ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Sunrgia with thanks Sweet Virgina!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jason Isbell Splits From DBT (nsc) Return to archive
7th April 2007 12:57 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle Posted on the DBT site yesterday...

Y'ALL:

It's with a wide range of emotions and feelings that I'm announcing that we have parted ways with Jason.
The split, which I consider extremely amicable is the result of a period of personal and artistic growth from all sides which has left us with differing dreams and goals.

Jason joined our band, mid-tour, in the fall of 2001, shortly after the release of our 4th album (Southern Rock Opera). His impact on the band was immediate and profound, bringing an awe-inspiring combination of vocal range, guitar dexterity, and amazing songwriting and leading us into an era of creativity that has resulted in three albums that I will be proud of for as long as I live.

Life in a band is always a delicate balancing act of personal and musical chemistries. Having been in bands for most of my life, I still marvel that any band stays together for longer than a year. Especially if the band in question spends anywhere from 150-220 days a year on the road, as our band has done since 1998. That said, I have also likened this band to a family. A big, messy, sometimes dysfunctional one, but a family full of love all the same. It is in this spirit that I plan on Jason continuing to be a part of our lives wherever our roads and dreams take us in the immediate future.

Jason is about to embark on a tour (including a leg of dates with Son Volt) with his stellar band and will be releasing (finally) his amazing solo album "Sirens of the Ditch" < July 10 from New West Records > . We all are wishing him nothing but the absolute best on every step that plays before him.

Cooley and I will have played together for 22 years this summer and DBT is about to begin it's 12th year of existence on the very day that we will be going into the studio to begin recording our 8th album. Cooley recently sent me a demo of five new songs and yesterday I demoed nine new ones for consideration. In addition to Shonna and Brad (who is coming up on ten years in the band) John Neff will be playing with us full time, playing both guitar and pedal steel. John was a founding member of the band in 96 and has already played on four of our albums and has been on the road with us, full time for going on two years.

It is my sincere and and adamant hope that everyone will support all of us, and by that I mean our band and Jason's, as we deal with this transition. Jason's tenure in this band has been one of the greatest things that has ever happened to me on a personal and musical level and our love for him and his music is in no way changed or endangered by our collective decision to move into different directions.

In addition to the upcoming THE DIRT UNDERNEATH tour and the recording of our next album, we will also be playing some special ROCK SHOW dates this summer and hope to do another leg or two of THE DIRT UNDERNEATH in the fall.

As always, the bond that we have with each other, as well as with the folks that come to our shows and listen to our records has always been one of the things that has set this band apart. We plan to continue on in that tradition and spirit and hope you will come with us as we attempt to tell another tale and Rock the nights away a little while longer.

Sincerely Yours,
Patterson Hood
Drive-By Truckers
April 6, 2007
7th April 2007 02:55 PM
fireontheplatter i have heard of these guys, and to be honest, i have never listened to them.
7th April 2007 03:00 PM
pdog
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
i have heard of these guys, and to be honest, i have never listened to them.

One of the best bands around, do yourself a favor and check them out....
7th April 2007 03:01 PM
fireontheplatter will do when i get a chance.....what is one of their better efforts?
7th April 2007 05:27 PM
Saint Sway I am now anxiously sitting by the phone awaiting Patterson's phone call to join the band...
7th April 2007 05:52 PM
Mel Belli I just saw Widespread Panic for the first time last night. (I'm only about 15 years late...) Their new guitarist, Jimmy Herring, whom I'd seen with the Allman Bros., was simply stunning. For a guy with jazz-geek chops, he plays well in a band and knows how to *rock*. An enviable combination...
[Edited by Mel Belli]
7th April 2007 05:53 PM
Saint Sway Agreed. Herring can soar. He's a great fit for Panic. But Mikey will always be missed.

still no word here from Hood or Cooley...

waiting...
7th April 2007 05:58 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
still no word here from Hood or Cooley...

waiting...

