ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

WE MOVED!!!
Click HERE or the image to go to our new home
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones reject call from EMI for contract talks (Sunday Times) Return to archive
6th April 2008 01:37 PM
Gazza April 6, 2008

Rolling Stones spurn plea by Guy Hands

Dominic Rushe

THE ROLLING STONES have rejected a call from EMI to extend talks with the music publisher. The Stones are deciding whether to switch labels, taking their back catalogue with them and ending a 31-year relationship. (*)

Music industry sources say EMI’s private-equity owner Guy Hands had asked The Stones to give him more time to finalise a new offer to the band, whose contract expires on May 31.

The Stones are being courted by EMI’s big rivals Sony, Universal and Warner as well as Live Nation, a US concert promoter that is finalising a $150m (£75m) contract with hip-hop mogul Jay-Z, lured away from Universal’s Def Jam label. Last October Live Nation poached Madonna from Warner.

The Stones have already expressed their dissatisfaction with EMI since Hands’s Terra Firma took over the company. The band chose to issue their latest release, Shine A Light, via Universal. Shine A Light , which accompanies a Martin Scorsese film about the band, will be released tomorrow in Britain.

The Stones make most of their money from touring and have a long relationship with Live Nation. Receipts from The Stones’s tour promoting their last album, A Bigger Bang, topped $500m, according to Billboard, the industry trade journal, a record sum that dwarfed returns from the album’s sales.

Executives close to the talks said The Stones may eventually cut two deals, one for tours and one for music - as Irish band U2 has recently done with Live Nation and their label Universal.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article3681420.ece

(*) - This bit is bollocks. Theyve obviously forgot that the Stones were with Sony for almost a decade

Related Link (The Times, 12th March)

Live Nation in running for the Rolling Stones archives

And a couple of Stones-related links to the related Jay-Z/Live Nation story :

Jay-Z in $150m deal to make him the 'Rolling Stones of hip-hop'
(The Times 4/4/08)

Hip-hop star Jay-Z ’s $150m deal puts music industry in spin (Sunday Times 6/4/08)

[Edited by Gazza]
6th April 2008 01:43 PM
Riffhard The talk with Live Nation is the one that interests me. This can only mean a big tour. Or perhaps a series of smaller arena dates. Either way Live Nation would not be involved if a new tour were not in the works. Having the Stones on your lable is still huge for the cache value alone.

Riffy
6th April 2008 01:50 PM
Gazza
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
The talk with Live Nation is the one that interests me. This can only mean a big tour. Or perhaps a series of smaller arena dates. Either way Live Nation would not be involved if a new tour were not in the works. Having the Stones on your lable is still huge for the cache value alone.

Riffy

Yep..exactly what I've been saying too. Live Nation wouldnt be involved without a tour being in the pipeline - and the financial appeal of the band's back catalogue (although I like the way the word 'archives' has been used here too....)
[Edited by Gazza]
6th April 2008 01:58 PM
Riffhard Does Live Nation do promotion work outside the USA? I heard from a little bird that there was talk of a US tour around fall into spring. Could just be a vicious rumor, but this person apparently has a certain amount of clout within the Stones' circle. Of course, anything could happen between now and then, but Live Nation would not be involved were a tour not in the negotiating stages at least. This could also helps explain the labels lining up for the Stones. The back catalogue notwithstanding. Perhaps Keith was droping hints about the new record after the promo tour of SAL.

Riffy
6th April 2008 02:01 PM
mrhipfl maybe that's why there's so much press for SAL. They wanna start a buzz. I would shit bricks if they release a new record within the next year.
[Edited by mrhipfl]
6th April 2008 02:05 PM
Gazza
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Does Live Nation do promotion work outside the USA? I heard from a little bird that there was talk of a US tour around fall into spring. Could just be a vicious rumor, but this person apparently has a certain amount of clout within the Stones' circle. Of course, anything could happen between now and then, but Live Nation would not be involved were a tour not in the negotiating stages at least. This could also helps explain the labels lining up for the Stones. The back catalogue notwithstanding. Perhaps Keith was droping hints about the new record after the promo tour of SAL.

