ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE ANYMORE!!!
Click HERE or the image to go to our new home...

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rocks off members review "Shine a Light" Return to archive Page: 1 2
5th April 2008 04:58 PM
akula Camera Work 10/10
Sound 9.5/10
Setlist 9/10

Overall 9/10

This film is a must see in IMAX. Simply brilliant. I am seriously considering a second viewing even though the nearest IMAX showing is about an hour drive. I can't imagine it would be so great on DVD or on a regular movie screen.

Mr. Magnificent Mick Jagger, Keef Riffhard, Rockin' Ronnie Wood, and Wang-Dang Doodle Charlie Watts kick ass throughout this Scorcese magnum-opus.

5th April 2008 04:59 PM
Joey
quote:
akula wrote:
Camera Work 10/10
Sound 9.5/10
Setlist 9/10

Overall 9/10

This film is a must see in IMAX. Simply brilliant. I am seriously considering a second viewing even though the nearest IMAX showing is about an hour drive. I can't imagine it would be so great on DVD or on a regular movie screen.

Mr. Magnificent Mick Jagger, Keef Riffhard, Rockin' Ronnie Wood, and Wang-Dang Doodle Charlie Watts kick ass throughout this Scorcese magnum-opus.

***** " 10 !!!! " ******

... " YES !!!! "
5th April 2008 05:17 PM
mrhipfl I'd give it a 9 too. I would have liked to see more archive and documentary footage, and maybe a few less close-ups and more shots of the stage. Other than that it's pretty much perfect. The show is honest and overdub free and the guitars, while not perfect, are loud and roaring. Mick was as frantic as ever. Todays Stones could not have been represented in a better way. I'm seeing it again tonight.
5th April 2008 06:08 PM
Bruno Iīve just seen it in a regular movie screen. I was relieved with the mix, the guitars are loud as they should be. My only complaint is the setlist, which could be a little better. I would be perfectly happy without Live With Me and Connection. Canīt stop thinking Rambler should be there.

Too many close ups in Mick. Charlie deserved to be shown more. Overall, Shine a Light is fantastic, and I left the room very proud of being a Rolling Stones fan.

5th April 2008 06:42 PM
glencar Yes, Midnight Rambler should have been there. And I agree with preferring a wider range shot of the stage at times. The Beacon is a beautiful place to see a show & it could have been anywhere in the world. The sound is stellar & of course, Mick's singing is sublime. It's nice to reminded about how good they are without all the bells & whistles. I could have done without seeing that sponge (aka "Blondie") on stage though.
5th April 2008 07:57 PM
LadyJane OUTSTANDING!!!!

I give it a 9.5 only because I would have liked to have seen more of the older footage. It was FUNNY and my audience was into it.

Must see movie for EVERY Fan of this band.

The sound was FANTASTIC.

I really felt that I was at the Beacon and those of you that WERE there, I am so very envious, yet thrilled for you.

Got a little teary during As Tears Go By and Far Away Eyes.

Went with a girlfriend who is a true fan and we were grooving.

I will gladly see it again in IMAX format.

BRING ON A TOUR!!!!!!!!

LJ.

PS. I cannot believe about 9 people got up for Piss breaks during Keith's set

[Edited by LadyJane]
5th April 2008 08:28 PM
Bitch It was so much fvcking fun seeing SAL at the IMAX in NYC, a full house and the 8 PM show was sold out! So it was packed with 'Stones People' and we started to meet up for the pre-party around 3 PM, so by showtime,(almost) everyone was fired up!

Now ~ about the movie ~ I must say watching MICK on the extra large screen gave me the chills! OMG I love MICK more than ever! He is fvcking beautiful in spite of his wrinkles. I think all of the RS are proud of the long and often difficult road they've travelled to get where they are today and their faces proves it but they defy age! The old footage confirms this, and those clips are fvcking funny! The things they said back in the early days are priceless!

I never had such a close look at MICK, ever! I couldnt stop watching his arms and hands, you can see every beautiful hair on his head, and I was obsessed with his every little detail and his sexy movements. OMG by the end of the show I was damp ,,,,,must be some juice overflowing from my LOVING CUP, LOL! EXCELENT! No kidding, SAL is a MICK lovers wet dream on film. MARTY, KEEF, Ronnie & Charlie and everyone else on stage was excellent too, but I'd say the camera was on MICK alot of the time. KEEF did a very good performance with YOU GOT THE SILVER. My favorite song was CHAMPAGNE & REEFER, Buddy Guy kicks ass and has an intensiity in his gaze, and those lyrics are cool as hell. Did he write that song? I love it!

