ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE ANYMORE!!!
Click HERE or the image to go to our new home...

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hazy - very Hazy Return to archive
13th April 2008 08:44 AM
nankerphelge Just a quick note that TomL and I went to see Shine A Light last night at the IMAX theater Steven F. Udvar-Hazy center here in Sweet Virginia.

The question came up as to who Steven F. Udvar-Hazy was.

The center is part of the Smithsonian Institute's Air and Space Museum. Perhaps Hazy was an air and space lover. Perhaps he was a pioneer in aeronuatics.

Nope - Hazy is the leading donor to the National Air and Space Museum Capital Campaign. In October 1999, at a ceremony in the museum, Udvar-Hazy donated $60 million.

As for the movie, overall it was good with some really great moments. But given Scorcese's talents, I think it could have been much more.

I got a kick out of the running gag in the beginning - no one giving Marty the set list. He poked considerable fun at himself which was entertaining. The conference call with Mick was excellent.

I was most pleasantly surprised when Keith played the 12-string so nicely on As Tears Go By. Mangled fingers and all, he played that beautifully.

Really liked the old footage -- he dug some neat stuff up. I loved the one of the band on their second tour and Mick is all sorts of chiba faced trying to answer the interviewer's questions!

And I laughed out loud at Mick during Far Away Eyes.
I have never seen the song live, and the line about the preacher kept right on sayin that all I got to do... when he belts that out in one long line I nearly pissed myself.
Ronnie plays a mean pedal steel too.

Fun time.
Thomas, I'm sorry about the scheduling screw up.
Beers soon my brother!

13th April 2008 09:03 AM
PartyDoll MEG Here I thought you were gonna tell us you were a little hazy this mornin', Nanky?!!!
13th April 2008 09:03 AM
cabledogg2 Do you still have to pay for parking if your just seeing a movie?
13th April 2008 11:14 AM
LadyJane "As for the movie, overall it was good with some really great moments. But given Scorcese's talents, I think it could have been much more."

Did we see the same film???

Kindly define "much more".

No mention of "Champagne and Reefer"?
No mention of "Just My Imagination"?

I'm shocked, Nanky.
I cannot believe this film did not blow you out of your seat.

LJ.

[Edited by LadyJane]
13th April 2008 11:49 AM
pdog wake and bake,Nanky!!!

I saw it again Friday night, with two guys who saw it and two who didn't It was just as good the 2nd time... Everyone I talk too, has been blown away. This is something, b/c even we're impressed... the casual, long lost and tourists are having jaw dropping experiences... If this was to be the final piece on them. i have to say, it would be fitting. although we know they gotta keep going. Maybe this will push them enough to realize, they gotta live up to this... let's hope.
The scene when Keith spits out the cigarette is fucking crazy!!!!
Buddy Guy is my fav. [art... woth many , many close 2nds... and Xtina is HOT!!! as HELL!!!!
13th April 2008 11:54 AM
nankerphelge I don't know.

It was a lot to absorb all at once on the IMAX.

Ironic that we go to a massive screen theater to get all the nuance of a small theater show.

And don't get me wrong -- there were other great moments that I enjoyed.

13th April 2008 11:59 AM
SweetVirginia How was the audience, Nanky? Was the theater full? Did they seem like Stones fans or "civilians"?

You had to love Buddy Guy, no?
13th April 2008 12:42 PM
nankerphelge The theater was pretty full.
There were mixed civilians and fans.

I heard lots of clapping and stuff, but it was hard to tell if it was the IMAX sound of the Beacon clapping.

Buddy Guy was great -- there was one point where Buddy looked absolutely transfixed when Mick was blowing that awesome harp.

Some Girls was snotty.
I like that snotty little song.
All snotty and shit.

13th April 2008 12:53 PM
SweetVirginia That Buddy Guy close-up was amazing.

And you're so right. Mick seemed young and raunchy again during "Some Girls".
13th April 2008 02:06 PM
LadyJane
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:

Buddy Guy was great -- there was one point where Buddy looked absolutely transfixed when Mick was blowing that awesome harp.

Some Girls was snotty.
I like that snotty little song.
All snotty and shit.

That's more like the Nanky I know.
I agree about the clapping.
Thought it was theatre-goers but then thought "maybe it's the Beacon crowd"

ONe of my favorite moments is the end of "Just My Imagination" when Mick ala Handsome Girls belts out "She doesn't fucking know me".

Awesome.

LJ.
13th April 2008 02:12 PM
Some Guy I wonder if jb enjoyed it?
13th April 2008 07:30 PM
TomL Thought it was great for the second time. Mick was mad at KR with the singing of KR. The Electricity in that room that night was awesome. I will hold you to those beers Nanky. It was a Some Girls night. I always love JMI live. 4 songs I think. Anyway, on with the fall tour.
13th April 2008 07:36 PM
TomL Sorry thanks for the Udvar update. Hazy that is...........
13th April 2008 08:02 PM
Joey
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I wonder if jb enjoyed it?

My Baby Joshy need not be idealized ...................

Baby Jo Jo Bean !
13th April 2008 08:06 PM
mojoman ground control to major toml?
13th April 2008 08:56 PM
Martha Just got back from seeing SAL a second time and I liked it, wait I mean I LOVED it even more than I did for my first viewing. What an absolutely brilliant and amazing performance and Marty did a stunning job. It is no easy feat capturing a concert on film.

Hell I felt like I'm IN the Beacon Theater and I behave as though I am at the show. IMAX is incredible. I could see SAL every damn day......bet that could cure my depression. ;-)

Oh, and I'm right there with you pdog on the cig being blown straight outta Keef's mouth...that was madness. Made me wanna do that too, but I gave up the cigs way back in my youth. A great moment.

I loved Buddy Guy on stage with them, he coulda stayed there all night long so Mick would keep playin that wonderful harp.

I feel so lucky that we have this film for all time now. Lucky indeed.

xxxooo,
Martha

PS Hugs and Kisses to you Capt.!
14th April 2008 12:45 AM
parmeda
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
I don't know.

It was a lot to absorb all at once on the IMAX.

Ironic that we go to a massive screen theater to get all the nuance of a small theater show.

And don't get me wrong -- there were other great moments that I enjoyed.

Nanky...honey...I've seen it 3 times now...

THREE TIMES!

...and working on my 4th!

And each time - it gets better

You're right - there's A LOT to absorb. I suggest you get your Nanky-butt back over to Hazy's and throw down for another ticket, babe!
14th April 2008 06:43 AM
LadyJane Email this a.m.from my Hair Stylist who is a casual fan but has fallen under MY influence:

I feel like a Proud Mama

LJ.
14th April 2008 07:49 AM
PartyDoll MEG The only thing that had me troubled with this "hazy report" is the lack of commentary from our Nankiness on the Buddy Guy performance. The highlight of the whole show goes unmentioned until questioned later. Tom come clean..was Nanky "under the weather"?!!!
14th April 2008 05:39 PM
Joey

BEST STONES YET !!!!!!!

JJJJJJJJAZZY JOE !
14th April 2008 05:55 PM
moofpiss
quote:
Joey wrote:

BEST STONES YET !!!!!!!

JJJJJJJJAZZY JOE !

Dont ever mention the Eagles again.
14th April 2008 06:29 PM
TomL Nanky was fine PDM.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)