ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Fer
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mumbai setlist, pix & reviews Return to archive
04-07-03 01:55 PM
Monkey Woman Rolling Stones Perform Bombay Concert
17 minutes ago

By The Associated Press

BOMBAY, India - Thousands of fans waved posters and shouted, "We love you Mick Jagger (news)!" as the Rolling Stones opened their Bombay concert Monday with their hit "Brown Sugar."

AP Photo

The city's Brabourne Stadium, which holds 25,000 people, was sold out for the Bombay show, the band's second appearance in India after Friday's concert in the southern city of Bangalore.

Piyush Prasanna, a 38-year-old advertising manager, bought his ticket far in advance. He said the concert was a "trip down memory lane" for him and his former college friends.

The Rolling Stones, with their entourage of 150, canceled what would have been their first concerts in China because of a deadly flu-like disease that has infected at least 2,400 people worldwide and killed at least 100 people, mostly in Asia.

Travel warnings from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization about severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, prompted the band to cancel performances in Shanghai and Beijing scheduled before the India shows.

No cases of the disease have been reported in India.

The band's next performance is set for Wednesday in Bangkok, Thailand.
04-07-03 04:44 PM
Monkey Woman Another Mumbai review from Yahoo! News (AFP):

Bombay rocks under tight security to Rolling Stones magic

BOMBAY (AFP) - More than 15,000 young and old rock fans in Bombay had their first major concert in months as the legendary group, The Rolling Stones, performed under tight security.

AFP Photo

It was rock-and-roll all the way for the frenzied fans, who often beat their chests and stomped the ground, as they swayed to the electrifying performance of Mick Jagger and his troup of Keith Richards, Ronnie Woods and Charlie Watts.

The Rolling Stones were performing their second concert in India as part of their ongoing "Licks World Tour", with the first held three days ago in Bangalore.

"Kasa Kai Mumbai" (How are you Bombay?)," the opening wordsin the local Marathi language from blue jacket-clad Jagger, sent fans roaring in approval.

"It was a mind blowing performance," said V. Swaminathan, a local businessman and an ardent Jagger fan.

"It is Jagger all the way. He is just driving the show even at this age, backed strongly by the three others and the band."

Prior to the show, Bombay's fans had a tough time entering the venue at Brabourne stadium as nearly five hundred policemen swamped the place.

Police threw a tight security cordon as it was the first live entertainment show in the city after a series of bomb blasts in December 2002.

The India tour of The Rolling Stones was advanced by almost a week after they cancelled concerts in Hong Kong because of an outbreak of the deadly Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome which has claimed 100 lives, mostly in East Asia.

The Stones promised more shows in India.

"You know we will come back soon," said Richards.

--------

A few thoughts:

1) The Indians seems pretty taken with Mick, if not always with the Stones.

2) The boys do have guts, to go from disease-ridden Singapore to bomb-scared Mumbai.

3) Keith seems pretty taken with India!
04-07-03 04:51 PM
Monkey Woman From Stonesdoug's Shidoobee:
--------

Rolling Stones moves and shakes Mumbai
Indrajit Hazra
Mumbai, April 7

Unlike the ones in Sympathy For the Devil, these troubadors didn�t get �killed before they reach Bombay�. In fact, they reached Mumbai and brought the house down.

The Rolling Stones played a two-hour show in the sweltering heat of a jam-packed half of Brabourne Stadium and bade India goodbye with much more than riffs and struts. �Pass me a joint here, will you,� quipped Keith Richard after tasting the air before launching forth into Slipping Away. It was Mick Jagger, though, who teased, cajoled, aroused and sang to an audience of 20,000 fans who had come from various parts of the country and outside.

Only three songs were different: Rocks Off was replaced by All Down The Line, Bitch by Monkey Man and Before They Make Me Run by Happy. Rock�s richest band couldn�t resist taking a dig at those in the Rs 5,000 seats. Pointing at them, Mick said: �All those in the expensive seats, we�ll send you some champagne.�

It was not necessary. Shobhaa De was going wild during Satisfaction, while Vijay Mallya was going wild, full stop.

The Brabourne crowd roared in unison when Mick, after a song-refrain session with them during You Can't Always get What You Want, announced that "this crowd maybe louder than that in Bangalore". There was no rain here. Things were getting heated up. "It's not only the sweat that's getting me wet," said Sir Rubber Lips. "It's getting so hot up here that I have to change my pants."

