ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE ANYMORE!!!
Click HERE or the image to go to our new home...

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Rolling Stones Live: Key Tracks From the Band's Concert Records Return to archive Page: 1 2
12th April 2008 07:41 PM
Sioux Glencar, you got a PM, buddy.
12th April 2008 08:23 PM
glencar No, I checked. No PM yet...
12th April 2008 10:34 PM
Sioux Ok, that's really weird cuz it said it went through...I'll try again.
12th April 2008 10:37 PM
Sioux Second PM sent. Hope this one goes through...
13th April 2008 08:35 PM
Capt. Teague Gimme Shelter from Stripped Companion is in another league from the NS version.

Memory Motel?
Saint of Me?
incomplete Rocks Off?

Speaking of Stripped, what about Love In Vain? Shine a Light?

Best version of SMU is on Still Life also
13th April 2008 10:24 PM
Nasty Habits The Apple Acetate has Jagger singing the "Just as every cop is a criminal" verse right before the two solos. Only two verses - Please allow and Just as Every cop. It does not have the two verses before it. The Ya Ya's version has three verses - Please allow, Stuck Around, and Watched with Glee, no Cop as Criminal verse. That's about the only difference aside from Jagger's jabbers during Taylor's solo.

Early versions barely feature a Taylor solo at all - it's definitely the song that they developed and screwed with most on the '69 tour. The Detroit Sympathy, as presented on the 1969 Soundboard Collection, also features the duelling solos almost directly back to back, although there is an eight bar "get on down" chorus between the solos. Same with whatever version that is where Jagger improvs into Hey Jude at the end of the song.

Did they edit out the eight "get on down" bars between solos on Ya Ya's? Maybe. The 20 second between solo vamp is there on the boot I've got called Stoned MSG, but it's clearly an entirely different version than the Ya Ya's one. As far as an edit to the solos on the Ya Ya's version - the most that could have been done was a 20 second snip between them. Not transpositions on other sides of verses or anything.

If they did take it out, I think it was a brilliant edit, same with most of the edits and add-ons on Ya-Ya's. It's the only live record I can think of where I don't find post production work distracting. A record is not a concert - it's a by-definition simulation. At the time they were putting this album together they were the best rock and roll record makers in the world, and so they took genius basic tracks from MSG and made them an even greater get down rock and roll experience. Result: Best album ever. By Love You Live they have mostly lost, forgotten, or forgone this skill, although the El Macambo side has it in spades and they clearly spent a lot of time editing that thing together - it ends with a guy yelling "Sit Down!" for a reason.

As far as why there are no versions that sound like the Ya Ya's Sympathy, there's also no version of Satisfaction that I've heard that is as good as the MSG version as seen on Gimme Shelter (edited, yes, but there's no Jagger sermon to compare to the no lies/no bullshit one), and no other version of the Under My Thumb/I'm Free medley a la the Stoned MSG boot. It is safe to say that they were on FIRE at MSG and played above even their range.

You can hear the allegedly complete version of the song in an embedded MP3 right here:

http://www.rollingstonesnet.com/yaya.htm

Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)