ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

WE MOVED!!!
Click HERE or the image to go to our new home
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Shine A Light - A Real Let Down Return to archive
8th April 2008 04:58 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Hi Guys

I have been looking forward to the movie for ages now. I promised myself that I would see the film before before I bought the album. But yesterday my girlfriend picked the album up for me as a gift.

I tried to avoid temptation and not listen to the album, but when I came back from the gym, Annie (my girlfriend) was blaring the album loud!

Thats when I thought, fuck it, give it a listen.

I have to say that on the whole, it was quite dissapointing. Jumping Jack flash was very good and very rocking, but I cant remember the last time a Live Stones album didnt start with a great rocking track.

I was really looking forward to She Was Hot. I had heard some bootlegged versions from the Bigger Bang tour and they were smoking. But I was dissapointed. Micks vocals were very poor. His voice sounded weak and lifeless. Keith's guitars were out of time, off beat and at times out of tune. As always, Charlie and Darryl were bang on, but on the whole I thought it was a let down.

Loving Cup was good to hear and although Jaggers vocals were scratchy again, it was great to hear the song live, as with As Tears Go By.

One of my favourite live Stones tracks has always been Just My Imagination. I was REALLY looking forward to this. But as with She Was Hot, I thought Jagger let himself down. Scratchy and powerless. Same again on Some Girls, although as I have said before, it was good to hear something new on a live album.

Maybe I was setting myself up for a huge fall by expecting a great live performance captured on an album. I had read tons of reviews which said that Shine A Light (Live at the Beacon Theatre) was a truly great performance. One of those reviews was by Martin Scorcese himself. But I was really not impressed.

I think that Jagger was well below his best, Keith's guitars sounded nothing short of awful at times, particuarly his solos. Ronnie was Ronnie, there, in the background most of the time, but marvelous in short bursts. Charlie and Darryl, faultless as always.

A great album, no. A great occasion, maybe. A great performance, no chance.

The Greatest Rock and Roll band in the world....still....you bet your fucking life!
8th April 2008 05:29 AM
Jumacfly post your review here dear VS

http://novogate.com/board/968/241929-1.html

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)