The highlight of the concert was reached when after a brief interlude characterised by complete darkness, Mick burst forth to deliver the band's Sympathy For The Devil. And then, the crowd experienced a multiple climax with the teasing, moaning, fast-tempo and groaning concoction of Midnight Rambler. By the time, the Stones ended with Satisfaction and Jumping Jack Flash, Mumbai was left scarred with goosebumps.
04-07-03 06:03 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Now we had four different new threads about Mumbai, since this was the first one this is the one to stick at the top. Please is there's an existing thread on the same topic try to use it. Thanks in advance
04-07-03 06:05 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Posted by Moy 12:26 PM:

Apr 7, 1:29 PM EDT

Rolling Stones Perform Bombay Concert

By The Associated Press

BOMBAY, India (AP) -- Thousands of fans waved posters and shouted, "We love you Mick Jagger!" as the Rolling Stones opened their Bombay concert Monday with their hit "Brown Sugar."

The city's Brabourne Stadium, which holds 25,000 people, was sold out for the Bombay show, the band's second appearance in India after Friday's concert in the southern city of Bangalore.

Piyush Prasanna, a 38-year-old advertising manager, bought his ticket far in advance. He said the concert was a "trip down memory lane" for him and his former college friends.

The Rolling Stones, with their entourage of 150, canceled what would have been their first concerts in China because of a deadly flu-like disease that has infected at least 2,400 people worldwide and killed at least 100 people, mostly in Asia.

Travel warnings from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization about severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, prompted the band to cancel performances in Shanghai and Beijing scheduled before the India shows

No cases of the disease have been reported in India.

The band's next performance is set for Wednesday in Bangkok, Thailand
04-07-03 06:06 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Poste by Tom 1:49 PM and BTW, this setlist was the origin of all others, thank Nandita

Posted by Nandita at Undercover

Brabourne, Bombay setlistBrown Sugar, IORR, Start Me Up, Don't Stop
All Down the Line, Angie, YCAGWYW, Monkey Man
Miss You, Tumbling Dice, (Intros), Slipping Away
Happy, SFTD, Midnight Rambler
GS, YGMR, HTW
SFM, Satisfaction, JJF (encore) (Hope I have it right) Bigger, more
enthusiastic (and slightly older) crowd than Bangalore. People looked a
bit dazed when they played Monkey Man, however. Some people at the back
said Mick's voice was drowned out. They also said Keith looked as if he
had to sit for a bit, but I was right in front and couldn't see that.
When he said he'd sing Happy he said he'd have to go to the back to wake
Ronnie up. I thought Mick ended SFTD just a couple of seconds too soon.
It was incredibly hot and sweaty; Keith threw his guitar pick a bunch of
times and once he put it on the security guard's head. Mick lost one of
his tongue pins during SFTD and it landed just near me but I couldn't
reach it unfortunately, though I did manage to throw a flower at Keith &
Mick too. Mick said quite a bit in Hindi, which he didn't do in Bangalore
and if that was intentional it was pretty politically correct of him.
There was an Argentinian guy next to me who kept singing an Argentinian
song between the Stones' songs, ! and Mick changed the words from "Puerto
Rican girls dying to meet you" to "Argentinian girls." He was also quite
a lot more salacious here than in Bangalore.Nandita
04-07-03 06:08 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Posted by Alex on another thread http://novogate.com/board/968/148814-1.html at 12:40

Brown Sugar
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Start Me Up
Don't Stop
All Down the Line
Angie
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Monkey Man
Miss You
Tumbling Dice

Introductions

Slipping Away
Happy
Sympathy For The Devil
Midnight Rambler
Gimme Shelter
You Got Me Rocking
Honky Tonk Women
Street Fighting Man
Satisfaction

Jumping Jack Flash (encore)

Taken from Stonesdougs board

04-07-03 10:02 PM
CS Two additional pix from Yahoo News:

The last pic looks like Mick Jones from The Clash to me
04-07-03 11:47 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl 768Honky tonk men give city forty licksHonky tonk men give city forty licksAbhijit MajumderTIMES NEWS NETWORK

MUMBAI: Your parents always feared they'd
get you. They tried their best to keep you dry. But on Monday, the
hip-swaggering, in-your-face '60s' sex gods licked you all over, after all.

In about 120 minutes at the sweltering Brabourne
Stadium, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and their Rolling Stones proved they
hadn't gathered any moss, at least on their bones. The Jumping Jacks were off
and about in a flash, jamming hard, trying their old ways on Mumbai.

