ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE ANYMORE!!!
Click HERE or the image to go to our new home...

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: keith giving buddy guy the guitar in SAL Return to archive
11th April 2008 07:51 PM
chevysales ok about 2 tours back i do believ there was a mention of a guitar that buddy guy was suppose to get to auction off or something from keith. i distinctly remember reading about some wires being crossed and buddy never getting the guitar... does anyone remember this?

i know i am not imaging it and pretty sure i read it on one of the mailing lists at the time which had a link to a chitown story about it for buddys club?

just wondering if somehow the 2 were connected?
11th April 2008 08:48 PM
fireontheplatter this guitar passing off thing is mentioned in the newest rolling stone mag. keith offered up his gee tar to buddy guy after they played the song champagne and reefer.
a great tune off the new cd....
11th April 2008 09:17 PM
chevysales i know that and read the article... now go back a few years and see if the lack of guitar buddy was promised for either his club or some charity event played a role in the guitar offering.... which is what my original post was about.
11th April 2008 09:20 PM
Fiji Joe Well he gave it to him...and he walked off with it...I saw that much...I would like to know what Keith told him when he gave it to him...
11th April 2008 09:23 PM
glencar Keith waited that long?
12th April 2008 11:47 AM
Bloozehound Keith was petty adamant about Guy taking it, it almost looked like he'd go fisticuffs with Buddy had he denied taking his guitar

Ha

12th April 2008 08:46 PM
Bitch I read something recenetly where KEEF said he just did it spur of the moment with no pre-thought, and he said it was odd because he never gives away his guitars, but he was caught up in the moment and just did it. It wasnt planned or part of 'the show' just a spontaneous gesture. So Buddy Guy was surprised, maybe thats why he looke like he didnt know what was going on.
12th April 2008 10:55 PM
72Tele Funny thing is Keith says it was one of his favorites but it was a Gretsch that I have never even seen him pictured with before. The only time I remember seeing him even play a Gretsch was at the 2007 RRHOF jam. And that was a Gretsch Duo Jet.
13th April 2008 05:27 AM
Honky Tonk Man Its a very funy moment in the film. I don't know whether it was spontaneous or not. With Keith being miked up, they may have planned it. Its certainly a pricless moment though. Watching that old guy waddle off with two guitars.
14th April 2008 12:33 AM
parmeda
quote:
chevysales wrote:
ok about 2 tours back i do believ there was a mention of a guitar that buddy guy was suppose to get to auction off or something from keith. i distinctly remember reading about some wires being crossed and buddy never getting the guitar... does anyone remember this?

i know i am not imaging it and pretty sure i read it on one of the mailing lists at the time which had a link to a chitown story about it for buddys club?

just wondering if somehow the 2 were connected?

Indeed you are correct, chevy.

Buddy has been dogging Keith for years for a guitar. Apparently, one was promised to him (and it was to be enshrined at his club) - however, it never came.

Buddy actually made a public appeal to Keith the last time the Stones were in Chicago. He was interviewed on a local radio station - the entire conversation was in regards to Keith giving him a guitar. The media ran with it for two days after catching wind of it.

I am so glad it finally happened and that the exchange is documented in SAL - Buddy was obviously floored!

I need to make a phone call tomorrow morning and I will have all of the particulars for you. I will even try to get the transcript of the interview - it was interesting to say the least.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)