ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE ANYMORE!!!
Click HERE or the image to go to our new home...

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Newest song on latest Stones album is 25 years old! Return to archive Page: 1 2
13th April 2008 11:40 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

They insist (and I like this idea) of doing their new stuff because they absolutley do not want to be seen as a total nostalgia act and want to perform and bring out their new music....even if it is only a song or two a show or live album.

That was certainly a fair assessment up to 1999.

Not from Licks onwards, though - and especially not on the last tour. The success of 40 Licks and subsequent sales comparisons of compilations vs. new material have effectively seen them give up the ghost in trying to push themselves to their audience as a current act. They have minimal interest in attracting new and younger fans to replace the ageing fanbase they currently have.

They basically gave up promoting ABB after the 2006 European tour. Most shows after that barely included 1-2 of the songs per show - some had none at all. On the Licks tour - which WAS on the back of a retrospective release - they played 1 new song per show (most nights). So not much difference there.

The last tour was more or less Licks Part 2. In fact, the setlists as the tour went on had more in common with that album than the 2002-2003 as a higher proportion of the songs played per show were well known hits that had been played for years as opposed to the depth of 'fresh' material that they dug out for the Licks tour.

Regardless of what their public utterances of what they 'want to be seen as', the evidence is obvious. The Stones have basically conceded in their own minds that they are a nostalgia act now and nothing more.
[Edited by Gazza]
13th April 2008 02:20 PM
IanBillen
Regardless of what their public utterances of what they 'want to be seen as', the evidence is obvious. The Stones have basically conceded in their own minds that they are a nostalgia act now and nothing more.

I guarantee this is not so. On the next release from their new label you will see singles released, some radio friendly Stones tunes, as well as a lot of tunes from their current album played live (probably three per show).

Also you will see an effective marketing campaign geared to both audiences.

Wait and see.

Ian
13th April 2008 02:35 PM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
I guarantee this is not so. On the next release from their new label you will see singles released, some radio friendly Stones tunes, as well as a lot of tunes from their current album played live (probably three per show).

Also you will see an effective marketing campaign geared to both audiences.

Wait and see.

Ian

Please. This isnt 1974.

The target audience for singles is teenagers (who dont buy singles by artists in their 60s) and in the download era, fewer singles are being 'physically' released anyway.

Radio playing NEW music by the Rolling Stones? You must be kidding. You cant be unaware of how radio has changed in the last few years, surely. What next - the Stones on MTV?

Three songs from a new album that you're touring behind is not "a lot". Its a token gesture. A couple of tours ago they were playing 6-7.

I'll give you the 'marketing' argument though. A new label should always be anxious to promote their new investment. Whether it'll be effective is another thing, though.
13th April 2008 03:33 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The target audience for singles is teenagers (who dont buy singles by artists in their 60s) and in the download era, fewer singles are being 'physically' released anyway.

Hey, they're redoing Beverly Hills 90210, so maybe they'll do an 09 gig at the Rose Bowl to boost those downloads...

quote:

Three songs from a new album that you're touring behind is not "a lot". Its a token gesture.

Correct.
OTOH, Springsteen is touring to support 'Magic'.
13th April 2008 03:41 PM
speedfreakjive the thing is, is that Shine A Light was a separate project to ABB - Biggest Bang was the live DVD from the ABB Tour, so they weren't doing Shine A Light to promote ABB necessarily
13th April 2008 03:49 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
the thing is, is that Shine A Light was a separate project to ABB - Biggest Bang was the live DVD from the ABB Tour, so they weren't doing Shine A Light to promote ABB necessarily

True enough, but Biggest Bang isn't exactly chock full of ABB tunes either...
13th April 2008 04:30 PM
Sioux
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
I don't think all this matters much.
The Stones got "the image", that's all that really counts now. The music's just the prop.

That is a really interesting observation. And that is just the opposite of what was important when Brian first had a "vision" of what he wanted his band to do...very significant turnaround.
13th April 2008 10:41 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Please. This isnt 1974.

Radio playing NEW music by the Rolling Stones? You must be kidding. You cant be unaware of how radio has changed in the last few years, surely. What next - the Stones on MTV?

Three songs from a new album that you're touring behind is not "a lot". Its a token gesture. A couple of tours ago they were playing 6-7.

I'll give you the 'marketing' argument though. A new label should always be anxious to promote their new investment. Whether it'll be effective is another thing, though.

Ok. Now I sound like Hillary or Obahma. I "mis-spoke" when I wrote "effective" in reference to the marketing campaign.

It will not be real effective when geared to the young crowd but they will try and capture some of them once again.

I certainly realize The Stones are not on the radio, or MTV.

However, you'll see Mick try and cut a deal that exposes them to this area much more on this next release.

Not saying it will be 1981 all over again and they will be a success at this, but they will try and tap into this market on their next album once more.

Watch.

BTW, When did the Stones play 7 songs in a show from their latest studio album?

When did they even play 5 or 6?

If you are talking total number of brand new tracks through-out the tour then ABB actually had five tunes....didn't they? BOMH, RFD, SOL, RJ, and ONNYA.