Ronnie Wood suggestively strummed the
guitar over his pelvis, Jagger took off his shirt and caressed the mike in slow
provocation. Keith Richards smoked onstage, as if in defiance of New York city
mayor Michael Bloomberg who fumed when the Stones did the same at a Madison
Square Garden concert a couple of months ago.

"Save a joint for me," shouted
Richards, and before the delighted shrieks of the thousands in the audience had
died down, he muttered to euphoric applause, "I mean an apartment in
Mumbai."

And as they changed to Honky Tonk Woman,
the background video started paying tribute to all those buttoned-up mayors of
the world�a topless woman animation character in skimpy black leather lingerie
sprung onto the giant video screen, rolling over, under and astride the giant
tongue that had travelled the world as the mascot of the Forty Licks tour.

"Kasa kay Mumbai?" asked Jagger
as the group broke onto the stage with 'It's Just Rock and Roll'. The numbers
rolled thereafter, and the people, many of whom had come from
lang=EN-GB>Delhi, Kolkata, Pune, Ahmedabad and other
cities did karaoke with Brown Sugar, Jumping Jack Flash and Sympathy
for the Devil

Everybody must get Stoned, and sure enough,
everybody was there� corporate bosses Vijay Mallya of the UB Group and
Britannia's Sunil Alagh, Adi and Parmeshwar Godrej, MTV's Cyrus Oshidar,
entertainers Sharon Prabhakar and Gary Lawyer, Mumbai's police commissioner
R.S. Sharma, Maharashtra deputy chief minister Chhagan Bhujbal, model Milind Soman
and a swarm of major and wannabe celebs. Many of those who stomped their feet
to the beat were from the Beat era, making it a veritable memory-play for
nostalgic 40- and 50-somethings. The teenyboppers were virtually absent.

The end was delirious and predictable.
Forty years and forty licks later, the Stones still close with '(I don't get
no) Satisfaction'
. Confetti came down from the skies in a burst of the
Indian tri-colour. The war seemed far away.

Tuesday, April 08, 2003 12:59:16 amjavascript:openWin('articleshow?msid=42705199&prtpage=1')javascript:openWindow('/mail.asp?msid=42705199')javascript:openWindow('/mailro.asp?msid=42705199&title=Honky tonk men give city forty licks')

Mumbai_Cities
04-07-03 11:58 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
04-08-03 04:08 AM
dealer squealing At least 18 songs of 20 where played at the Voodoo Lounge tour!! Indeed a greatest hits setlist, good for the people in India.
04-08-03 09:26 AM
Fabio Hot Stuff Hey, CS, it's Mick Jones that lookas like Keith!!
04-08-03 09:26 AM
montana another pic from yahoo!

04-08-03 01:05 PM
moy Stones give movers and shakers a night to remember
IANS

Tuesday, April 08, 2003

MUMBAI: The movers and shakers of Mumbai, India's financial and entertainment capital, have been left craving for more by the Rolling Stones, who rocked, rolled and wiggled their sexagenarian posteriors as they did 40 years ago!

Despite the stuffy weather worsened by overcast skies, a veritable who's who -- Vijay Mallya, Anil Ambani, Shobha De, the Godrejs, the Dubashes -- all thronged the Brabourne Stadium for their dose of the heady 1960s.

The Rs.5,000 enclosure, which was right within touching distance of singer Mick Jagger, reverberated as much as the Rs.500 boxes way back.

The merry old men who brought the house down played for two hours, belting out favourites like "Sympathy for the Devil", "Midnight Rambler" and "You Can't Get What You Want".

The grand finale was "Satisfaction" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash" that had the 20,000 strong crowd in stadium on its feet.

On their last leg of the India segment of their "40 Licks" international tour, the Rolling Stones belted out all their big hits in a little over two hours, with short breaks to enable Jagger to change shirts.

"It's not only the sweat that's getting me wet," said he. "It's getting so hot up here that I have to change my pants." But, no, he did not toss his shirts, ignoring the pleas of the jet set.

"It will probably auctioned off by the billionaire rockers," lamented someone in the crowd.

The Mumbai leg of the tour was slightly different from what had preceded in Bangalore on April 4. The stage was bigger, the sound fuller, and confetti... lots of nostalgia for the crowd to take back home.