The audience shots were the paid actors in the front, but if you scan the audience you can see some of the 'real' fans in the baclonys and towards the back rows. We are there cheering and clapping, and the real fans get some footage too! I may recognise some of the people, but when it comes out on DVD I can pause and give a closer look. There is an authenticity to the movie, it doesnt look staged. You cant stage the STONES and I feel Marty's frustration with not knowing the setlist ahead of time! Real life drama, lol!

A+ OUTSTANDING MOVIE!
5th April 2008 08:42 PM
pdog Bee Aye You Tee FULL !!!!

Who was the lucky guy guy to run into Bitch right after she left the theater... lol!
5th April 2008 08:52 PM
chris girard Outstanding--A must see--will probably see it again.
Loving Cup was great, You Got the Silver was wonderful with great guitar from Ronnie. The piece with Buddy Guy proves that they are still one of the best blues bands ever, and Christina was cool, she held her own with Mick, nice version of that song, although not one of my favorites. Brown Sugar was a smoker as well as Sympathy. Scorese produced a masterpiece. A real salute to the Stones. I would have liked a touch more of Charlie.
5th April 2008 08:54 PM
sweetcharmedlife [quote]LadyJane wrote:
OUTSTANDING!!!!

Just like a real Stones concert.
5th April 2008 09:09 PM
PartyDoll MEG Yep..

Outstanding all the way around

Some truly funny and some very touching moments. As Tears Go By was sublime and when Keith started playing the guitar, I did tear up. I did not do that for Far Away Eyes, LJ! Loved Just My Imagination. Loving Cup turned out to be really good too, as I really didn't like Jack and Mick's singing together on the CD. But the absolute highlight for me was Reefers!!

Minor complaints were of course the "bimbos," as they have been named on RO. I also wish there had been more behind the scenes and old footage.
5th April 2008 09:10 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
sweetcharmedlife wrote:
[quote]LadyJane wrote:
OUTSTANDING!!!!

Just like a real Stones concert.

I really tried but at 55 hey it was better then well....
5th April 2008 09:52 PM
72Tele I thought it was great. The way it was shot and the fact it was in IMAX made it so much better then the average concert movie. The guitars were loud and that is always good. My only wish would have been for a Chuck Berry song and a reggae tune for history reasons. It was really nice to see them in a setting where there was not one bit of commercial signage. Not a trace of what tour they are in the middle of.

I saw it just outside Buffalo NY on opening night. There hasn't been a Stones show in the area(not counting Toronto) since the BTB tour so I was curious what the turn out would be like. It sold out and the crowd was into it for a movie. They clapped at the end. The crowd was almost exclusively 40+. Nothing like a Stones event crowd to remind me of how fucking old I am(47). My son who is 13 was the only kid and that sort of surprised me. He loved it.
5th April 2008 10:37 PM
pdog I'm definitely going to go again, and my friend said the same. There's another group of friends going tonite, but I promised to go see a friends band play...
5th April 2008 10:59 PM
LadyJane
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:

Outstanding all the way around

Some truly funny and some very touching moments. As Tears Go By was sublime and when Keith started playing the guitar, I did tear up.

Yep.Meggy that's IT.
when Keith hits the stool with the acoustic and strums those opening chords..........NO WORDS. Instant tears.

Great film.

LJ
5th April 2008 11:00 PM
Bob Tamp I really loved the movie. Wished for a little more documentary footage. Lots of high points. One of my favorite scenes if at the end of YOU GOT THE SILVER when Keith crouches down on the stage. The lighting hits him, and it's almost demonic looking. Classic in every way.
5th April 2008 11:33 PM
mrhipfl Saw it again tonight and was way more impressed this time. Mick is a fuckin' beast man.

