ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Sunrgia with thanks Sweet Virgina!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What tour were Micks vocals their all around best?....from Ian Return to archive
7th April 2007 03:44 AM
IanBillen What do you folks think Micks best all around vocals were on tour?

89? 72? 94?

I think if I had to choose one that covered everything from range to power I would say it was Bridges to Babylon circa 97-98.

For range I think he did best on 2002 licks.

For power I would have to say 78 or 81.

But for all around great vocals I would say B2B tour took it. Good range, excellent power, nice tone.

what do you folks reckon in your opinions?

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
7th April 2007 03:55 AM
pdog What shows are you basing this on... I can agre on 78, when you hear the KBFH stuff, but other shows he was a mess and at his worst... 81 had the same problems... For overall consistency of his vocals, 75 standout.
The latter era Stones is Jagger doing alot of vocal work, but the way he sings now can be really irratating, even though technically his vocals are better, it's just to contrived at times... it's a shame we didn't get the vocals of todays Jagger, with the bands energy from 69 to 81...
from Pdog...
7th April 2007 05:02 AM
IanBillen
quote:
pdog wrote:
What shows are you basing this on... I can agre on 78, when you hear the KBFH stuff, but other shows he was a mess and at his worst... 81 had the same problems... For overall consistency of his vocals, 75 standout.
The latter era Stones is Jagger doing alot of vocal work, but the way he sings now can be really irratating, even though technically his vocals are better, it's just to contrived at times... it's a shame we didn't get the vocals of todays Jagger, with the bands energy from 69 to 81...
from Pdog...

Sure I thought he had bad range and tone, but alot of power on the 81 and 78 tours.

True Jaggers VOX are "technically" better today, only problem is at times it seems forced and un-natural. So really what we have is a trade-off. I suppose we cannot have it all.

I think on B2B he had great power, nice range, and good over-all tone while still having a Jagger Style to it. I think it came together on this tour better than most others, actually all others.

If we could have the power of 81, the range of 2002, and the tone of 75 it would be perfect. But then again, it may be too good for a live Jagger vocal.

Because Micks live vocals are not really supposed to be really "good" per say. They are supposed to be more-less belting the tunes out, in a festive fashion.

That is his reputation as a live singer. So they should be good as in "Jagger Good", not like a "Whitney Houston good.

Mick has a signature, Not sounding like the album live vocal style.

As far as the over-all best Mick Jagger style singing goes I think Bridges pretty much had all the components that make a live great Jagger vocal show without it sounding like he was trying to sound good.

Ian
7th April 2007 07:13 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Because Micks live vocals are not really supposed to be really "good" per say. They are supposed to be more-less belting the tunes out, in a festive fashion.

That is his reputation as a live singer. So they should be good as in "Jagger Good", not like a "Whitney Houston good.

Mick has a signature, Not sounding like the album live vocal style.

Sadly, the obsession of the band for sounding on stage as they sound on their records makes this point unvalid.
That does explain the horns, the multiple and unsignifiant back vocalists, the proeminient keyboard and all that shit.

Pre 89 shows were mostly raw, most of them now get slicker and slicker.

They built their legend with their live sound, but it's all over now.

7th April 2007 07:16 AM
Ronnie Richards Mick had great range on the Licks tour??
This must be a joke. Listen to Rocks Off from Four Flicks...
Mick was an excellent, soulful rock'n roll singer in the 60s & 70s, but Mick stopped singing a long time ago... he now only shouts..
7th April 2007 07:53 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:
Mick had great range on the Licks tour??
This must be a joke. Listen to Rocks Off from Four Flicks...
Mick was an excellent, soulful rock'n roll singer in the 60s & 70s, but Mick stopped singing a long time ago... he now only shouts..

I disagree. The shouting started in 75/76 and got worse right on through to the 81/82 tour. I lke Micks singing these days. Sure it's perhaps a little more polished then in days gone by, but along with Charlie, he's the only Stone who gives 100% EVERY show.

