ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Auckland Western Springs Speedway,16th April 2006
Thanks Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Lets be honest about the boots Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
7th April 2006 10:21 AM
jb I will preface this by saying that I have not ttended one bad show this tour(17) and the sound has been much better than the last 3 tours. Nonetheless, I don't understand why people are so caught up with obtaining boots/dvd's of the shows. Theyu sound, imo, atrocious, and do not do justice to the band. I have yet to hear a post 81 boot, with a few exceptions, that sounds fantastic. Even listening to the "soundboard" quality CopaCabana show was very disappointing. None of the morder n era boots come close to any of the boots from th3 72-81 period. I urge all of you to stop this insanity ....thank you.
7th April 2006 10:23 AM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
I will preface this by saying that I have not ttended one bad show this tour(17) and the sound has been much better than the last 3 tours. Nonetheless, I don't understand why people are so caught up with obtaining boots/dvd's of the shows. Theyu sound, imo, atrocious, and do not do justice to the band. I have yet to hear a post 81 boot, with a few exceptions, that sounds fantastic. Even listening to the "soundboard" quality CopaCabana show was very disappointing. None of the morder n era boots come close to any of the boots from th3 72-81 period. I urge all of you to stop this insanity ....thank you.

Copa was "Broadcast" not soundboard. But I tend to agree. WHile I am guilty of collecting these recordings, the performances should dreadful compared to being there and are tarnishing my view of the current band.
7th April 2006 10:27 AM
jb That's my point Puggerler, the boots are leaving a tarnished legacy of some very great shows...I received a beautiful dvd of MSG/Lauderdale, and while the video was great, it was painful to hear what was coming out of my 20k surround sound unit..............
7th April 2006 10:34 AM
Egbert If only Taylor had never left...
[Edited by Egbert]
7th April 2006 10:39 AM
Jumping Jack I can enjoy the Copa CDs in my Lexus on the way to work, but in general I agree that most audience recorded CDs and DVDs sound like sh*t. If people want to collect them as a hobby or as a token of a show they have attended I have no issue with that, but using them as a measure of how well a band has played is absurd.

I have read comments about how much better the band played at Rio than previous nights because the reviewer was listening to a broadcast rather than an audience recording. This is pure stupidity. CD boots are an extremely poor representation of the true concert sound.

Respectfully,

The owner of a few boots
7th April 2006 10:44 AM
jb
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I can enjoy the Copa CDs in my Lexus on the way to work, but in general I agree that most audience recorded CDs and DVDs sound like sh*t. If people want to collect them as a hobby or as a token of a show they have attended I have no issue with that, but using them as a measure of how well a band has played is absurd.

I have read comments about how much better the band played at Rio than previous nights because the reviewer was listening to a broadcast rather than an audience recording. This is pure stupidity. CD boots are an extremely poor representation of the true concert sound.

Respectfully,

The owner of a few boots

Very smart analysis from someone I respect....the boots are clearly not indicative of the shows we attended.
7th April 2006 10:55 AM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

Very smart analysis from someone I respect....the boots are clearly not indicative of the shows we attended.

i concur
7th April 2006 10:59 AM
Mikey I agree with JB.

Additionally, its hard for me to get worked up in obtaining every boot of each show, when 90% of the setlist is the same.

I mean, I love JJF, but I can only hear so many "different" versions of it....

7th April 2006 11:01 AM
glencar I generally only play the first half of shows at this point. I agree the boots don't wow me anymore. But I'd still like one of the RCMH show!
7th April 2006 11:26 AM
gimmekeef Its more the thrill of the hunt than the satisfaction of good quality sound.Considering the bands sound this tour I thought we'd have more sources and better quality.Me thinks the tapers arent into paying $400 a seat!.Some good 94 boots exist though.Glencar I have RCMH and find it barely listenable from a sound perspective..7.5 at best imho...
7th April 2006 11:30 AM
Break The Spell The boots I've got from this tour have been in various quality, ranging from very good to below average. What I've done is make my own two disc set of the best sounding version of the best songs played on this tour.
[Edited by Break The Spell]
7th April 2006 11:32 AM
pdog If Bill was still in the band, we'd hear better live recordings... He played for audience recorders.
7th April 2006 11:33 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
The boots I've got from this tour have been in various quality, ranging from very good to below average. What I've done is make my own two disc set of the best sounding version of the best songs played on this tour.
[Edited by Break The Spell]

Break..."I dont need the aggravation I'm a lazy slob..." so could you please outline your private choices so I can copy?..thanks...lol
7th April 2006 11:35 AM
pdog Best of the best stuff, is alot of hardwork, but at least personally very satisfying... Sometimes appreciated by others...
7th April 2006 11:35 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Break..."I dont need the aggravation I'm a lazy slob..." so could you please outline your private choices so I can copy?..thanks...lol

Hang Fire...anyway, I've got the sources at home, I'll have to get back with ya later on that one. Some of the better sounding ones I have are from Atlanta and Rio.
7th April 2006 11:37 AM
gimmekeef You have Atlanta sources!!!!!?????...
7th April 2006 11:39 AM
Saint Sway few fans know this, but in addition to be the greatest guitar player ever, Mick Taylor was also an amazing and highly regarded taper. Brussells 73 was a stealth recording he made with a hidden mic in his trousers.

the quality of the bands bootleg recordings have been noticibly down hill since he left. (with the exception of Kansas '81... coincidence?)
7th April 2006 11:40 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
You have Atlanta sources!!!!!?????...

