ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Auckland Western Springs Speedway,16th April 2006
Thanks Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Pick a warhorse to retire... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
6th April 2006 01:40 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
pdog wrote:
I'm rather impressed myself, with myself...
Until Post Enhancing Drugs are banned, I will carry the posting title with great pride...
Barry Bonds? Keith Richards? Maxlugar? All my heros are using dope!

I am impressed with yourself myself. You are truly one of the leading leaders of...er...leading. Dope? Hey, reality is for people who can't handle drugs. (Unfortunately, I can't handle either, so I am well and truly fucked.)
6th April 2006 02:35 PM
Spru Concerning retiring a warhorse, I would DEFINITELY retire Miss You. It's a good tune, but live I think it's tired (as many of the others are), and it provides nothing more than a sleepy beginning to the sub-par second half of the show. Plus, casual fans going simply to see the main warhorses (SMU, Satifaction, HTW, JJF, SFTD, Sugar) wouldn't be too upset if they missed this one.
6th April 2006 02:52 PM
Break The Spell I agree about Miss You being retired, why not put something similar in its place like Hot Stuff or Emotional Rescue.
6th April 2006 02:56 PM
pdog Hot Stuff, a good choice. Dance was developing nice on the Licks tour...
6th April 2006 02:57 PM
Break The Spell Dance was doing good live on Licks, they have many other good dance / funk tracks they could try out instead of just MY night after night.
6th April 2006 03:08 PM
glencar I agree: Dance instead of Miss You! Post-haste, Mick!
6th April 2006 03:41 PM
Spru Agreed. Dance is nice and I'd love to see it again, but I would really like to see Emotional Rescue. They never played it live, and it was a top 10 on both sides of the Atlantic back in '80 if I'm correct. Either song would be a great choice instead of Miss You.
6th April 2006 03:41 PM
Egbert Pt. 1 or Pt. 2?
6th April 2006 03:44 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Egbert wrote:
Pt. 1 or Pt. 2?

Dance, Pt.1
6th April 2006 03:48 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
pdog wrote:
Hot Stuff, a good choice. Dance was developing nice on the Licks tour...

When my kids were little they thought
Mick was singing "Pasta" on that song
instead of "Hot Stuff".

I'd retire "Tumblin' Dice"....nothing sounds
good after the opening riff.

SV

[Edited by SweetVirginia]
6th April 2006 04:25 PM
Riffhard Miss You and SMU hands down. I'd love to see them bring back Finger Print File myself. I also really dig the 75-76 version of If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off My Cloud. That was a very cool way of mixing those tunes up that actually worked. Unlike the slowed down version of 19th Nervous Breakdown. Which I wanted to love,but ended up being less than impressed.

Riffy
6th April 2006 04:55 PM
glencar
quote:
Spru wrote:
Agreed. Dance is nice and I'd love to see it again, but I would really like to see Emotional Rescue. They never played it live, and it was a top 10 on both sides of the Atlantic back in '80 if I'm correct. Either song would be a great choice instead of Miss You.

Whilst I would love to see ER also, I think the falsetto would be tough for Mick to sing very often. plus Keith never liked the song.
6th April 2006 05:02 PM
voodoopug This is a good topic to start. For example, Pearl Jam basically retired "Jeremy" and "Alive" only bringing it back occassionally and it does seem special now. They play "Even FLow" at every show (well almost every show) and it has grown mundane to me.

If the stones didnt play Start Me up at all this tour and then at one show belted it out on the b stage, it would be special. Remember all the hooplah on this site and SHidoobee when they played Gimme Shelter after omitting it the entire first leg of the tour. They have since played it several more times and the novelty has worn off, but if they did a tune like SMU, BS, HTW, IORR, GS, etc...only occassionally, it would add to the power of the show and make it seem special.
6th April 2006 05:15 PM
Gazza
quote:
Egbert wrote:
Pt. 1 or Pt. 2?

Pt.2!!!

("LIGHTNIN'" )

warhorses to retire :
1) Miss You
2) Satisfaction
3) Start Me Up

the 2nd half of the show more than negates any surprises and unpredictability that may occur during the first half. You could basically leave once the opening chords of Miss You start, pretty safe in the knowledge of what will be played for the last hour of the show

Warhorses are fine, but theres simply too many being played every night in a 20-21 song set. Even if they omitted a couple each night on a rotating basis and moved one or two into an earlier part of the show once in a while it would be preferable. Additionally, they have enough songs that everyone knows to replace any omitted warhorse with a song thats just as well known. The last 30-40 minutes of a Stones show has barely changed in 25 years
6th April 2006 05:26 PM
voodoopug YES!:

THese rarely played songs, most common fans know:

