ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE ANYMORE!!!
Click HERE or the image to go to our new home...

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones should not make their next club gig public....from Ian Return to archive
8th April 2008 01:39 AM
IanBillen You know after 89 The Stones and their "surprise" club appearances before tours have been more less not so surprising. Mostly this is due to the fact that now it is basically known they will perform and wrist bracelets are issued and the whole nine yards is played out before the show.

It isn't a secret but is a mini-event nowadays.

Back in the day they used to do it as a total surprise correct? Sure security would have to be beefed up and all but it was not publically disclosed that The Stones were going to be there and play.

I think they should try that again before the next time out.

I am sure they would certainly have security laid out and such but still it should be more of a total shock to the crowd and the public in general.

Do it old school once more. That was the truly cool part about it all. It was basically a total surprise to the crowd.

Any thoughts on that?

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
8th April 2008 07:39 AM
Gazza Try telling that to the lucky fans who get in. I doubt they'll feel too let down.

And as far as I know, the shows still are pretty much a last minute public announcement.

They do need to make some prior private arrangements though. For public order and safety reasons, you simply cant have a band with a following like the Stones have announce a gig on a whim at a few hours notice without it turning into a potential riot.

8th April 2008 10:39 AM
gimmekeef Unless there is another large tour and you live in Toronto you have no chance regardless.
8th April 2008 11:56 AM
Gazza You never know. After all, Chicago got a club show five days before the BTB tour opened at Soldier Field.

And what a show it was too.

..and all for $7.00...

8th April 2008 01:22 PM
CrazyDadda I would kill to go to a club show
8th April 2008 01:34 PM
Dan
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
You know after 89 The Stones and their "surprise" club appearances before tours have been more less not so surprising. Mostly this is due to the fact that now it is basically known they will perform and wrist bracelets are issued and the whole nine yards is played out before the show.

It isn't a secret but is a mini-event nowadays.

Back in the day they used to do it as a total surprise correct? Sure security would have to be beefed up and all but it was not publically disclosed that The Stones were going to be there and play.

I think they should try that again before the next time out.

I am sure they would certainly have security laid out and such but still it should be more of a total shock to the crowd and the public in general.

Do it old school once more. That was the truly cool part about it all. It was basically a total surprise to the crowd.

Any thoughts on that?

Ian

They should play Free Monday at the Scene in Glendale on the same day as one of my friend's bands in playing.
8th April 2008 02:36 PM
iluvmickjagger07 that would only be cool if i happen to be at that club
8th April 2008 02:42 PM
monkey_man In '99 they wanted to open the tour at the Fillmore after rehearsing there for about 10 days. Too many people were showing up to listen from outside during the rehearsals that they bagged that idea. They did have a small place in Berkeley ready to go for them a few days before the Oakland Arena show but that got nixed for security concerns.
8th April 2008 06:44 PM
glencar Did they ever play a club gig out in Montauk?
8th April 2008 07:11 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
In '99 they wanted to open the tour at the Fillmore after rehearsing there for about 10 days. Too many people were showing up to listen from outside during the rehearsals that they bagged that idea. They did have a small place in Berkeley ready to go for them a few days before the Oakland Arena show but that got nixed for security concerns.

Quite right, I lived in San Jose at the time, had completely forgotten about that.

Then Jagger got sick and the SJ shows had to be cancelled and postponed to the end of April, great shows too, wow, we didn't know at the time they had started their morphing into a nostalgia band...thanks to the "98 "Tax incident"...
8th April 2008 07:37 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle The only surprise is which venue in Toronto hosts the show.

And Gazza's right.
There's not a whole lot of advance word.
But thanks to the internet, folks in Zagreb know at about the same instant as people in TO.
8th April 2008 09:06 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Dan wrote:

They should play Free Monday at the Scene in Glendale on the same day as one of my friend's bands in playing.

Sure, why not. Sounds like a fun place.

Ask your friend to see if maybe The Stones would be interested in opening for your buddies group. Never hurts to ask.

Ian
9th April 2008 02:05 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Try telling that to the lucky fans who get in. I doubt they'll feel too let down.

And as far as I know, the shows still are pretty much a last minute public announcement.

They do need to make some prior private arrangements though. For public order and safety reasons, you simply cant have a band with a following like the Stones have announce a gig on a whim at a few hours notice without it turning into a potential riot.

Really, You say last minute? But they gave wrist bracelets and it was rumored on the internet for a week before hand. The sign even read "Tonight The Stones" or what ever didn't it?

I mean, I am not being sarcastic here I am asking?

Anyway,

I am talking about a TOTAL surprise gig again. As in, beef up security. Have the Stones do like eight or nine tunes, and take off.

Keep it a total hush-hush ordeal. Pull out a shock. I am sure with enough security, they could avoid a riot for 45 minutes or an hour.... (I don't think they would riot anyway... by the time word got out to the street and surrounding areas The boys would be finishing up and getting out of there.)

