ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE ANYMORE!!!
Click HERE or the image to go to our new home...

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Newest song on latest Stones album is 25 years old! Return to archive Page: 1 2
12th April 2008 03:56 PM
Ronnie Richards For fuck's sake!
It's an embarrassment!

Or it should be..
Perhaps people have just stopped caring.. the idea that the Stones should be just a nostalgia act is not controversial anymore - it's become just a fact of life.

But, really, it's a shame.
While the widespread criticism of A Bigger Bang is mostly justified, there are a few good tracks - like Rough Justice, Back Of My Hand, It Won't Take Long - which would be, IMO, very welcome on SAL...

12th April 2008 04:03 PM
IanBillen
Your post doesn't make a ton of sense here.

Why is it titled explaining that the newest song on ABB is 25 years old?

Are you meaning there is nothing here that we have not seen for the past 25 years or what are you saying here with this?

Ian
12th April 2008 04:13 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Why is it titled explaining that the newest song on ABB is 25 years old?

Are you meaning there is nothing here that we have not seen for the past 25 years or what are you saying here with this?

Pssst, the latest Stones album is SAL.
12th April 2008 04:20 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

Pssst, the latest Stones album is SAL.

Pssst, I realize this...

But the poster goes on to talk about A Bigger Bang and it's quality and content so this is kinda what threw me off.

I figured by the way it read the entire post was referring to ABB and the poster was elaborating with more honesty on his opinion in saying there in fact are a few good tracks on ABB for what it gets credit for.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
12th April 2008 04:31 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Pssst, I realize this...

But the poster goes on to talk about A Bigger Bang and it's quality and content so this is kinda what threw me off.

I figured by the way it read the entire post was referring to ABB and the poster was elaborating with more honesty on his opinion in saying there in fact are a few good tracks on ABB for what it gets credit for.

Poster concludes with the fact that there were no ABB songs on SAL.
12th April 2008 04:32 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Pssst, I realize this...

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]

Erm, s/he is clearly saying there are a number of good tracks on ABB that would have served SAL well.
12th April 2008 04:39 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

haha, you shouldn't talk!

I agree, though. They should have played more recent songs, especially since the film itself focuses on the longevity of the band.
12th April 2008 04:44 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:
While the widespread criticism of A Bigger Bang is mostly justified, there are a few good tracks - like Rough Justice, Back Of My Hand, It Won't Take Long - which would be, IMO, very welcome on SAL...

'Back Of My Hand' was under consideration - there's a shot of Scorsese vetting the song lists, and it's on there.

Although 'Champagne And Reefer' is a highlight - if for no other reason than the sloooow close up on Buddy Guy - it
would've been nice to hear him take a whack at that one.
12th April 2008 04:56 PM
Zack
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:

the idea that the Stones should be just a nostalgia act is not controversial anymore - it's become just a fact of life.

Geez RR, give them a break - they're in their mid-60s with 45 years of history on which to nostalgitate! I agree however they should have averted such talk by including something like Rough Justice or ONNYA. Hey, maybe its was their controversial lyrics!
12th April 2008 05:01 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Zack wrote:
Hey, maybe its was their controversial lyrics!

Or maybe they wanted to avoid an 'R' rating.
Coupla more "fucks" would've gotten it.

Mick calls him Buddy Motherfucking Guy on the album, but not in the movie...
12th April 2008 06:19 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Erm, s/he is clearly saying there are a number of good tracks on ABB that would have served SAL well.

...yes, I realize what the post refers to now.

I think they could of had one at least one new tune on there that was from ABB. I am very very surprised that they do not being as the Stones always want to do the new tunes live (even if it is only one or two numbers).

They insist (and I like this idea) of doing their new stuff because they absolutley do not want to be seen as a total nostalgia act and want to perform and bring out their new music....even if it is only a song or two a show or live album.

Maybe ONNYA or RJ from ABB would of been nice. Still very surprised at this and would of never guessed they did not include at least one.

This is the first time since the seventies none of their new numbers is featured on their latest full live release based on a tour that was based on a studio album (Stripped was not a complete Live Album per say and Live Licks was not based on a studio album tour). Even Still Life had Start Me Up (...of coarse).

Very surprised at this and truthfully I'm kinda shocked The Stones didn't play at least one new tune from ABB live at the Beacon and/or insist on at least one new tune to be added to the SAL sound track. I would of almost bet money on it. Regardless of how many here, or eleswhere say The Stones are a total Nostalgia gig anyway (which I strongly disagree with and I personally have argued my opinion and thoughts against that notion many times myself).

This is quite out of character for them regardless to the fact that they did not perform tunes from ABB as much as new stuff on previous tours.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
12th April 2008 06:31 PM
Zack
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

They insist (and I like this idea) of doing their new stuff because they absolutley do not want to be seen as a total nostalgia act and want to perform and bring out their new music....even if it is only a song or two a show or live album.

Maybe ONNYA or RJ from ABB would of been nice. Still very surprised at this and would of never guessed they did not include at least one.

This is the first time since the seventies none of their new numbers is featured on their latest full live release based on a tour that was based on a studio album (Stripped was not a complete Live Album per say and Live Licks was not based on a studio album tour). Even Still Life had Start Me Up (...of coarse).

Very surprised at this and truthfully I'm kinda shocked The Stones didn't play at least one new tune from ABB live at the Beacon and/or insist on at least one new tune to be added to the SAL sound track. I would of almost bet money on it. Regardless of how many here, or eleswhere say The Stones are a total Nostalgia gig anyway (which I strongly disagree with and I personally have argued my opinion and thoughts against that notion many times myself).