There were also three new songs on the play list in the Mumbai concert. "Rocks Off" was replaced by "All Down The Line", "Bitch" by Monkey Man" and "Before They Make Me Run" by "Happy".

The 40-foot-long stage and the energetic dancers were, however, outdone by the veterans -- Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts.

Shirts came off, posteriors got wiggled like they did on tours 40 years ago, but no one complained.

Rotund matrons accompanied by slick daughters in slinky somethings puffed on cigarettes as Richards and Jagger called for "joints" but smoked the nicotine sticks.

And as they belted out "Brown Sugar" and "Beast of Burden", middle-aged executives in the Rs.2,000 enclosure bounced in their tie-and-dye shirts and clip-on earrings.

The sighs and moans ended only when all the stars bowed with an awkward 'dhanyavaad', or thank you, bringing the proceedings to a close.
04-08-03 01:38 PM
moy pix by ashish raje

[Edited by moy]
04-08-03 02:56 PM
Monkey Woman Pics from party in Mumbai

From http://web.mid-day.com/entertainment/society/2003/april/49476.htm

(from left) Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones at the party hosted by the Taj at Insomnia. Some of the celebs at the party included Dilip Doshi, Sunil Alagh, Anand and Anuradha Mahindra, Shobhaa De, Kailash and Aarti Surendranath. Jagger rocked the dance floor the night through, showing special enthusiasm for Madonna and Guns �n� Roses numbers. Pic: Ashish Raje
04-08-03 03:29 PM
Monkey Woman More from the Mumbai show:

--------------------

Ruling Stones gather Mumbai mass
By: Narendra Kusnur
April 8, 2003
http://web.mid-day.com/news/city/2003/april/49473.htm

At 8 pm last night, the Brabourne Stadium was in a blue mood, as hundreds of blue lights dazzled suddenly. Soon, Mick Jagger appeared in a blue jacket. Over the next few minutes, the mood changed to brown as the Rolling Stones rendered Brown Sugar.

For two hours, the Stones charmed the crowd. The majority was in their over 35s, but one spotted some younger people too.

It was only rock �n� roll, but we loved it. The 59-year-old Jagger was a treat to watch, as he ran across the stage with the energy of a 19-year-old.

Equally important, there was amazing accompaniment from guitarists Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood, drummer Charlie Watts, bassist Darryl Jones, keyboardist Chuck Leavell, and a host of horn players and back-up vocalists.

People started trickling in around 6 pm, and a lot of them were caught in a lengthy queue. Nearer the small gate that was meant for the Rs 2,000 and Rs 1,200 crowd, there was total chaos. Once people got in, there was a long wait till the actual show began.

To be sure, one felt that Jagger wasn�t really at his perfect best on the first couple of tracks. It�s Only Rock �n� Roll, it seemed, was doctored to cater to his age. But once he got the flow (ironically, with Start Me Up), he was as smooth as a river.

From typical Stones numbers like Don�t Stop and Tumbling Dice, to classics like Sympathy For The Devil and Honky Tonk Women, to slower masterpieces like Angie and You Can�t Always Get What You Want, he cast a spell on the crowd.

Richards too chipped in with a couple of vocal numbers. To our pleasant surprise, he rendered the magical Slippin� Away, which included a delightful riff, before pumping up the tempo on Happy.

The popular numbers were reserved for the end. Vocalist Lisa Fischer was astounding on Gimme Shelter. After the super-hits Street Fighting Man and (I Can�t Get No) Satisfaction, the Stones did an encore with Jumpin� Jack Flash.

For both the diehard Stones fan and the new listener, it was a treat. Though one missed tracks like 19th Nervous Breakdown, Wild Horses, Ruby Tuesday, Mother�s Little Helper, The Last Time, Time Waits For No-One and even the new Richards rendition Losing My Touch, the set-list was representative of all that the Stones stood for.

Throughout, Jagger showed how far ahead he is in terms of sheer showmanship and stage attitude.

Besides a regular change of shirts and vests, he regularly grabbed the crowd�s attention by saying things like �Kasa kaay Mumbai� and �For everyone in the expensive seats, we shall serve champagne soon�.

The concert also proved that as long as one has the will to play, age doesn�t matter.

Keep rolling, Stones. Your fans shall keep rocking with you.