They would just have to make an excuse on the security beef-up is all. Hell you could just pull out the stage security right in front like 10 minutes before the show so it is not quite as obvious. All the other places it would just look really beefed up for the night is all. Block off the back entrance and have it reserved for The Stones and their get away vehicle.

It could be done without too many hitches to encounter if they did a short gig and were prepared. Hell they did it before didn't they?

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
9th April 2008 07:40 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

[Really, You say last minute? But they gave wrist bracelets and it was rumored on the internet for a week before hand.

There's a world of difference between a "rumour" and an "announcement". They generally play a warm up show in the city where they rehearse. That bit isnt a secret. The date and location generally is. The show tends to be announced on the day it takes place.

quote:
IanBillen wrote:The sign even read "Tonight The Stones" or what ever didn't it?

"Tonight" would indicate "last minute" to me.

quote:
IanBillen wrote:I mean, I am not being sarcastic here I am asking?

Anyway,

I am talking about a TOTAL surprise gig again. As in, beef up security. Have the Stones do like eight or nine tunes, and take off.

Keep it a total hush-hush ordeal. Pull out a shock. I am sure with enough security, they could avoid a riot for 45 minutes or an hour.... (I don't think they would riot anyway... by the time word got out to the street and surrounding areas The boys would be finishing up and getting out of there.)

They would just have to make an excuse on the security beef-up is all. Hell you could just pull out the stage security right in front like 10 minutes before the show so it is not quite as obvious. All the other places it would just look really beefed up for the night is all. Block off the back entrance and have it reserved for The Stones and their get away vehicle.

with respect, Ian - you're in dreamland. This is the Rolling Stones. They dont do 'Security Lite'. Especially not with thousands of people in town watching their every move.

quote:
IanBillen wrote:It could be done without too many hitches to encounter if they did a short gig and were prepared. Hell they did it before didn't they?

Ian

Not to my knowledge..when was that?

I dont see what there is to gain out of this idea. They do a warm up show for a few reasons. The obvious one is to try a few songs out and find out how they sound. The second is that theres usually a few cameras around and it gets publicity for their tour. It makes news worldwide.

Another one is as a 'thank you' to the fans in the city that's hosted them for weeks on end and has had to put up with the security arrangements which occur when they're in town. Its a nice gesture. It would be somewhat pointless if the people who have been hanging around for days didnt get a shot at a club show because they wanted to keep the whole thing COMPLETELY secret for the sake of a few people who arent there anyway but feel the need to live through the whole thing vicariously over the internet.
9th April 2008 07:47 AM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Did they ever play a club gig out in Montauk?

No

I think the first one was Lakeland in 1978 when they were billed as "The Great South East Stoned Wrestling Champions" or something, but that was just two days before the scheduled tour start so its really regarded as a tour stop.

then came the '81 club show at Sir Morgans Cove in Worcester, Ma. 11 days before the tour opened, which turned into a riot after a radio station leaked the info and thousands of people turned up.

The 1982 European tour had four small shows before the tour started. They played three theatre dates in successive nights in Scotland - because they had been unable to get a performing licence to play a stadium show - and then played the 100 Club in London a couple of days before the tour opener in Rotterdam.

Since then, theyve done one in North America during rehearsals for the start of every world tour (two in 1997)but none anywhere else.

9th April 2008 08:31 AM
nankerphelge "AP - April 9, 2008 - Tardrite Corporation today annouced that it is searching world-wide for a new corporate spokesperson. According to the company's press release, Tardrite has attained such a position in the head protection marketplace that it feels it can benefit from a broader acceptance of and exposure to its products, just as Subway did with Jared. "We expect the right candidate to possess those skills and talents that makes the buying public realize that it is okay to need protective head gear," states the press release.

Tardrite has manufactured and distributed high-end and stylish protective headgear for our less fortunate friends for over ten years.

9th April 2008 09:19 AM
Lazy Bones with the Toronto club gigs, the time and location of the gig was verbally given to the 'hard core' fans that repeatedly attended rehearsals. you could tell which ones were fans and which ones were there for an autograph so they could sell it on ebay.

I remember one night during rehearsals, Jim Callahan (now doing security with Dylan, I believe) asked a little girl - maybe 9 or 10 - which Stones had left rehearsals and who remained. knowing the names, she was granted a one-on-one meeting with Keith complete with hello, hug and autograph!

this, after all, is/was the ultimate pay back for the fans. they do want to allow a day or two's notice so the fans can arrange to be at the location once the announcement is made on local radio - not just the first 300 people walking by and notice the neon sign!
9th April 2008 10:40 AM
Gazza ..which is the best way, isnt it?

cant see what there is to gain by some random announcement that instead 'rewards' someone who might just happen to be shopping in the vicinity of the club and who probably has to ask which one is Mick Jagger.
9th April 2008 11:34 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:
..which is the best way, isnt it?