7th April 2007 09:34 AM
BILL PERKS 81
7th April 2007 10:16 AM
Bruno Overall, BTB. The way Mick sang Gimme Shelter at Praça da Apoteose, Rio, in 1998 was just beautiful.

One of the best performances I´ve ever heard from him is Stray Cat Blues from that Leeds boot, 1971, I think. Hear him shouting "oh yeah you´re a stray stray cat, oh yeah!"

The worst time gotta be 81/82 tour.
7th April 2007 03:00 PM
fireontheplatter this is a loaded question for me.....

streets of love baby.....streets of love.

everybody say i i i i i i i i i eye i i i eye....
7th April 2007 05:42 PM
sammy davis jr. Nothimg surpasses '72....He could blow his voice out every night and come back next show and do it again.
7th April 2007 07:36 PM
texile
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
Nothimg surpasses '72....He could blow his voice out every night and come back next show and do it again.

agree,
its a thrill to watch him stand and sing ycagwyw from ladies and gentlemen...
it was gruff, but in tune.

the shouting begin in 75...but in 78,
he had great moments - primarily the some girls stuff - check out miss you, beast, shattered etc...
probably because it was fresh and relevant..
but then it was over, just the shouting remained...
and yeah, the singing may be smoother now, but too slick.
7th April 2007 08:05 PM
Erik_Snow In 1975 Mick did some awesome singing, and changed a lot from show to show. Remember that wierd accent he did....almost a Jamaica-reggae style? The whole tour - including Jaggers performance, was fantastic!
The decay really started in 1976, though the not-so-good-75-shows has traces of that 76 style.
But in 78...it was back to rawness again, not as experimental as 75 but effin great in a different way.
[Edited by Erik_Snow]
7th April 2007 09:44 PM
Maxlugar Unforunately this is not a "there is no wrong answer" here. If you've answered anything other than 1975 you will be exposed as a gimp. For in 1975 the great and honorable Sir Mick Jagger was belting it out like never before. Or since. He was like a fastball pitcher reaching back and having it always there. Take a good listen. It was coming from the gut and it was strong. In the middle of the set he would give you a good Angie and Wild Horses too. Sung splendidly. And this tour was what, 23? 24? songs deep? The man was 31 going on 32. He had just harnessed his full potential. Mick Jagger had it all in 1975 vocally.

7th April 2007 09:49 PM
Erik_Snow Yep! 1975 was THE year for Jagger

[Edited by Erik_Snow]
7th April 2007 11:34 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, I gotta agree with ya Maxy.

'72/'73 was just a taste...he had transcendent moments...but not on a consistant basis. The '75 tour was Jaggers best vocal over the course of an entire tour. Fewer "off" moments, IMO.

Of course, this is also when he was at his most effeminate.
8th April 2007 01:54 AM
wgwalsh The 1973 Fall Tour was damn good.

The 1975 stuff was fodder for the throne. Awfully smelly performances. Then you had to integrate Woodie and his bloody nose episodes. But for a 10 dollar ticket, what can one expect?

The Some Girls Matinee in Cleveland gave a new meaning to being hung over. After telling friends that there was no better band, I had egg all over my face, for years.

The Licks show in Cleveland was right on the mark. However, when you factor in back up singers the comparisions become skewed.

Then I discovered real music...at the cathedral. Let's not forget gospel too. The prices ain't too shabby either.
8th April 2007 02:20 AM
IanBillen
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Maybe Mr. Walsh speaks the "Gospel Truth" here.

May the good Lord shine a light on you Mr. Walsh.

Hang Fire

P.S. You're right. The Cleveland Licks show was on the money for everyone in the band not only Mick.

Crazily, their most solid performance working together as a unit I have seen to date. Also, sonically the sound was great.

Hang Fucker
8th April 2007 07:19 AM
wgwalsh Ian...where have you been brother ?

You are one of the many selfless members of ROCKS OFF !

Glad to see that you are back to posting again...and remember HANG FIRE !