Under My Thumb
Shattered (being played some this tour)
SHes So COld (again, used sparingly)
Heartbreaker
The Last Time
19th Nervous Breakdown
Emotional Rescue
Harlem Shuffle
One HIt
It's All Over now
I Wanna Be Your Man
Lady Jane
LSTNT (used a little this tour, would be nice as a first encore)
Rooster
MIxed Emotions
Not Fade Away
Out of Time
Play With Fire
She was hot
Tell Me
Time is On My Side
Waiting on a Friend
Let it Bleed
Off The Hook
Beast of Burden
I'm Free
Mothers Little Helper
6th April 2006 05:51 PM
glencar One Hit would be a nice new "warhorse"!
6th April 2006 06:32 PM
Spru I like what Gazza said about rotating the warhorses. Maybe one night play SMU, BS, & Satisfaction, the next play GS, HTW, Sympathy, etc. Also, as far as that list with well known songs that aren't present goes, I think they need more stuff pre-68, such as Time Is On My Side, 19th NB, Mother's Little Helper, Under My Thumb, Last Time, It's All Over Now, etc. One more idea, instead of starting the second half off w/ a "dance" tune, why not play a blues cover or BOMH. The blues slot has worked well for them in the past, why abort it now? After all, isn't that what they were founded on, their love of the blues?
[Edited by Spru]
6th April 2006 06:37 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
YES!:

THese rarely played songs, most common fans know:

Under My Thumb
Shattered (being played some this tour)
SHes So COld (again, used sparingly)
Heartbreaker
The Last Time
19th Nervous Breakdown
Emotional Rescue
Harlem Shuffle
One HIt
It's All Over now
I Wanna Be Your Man
Lady Jane
LSTNT (used a little this tour, would be nice as a first encore)
Rooster
MIxed Emotions
Not Fade Away
Out of Time
Play With Fire
She was hot
Tell Me
Time is On My Side
Waiting on a Friend
Let it Bleed
Off The Hook
Beast of Burden
I'm Free
Mothers Little Helper

Great list. I wouldn't mind seeing them play any of those (well, except for "Harlem Shuffle"). I never was too crazy for the "dance"-type numbers (i.e., "Miss You") that Mick seems to love so much. I'd much rather hear a balls-out rocker or something bluesy.
6th April 2006 09:56 PM
Soldatti SFDT, it gets worse with each tour.
6th April 2006 11:06 PM
parmeda
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
Great list. I wouldn't mind seeing them play any of those (well, except for "Harlem Shuffle"). I never was too crazy for the "dance"-type numbers (i.e., "Miss You") that Mick seems to love so much. I'd much rather hear a balls-out rocker or something bluesy.

I love pug's list!

But, I have to partially disagree with you (and a few others) only because where would some of you be if it weren't for a few dance numbers?

These are chick-songs!

Chicks love to dance!!

I personally would hate to see BS taken from the set-list. I'm quite partial when it comes to dancing in the aisles, in my seat, or any available square footage of floor space. And god forbid anyone wanting to abolish audience participation!

"I said yeah, yeah, yeah, woo!"

C'mon, admit it...you guys would DIE without THAT!
6th April 2006 11:15 PM
pdog
quote:
parmeda wrote:

C'mon, admit it...you guys would DIE without THAT!

Us guys would be dead without The ROCC.
6th April 2006 11:18 PM
parmeda Flattery will get you everything, pdog!
6th April 2006 11:26 PM
pdog After seeing the pic of you with Tele... I'll let Mick tell it:
Love is strong and you're so sweet
You make me hard you make me weak
Love is strong and you're so sweet
And some day, babe we got to meet
6th April 2006 11:46 PM
parmeda I'm blushing, pdog...

And one day, it will be MY pleasure to meet you!
(...yeah, I've heard things )
6th April 2006 11:56 PM
Nellcote There are no warhorses to retire.
There are no warhorses to retire.
It's like the directions on shampoo
Lather, rinse, repeat.
The needle stuck on your turntable
and you are too baked to want to move it,
because it still sounds good skipping

7th April 2006 12:31 AM
pdog
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
It's like the directions on shampoo
Lather, rinse, repeat.
The needle stuck on your turntable
and you are too baked to want to move it,
because it still sounds good skipping

Hard to argue that...
7th April 2006 07:39 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
glencar wrote:

Whilst I would love to see ER also, I think the falsetto would be tough for Mick to sing very often. plus Keith never liked the song.

Mick could do the falsetto ok still, he does a good job on it whenever they do Worried About You.
7th April 2006 07:42 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
SFDT, it gets worse with each tour.

true, but the same goes for Satisfaction for me.
You are all deluding yourselves though, the warhorses won't retire at retirement age, like the Stones themselves!!!!!!
7th April 2006 07:44 AM
theanchorman
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:
only to be brought back a few times as a suprise bonus to make it special again...

Ron Wood?
7th April 2006 08:41 AM
Nellcote From the looks of the ON STAGE tour, it would appear the Stones have chosen to retire SFM...which location will get it first?
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)