ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Fer
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: SACD Stones info. From Ian Return to archive
04-05-03 03:33 AM
ianbillen Woe, Just experienced the new SACD sound. For anyone who isn't sure about it it pretty much goes as follows.

SACD (Super-Audio Compact Disk) works using a new recording technique called DSD (direct stream digital). This samples the recorded sound that is to be transferred from it�s natural analog waveform to a recorded digital format 64 times that of a regular CD. So there is that much more room in the new format for the true sound per second of music. Also it eliminates a lot of filler samples that are used in standard PCM recording for the encoding scheme since now there is so much more room per second. This aspect of the DSD technique makes the music so clear and realistic. The result is pure sound with such realism and a wide sound stage. It really recaptures the original sound extraordinarily well. My friends who are not even close to being audio files are totally impressed. As my one buddy put it�.�it is a whole new Audio experience�. I run everything on two channel stereo.
-My Speakers are Dogg Digital Audio SL-1200's
-My SACD player is a Sony C222-ES
-My Receiver is a Sony STR-DE985
-The system is wired using Monster XP-CI speaker cable.
And I am most pleased with normal Cd's. But let me tell you SA-CD sound is a whole new audio. It brings the songs to life. I just played some of the Rolling Stones remastered CD's recorded over 30 years ago and it sounds more realistic than things done today. The highs are so high. You can hear every nuisance that took place in the studio recording room some thirty years age. You can actually hear Keith Richards touch the strings at times without really hitting any chords. It makes me not want to leave the house!
Anybody hear an SACD? (you need an SA-CD machine to play them) Trust me it is we'll worth it and most SA-CD's that come out are hybrid layerd meaning you can play them on a regular CD player...without the SA-CD format but still they will be there for when you upgrade. I bought Hot-Rocks and Let it Bleed. Love in Vain, Street Fighting Man, Midnight Rambler (Let it Bleed Version), and Honkey Tonk Women shine. Anyone had the oppurtunity to listen to the remasters on an SACD player as myself? If not check em out.
P.S. I have been a total Stones Fan since I was 8 (now I'm 32, seen em 10 seperate times since 1981) I have heard and owned every song they ever did as far as albums go. So of coarse I knew every song on both of these albums by heart. But I never heard the songs like this. It really .....somehow....I don't know how but it does, really captures the soul of the band on the SACD format like I haven't heard quite before on a recording.
The fuckin Stones rock. It's as simple as that.
Ian

04-05-03 10:02 PM
J.J.Flash Great review, but sadly, the 2002 ABKCO remastered version doesn't was released here in Brasil yet. The release date should be January/2003. So, where? Where can I find this fuckin' great stuff???
04-06-03 05:37 AM
Madafaka Thank you so much. I have some SACD stuff, but I haven't a SACD player yet!

J.J.Flash, try to buy Rolling Stones SACD on ebay.com

Cheers!
04-06-03 08:39 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
J.J.Flash, try to buy Rolling Stones SACD on ebay.com

Madafaka, I easily can find the new SACD in any shop, anywhere. I don't need to visit the ebay.com to find this.
The problem is that I don't wanna (till this moment) buy the imported version (US version). I was waiting to the national version, like almost all Rock'n'Roll titles that are released here.
But, maybe I'll buy the american SACD. In S�o Paulo (capital city from S�o Paulo state), there are giant music shops everywhere. We have 2 giant FNAC there.
04-06-03 02:36 PM
Madafaka
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

Madafaka, I easily can find the new SACD in any shop, anywhere. I don't need to visit the ebay.com to find this.
The problem is that I don't wanna (till this moment) buy the imported version (US version). I was waiting to the national version, like almost all Rock'n'Roll titles that are released here.
But, maybe I'll buy the american SACD. In S�o Paulo (capital city from S�o Paulo state), there are giant music shops everywhere. We have 2 giant FNAC there.

FNAC are there? Wow! That's a big music shop! Anyway, I prefer US versions that national.
By the way, on ebay.com you can buy it cheaper.
Take care!
04-06-03 10:31 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Madafaka wrote:

By the way, on ebay.com you can buy it cheaper.
Take care!