Ian

13th April 2008 10:52 PM
mrhipfl You forgot the two Keith songs, Ian.
Infamy and TPIE

and they also busted out It won't take long once or twice.
[Edited by mrhipfl]
13th April 2008 11:21 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

BTW, When did the Stones play 7 songs in a show from their latest studio album?

Ian

At Giants Stadium '94, I saw them do Love is Strong, YGMR, Sparks Will Fly, the Worst, Out of Tears, I Go Wild, and Brand New Car. Still my top personal show.
14th April 2008 02:05 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

At Giants Stadium '94, I saw them do Love is Strong, YGMR, Sparks Will Fly, the Worst, Out of Tears, I Go Wild, and Brand New Car. Still my top personal show.

Really?

Damn. I never knew they did more than five songs from their most recent release in like almost 30 years. I am speculating Some Girls may of seen like 5 in a show at times and Tatoo You but no more than that.

Ian
14th April 2008 02:08 AM
glencar What a fruitcake. Even BTB saw 4 songs done per night as the tour progressed. Some shows had even more.
14th April 2008 02:38 AM
IanBillen
quote:
glencar wrote:
What a fruitcake. Even BTB saw 4 songs done per night as the tour progressed. Some shows had even more.

I have not seen even close to as many shows as some here but I have seen several dating all the way back to 1981.

I never seen them do more than five in all this time. I never heard of them doing six brand new tunes at a single show in the past 25 years until now.

Ian
14th April 2008 04:01 AM
glencar Black Limo, SMU, Hang Fire, Lil T&A, Tops & Waiting On A Friend back in Philly 1981,. You need to get out more.
14th April 2008 06:38 AM
IanBillen
quote:
glencar wrote:
Black Limo, SMU, Hang Fire, Lil T&A, Tops & Waiting On A Friend back in Philly 1981,. You need to get out more.

Ok. One show....

And at the time I was 10 years old. Sorry I couldn't make that one...

Ian
14th April 2008 08:30 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Really?

Damn. I never knew they did more than five songs from their most recent release in like almost 30 years. I am speculating Some Girls may of seen like 5 in a show at times and Tatoo You but no more than that.

Ian

They did 8 of the 10 "Some Girls" songs at every show on that tour. Pretty much half the entire show. The only omissions were the title track and "Before they make me run".

For Tattoo You - SMU, Hang Fire, T&A, Neighbours and Black Limousine were played at practically every show in 1981-82. On the US leg, Waiting On A Friend was also pretty much regular and Tops was played at a handful of shows early on.

Steel Wheels - Mixed emotions, rock and a hard place, sad sad sad were constants throughout the tour. Cant Be Seen was usually played too, and Terrifying, AHYS got several airings. Blinded By love was played in Spain. Usually they played about 5 from the album.

The first night of the Voodoo lounge tour in Washington DC saw them do 7 new songs. Usually, it was around five or so by the time the tour progressed.

Opening night setlist :
(Not Fade Away/Undercover Of The Night/Tumbling Dice/Live With Me/
You Got Me Rocking/Rocks Off/Sparks Will Fly/Shattered/Satisfaction/
Beast Of Burden/Memory Motel/Out Of Tears/All Down The Line/Hot Stuff/
I Can’t Get Next To You/Band introduction/Brand New Car/Honky Tonk
Women/Before They Make Me Run/The Worst/Love Is Strong/Monkey Man/
I Go Wild/Start Me Up/It’s Only Rock’n Roll/Street Fighting Man/Brown
Sugar/Jumping Jack Flash)

BTB it tended to be around five, but I think at some of the MSG shows in jan 1998 they may have done six.

On the ABB tour, in the early stages they tended to do 3-4 songs. The most at any one show was 5 in (I think) Vienna. The two Beacon shows and Madrid 2007 (which I was at) didnt feature ANY ABB songs at all. From fall 2006 onwards it was usually 2-3 at most

Check out the setlist pages, for more info.

[Edited by Gazza]
14th April 2008 08:34 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
If you are talking total number of brand new tracks through-out the tour then ABB actually had five tunes....didn't they? BOMH, RFD, SOL, RJ, and ONNYA.

Ian

they played eight. Those five, Keith's two plus It Wont Take Long which was played twice.

However, most of the songs were only played for brief spells. Infamy only on the first US leg, Back of My Hand was only played a couple of times after early 2006, It Wont Take Long two appearances in November 2005, Streets of Love wasnt premiered until July 2006 and then (I think) was dropped after the fall American leg

I think Rough Justice and This Place Is Empty may have been the only two that were played in 2007. At a stretch they may have done ONNYA, but I dont have the time to check.
14th April 2008 08:42 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
I certainly realize The Stones are not on the radio, or MTV.

However, you'll see Mick try and cut a deal that exposes them to this area much more on this next release.

Not saying it will be 1981 all over again and they will be a success at this, but they will try and tap into this market on their next album once more.

Watch.

Mick Jagger and a record label unfortunately dont have the power to influence what can and cant be played on the radio.

The system is ageist. Springsteen's current album topped the US album charts, yet Clear Channel WONT play anything from it on their stations basically because he's too old to fit with their demographic. I would imagine it was the same for Bob Dylan, even though his last studio album was a chart topper.

That isnt going to change just for the Stones. Their newer music falls between two stools. Its too current to be played on oldies stations, but they're too old to be played on stations playing current music.

Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)