I wish I had the whole show, its not complete yet sad to say. They had a great set list there, and from what I have its one of the better sounding shows I've got of the tour so far.
7th April 2006 11:42 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
few fans know this, but in addition to be the greatest guitar player ever, Mick Taylor was also an amazing and highly regarded taper. Brussells 73 was a stealth recording he made with a hidden mic in his trousers.

the quality of the bands bootleg recordings have been noticibly down hill since he left. (with the exception of Kansas '81... coincidence?)

Taylor couldnt fit a mic in his pants these days.....
7th April 2006 11:44 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
few fans know this, but in addition to be the greatest guitar player ever, Mick Taylor was also an amazing and highly regarded taper. Brussells 73 was a stealth recording he made with a hidden mic in his trousers.

Speaking of the 73 tour, wasn't there a guy who followed the band around that year and captured lots of footage on Super 8 film?? I wonder if he ever plans on releasing any of it. If they could match it up with the best sounding tapes of each show, we'd finally have some good video of that tour. How great would it be to have a high quality video of the Brussels show!!
7th April 2006 12:17 PM
Jumping Jack I would enjoy the setlist complaints more if they were spoken into a tape recorder, transferred to CD, then uploaded as a torrent than simply posted here as text. Much of the true angst and passion is lost in this sanitized process.
7th April 2006 12:19 PM
Joey " I have yet to hear a post 81 boot, with a few exceptions, that sounds fantastic. "

I absolutely LOVE listening to boots from the 1981 Tour .

Whenever I hear any track off of " Hampton '81 " I get that " The Party Has Just Started Feeling " .

Indeed , I hear barkers and see's colored balloons falling down all around me .... and you ?!?!

JJJJJJJJJJJACKY !!!!!!!!
7th April 2006 12:23 PM
Dan
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Taylor couldnt fit a mic in his pants these days.....

Actually it seems bigger guys seem to have have an easier time getting stuff in for some reason.

Me? I fucking love bootlegs. And I love recording concerts and listening back. In most cases that alone is more fulfilling than just a concert. I only collected a few from this tour though and I mostly just collect DVDs now. Love a good audience filmed DVD. Turn off the lights, down a few cold ones, light one up and its almost like I am right there except without all the hassles that usually accompany the concert experience.

7th April 2006 12:25 PM
Shawn20 If a boot is not a good representation of the show, please explain all of the great sounding boots from the 78 tour.
7th April 2006 12:39 PM
Jumping Jack The best 78 boots are from radio broadcast not audience recording.
7th April 2006 12:40 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
jb wrote:
That's my point Puggerler, the boots are leaving a tarnished legacy of some very great shows...I received a beautiful dvd of MSG/Lauderdale, and while the video was great, it was painful to hear what was coming out of my 20k surround sound unit..............

20K? Geez JB, I thought you were a high roller? You need to step up into the 30-40k range if you wanna have a system worthy of talking about!

Perhaps a THX Ultra 2, fitted to a DTS-20 sub system topped off by a DP-S500 amp - - start there and then get back to me...

(Just had a new home system installed at my current residence - - 36k all said and done. The thing puts many commercial club systems to shame!)
7th April 2006 12:49 PM
jb We all have to work within our budget....I am obviously chop liver compared to some here...but I get by...
7th April 2006 12:55 PM
PeerQueer Ah, I think you're doing better than just getting by!

Plus, you have family to care for - I hear kids are quite expensive!

I just have hangers on and jilted lovers to care for...

7th April 2006 01:36 PM
pdog Being gay has it's perks. No kids! More money!
7th April 2006 01:56 PM
jb I want to sincerely thank those of you who understand why I(as well as Pug) have for years demanded higher prices . As a result of the higher ticket price, we have been privileged to see the Stones tour on a more or less continuous basis since 89. The revenue we generate here(USD) has enabled the band to continue to amaze us with incredible stage production, unique fan club opportunities, and playing in more diverse markets than we could ever dream of in the past. The legacy, albeit ignored by todays youth(truly the worst generation to ever inhabit this planet) was long ago sealed during the "Golden Age'(see Mick Taylor period). We (the Stones) could care less what todays youth and or psedo-intellectual U2 critics thinkof us...We are simply the greatest fucking rock band that shall ever exist. We(the true fans-about 500k strong) will pay whatever is necessary to allow our heroes to maintain they luxurious life-stye which they deserve, and to see them perform, which is a privilege, not a right!!!
I urge Mr. Cohl(a brillaint Canadian Jew), to continue to be a maverick and set higher standards for the Stones!!! I want tickets to escalate to prices never seen before in the industry!!! We can be the first band to charge $500 for the worst seats if we carefully choose our venues and reach out to our target audience(gross income between 150-300k). Babs will test the waters withher upcoming tour with some tickets at $1500...if it works, we will put togther a fan package upwards of 5-10K...and it will sell!!!! I am very excited about what we can achieve in the future....god willing all memebers remain healthy, we will continue to win the gross even in our 70's, while the media darklings U2/Aersosmith/Macca, et al finish way behind....U2 is a fraud and the fact that todays music critic love them, is an outrageous indulgence of self-aggrandizing..they are as phony as a $3 dollar bill-fuck them and Aerosmith!!! We(the real fans) are comfortable with the new price structure and we don't need or want those who bitch about prices/setlists us attending the shows anyway. I want to thank Pug(only 29) for having the wisedom to understand what I have been preaching for over 10yrs...I have been 100% correct on basically all issues, and if you stickwith me kid, I see big $$$ in the future for you!!!! I thank all of you for your kind responses and supportive e-mails!!!!

Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)