...imo, absolutely!
10th April 2008 02:29 AM
IanBillen
Actually,

I know Gazza feels this is kinda absurd but I am speaking of a pure surprise. Even if it means performing in a city in which The Stones were not rehearsing for a tour. Maybe an adjacent city or town.

Sure it would be kind-of a "stunt". But isn't that what The stones are known for in many ways.

If the set list was kept short, and security was really beefed up and laid out in and around the club and as well with ample stage security I could see them pulling it off. Like I said if they did eight or nine tunes and jetted out of there.

I want a total surprise. I'd love to see the look on peoples faces when The Rolling Stones took the stage instead of a just a popular local band that was scheduled.

Ian
10th April 2008 03:12 AM
pdog
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
In '99 they wanted to open the tour at the Fillmore after rehearsing there for about 10 days. Too many people were showing up to listen from outside during the rehearsals that they bagged that idea. They did have a small place in Berkeley ready to go for them a few days before the Oakland Arena show but that got nixed for security concerns.

My brother in-law as inside for those shows. He was working for Lars ulrich at the time, and he had brcome close friends to Jagger.
10th April 2008 07:23 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Actually,

I know Gazza feels this is kinda absurd but I am speaking of a pure surprise. Even if it means performing in a city in which The Stones were not rehearsing for a tour. Maybe an adjacent city or town.

Sure it would be kind-of a "stunt". But isn't that what The stones are known for in many ways.

If the set list was kept short, and security was really beefed up and laid out in and around the club and as well with ample stage security I could see them pulling it off. Like I said if they did eight or nine tunes and jetted out of there.

I want a total surprise. I'd love to see the look on peoples faces when The Rolling Stones took the stage instead of a just a popular local band that was scheduled.

Ian

Fair enough. But youre not going to be there to see "the look on people's faces" (and I doubt most of these people care anyway), so whats the point?

If theyre going to play such shows - and they have limited chances to do so - then isnt it preferable that their FANS get the chances to see them as opposed to people who couldnt give a shite? God knows, the real fans get sidelined at enough gigs as it is already without these sort of shows being added to the list.
14th April 2008 04:51 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Fair enough. But youre not going to be there to see "the look on people's faces" (and I doubt most of these people care anyway), so whats the point?

If theyre going to play such shows - and they have limited chances to do so - then isnt it preferable that their FANS get the chances to see them as opposed to people who couldnt give a shite? God knows, the real fans get sidelined at enough gigs as it is already without these sort of shows being added to the list.

Maybe I wouldn't be there of coarse but I could see footage. The Stones crew could cover the event on camera. I, as well as 99% even on this board cannot make the club gigs even when we know they are going to happen and where.

Hell,
I have enough trouble making the concerts.

I think we may be speaking from different realms here.

You like the quality, the sound, performance, and viewing.

That is understandable. But it's a club gig. That is going to be sloppy regardless. They are supposed to be, really. I view the club gigs as stunts and rare occurrences and get into the "stunt" of it all.

You are looking for more of a great seat and taking note of the performance. I like the crazyness of it all.

This is why we see it differently.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
14th April 2008 08:52 AM
Gazza No no....my musical perspective is exactly the same as yours - plus I agree its a stunt to get publicity.

I just think that it should be fans who get in rather than just random people who probably couldnt care less, and those are the people who should be prioritised, not those of us who are nowhere near the place.

You're not going to see more than a song or two online anyway unless someone bootlegs it. No way will the Stones ever release a sloppily performed rehearsal. See Phoenix Club gig.
14th April 2008 09:06 AM
gimmekeef I only hope we get to have this discussion again regarding a new actual warm up gig no matter where it is.
14th April 2008 09:41 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
IanBillen wrote
I want a total surprise.

Ian, why would you want that?

Any Stones fan wouldn't want that. We all look for opportunities to see such a gig; a stunt like this doesn't even come close to representing a 'thank you' let alone time and a fair opportunity to get in.

It serves zero purpose!
14th April 2008 10:05 AM
~Cocaine Eyes~ Ian is suggesting a total surprise gig. I live in Toronto and I have to tell you....as soon as "beefed up security" happens anywhere when the band is in town, rumours start.

Also, the scalpers have "runners" who follow the trucks leaving rehearsals with equipment, etc. This happened the morning of the Horseshoe Tavern gig.

Jimmy Callaghan did tell the die-hards about the Palais Royale, so we got in easily. However, some scalpers managed to pay people to (somehow) get the wristbands off and then sell them.

With the Phoenix Theatre, there was a communications screw-up and some idiot radio station gave away the name early in the day, before the die-hards were able to get there.

It's really quite a complicated thing for logistics and the band.

From my experience here, I think the RPM gig was perhaps the biggest "surprise". Really, even the die-hards did not know abbout that one until it was time to line up.
[Edited by ~Cocaine Eyes~]

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)