ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

WE MOVED!!!
Click HERE or the image to go to our new home
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith Richards Used a Toy Nurse Kit To Shoot Up (The Esquire Magazine Interview scanned in full) Return to archive
8th April 2008 05:54 AM
FotiniD Keith Richards used to buy syringes to inject heroin from a toy shop.

The Rolling Stones legend - who recently revealed he still smokes marijuana "all the time" - found it difficult to transport his syringe kit to the US, so relied on the children's nurses kit from New York's FAO Schwarz.

He said: "Back then you had to put all the bits together. I was staying in the Plaza once in New York - I would fly with a needle and just put it in my hat to fix the feather. I wasn't going to fly with syringes. So the minute I got the s**t, well, now I need the syringe, right?

"My trick was, I'd order up a cup of coffee because I need a spoon, right? FAO Schwarz was right across the street. And then, if you went to the third floor, you could buy this children's doctors and nurses set that had the barrel and the syringe that fitted onto the needle that I'd bought."

Keith, 64, said he stopped snorting cocaine after falling out of a tree in Fiji in 2006 and sustaining a serious head injury.

He added to Britain's Esquire magazine: "I've definitely found myself sleeping better since the bang on the head. I had to give up the cocaine. How do you think you stay up for so many days? By the time the accident happened, it was really just once after meals anyway. Thank God I've got a reason to give it up!"
8th April 2008 07:35 AM
Gazza I bought the issue of 'Esquire' that contains this interview earlier today.

Has anyone seen it yet - has the text of the interview been posted elsewhere here yet? (Hard to keep track as so many of these online articles copy and paste each other)

If it hasnt, I'll try and scan it later. Its a nice interview and the front cover pic of Keith is really good (although he looks older and more haggard than he has done at the recent premieres). The interviewer is James Fox, who is the journalist who'll be helping him with his autobiography.
8th April 2008 08:32 AM
Mel Belli "I had to give up the cocaine. How do you think you stay up for so many days? By the time the accident happened, it was really just once after meals anyway."

Just once after meals ... Unbelievable.

An addict to the end. Kind of renders Jane Rose's "You're gonna give up music, or you're gonna give up drugs" line in "25x5" a bit laughable, doesn't it?
[Edited by Mel Belli]
8th April 2008 08:50 AM
FotiniD The Eqsuire site still has the George Clooney issue, so yes, a scan would be appreciated Gazza

quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

An addict to the end. Kind of renders Jane Rose's "You're gonna give up music, or you're gonna give up drugs" line in "25x5" a bit laughable, doesn't it?

Or his strong belief that coke was just a nasty habit and he only ever had problems with addictions
8th April 2008 09:58 AM
Steel Wheels I thought he was clean for the last 20 years or so since watching 25x5. Oh well. What a fool he was for using so long.
8th April 2008 10:10 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I bought the issue of 'Esquire' that contains this interview earlier today.

Has anyone seen it yet - has the text of the interview been posted elsewhere here yet? (Hard to keep track as so many of these online articles copy and paste each other)

If it hasnt, I'll try and scan it later. Its a nice interview and the front cover pic of Keith is really good (although he looks older and more haggard than he has done at the recent premieres). The interviewer is James Fox, who is the journalist who'll be helping him with his autobiography.

not that i'm aware of, i had a flick through it earlier - looks like a good interview
8th April 2008 10:21 AM
chevysales
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
I thought he was clean for the last 20 years or so since watching 25x5. Oh well. What a fool he was for using so long.

very very few make it out... recidivism rate is over 90% for opiates.

the best of intentions are "shattered" at times.

secondly long term regular use of opiates causes your body to stop producing the chemical that makes us happy/content... for some it can take a a year or more (and sometimes it never comes back so you can see why the recidivism rate is so high... many just can't deal with feeling like shit mentally and physically for such a period for such long periods unless they are loccked up in jail somewhere and even then??) for our body to reproduce these on it's own. for others it never happens and the only thing that does it is opiates (synthetic or otherwise). when i speak of long term i am not talking about the 23 year old kid who shot dope for 3-5 years.

there is a place in new jersey where they are doing great work on a treatment to jumpstart the body in to re producing endo's on it's own.

also see dr tom costen's work at baylor who while woking on a cocaine vaccine that works... he cut his teeth with dr reardon at yale in the 70's and early 80's.

so when keith or any long time user speaks you most sort the intentions from the reality.

and btw a great percetage of that 10% or so that do make it out do so with a 12 step program.

and back to OP's kids kit.... yea probably true.
[Edited by chevysales]
8th April 2008 01:42 PM
Sioux
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I bought the issue of 'Esquire' that contains this interview earlier today.

Gazza, is that the same James Fox who was in Performance? Ot is it another one?

8th April 2008 02:50 PM
Gazza Different one. This one's a journalist, not an actor.
8th April 2008 03:14 PM
Gazza

That's the lot. Type font is a bit small, but thats as good as I could do.

[Edited by Gazza]
8th April 2008 03:26 PM
FotiniD
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Oooh baby!!! I got to get me this mag! Serious badass cover!
8th April 2008 04:02 PM
pdog He's always just given up ______. I can only imagine what his Oxycotin use is...
Keith RxIchards!
8th April 2008 04:41 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
"I had to give up the cocaine. How do you think you stay up for so many days? By the time the accident happened, it was really just once after meals anyway."

It aids the digestive process don't you know?
8th April 2008 05:06 PM
Gazza the whole interview is now uploaded. Hope it's reasonably legible.

There's also a limited edition cover which doesnt have any of the type on the front page - just a great pic of Keith.
Its reprinted in the magazine but its very small, so the resolution isnt as good on the copy thats scanned.

8th April 2008 06:57 PM
PartyDoll MEG What a fun read!

Thanks for taking the time to scan it for us, Gazza!!
8th April 2008 07:43 PM
Sioux
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Different one. This one's a journalist, not an actor.

Ok, thanks...I felt it had to be another one, but I didn't know if the Performance James Fox had gone on to do different things besides act. I know he had a spiritual awakening way back when.
8th April 2008 07:45 PM
Sioux
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
What a fun read!

Thanks for taking the time to scan it for us, Gazza!!

I second that! Many thanks, Gazza...
8th April 2008 07:59 PM
the good Anyone else worry about Keith's public statements regarding his current drug use? I can see some prick looking to make a name for himself.
8th April 2008 07:59 PM
Riffhard I gotta get that coloring book!

Great read. Thanks Gazza!

Riffy
9th April 2008 02:02 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Thanks Gazza! I like the way he's dotting that "i"!
The barcode is pretty cool too.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
10th April 2008 01:42 PM
Sister Morphine Wow, what a fantastic read! I enjoyed it so much!

The first time I ever heard that Keith seemingly married into a quite religious family and had to sort it out with Patti's brothers.

And it's also the first time I see that photo of Patti and Keith in 2002. It's absolutely LOOOVELYYY!! Soo soo sweet!

Thanks a lot for posting this! I have to pick up that magazine in the next days! I need it! *lol*

Charli

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)