It amazes me how "young" they still are. They've grown wrinkly and all, but they still have the same energy they had 30 years ago. Mick's still running around the same way. Keef still wears this huge grin and shining youthful eyes. Charlie's still shy and modest. And Ronnie's still a goofy kid having a blast. They refused to grow up, and that's probably why I like them so much. It's almost like Holden Caulfield saved them from falling off the cliff...
5th April 2008 11:41 PM
iluvmickjagger07 just saw it
it was excellentt
great set list, funny, many surprises... and i like how the camra was focused on the band rather than the audience like in bigger bang dvd...
the funniest part was when keith was asked "what question are you most often asked" and keith says "the one you asked me."
6th April 2008 12:12 AM
the good Is it playing anywhere around Minneapolis?
6th April 2008 12:34 AM
Bloozehound It rocked ass, see @ the IMAX for the all the glory, it's like front stage seating to the best Stones concert

Did Mick not do the, "black girls just wanna get fucked all night" line on Some Girls or was I just Schlitz's ?

Best quote was Keith's on how to get out of boring presidential meet n greets, 'Nice to meet ya Clinton, but I'm "Bushed"' or something to that effect, he don't give a fuck, love that guy, good stuff

Out of a score card of 6 can'o Schlitzs it gets the full tall boy sixer
6th April 2008 12:48 AM
TomL I went tonight and it rocked. A really different view. They were larger than life. Thought the band rocked and were tight. Great set, although SMU was way off. Keith was great, Charlie has a couple of classics. The electricity flowing in the room was great. Shattered was right on beat. A Some Girls night. But the electricity in that room.. that night.... was awesome. You can't make up that shit. SVROXOXO.

May your Rolling Stones heart follow you forever...................star.. fuck.. the.... star..... fuck the star........fuck the star............fuck the star.......

I'll go the 12th again if anyone still wants to come over.
6th April 2008 02:04 AM
mmdog
Just fantanstic. No complaints at all. I saw it in IMAX and want to see it again. It will be closer to see it on the regular screen this time, has anybody seen it on both? Loved the 1-2 punch of Champagne and Reefer and Tumbling Dice. Some Girls was fucking great.
6th April 2008 02:12 AM
Brainbell Jangler The wife and I caught it at the Imax. Astonishingly great. The Muddy Waters classic "Champagne and Reefer" was the highlight for me, especially the intensity on Buddy Guy's face when he sang, "There should be no law on a man that wants to smoke a little dope." And though I know I'll catch hell for it from the macho poseurs, I too was a little misty during ATGB. I did miss Rambler (and wouldn't have minded another HTW, either), but I can't complain. We'll definitely see it again, and will probably take the kids (they love Christina Aguilera).
6th April 2008 09:21 AM
chevysales great to see in imax....

first imax movie for me and while i am not a fan of most concert movies this one was a winner.

and yes the pretty front row models were kinda fake... and did i hear a click when someone held up a disposable camera and took a picture? if so nice touch for the film.

[Edited by chevysales]
6th April 2008 09:44 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
And though I know I'll catch hell for it from the macho poseurs, I too was a little misty during ATGB.

Don't you worry, BJ...
They all got misty eyed too
6th April 2008 11:36 AM
Sister Morphine Well, I watched it right on Friday, but didn't have time to post my review here yet.

So, here it is:

First of all I want to say: I LOVED LOVED LOVED it so much!!!!!
I went went with my sister and although she isn't a Stones fan she said: This movie was pretty cool. (She liked Some Girls best, as far as I know....and, she won't admit in public, but I know: She adores Mick shaking his hips! *lol* Then who doesn't? *gg*)

The crowd in the movie really wasn't huge, altogether we were about 10 or 13 people only. There was what seemed to be a grandfather with his grandchild.
What disappointed me a bit was, that noone rocked! I mean, I was the only one clapping my hands and shrieking and shouting 'Wohoo' or whatever all the time, I tried to animate the others but noone would join in. They were all just sitting there, staring at the screen, not moving. Unbelievable! I kept on rocking, though!

I think the movie is awesome! Brilliant!
There were a few times when I was very close to tears, the closest I guess was during Champagne & Reefer! Man, was that beautiful! It was so heartwarming I couldn't think if anything else properly! Loved it! For me, in fact, I'd say it was the absolute high in the whole movie!!

I loved Far Away Eyes, it was so wonderful. Keith and Mick singing into the same Mike together was priceless and I almost melted away in my seat!

