't even sell it to a used music store at a loss without breaking the law.

The EU has since tightened up on it's "protection gaps". Italy and Russia are the only countries to still lag behind....and as such are a haven for the "quasi-legit" record labels. Thankfully.

I was referring more to your love of all things lo-fi than the boot status of "K.O." but thanks for the info. I saw "2xK.O." at Tower last weekend - would the same apply to that?
10th April 2006 04:10 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oddly enough...no.

There are some "bootleg" releases that were so popular that official releases were done. Like The Basement Tapes, and Prince's The Black Album. Metallic K.O. was so legendary that it ended up getting an official release...with extras.

I haven't heard it yet. But if they tried to clean it up, I'm guessing that they fucked it up too. There are just some things that should not get messed with...and that is one of 'em, IMO. I saw someone in the Neil thread said that they wished for a remastered and cleaned up "Tonight's The Night". If they clean that up, they take away all the ambient charm...it won't sound right.

Now, I don't want you to think that I'm all lo-fi. Lo-fi lends itself to very specific types of music. A lo-fi approach wouldn't work at all with BeBop Jazz, for instance. Or for something like Pink Floyd. Or Napalm Death.

But lo-fi does have it's place. And in Bootlegdom, it reigns supreme.

I have no idea what these guys are going on about. The Stones have NEVER been a high fidelity type band.
10th April 2006 05:30 PM
Joey
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

I have no idea what these guys are going on about. The Stones have NEVER been a high fidelity type band.

See : Steely Dan
10th April 2006 06:16 PM
pdog
quote:
Joey wrote:

See : Steely Dan

Why?
10th April 2006 10:19 PM
Egbert
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I saw someone in the Neil thread said that they wished for a remastered and cleaned up "Tonight's The Night". If they clean that up, they take away all the ambient charm...it won't sound right.

That was me. I wouldn't want it to sound different, just louder, cause when I have it my CD player on random play with 4 remastered discs I don't wanna have to turn the volume up when a TTN song comes up because I'm lazy like that.

I do have Metallic 2xK.O. and am not sure if it's even possible to clean that stuff up.
11th April 2006 11:52 AM
Sir Stonesalot >I don't wanna have to turn the volume up when a TTN song comes up because I'm lazy like that.<

That's why God invented the remote control...
11th April 2006 12:01 PM
Egbert
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>I don't wanna have to turn the volume up when a TTN song comes up because I'm lazy like that.<

That's why God invented the remote control...

Point well taken but then I have to find where I left the damn thing amongst the couch pillows and blankets and half the time, especially when buzzed, I'll hit the wrong button...

Clearly, a remastered TTN would make my life so much less complicated. I'll hang on to my old copy if they do manage to mess the sound up.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)