Madafaka, can you send more hints about it by e-mail? If you can do this, please, do. Thanks in advance!
Cheers! Beba uma Brahma por mim.
04-07-03 12:08 AM
Madafaka Email sent!
04-07-03 02:27 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat There are clearly some experts here, so:

I don't have a SACD player yet. Is it possible to get one (duh) and connect it to my current amp, or will I need an entire new set?
04-07-03 04:19 AM
ianbillen
quote:
Strange_Stray_Cat wrote:
There are clearly some experts here, so:

I don't have a SACD player yet. Is it possible to get one (duh) and connect it to my current amp, or will I need an entire new set?

To answer your question Stray Cat..... if your serious.
Yes, you can hook an SACD up to any speakers but your AMP/Reciever should be SACD compatable.
Speakers will play whatever sound is given to them. The improvment in sound comes from an SACD player and a SACD compatable reciever.
Ian
04-07-03 05:06 AM
swapwoodfortaylor Great review Ian. Where you refer to the amp being SACD compatible....do you mean 'has a digital input'.......or is there some recent 'SACD' inspired improvements to amps?
04-08-03 02:45 AM
ianbillen
quote:
swapwoodfortaylor wrote:
Great review Ian. Where you refer to the amp being SACD compatible....do you mean 'has a digital input'.......or is there some recent 'SACD' inspired improvements to amps?

Thank you SwapwoodforTaylor,
To try and answer your question I got to say YES, To take advantage of an SACD player you need a SACD compatable Reciever. And Receivers are SACD compatable now a days. Don't buy one unless it is. Make sure it has built in 6.1 surround sound. SACD will still sound better than before on a regular reciever but not as good as it could. You can get a decent one for $300.00. I got the whole ensomble....Peice by Peice LOL! I realize it was alot of money to shell out so I first got the speakers, Then a while later I got the Reciever. Then a while later I finally got the SACD player. Take your time if you have to.
It is worth the wait. My friend who is a total skeptic and always has the attitude like "Big Deal" (We even make fun of him for saying it so much)could not deny the SACD sound or emotion it brings. Instead of saying "Big Deal" this time he actually was saying "That's amazing" when I had it cranked up. Then he said "It sounds great" "I gotta admit there is a total difference".
Try it, You'll Thank me in the long run.
Ian
04-08-03 07:17 AM
egon this sacd thing reminds me of the early days of the cd, when everyone was talking about aad, add &ddd.

people were onyl buying cd's if they were ddd.
("can you hear it, can you hear it!!!!!?????? NO STATIC!!!")

seems to me this sacd is more something for audio-freaks than the common folk.

just a nice little trick of sony & phillips to get us ignorant consumers to buy a new player.

then again, what do i know...
[Edited by egon]
04-08-03 03:43 PM
ianbillen
quote:
egon wrote:
this sacd thing reminds me of the early days of the cd, when everyone was talking about aad, add &ddd.

people were onyl buying cd's if they were ddd.
("can you hear it, can you hear it!!!!!?????? NO STATIC!!!")

seems to me this sacd is more something for audio-freaks than the common folk.

just a nice little trick of sony & phillips to get us ignorant consumers to buy a new player.

then again, what do i know...

We'll right now it is just for the Audio person. HOWEVER,
and this is an extreme however, it is certainly no little trick. It took alot of time, trial and error, not to mention brainwork to come up with a completely new way of encoding and unencoding an analog wave-form.
I shouldn't have said it was a difference. It is a different presentation of the audio all together if it is done correctly. IT is as real as you can imagine. Also there is a full sound stage. Both ears seem full of music.
Three of my friends have heard it (I did it the right way)
and all three could distinctively tell the difference when I played regular CD's after playing an SACD even when I didn't tell them. It is not total night in day. But it change the presentation of the song by a good 20%. And thats no exaggeration.
Ian
Ian

[Edited by egon]

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003