This is quite out of character for them regardless to the fact that they did not perform tunes from ABB as much as new stuff on previous tours.

Ian

And your point is . . . ?
12th April 2008 08:25 PM
glencar In RS article, Marty says that the "M-Fing" was replaced by a drum sound because otherwise it would have gotten a harsher rating.
12th April 2008 08:43 PM
RichardHurrah Isn't that a bit low ?

The group is 46 years old, it's an old group.
The players are all 60+, they're old players (at least for the average listener/buyer of music today).
Their last album ABB (SAL is a live) is above today's music standards.

And we are still here waiting for what comes next.

So why arguing ?

We're talking history here, unprecedented in RnR and probably will never be matched (maybe U2 will do better but they've still 20 years to run)

As Keith says, for people born after 62 you have the sun, the earth, the air you breathe... and the Rolling Stones.
SAL is not made for die hard fans and couldn't be 6 hours long so they went straight to the point, their big hits, what people know, what people like...

Respect.
[Edited by RichardHurrah]
12th April 2008 09:14 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

Or maybe they wanted to avoid an 'R' rating.
Coupla more "fucks" would've gotten it.

Mick calls him Buddy Motherfucking Guy on the album, but not in the movie...

yeah it was censored. He also says "great fuckin' audience" and it was censored too. They censored it with a bass drum and cymbal of all things.
12th April 2008 09:14 PM
Got Me Rockin
quote:
glencar wrote:
In RS article, Marty says that the "M-Fing" was replaced by a drum sound because otherwise it would have gotten a harsher rating.

The man directed "Goodfellas" for Crissakes, next time I watch that movie I'm going to count how many times Joe Pesci says the word "fuck" in it.

You can't have a motherfuckin' in a rockumentary , but lets have someone get the shit kicked out of him and then stabbed with a knife the size of my forearm.
12th April 2008 09:15 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
glencar wrote:
In RS article, Marty says that the "M-Fing" was replaced by a drum sound because otherwise it would have gotten a harsher rating.

...and that Guy's people objected to it, I recall.
12th April 2008 09:17 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Got Me Rockin wrote:
The man directed "Goodfellas" for Crissakes, next time I watch that movie I'm going to count how many times Joe Pesci says the word "fuck" in it.

You can't have a motherfuckin' in a rockumentary , but lets have someone get the shit kicked out of him and then stabbed with a knife the size of my forearm.

Blame the MPAA, not Scorsese.

12th April 2008 09:17 PM
Capt. Teague
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:
For fuck's sake!
It's an embarrassment!

Or it should be..
Perhaps people have just stopped caring.. the idea that the Stones should be just a nostalgia act is not controversial anymore - it's become just a fact of life.

But, really, it's a shame.

Rough Justice or Back of My Hand would've worked fine, but I'm not crying bout it
12th April 2008 09:22 PM
mrhipfl There's a few seconds of Keef rehearsing She saw me coming in the film. I really wanna hear that song live. Love that tune, don't know why so many hate it.
12th April 2008 10:00 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Zack wrote:

Ian

[/quote]

Zack,

The point is very clear in my post. It is surprising the Stones played not one new tune when they are always so insistent at having some new stuff to present because they do not want to be viewed as strictly a nostalgia act and this is out of character for them.

That isn't a hard view point to grasp, nor is the point of putting it in a post...

Zack don't you have anything better to try and agitate?

At times it is truly tiring when you, and many others here repeatedly jump on any comment or post I create regardless of it's content. Is it all part of the "inn circle"?

In my opinion it makes those members look more like A*****S than anything that would make me appear that way based on my posts.

That act is old.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
12th April 2008 10:05 PM
glencar Are you really Starbuck? This CAN'T be for reals!
12th April 2008 10:08 PM
The jinn, my friend. One more time in unison

The Bigger Bang and ALL works on it suck.
The album should be banished and scorned.
All copies should be destroyed.
It should never be used, produced or see the light of day again.
It is a cursed, horrid experience and sound.

[Edited by The jinn, my friend.]
12th April 2008 10:27 PM
open-g
quote:
The jinn, my friend. wrote:
One more time in unison

Just wanted to see how that rant looks on black background...

and I don't agree.
12th April 2008 10:50 PM
Sioux
quote:
One more time in unison

Aw, come on....tell us how you REALLY feel....{wink}
12th April 2008 11:09 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:

Rubbish.

But thanks for posting in a font large enough to be seen from space.
13th April 2008 12:16 AM
mmdog
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
There's a few seconds of Keef rehearsing She saw me coming in the film. I really wanna hear that song live. Love that tune, don't know why so many hate it.

It would have been a cool addition. However was that Mick or Keith playing the song?

13th April 2008 11:05 AM
Zack
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Zack,

The point is very clear in my post. It is surprising the Stones played not one new tune when they are always so insistent at having some new stuff to present because they do not want to be viewed as strictly a nostalgia act and this is out of character for them.

That isn't a hard view point to grasp, nor is the point of putting it in a post...

Zack don't you have anything better to try and agitate?

At times it is truly tiring when you, and many others here repeatedly jump on any comment or post I create regardless of it's content. Is it all part of the "inn circle"?

In my opinion it makes those members look more like A*****S than anything that would make me appear that way based on my posts.

Ian I'm not trying to agitate you. You repeated a whole lot of stuff I had just posted.
13th April 2008 11:18 AM
mrhipfl
quote:
mmdog wrote:

It would have been a cool addition. However was that Mick or Keith playing the song?

It was Keith.
13th April 2008 11:23 AM
Ten Thousand Motels I don't think all this matters much.
The Stones got "the image", that's all that really counts now. The music's just the prop.
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)