...alive, drunk, and naked?
7th April 2007 06:08 PM
Mel Belli A great song to crank up on a Saturday night:

"When I was a young boy I sniffed a lot of glue
Mom sent me to rehab, they told me what to do
We didn't have much money; the lord picked up the tab
They made me write him love songs, sitting in my room

"Now I just drink whiskey and drive around my friends
Get a haircut, get a job, maybe born again
And if you're living badly, we'll tell you how to live
Dead, drunk, and naked

"If you're out there listening, I just want you to know
I been doing just fine, psychiatrists tell me so
My scars are patched up; my arms have almost healed
My demons almost tranquilized, my pains almost killed

"Me and old Jack Daniel's, become the best of friends
We got all them Baptist's to die for our sins
I know the lord is coming
The South will rise again! (Dead, drunk, and naked)

"Daddy used to tell me, everything comes down to what they say about you when you're not around
And I wish that he was here now, I'm sure he would be proud
No one talks about me; the voices are too loud.

"So if you come to see me, I'm sure you'll be impressed
By how well I'm behaving and how well I'm dressed
If you come to see me, hope you're coming soon

"Dead, drunk, and naked"
7th April 2007 06:11 PM
Sir Stonesalot >still no word here from Hood or Cooley...waiting...<

Keep waiting. They already called me.

But now that I've had a chance to sing with The Stooges, and as much as I enjoy hanging out with Cooley, I just don't think I can say yes.

I've got bigger fish to fry.
7th April 2007 06:20 PM
Saint Sway this is interesting...

Patterson's announcement makes the move sound like it was very amicable for both parties. However..

on Jason's blog he paints a much different picture...

"I am not in the Drive By Truckers anymore. Go figure. I wish them luck. I will not answer questions about it."

and

"If I could change it... I would."

hmmm..... sounds like they forced him out. Wonder why? Jealousy over the solo project? I dunno. I do know that Jason is far too talented a song writer to be the 3rd songwriter in any band. His songs, IMO, are far and away the Truckers best songs.

I hope the above opinion doesnt effect my status as their soon to be newest member...

why hasnt the phone rang??!?!?!?!?!?!??!
7th April 2007 06:24 PM
pdog I'm bummed, i was looking forward to seeing The DBT's soon, now I could care less!
7th April 2007 06:25 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
pdog wrote:
I'm bummed, i was looking forward to seeing The DBT's soon, now I could care less!

I hear that. Isbell is one of the best songwriters out there. Easily the best songwriter and singer in that band. He will be greatly missed.
7th April 2007 06:26 PM
Mel Belli Yeah, what does "extremely amicable" mean, anyway? Sounds like Al Gore's description of his pot-smoking days as "infrequent and rare."
7th April 2007 06:33 PM
Saint Sway Prediction: by the end of 2007, Marc Ford & Jason Isbell form a band together
8th April 2007 02:48 AM
pdog
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Prediction: by the end of 2007, Marc Ford & Jason Isbell form a band together

The Black Truckers!
8th April 2007 05:44 PM
Factory Girl The Drive by Truckers are too long winded, imo.

8th April 2007 07:13 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Are Jason Isbell and Izzy Stradlin related (Izzy's real name is Jeffrey Isbell)? Just curious, that's all.
9th April 2007 09:36 AM
Maxlugar
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

Easily the best songwriter and singer in that band. He will be greatly missed.

I disagree with that. His two songs on Blessing blow chunks. Which makes you think he was holding back his good stuff for his solo album. That's not being a team player right there.

And while Danko/Manuel, Decoration Day and Outfit are incredible DBT songs, Cooley and Hood have done more by a long shot.

9th April 2007 05:42 PM
Joey
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

I disagree with that. His two songs on Blessing blow chunks. Which makes you think he was holding back his good stuff for his solo album. That's not being a team player right there.

And while Danko/Manuel, Decoration Day and Outfit are incredible DBT songs, Cooley and Hood have done more by a long shot.

You raise an interesting point here my New York loving pal .

I too have often felt a sensate ................

...... ***** IMMEDIATE END TO TRANSMISSION ******

'kins !
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)