ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Fer
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: No show in Bangkok tomorrow! Technical probs Return to archive
04-09-03 06:31 PM
Monkey Woman Posted by Stonesdoug at Shidoobee:

Re: Bangkok recheduled
There will be no show in Bangkok tomorrow --they had a problem getting the equipment out of India---more info soon
SHIDOOBEE

Read it all here:

http://pub6.ezboard.com/fshidoobeewithstonesdougfrm258.showMessage?topicID=5.topic
04-09-03 06:35 PM
Monkey Woman More on the same subject:

---------

Tour is over for now

A truck ran into one of the Stone's planes today at the Mumbai airport and damaged one of the engines. After waiting around the airport most of the day, it was decided to postpone the Thailand show until next fall when they come back for China, Hong Kong and more shows in India
SHIDOOBEE

http://pub6.ezboard.com/fshidoobeewithstonesdougfrm19.showMessage?topicID=2482.topic
04-09-03 06:35 PM
Gazza from rs.com

April 09, 2003
Stones Show in Bangkok Postponed

Tour plane grounded due to mechanical failure

The Rolling Stones were forced to cancel their concert in Bangkok scheduled for April 10 when the plane that was to take the band and their entire production crew from Mumbai to Bangkok was grounded due to mechanical failure and unable to leave Mumbai in time to arrive in Bangkok and set up the production. Mick Jagger had arrived in Bangkok earlier than the rest of the band in order to shoot segments for a Rolling Stones documentary film. The rest of the band and their production crew were to have flown from Mumbai to Bangkok late today.

The Rolling Stones concert in Bangkok will be rescheduled for a later date.

Full ticket refunds will be available from Impact Arena on Thursday 10th April from 5pm - 9pm and Thaiticketmaster Head Office starting Friday 11th and Saturday 12th 10am - 6pm and from the Thursday 17th April - 3rd
May 10am - 6pm. For more information please call 02 204 9999.

04-09-03 06:37 PM
Gazza how difficult is it to get a plane that flies properly and reschedule a show for a couple of days after the original date..its the last scheduled stop on this tour,so its not like they have to reschedule the concert AFTER other shows

sounds very fishy to me!
04-09-03 06:58 PM
nankerphelge Man, that's frustrating getting all worked up for some good Bangkok, and then you can't get your plane off the ground...

04-09-03 07:10 PM
LadyJane Damn, there goes Parmy's dream of her Birthday in Bangkok with Mick!

This whole Asia leg has had it's share of problems. Why don't they just come back to the States.............

LadyJ.
04-09-03 07:10 PM
Monkey Woman Difficult to say, Gazza. To find a plane is one thing, but to reschedule a show they need to:
1. book the venue (big arenas are often booked long in advance)
2. get visas and work permits for everybody (150 persons, 10 or 12 different nationalities)
3. handle the health concerns, hotel booking, publicity, equipment trucking, loading and unloading, etc.
4. and all the while pay the salaries, the truck and plane hiring fees, the hotel, the insurance premiums, etc.

In fact, I found it impressive that they could move the Indian and Thai shows the way they did in so few days.

Maybe now they got fed up? The Bangkok concert had already been rescheduled once. And there's been a few SARS cases in Thailand. Add the fact that Thailand is not as big a market as India, where there was the incentive of breaking new grounds for back-catalogue sales... As some pointed out, the income from the ticket sales only wouldn't have covered the production costs in the Asian shows.

So probably they decided to cut the losses and do a new tour of several Asian cities all in a big bash, to maximize the effects of publicity and minimize the costs. It makes economical sense, and we know they're not bad managers...
04-09-03 08:23 PM
Joey I am utterly Crestfallen !

Slowly I put away the KY Jelly ......................

Skittles !
04-09-03 09:56 PM
BILL PERKS MICKY MUST BE HIGHLY PISSED HE'S GONNA MISS ALL THAT YOUNG THAI POON.IN STANLEY BOOTHS BOOK HE TALKS ABOUT THE WHOREHOUSE HE VISITED LONG AGO.
04-09-03 10:20 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy It's just as well. We get Keith away from one of the sources of his serum in "The Experiment". And Mick, well, Mick'll do whatever he wants, wherever he wants.

Ronnie and Charlie would probably just have hung out in the hotel!

I agree, this whole Asia leg has sucked, and I feel really bad for all the guys who've never gotten to see them live who've been delayed yet again after forty years of waiting.

I hope they keep their *ahem* tickets clean and so forth, so they can get in when the boys finally make it back.

-tSYX --- 3:36, it's cold, I know I'm getting old...
[Edited by TheSavageYoungXyzzy]
04-09-03 10:25 PM
steel driving hammer Well shit, at least they didn't fly on that plane!

WTF!

Shit thats good news!

But bad news is, they have 2 long months off now.

The band will go their seperate ways now like they always do.
04-09-03 10:33 PM
BILL PERKS HOPE THIS RETURN TO ASIA DOESNT SCREW UP ANY USA SHOWS THEY MAVE HAVE PLANNED.
04-10-03 02:08 AM
parmeda
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Damn, there goes Parmy's dream of her Birthday in Bangkok with Mick!