She Was Hot was amazing, as was Sympathy (that entrance is georgeous!), Brown Sugar, Star Me Up, and even Tumblign Dice which I very often find not really catching live. But here it got me really in the groove. They all were fantastic!

I wished they hadn't cut so much of Keith's performance of Connection, however, what was in the movie was pretty cool.

Lovin Cup with Jack White was nice, too, although somehow I like it better without him.

I think Christina Aguilera did a great job on Live With Me! The duet with Mick was awesome! She's such a great voice!

I adored Keith's performance of You Got The Silver in the movie. Smoking, singing, smoking singing, it was so great. And when he knelt down onto the floor in the end I thought my heart would stop beating in the next second! Lovely and soooo cute!

Just My Imagination was marvellous as well. There's one moment during that performance, when there's a shot on Keith and he isn't playing, you know, he had just stopped for a second and walked a bit to the side, and wjile he's doing so he's this unbelievable, unidentifiable expression on his face! It seemed that he watched Mick for that instant, and I'd give anything to know what he's been thinking then! It's a look to die for, yet somewhat..well...undefiable.

I liked the material from the past a lot. And when Keith gives Buddy Guy his guitar and says it's his to keep. Lovely!

And I also had a lot to laugh: Marty's desperation in the beginning because of the setlist, Mick's band introduction where he gets hat wrong with where Lisa is from - Brooklyn not Queens - all these fantastic Keith one-liners, and simply sitting there and watching the greatest and best band ever! Lots of huge Cheshire keith smiles in there, loved it!! And in the end, when he keeps kneeling down witrh his guitar. It's so sweet.
The best laugh I had in all the movie, I think, was during Far Away Eyes when he sang the Chorus with Mick, and said 'Shut Up!' and starts laughing! Hilarious!

The sound at the theatre was great, and the screen was huuuuge, although I didn't see it in IMAX.

I'm definitely going to watch it again and again!

The soundtrack CD's great too!

A must-see and hear for every Stones fan in the world!!!

No doubt I'll give this film a10: TEN!!!!

"One Love"

6th April 2008 01:17 PM
SweetVirginia I've now seen it on both an IMAX screen and on a regular screen and I have to say I liked the regular screen better. The close-up nature of the film makes it plenty big on a regular screen and doesn't have any of the little distortions you can get on IMAX.

The sound is absolutely incredible. The crowd noise comes from behind you, the guitars are shredding right in your face...just amazing.

It is also visually stunning. The color is warm and our boys look raw and beautiful. I'm so glad that Scorsese is a Stones fan!

Both times I was in a full theater of Stones fans, which really added to the enjoyment.

This is a beautiful legacy for our band, and a great souvenir of that wonderful night we spent at the Beacon in November 06.
6th April 2008 03:11 PM
mrhipfl I never realized how many stupid questions the Stones have to answer.

"who would you be if you weren't Mick Jagger?"

"Well I guess I'd be somebody else."
6th April 2008 03:53 PM
Throwaway No (even casual) fan should still be pondering whether or not to see the movie after these reviews, which are spot on. Dozens of "tingle" worthy moments throughout, and even the warhorses got me stompin' my feet. 4.75/5 (-1/4 star because of inclusion of M. Cohl)
[Edited by Throwaway]
7th April 2008 11:24 AM
polytoxic I thought it was pretty good. Certainly entertaining and there were some great "stones moments" of the band's personality coming through. Highlights for me were "She Was Hot" which really smoked, "Far Away Eyes" for Keith being Keith, "You Got The Silver" which Keith sang unbelievably well, and "Champagne And Reefer". There were definitely overdubs (SMU for one), but not as much as they normally do with these things. Could've used a little less Mick and little more Charlie and Ronnie. Jack White looked ready to crap himself on stage, which was funny. Christina Aguilera can shake those little tits real nice and has a good voice, but her vocal gymnastics got really annoying after a while. Got a laugh out of Keith's reaction to her after the song (not too impressed). Sound and the mix were tremendous. Keith's guitar tone was to die for. And it was lit, shot and edited top notch. Still found myself losing interest somewhat when SMU started and I knew it was that, BS, Satisfaction and out the door. Enjoyed the Raging Bull callback in the final scene as the Stones left the building. Now, when's the next real show?
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)