ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Thanks Throbby
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylan Off Return to archive
04-06-04 03:35 PM
GimmeExile So, is this the new fan site for Bob Dylan?
04-06-04 03:40 PM
Factory Girl Dylan is on tour. The Stones are not.

Lets nickname the board "Zimmie-land".
04-06-04 08:35 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox Dylan fever is in high gear right now. i suggest that anyone who hasnt seen him in awhile should go catch a show.
04-06-04 08:52 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
HardKnoxDurtySox wrote:
Dylan fever is in high gear right now. i suggest that anyone who hasnt seen him in awhile should go catch a show.

or at least listen to a recording of a show, esp. if he is not playing in a town near you
04-06-04 09:07 PM
Steel Wheels A friend of mine who loves Dylan said the show he saw was terrible. Dylan didn't play guitar and sang half-heartedly.

He did say that the backup band was great and carried Bob through the two hour set.
04-06-04 09:23 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
A friend of mine who loves Dylan said the show he saw was terrible. Dylan didn't play guitar and sang half-heartedly.

He did say that the backup band was great and carried Bob through the two hour set.

To each their own, of course. I find it hard to believe, however, that someone who "loves Dylan" experiences a bad show from his current tour. Which show did he see, do you know?

Now I've only seen 3 shows out of the 25 this tour (the 26th is tonight in Norfolk, Virginia) but even with all the reviews I've read, very rarely has a bad review been written.

That's too bad. Really. Personally, I can't comprehend a "terrible" Dylan show...never been to one.
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
04-07-04 12:31 AM
Sir Stonesalot Oh, I have!

In fact, it was my very first Dylan show. Put me off Bob for years. Harrisburg PA, City Island...1989 I think. GE Smith was the band leader. Played everything at a breakneck speed. Couldn't understand a damn thing Dylan was croakin'. By the time Dylan was through song 5 or 6, 3/4 of the crowd had left. Complete crap.

Steve Earle opened the show. Blew Bob's doors off. Made me a fan.

Found the setlist at Boblinks....

Skyline Sports Complex
City Island
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
11 July 1989

1. Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)
2. Forever Young
3. All Along The Watchtower
4. Gotta Serve Somebody
5. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
6. Ballad Of A Thin Man
7. Love Minus Zero/No Limit
8. Boots Of Spanish Leather
9. Mr. Tambourine Man
10. Silvio (Bob Dylan & Robert Hunter)
11. I Shall Be Released
12. Like A Rolling Stone
13. The Times They Are A-Changin'
14. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
15. Maggie's Farm

Hard to imagine a setlist like that one sucking hard....but it did. I didn't even recognize Mr. Tambourine Man for like...3 verses. I'll bet the entire show didn't even last for 90 minutes.

[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
04-07-04 01:24 AM
kahoosier Hey Sir Stonesalot, I had a very similiar exeprience the same tour! My brother-in-law and I drove about 1 and half hours to catch Dylan near Indianapolis. Having seen him just a few years before with Petty, I was geared. We both thought that the band would be great with GE heading it.

We were disappointed. To this day, I have no idea what the opening number was , or was supposed to be. In fact , it was song three before we began to recognize what the numbers were, and how bad they were being butchered. Bob was all in black leather and to my memory, never spoke once to the audience. And the show was just around 90 minutes People all around us were unhappy also. I have to say it was the worst BIG NAME experience I may have ever had with the possible exception Of Cleveland '78 with the Stones...oh hell, at least there we could recognize the songs!
[Edited by kahoosier]
04-07-04 01:41 AM
T&A 89-91 was one of the weaker Dylan live periods. Not surprising you were disappointed.

However, since around '95 - it has a been a rare show that Dylan didn't satisfy. I have probably 500 shows from 95-on and there aren't dogs in the bunch...
04-07-04 02:37 AM
UGot2Rollme I've been to 3 Dylan shows and he never dissapointed, though I don't go out of my way to see him. Last time I caught him with Paul Simon, and they did a very beautiful duet on Sound of Silence. Best Dylan show I saw was on the Infidels tour with Mick Taylor on guitar...
04-07-04 03:43 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
kahoosier wrote:
To this day, I have no idea what the opening number was , or was supposed to be. In fact , it was song three before we began to recognize what the numbers were, and how bad they were being butchered.

this was during the phase when bob was really "experimenting" with his tunes in terms of melody and tune (or lack thereof)wasn't it??

i recall reading an i/view with bob about this time - he said he was singing one night when he pulled off some vocal "trick" or mannerism which really impressed him and from then on he began to sing all his songs in this way i.e. the original melody was lost all together

i appreciate what i'm saying here isn't very clear - maybe gazza, nasty or FPM know something more about this

fortunately he seems to have given up on this approach
04-07-04 05:04 AM
MRD8 I just got in a great bootleg DVD of his March 19th show in Toronto...he and the band were hitting on ALL cylinders at that show! I saw him in Tampa in '89 with GE Smith and that band...it was THE worst Dylan show I've ever seen ! He opened with a rockabilly version of Subterrainian Homesick Blues(sp?) that was unrecognizeable till the chorus...never once said a word to the audience and left for good after an hour and ten minutes...in '95 when he started playing with younger musicians his career was really given a new lease on life!
04-07-04 07:24 AM
Factory Girl Hey Lazy, are you coming to Sweet VA? That is way cool. Wish you were a wee bit closer to my neck of the woods. Would love to say "hello" to you.

I saw Dylan in 2001, but I really can't remember too much of the show.
04-07-04 10:50 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Hey Lazy, are you coming to Sweet VA? That is way cool. Wish you were a wee bit closer to my neck of the woods. Would love to say "hello" to you.

I saw Dylan in 2001, but I really can't remember too much of the show.

No, I'm not. I'd love to make a concert trip south for a show(s). I haven't since Oct 2002 - Stones in Detroit.

A "hello" would indeed be nice. A drink or two would certainly be in order, too!