ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Thanks Throbby
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 'Sympathy for the Devil' on DVD: who has it? Return to archive
04-03-04 05:35 PM
crayzmama Well, probably all of you LOL.
but I'm going to buy it this week and could ja tell me what it's like?
Mostly behind-the-sceanes kinda stuff I'd suppose.
How are the extras?
and perhaps most importantly: how sexy is Mick in it?
haha, alright Just kidding.

I'm new by the way and probably younger than you all!
But the Stones have been the band for me sine I was a baby!

Muwha!
04-04-04 03:26 AM
rocky hi ! its' a great movie to see stones working with "sympathy for the devil",but it's only 50 min stones,rest is "black panther" member reading poem,you should see the movie,so the best way to see this movie is cut away the non stones parts, rocky
04-04-04 04:09 AM
crayzmama Cool, OK thank you for replying.
04-04-04 07:32 AM
headshrinker what is this movie about i've never heard of it
04-04-04 09:25 AM
GerryS Is this the "sanitized" version as seen on the video? There were all kinds of Brian Jones clips removed from that version. I saw the original at Hunter College in 69 and it elicited (sp?) quite a response from the audience as to the way Jones was being treated. One scene cut in video is of him sitting in foreground hunched over his guitar crying softly while other 4 are way in background sitting in a little circle laughing amongst themselves. Is this in the dvd? I'd plunk down the money for the original but not the sanitized version. (Only other person I know who saw the original is Keno and he remembersw some of the same missing scenes I do). I kind of doubt it's the original because I've been told a few times over the years of "art type" movie theatres showing it, (usually on West Coast) and being ordered to cease and desist by Klein's office.
Thank you.
04-04-04 10:40 AM
rocky hi again, when i saw the movie for the first time around 1970 (i think ?) i was shocked !!!!!,i couldn't hear anything of brian's guitar,second.keith took bill's bass playing, rocky
04-04-04 11:47 AM
egon still haven't bought it.
they only seem to sell the 'import' version in france,
and import always means expensive.
04-04-04 11:09 PM
jpenn11 I believe the Sympathy for the Devil version is the "sanitized" version. Additional parts are said to occasionally play in US art-house movie theatres, but I've never seen them.

Yes, it is often tough to hear Brian's acoustic playing, if it's there at all.

I played the DVD once although I suspect it's useful to have around to settle arguments. (For example, was John Foster Dulles ever mentioned in pulp fiction? What would KR sound like if he tried to play like Clapton?) Unfortunately, the movie does not answer why KR plays bass.
04-05-04 12:40 AM
exilestones@netscape Best Buy has it.
04-05-04 12:53 AM
M.O.W.A.T. I have the DVD and again, I have to say the only thing good about it is the Stones in the studio. As for why you don't hear (or barely hear) Brian's playing, is that I have read that by this time, the band never hooked up his guitars (or at the least, mic'ed them) in the studio -- Mick and Keith have often said that by 1968, Brian contributed very little to Stones recording sessions and could not be counted upon to play basic guitar on any tracks.

As for Keith playing bass, the only thing I can think of is that when he is shown playing bass, it is in an early take of SFTD -- Mick is playing acoustic while Charlie and Bill provide drums and percussion respectively. It is just beginning to take shape and is no where near its final version.

04-05-04 11:20 AM
lucasd4 [quote]M.O.W.A.T. wrote:

As for Keith playing bass, the only thing I can think of is that when he is shown playing bass, it is in an early take of SFTD -- Mick is playing acoustic while Charlie and Bill provide drums and percussion respectively. It is just beginning to take shape and is no where near its final version.

Keith plays bass on the officially released version too.
04-06-04 02:48 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
GerryS wrote:
Is this the "sanitized" version as seen on the video?
Thank you.

Hi Gerry!

I have this movie in two formats BETA (80's) and Laser Disc (90's) (thanks Gomper-miso), and I don't see any difference but the resolution. Do you have that original version? You know how I will love to have it regardless of the audio/video quailty... specially if it has more Brian
04-06-04 02:27 PM
GerryS No Gerardo, I don't have the original version. Have been looking for it for alot of years. It's gotta be out there somewhere! As I said, I saw the original at Hunter College in NYC when it first came out..(still have the original ticket stub too!)It caused quite a stir with the audience because it was so painfully evident that Brian was being ostracized (he had died only months before we saw it)and everyone's heart went out to him. We all discussed those things during the parts nobody understood, then focused attention back when the film shifted back to the Stones!
When I bought the video version of SFTD, I thought I was buying the complete film or I'd never have given ABKCO a dime! I was thoroughly disgusted that so much of Brian was cut out but I guess in the long run, I shouldn't have been surprised.
If I ever do find the original, i'll let you know!
04-08-04 12:53 PM
rocky the music in the movie is......

1 sftd :restarted,acustic,
2 sftd :drums,guitar piano only,
3 sftd :with guitar intro,
4 sftd :tuning of instruments,
5 sftd :with drums intro,introduced as take # 4.
mick snaps at charlie,
6 sftd:drums only,
7 sftd:drums & percussion only,
8 sftd:drums only.
9 sftd:with drums intro,(very audible organ),
10 sftd:drums only,
11 sftd:with drums intro,mick ends with "ah shit"
12 sftd:with drums intro,
13 sftd:without intro,
14 sftd:tuning of instruments,
15 sftd:with guitar intro,part,
16 sftd:first fast take,part