Riffy

Yes, whilst theyre based in California, their tentacles (like Clear Channel) do certainly spread worldwide!

See here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Nation

6th April 2008 02:13 PM
Riffhard
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
maybe that's why there's so much press for SAL. They wanna start a buzz. I would shit bricks if they release a new record within the next year.
[Edited by mrhipfl]

Even the Stones themselves have been dropping the occasional hint that they are coming to the end of their touring carreer. Keith has even made these rather ominous comments. Though he has also made some recent comments about the possibility of a new album. I think that the Stones will play as long as they are able. However, I think that all the latest signs point to at least one more studio album followed by one more big world tour. After that I would reckon we'll get the occassional one off here and there or they may take up residency for a series of shows ala Clapton at the RAH. I could see them playing for ten to twelve nights at MSG for example.

Riffy
6th April 2008 02:35 PM
gimmekeef This is great news even just to keep hopes for another tour alive.Keith is the key though.Can he stay healthy enough and not deteriate any further riff wise?.Ronnie's gonna be busy and Mick well no worries there or Charlie either playing wise.Ya gotta think Live Nation has this in the bag though.
[Edited by gimmekeef]
6th April 2008 03:17 PM
Gazza
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Even the Stones themselves have been dropping the occasional hint that they are coming to the end of their touring carreer. Keith has even made these rather ominous comments. Though he has also made some recent comments about the possibility of a new album. I think that the Stones will play as long as they are able. However, I think that all the latest signs point to at least one more studio album followed by one more big world tour. After that I would reckon we'll get the occassional one off here and there or they may take up residency for a series of shows ala Clapton at the RAH. I could see them playing for ten to twelve nights at MSG for example.

Riffy

Not at $500+ a ticket they wont. Thats in the region of 180-200,000 seats

The RAH only holds about 5,000. Pretty hard to do lengthy residencies in arenas unless they're affordable
6th April 2008 03:21 PM
SweetVirginia Radio City Music Hall would be comparable to RAH.

And wouldn't THAT be nice??
6th April 2008 03:30 PM
Gazza Now you're talking....

"It's Only Rockettes 'n' Roll"
[Edited by Gazza]
6th April 2008 03:34 PM
LadyJane My heart needs to see them again.
Especially after SAL.

I know the clock is ticking and I can't type it without tearing up.

We need one more giant gathering in NYC.

Word.

LJ.
6th April 2008 04:01 PM
Mel Belli The majors must be both salivating and fuming at the Live Nation deals. Salivating, because they're getting a piece of both album and touring revenue, which the labels would love to be able to have; fuming, because Live Nation is evidently such a crappy, chronically bankrupt company. (According to the Lefsetz Letter, Madonna tried to persuade Steve Jobs to buy Live Nation after the company's stock went south.)
[Edited by Mel Belli]
6th April 2008 08:07 PM
Dan
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
My heart needs to see them again.
Especially after SAL.

Funny thing is seeing SAL on the IMax screen, my feelings are just the opposite. For me, it was so overwhelming that I don't think I would want to pay more than the cost of a movie ticket to watch them on a big screen, only from further away.

But when BV said the Asian dates were now penciled in for next year that made me think they were going to attempt a world tour on a similiar scale as the last one.
6th April 2008 10:25 PM
IanBillen

Come on guys,

When is everyone finally going to realize this.

Yes. They WILL record another studio album. Fuck, all the signs are there and as well they are hinting towards this.

Yes. They will tour again. Probably another major one too.

They still have at least one more biggy left in the bag. This is pretty evident at this point.

So many over the years always say the same thing. "yeah, this is most probably their final one"(referring to their current tour), or "nah, they won't record another studio album".

I seriously do not know why anyone would think this???

Every in between tour the Rocks Off crew goes into this phase and it puzzles me because their is absolutely no evidence in supporting this.

Like I said, it is just Rolling Stones business as usual.

At least for one more.

