ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Fer
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Review and Ordering info for Martin Elliott's "Complete Recording Sessions" Return to archive
04-04-03 04:56 PM
Gazza With all the tabloid-style rubbish thats written on the Stones, from a fan's point of view , its refreshing to read a book that concentrates solely on the music.

Elliott's work is a real labour of love and two of the most refreshing things that can be said about it is that it not only takes you back to the music that you already know but it also encourages you to seek out the music that you're not familiar with already. Not only does it list recording information for every commercially released studio and live Rolling Stones recording which has appeared on record, video or DVD but it also provides a fascinating glimpse into 4 four decades of recording by looking at the numerous unreleased recordings which have (or in some cases which haven't!) surfaced on bootlegs. However,it's not simply a trainspotter's guide to the band's work as the text that accompanies the data puts the music in it's historical and biographical context.

This work is twice the size of Elliott's original book on the band's recording sessions and shows a vast improvement on the original in terms of the quality and accuracy of the research done. The Stones have never made available a day by day account of their studio work so dating some of it in exact detail is an elusive task and means that any account of the Stones session work can't be described as "definitive". However, with exhaustive research and by drawing on the work of other Stones historians and experts, Elliott has produced a tome is as excellent as it could possibly be from the information available.

Gazza

"The Rolling Stones - Complete Recording Sessions 1962-2002" by Martin Elliott can be ordered through amazon.co.uk for �10.49

Cherry Red books (ISBN : 1901447709)

For further info on this book:
http://www.cherryred.co.uk/books/stonesessions.htm

04-04-03 06:47 PM
BillyBoll I picked this up the other week and its certainly helped me with establishing what outtake comes from where.

As Gazza says, with no true historical record of the stones sessions it draws conclusions and sets the scene in establising who could, and probably was, playing on a lot of tracks that havent been officialy released but, in many cases, should have been!

If you see it and have the cash, get hold of it. I'm sure greater authorities than I will have questions/disagreemnets with it, but it seems to be a brave attempt using his, amd others, knowledge to provide a reference for all of those obscure tracks/songs/demos on all those bootlegs.
04-05-03 08:16 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Great review Gazza, can't resist to order now!
04-05-03 04:01 PM
Stonesdoug Martin's book is a must have!!!!
04-05-03 04:40 PM
Gazza you WOULD say that, Doug - youre all over it...lol ;-)
04-06-03 09:19 AM
gotdablouse So how much improvement is there over the one that was published in 1990?

Is it still strictly based on what's available on bootleg and rumoured material like Old Glory or Toss the Coin from '69 or has he had access to unbooted material like the '89 Steel Wheels or '97 B2B sessions?
04-06-03 03:07 PM
Gazza its written from a fan and collector's perspective - not that of a band insider - so he's drawn the info from the recordings that are in circulation. Where songs arent in circulation, he's mentioned this.

the main difference is the fact that the standard of sourcing the songs is vastly improved. The original book had a lot of factual errors which - to me as a collector and a fanatic for accuracy of data - were often irritating as the information WAS there if one looked hard enough - particularly when it came to sourcing the recordings for the live albums. Instead of simply taking misleading info on album covers at face value,he's used the resources available from acknowledged historians of the band and drawn on it. Until the Stones open up their recording information to those of us who want to put their recording history into some kind of document, theres no definitive day by day guide available to the band's history and a lot of information we have is often educated guesswork. However,this is a fine effort at documenting the band's recorded history with the information that's avaialable. In short,its a FAR better book than the original 1990 version and I'd recommend it.
04-06-03 06:14 PM
gotdablouse Thanks for clarifying.

I don't think I'll learn anything then, but it could still be useful for reference, when memory doesn't serve anymore ;-)

My site was set up with that objective 4 years ago http://juiced.hypermart.net/Trax.htm but the dearth of new stuff has eroded my interest. Tough to think that the only realy new uncovered material to surface since the fabulous '93-'96 period that gave us the 1977/79 sessions (probably stolen after the EMI studios in Boulogne were pulled down in the early 90s') and the VL sessions, has been the "reggae" version of SMU...

The only book that had access to insider information was Karnbach's in late '97, but the least you can say is that it was a...missed opportunity. Bad writing, sloppy editing and he probably had his "hands tied"...
04-09-03 12:04 PM
Lazy Bones I pre-ordered a copy through Amazon.ca (Canadian). Although it's much cheaper (for me) to order via this route, the release date is 1 May 2003. With s/h (express) and taxes, the total is $39.13 (Cdn).
04-10-03 10:24 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
I pre-ordered a copy through Amazon.ca (Canadian). Although it's much cheaper (for me) to order via this route, the release date is 1 May 2003. With s/h (express) and taxes, the total is $39.13 (Cdn). Here's an up close look at the cover.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003