Not entirely true, LadyJ...
The real reason it was cancelled was because Mick is coming here to spend the day with me!!! Wasn't that sweet of him? I'm getting ready for my very own "Bangkok" show!

I'M KIDDING FOLKS!
The next thing I know is that I'll have 200 of you at my front door...my house is big, but it ain't THAT big
04-10-03 03:36 AM
Bluzian Yeah Gazza, I totally agree with you man. I read the Bangkok
cancellation and immediately my radar went up. I am rather
suspicious as to why this concert was cancelled. Is it still
to do with SARS?? Perhaps a terrorist threat in Thailand?
Idon't know, but, I'd be curious to know if MJ is even in
Bangkok, and the story of him being there is nothign more than
complete fabrication?? And what's with the truck hitting the
plane?? How bizarre is that? is there anyone out there who
works at the Mumbai airport to confirm this??

Anyone out there with info please let us know what the
lowdown is in the Far East!

Cheers,
Ian
04-10-03 05:28 AM
luxury1 I am not too worried about the cancellation. What with JC's heart attack, then the plane thing, the SARS, the rescheduling headaches, I think they just had a bad vibe about the whole thing, as it was only one date. I think they need a break. This leg of the tour has not been smooth. Remember the great party pics of the boys in INdia--all together and drinking vodka (and water).?? It just wasnt worth it, and with the bad circumstances, they went with their inclinations to slow down. Now you can all stop worrying.
04-10-03 08:52 AM
Lazy Bones Thursday, April 10, 2003

The Stones cancel Bangkok concert

BOMBAY, India (AP) -- The Rolling Stones canceled their concert in Bangkok after a technical snag grounded their crew's plane in Bombay, the band's Indian promoter said.

The crew had been set to fly from Bombay on Wednesday to the Thai capital, but their airplane developed a technical problem before they could board, promoter Dilip Doshi told The Associated Press. The band's crew was staying overnight in Bombay, he said.

"The Bangkok concert stands canceled," Doshi said.

The Stones had been scheduled to play Thursday at Impact Arena stadium on Bangkok's outskirts. Organizers had said they expected a near-capacity crowd at the 11,500-seat venue.

They performed Monday at a sold-out concert in Bombay's Brabourne Stadium, which holds 25,000 people. That was their second appearance in India after their concert last Friday in the southern city of Bangalore.

The Stones canceled their first-ever concerts in China because of severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS. The illness has infected about 2,700 people worldwide and killed at least 106.
04-10-03 10:17 AM
montana mick arrived at bangkok yesterday

04-10-03 10:24 AM
jb Ticket sales in Asia have been disatrous...this is a good way to save face and avoid playing in front of 5k people like the Who.
04-10-03 10:34 AM
montana another pic, this is from yahoo! news

04-10-03 12:28 PM
Monkey Woman At least, they could go back to a good hotel...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rolling Stones back at the Taj
By: Priscilla Mehta
Photographer: Shailesh Mule
April 10, 2003

Ron Wood returning at the taj yesterday. Pic: Shailesh Mule

The Taj and its plush sofas had been laying languorously for two-and-a-half hours last night when it suddenly began showing telltale signs of activity.

The management tried avoiding the thronging press, exchanging furtive glances and knowing nods.

But along with their quickening steps it soon became apparent that the Rolling Stones had rolled right back from the airport, their Malaysia Airlines flight having been delayed.

Obviously frustrated and tired, the band first tried entering through the side entrance, guarded as always by a faithful coterie.

It was the Stones minus Mick Jagger. Earlier yesterday the lead singer had already flown out.

But Keith Richards, Ron Wood, Charlie Watts and their 120-strong crew were back due to some unconfirmed �technical snag� with the plane, said ex-cricketer Dilip Doshi, �promoter and friend� of the group.

A few dejected crew members stumbled in tiredly through the main lobby and were quickly ushered in and checked into the very rooms they had said goodbye to earlier in the day.

The upset, grumpy musicians and crew ignored the whirring cameras and flash bulbs and headed straight for their rooms, refusing to make any comment.

Doshi said, �I don�t know what exactly happened, except that the chartered Malaysia Airlines plane they were supposed to have traveled in developed a technical snag and was detained indefinitely.�

Unconfirmed reports had it that a truck carrying the band�s equipment had dashed into the plane. Other unofficial reports blamed the SARS crisis raging in the Far East.

Whatever the reason, the group�s Bangkok concert, scheduled for today, stands cancelled.

It could not be confirmed if the show, the last one in the second, Asian leg of their world tour, would be rescheduled.

The final, European leg of the tour starts at Munich on June 6 and ends at Wembley on August 29.

Taj sources confirmed that they had had to make adjustments to re-accommodate the large troupe, but added that they managed the feat.

Maneck Patel, vice president and general manager, Taj, said before the band arrived, �We�re not sure what happened and why they are coming back, but we have everything ready and are waiting for them to arrive.�

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003