Ian
7th April 2008 02:47 AM
FotiniD Here's an original thought: it seems to me we're pondering they have at least one more tour left and then they might wrap it up EVERY SINGLE TIME these guys are on a tour break

And yes, we do bring the argument of "hey, but this time they're older / not healthy enough".

Quite honestly, I can only think of one factor that can stop them at this point of time, and thankfully that factor is not around.

So keep your chins up
7th April 2008 03:43 AM
marko They still got one big tour left,i think their biggest
problem is NOT to stop,they don´t know how to "end" this.
Thats why every tour since 1994 has been the last one.
Another problem is,,,,too much spoken keiths playing capabilities...
7th April 2008 05:28 AM
FotiniD And on our subject matter, here's a press piece on how Keith feels about the stops between tours

Found on Shidoobee:

The Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards says he does not want to retire and will take away his band mates' wages if they take more than a year off between tours.

Richards said he wants to die onstage surrounded by his band mates, says report.

He said, "I've never heard anything about not going out again. I'm basically giving the guys a year off. I'm not pushing but I might withdraw their wages and see how they feel then."

He said performing was like therapy for him, adding, "I go onstage to get some peace and quiet."
7th April 2008 05:50 AM
corgi37 Is it a year yet since the end of ABB tour?
7th April 2008 10:56 AM
Gazza
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
And on our subject matter, here's a press piece on how Keith feels about the stops between tours

Found on Shidoobee:

The Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards says he does not want to retire and will take away his band mates' wages if they take more than a year off between tours.

Richards said he wants to die onstage surrounded by his band mates, says report.

He said, "I've never heard anything about not going out again. I'm basically giving the guys a year off. I'm not pushing but I might withdraw their wages and see how they feel then."

He said performing was like therapy for him, adding, "I go onstage to get some peace and quiet."

A bit rich for someone who's barely released ten songs that hes composed himself since 1994, and who hasnt released any solo material or played any solo shows in between Stones projects in 15 years.
7th April 2008 10:58 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Is it a year yet since the end of ABB tour?

No. Seven months.

Although since the end of the main ABB tour in November 2006, the Stones have worked for three months and played 30 shows in 17 months.

Yet some people reckon they must be exhausted.
7th April 2008 11:05 AM
Martha
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
My heart needs to see them again.
Especially after SAL.

I know the clock is ticking and I can't type it without tearing up.

We need one more giant gathering in NYC.

Word.

LJ.

I feel the same way sister! I NEED to be with all of you too, Going to see SAL by myself and not talking to anyone at the show before or after was a bit strange and lonely feeling. I ROCKED hard during the movie though. Want to see it at least once more. Will it stay in the theater another week? I saw the box office and thought it did okay 1.5 mil. My fingers remain crossed on all counts.

xxoo,
Martha
7th April 2008 11:07 AM
polytoxic
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
And on our subject matter, here's a press piece on how Keith feels about the stops between tours

Found on Shidoobee:

Nice bravado from KR as usual, but Mick is the CEO and he'll decide what's what. For what it's worth, I don't think they have another full blown world tour in them, but there are rumblings of something smaller scale (not necessarily venues, but itinerary-wise) in fall 2009. Either way, there's still a lot of time between now and then so we'll just have to see.
7th April 2008 01:23 PM
CrissCrossMind it aint over ... till it's over ... but they need some time off ... to put some work into a new project ... that can lead to a Tour ... maybe 3 to 5 dates in each of their ten best USA markets ... in smaller type 10,000 seaters ... but they need something new in way of overall presentation ... and for Keith to get his chops up to speed ... if they can get it together ... then it will roll on ... dance little sister dance ... CCM
7th April 2008 03:20 PM
glencar It can't go on much longer. They should go out with a bang. New album, arena tour, fuck China & the guest stars.
7th April 2008 03:32 PM
mojoman
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Yes, whilst theyre based in California, their tentacles (like Clear Channel) do certainly spread worldwide!

testicles?
7th April 2008 03:58 PM
Joey " It can't go on much longer. "

it can go on for at LEAST another twenty years .. maybe Thirty يهين

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)