Comments:

�Shock and awe� was invented by Mick Jagger, not President Bush. It was an electrifying experience.
Alyque Padamsee
Theatre personality

This was mega-ism in simplicity. I think all the Stones have been blessed with enormous talent. It was an outstanding performance.
Somesh Kumar
Singer

It was geriatric rock at its best; these guys are truly energetic.
Farhad Wadia
Music producer

Jagger was outstanding, no doubt. But what great musicians played with him. Richards, Wood and Watts were all amazing.
Vishal Dadlani
Pentagram vocalist
04-08-03 04:04 PM
Monkey Woman Close up:

'Licks' in India

Mick Jagger, lead vocalist of the Rolling Stones, performs during a concert at Brabourne stadium in Mumbai, on April 7, 2003. The British rock group is touring India as part of their 'Licks' world tour. The tour was advanced by almost a week due to an outbreak of the deadly Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).

Cricket fans!

Rolling Stones' lead singer Sir Michael Jagger presenting a cheque of Rs 25 lakh towards the Cricket Club of India's cricket academy to the CCI president Mr Raj Singh Dungarpur. Others in the picture are CCI's committee members and members of the rock group.

(Note Ronnie's kurta and Keith's electric blue jacket - smart attire! )
04-08-03 04:11 PM
moy great pix! thank you monkey woman
04-08-03 04:26 PM
gomper Is charlie in the last pic or is another member of the committee trying to fit in the pic?
04-08-03 04:29 PM
Monkey Woman Thanks to all! This Indian tour has provided us with great pics and stories.

BTW, yes, it's Charlie!
04-09-03 08:18 AM
Monkey Woman Once more to the breach!

Mick Jagger at the Rolling Stones concert at the Brabourne Stadium, Churchgate, yesterday.
Pic: Ashish Raje

http://www.mid-day.com/entertainment/music/2003/april/49539.htm

------------------------------------------------------------Rolling forward
By: Narendra Kusnur
April 9, 2003
--------------------

The verdict is out. The Rolling Stones gig at the Brabourne Stadium on Monday was a rocker�s delight. While the hardcore fans are still discussing each song and each musician�s style, the socialite army is busy chatting about who came and who wore what. Clearly, Jagger and his band-mates created a stunning impact on Mumbai.

The concert over, the industry is abuzz with another topic of discussion � has this show proved Mumbai�s ability to host world-class rock acts? The subject is of particular relevance following the decision to reduce the entertainment tax as announced in last month�s stage budget.

The buzz is that for the Stones show, the tax rates were slashed to 25 per cent from 49 per cent, and this is the rate that is expected to be officially announced for future shows.

Before this, high entertainment tax rates forced acts like Roger Waters, Elton John and Scorpions to skip Mumbai and go to Bangalore � though Mumbai did have a taste of Deep Purple and Brian Adams in the past couple of years.

�The reduction of entertainment tax is definitely a starter,� says T Venkat Vardhan of DNA Networks, which organised the Stones show. �Equally important, the show has had a fantastic response. The band was ecstatic with the Mumbai concert, and if word gets round in the UK, more musicians will be serious about coming to Mumbai and to India,� he adds.

Asked whether the organisers had sold as many tickets as they anticipated, Vardhan said: �We just about made it. There was a lot of last-minute buying, and in the end, we got in a crowd of 15,000.�

Brian Tellis, director of Fountainhead Promotions & Events, says a change in the tax structure will definitely change the whole economics of organising rock shows. �If the entertainment tax is reduced from 49 per cent to 25 per cent, it will make a huge difference.

There has also been talk that sponsorship tax will be abolished from its existing level of 50 per cent. That is sure to attract sponsors and make things healthier for live international acts,� he says.

Among the international acts slated to come this year is super-guitarist Joe Satriani. Though he was scheduled to perform in Bangalore and Mumbai next month, sources say the shows may be postponed to September, because of personal reasons.

Besides the event managers, even musicians are hopeful that the Stones show will mark a turning point for Mumbai�s international rock scene.

Says singer Gary Lawyer, �Mumbai has a huge market for international rock acts. Most people go there to hear the music, and not because they have nothing else to do. So the government should seriously think of taking steps to ensure that more acts come here.�

Musician Ehsaan Noorani says that Mumbai could always be used as a venue to host the likes of Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton. �After the Stones, we could get the others too.

The only hitch is that we need a better infrastructure. For instance, at the Stones concert, people had to wait in long queues before getting in. Such things could be avoided at international acts,� he says.

Those kind of hitches may take time to set in order. But at the moment, everybody�s hoping the Stones show will leave the Mumbai scene turned.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003