ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE ANYMORE!!!
Click HERE or the image to go to our new home...

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: SAL shot to #2 in UK, best position since Ya-Ya's Return to archive
13th April 2008 12:59 PM
Soldatti The album made an impressive debut this week in U.K at No. 2, the best peak position for a Stones' live album in UK/US since Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out, 38 years ago.
The Stones have now 43 albums that charted inside the Top 10 in UK (35) or US (36)
Shine A Light is also the 3rd #2 album in UK this decade and the 10th UK #2 album for the Stones. They also had 10 #1 albums there.

Stones' live albums in UK/US:
Got Live If You Want It (US #6)
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! (UK #1 / US #6)
Love You Live (UK #3 / US #5)
Still Life (UK #4 / US #5)
Flashpoint (UK #6 / US #16)
Stripped (UK/US #9)
No Security (UK #67 / US #34)
Live Licks (UK #38 / US #50)
Shine A Light (UK #2 / US #11)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/albums.shtml
13th April 2008 01:07 PM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
The album made an impressive debut this week in U.K at No. 2, the best peak position for a Stones' live album in UK/US since Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out, 38 years ago.
The Stones have now 43 albums that charted inside the Top 10 in UK (35) or US (36)
Shine A Light is also the 3rd #2 album in UK this decade and the 10th UK #2 album for the Stones. They also had 10 #1 albums there.

Stones' live albums in UK/US:
Got Live If You Want It (US #6)
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! (UK #1 / US #6)
Love You Live (UK #3 / US #5)
Still Life (UK #4 / US #5)
Flashpoint (UK #6 / US #16)
Stripped (UK/US #9)
No Security (UK #67 / US #34)
Live Licks (UK #38 / US #50)
Shine A Light (UK #2 / US #11)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/albums.shtml

Bloody hell...didnt expect that high a position - especially considering "99.99% of the population despises them" ,as I seem to recall one notable ex-poster saying quite regularly.....
13th April 2008 01:11 PM
Stray Cat UK That is a suprise . No. 2 !

Maybe the fact that a double cd can now be bought for £8.97 at Asda/Wallmart when you are doing the shopping helps ?

this band could go far.

sc uk
13th April 2008 01:17 PM
Gazza
quote:
Stray Cat UK wrote:
That is a suprise . No. 2 !

Maybe the fact that a double cd can now be bought for £8.97 at Asda/Wallmart when you are doing the shopping helps ?

this band could go far.

sc uk

True, but I think thats more than countered by the fact that with their older fanbase, the Stones audience would be less likely to be into free downloading.

Good showing considering the fact that a lot of the other acts in the top 5 would be artists who would normally be expected to sell better than the Stones would and who have recently released albums.

Just shows what having a new record label who will promote your album properly can do.

That, plus a film being released at the same time of course. I always thought the Stones albums sold pretty well here considering we never get to see them perform until usually about a year after the albums get released. Just shows what can be done when the album's release date coincides with a major media event for a change.
13th April 2008 04:27 PM
fireontheplatter way to go rolling stones....aswell it should
13th April 2008 07:31 PM
Soldatti This week, 44 years ago, their first album went to #1 in the U.K charts.
Now in 2008, a live album from their recent tour entered at #2. Unbelievable.
13th April 2008 07:40 PM
Joey

< ---- I am now so excited that I am typing this with me penis .

Me too Lil' Fella ( Lil' Fijikins ..... Oh , .... OH Little Fiji ....... Lil' Fijikins )

" Hit Me Ronnie ! "

Weedy !
13th April 2008 07:49 PM
Sioux
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
This week, 44 years ago, their first album went to #1 in the U.K charts.
Now in 2008, a live album from their recent tour entered at #2. Unbelievable.

I agree! I think that is unprecidented...
14th April 2008 01:59 AM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Bloody hell...didnt expect that high a position - especially considering "99.99% of the population despises them" ,as I seem to recall one notable ex-poster saying quite regularly.....

Now he is someone else's headache!
14th April 2008 09:16 AM
gimmekeef I'm going to buy another 500 copies this week to avoid further USA humiliation.Surely the Horton Hears The Who soundtrack wont be out yet so we have time to fight back.
14th April 2008 11:04 AM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Now he is someone else's headache!

In fairness, he was never a headache. He's welcome back anytime.
14th April 2008 11:04 AM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:

In fairness, he was never a headache. He's welcome back anytime.

I just wanted a new email from him...
14th April 2008 04:26 PM
Soldatti From Music Week:

Duffy returns to albums chart summit
14:27 | Monday April 14, 2008
By Alan Jones

After stepping aside last week to accommodate REM’s eighth number one album, Accelerate, Duffy’s debut release, Rockferry, returns to the artist albums chart summit. It does so despite the fact its sales dipped for the fifth straight week, falling to 31,087.

The surprise of the week comes from The Rolling Stones’ new live/soundtrack set Shine A Light which debuted at number two on sales of 23,013 copies. That's the best position for a Stones' live album in almost 38 years when Get Yer YaYas Out! topped the charts for 2 weeks in September 19770. It is also significantly more than the 9,680 copies that their last live album, Live Licks, sold to debut at number 38 in 2004.

Last week's top album, REM’s Accelerate, slides 1-3 on sales of 22,942.

Also new to the Top 75 this week are: Mancunian bands The Courteeners, in at four with debut set St. Jude (22,202 sales) and James, back after a seven year break with Hey Ma at number 10 (10,366 sales)

Summary:
Duffy 31,087
Rolling Stones 23,013
R.E.M 22,942
Courteeners 22,202

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)