What have the boys been drinkin' these days ?
8th April 2007 08:06 AM
andrews27 Anybody who thinks MJ's just shouting out there ignores both the great blues-soul conventions he throws in, and the great showbiz-stage conventions he milks. Charlie, if he cared, would advise you to check out some of Al Jolson's acoustically or electrically recorded records - Jolie was the original multiple-shows-a-day in multiple-cities-a-week shtik artist. Compare Jolson -show business's great shouter - and you'll have new respect for what MJ does.

In the late 1960s, MJ once joked that he didn't want to be on stage forever, "like Al Jolson," but - on every level, including the biracial style - Jagger is the Jolson of our day. Working that runway out into the audience? - Jolson! Plantation songs reimagined, like "Sweet Virginia?" - Jolson! If he shouts more than sings, unlike Jolson, its because the essential hammishness that drove Jolson has dried up in MJ under the piled-on years, and the obsessive need for an audience went with it. It's the same process that changed MJ from a dancer, albeit an uneven one, to an aerobic walker up there. He was best as a combo of irrepressible ham and nonchalant hipster; now he's painfully professional and self-conscious - it goes with those big stages. Still - he's all the Jolson we get in these times. The rest is just Timberlake and Timbaland.
[Edited by andrews27]
[Edited by andrews27]
[Edited by andrews27]
[Edited by andrews27]
[Edited by andrews27]
8th April 2007 09:12 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
pdog wrote:
What shows are you basing this on... I can agre on 78, when you hear the KBFH stuff, but other shows he was a mess and at his worst... 81 had the same problems... For overall consistency of his vocals, 75 standout.
from Pdog...

i'd agree, but I think 69 was good, but I'm just going on Ya - Ya's
8th April 2007 09:17 AM
Scottfree
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

P.S. You're right. The Cleveland Licks show was on the money for everyone in the band not only Mick.

Crazily, their most solid performance working together as a unit I have seen to date. Also, sonically the sound was great.

Hang Fucker

That 02 Cleveland show is the best I've witnessed, very intense....
8th April 2007 05:21 PM
IanBillen
quote:
wgwalsh wrote:
Ian...where have you been brother ?

You are one of the many selfless members of ROCKS OFF !

-Just tryin to stay out of jail.

-The boys have been drinking milk. The men have been drinking Guinness.

-Sorry about the "Hang Fire" mis-hap. At times I get these darnable Rolling Stones fella's songs all mixed up in my weary head. Must of got Hang Fire and Star Fuckers wires crossed somewhere in the meth lab.

It's Only Rock n Roll but I can't get no Satisfaction.

Your Bitch, Always

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
9th April 2007 12:39 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
wgwalsh wrote:

paint chips and meth are a definite No No
9th April 2007 01:58 PM
jb 72,75, 78
9th April 2007 02:15 PM
Honky Tonk Man 75-76 was Micks mock cockney period. Pretending he was a working class eastender when really he was a middle class son of a PE teacher from Kent.
9th April 2007 02:19 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
75-76 was Micks mock cockney period. Pretending he was a working class eastender when really he was a middle class son of a PE teacher from Kent.

While '78 was the Hispanic pimp, and '81 the gay quarterback ...
9th April 2007 04:24 PM
marko Thats 1975 and,1982(not 81).I also think Urban jungle was
EX from Mick.
I also agree with Ian.97-98 was strong.99 was awful.
But his singing technik was best,1975-1983.
Now he just has a better voice.but his not better as an singer.
9th April 2007 04:40 PM
CraigP
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

While '78 was the Hispanic pimp, and '81 the gay quarterback ...

Classic!
9th April 2007 04:53 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
CraigP wrote:

Classic!

Sadly, I can't claim originality in either case. I think those were from a New Yorker article about Mick's fashion sense, going into the Licks tour. Can't recall exactly.
9th April 2007 05:45 PM
Some Guy
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

It's Only Rock n Roll but I can't get no Satisfaction.

nice.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)