ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Sunrgia with thanks Sweet Virgina!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Other Artists That Do Chuck Berry Well Return to archive
5th April 2007 07:20 PM
Throwaway Alvin Lee/TYA (Roll Over Beethoven, Sweet Little Sixteen)
Tom Petty (Around and Around, Bye Bye Johnny)
Rod Stewart (Sweet Little RnR'er)
George Thorogood and the Destroyers (Johnny B Goode, Reelin and Rockin, etc)
Stray Cats (Beautiful Delilah)
Rockpile (Let It Rock)
Linda Rondstadt (Back in the USandA)
Alvin "Youngblood" Hart (Back to Memphis)
AC/DC (School Days)
Black Crowes (Around and Around)
[Edited by Throwaway]
5th April 2007 07:24 PM
lotsajizz that Yardbirds live version of 'Too Much Monkey Business' kicks ass
5th April 2007 07:29 PM
Throwaway Oh word. Thats from the earlier days, no? EC on guitar?
5th April 2007 07:54 PM
lotsajizz yup 'Five Live Yardbirds'...an awesome set, definitive 'Smokestack Lightnin'
5th April 2007 07:58 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle Dave Edmunds - Let It Rock, Sweet Little Rock & Roller, Promised Land, Run Rudolph Run, Dear Dad, No Money Down, Jo Jo Gunne, Oh What A Thrill, It's My Own Business
5th April 2007 08:00 PM
Nellcote There you are Shuffle, you nailed it.
Nothing beats Edmunds wail on It's My Own Business.
And that piano, gawd, play on bro, play on...
5th April 2007 08:36 PM
Honky Tonk Man The Yardbirds also did a great version of Too Much Monkey Business with Jeff Beck on BBC radio. It's featured on his Beckology compilation.
5th April 2007 08:47 PM
keefjunkie beatles - roll over beethoven and rock and roll music.
5th April 2007 08:52 PM
Honky Tonk Man I love the Beatles take on Rock 'n' Roll music. Not Roll Over Beethoven so much though. Sorry George!
5th April 2007 08:58 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
There you are Shuffle, you nailed it.
Nothing beats Edmunds wail on It's My Own Business.
And that piano, gawd, play on bro, play on...

Oh hells yeah, Nellie.
Listened to Get It/Tracks On Wax 4 with Jo Jo Gunne from the Stiff box sammiched in between 'em earlier today.
Five furious fuzzed out minutes - love it!!

Keef may be Chuck's most famous acolyte, but DE worshipped at the same altar...

Keith with Rockpile on Let It Rock - The Bottom Line in NYC, 10.25.78

[Edited by Left Shoe Shuffle]
5th April 2007 09:02 PM
Zambero I never cared for Loggins & Messina that much, but the guitar break in "Your Mama Don't Dance" is a notable exception, owing much to the great string-tie bedecked god of the double-stop.
5th April 2007 09:48 PM
The Wick Jerry Lee Lewis
5th April 2007 10:46 PM
Throwaway Page's solo on "Custard Pie" has a nice Berry-esque touch. And don't forget Johnny Winter's "30 Days"!
5th April 2007 11:36 PM
guitarman53 Also Johnny Winters "Johnny B. Goode, Hendrix did a killer version of this.
Beach Boys "Surfin' USA" which is actually Sweet Little 16, just changed a bit with harmony.
Animals "Almost Grown"
Johnny Rivers "Maybelline.& "Memphis".
Dave Clark 5 "Reelin' & Rocking"
5th April 2007 11:41 PM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves Lonnie Mack's version of Memphis

and ELO's totally whacked version of Roll Over Beethoven
6th April 2007 12:26 AM
The Wick Johnnie Allan's cover of Promised Land is fantastic. He gives the song a Zydeco touch and it gives the original a real run for it.
6th April 2007 05:30 AM
Stray Cat UK Zep's "Boogie with Stu" has Stu playing the famous Berry riff . Maybe Johnny Johnson DID write the music?

scuk
6th April 2007 07:55 AM
Gazza
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:
Dave Edmunds - Let It Rock, Sweet Little Rock & Roller, Promised Land, Run Rudolph Run, Dear Dad, No Money Down, Jo Jo Gunne, Oh What A Thrill, It's My Own Business

Edmunds also used to do a cracking live version of My Mustang Ford, although I'm not sure if he ever released it on a record.

Another vote for Johnny Allan's cover of 'Promised Land', not forgetting Elvis' great version as well, with James Burton on guitar.

The E-Street Band have done some pretty good live versions of Chuck songs as well, a riotous "little queenie" in Philly in 1999 springs immediately to mind.
6th April 2007 08:39 AM
_Boomy_ Keith will eventually earn the rights to the remains of Chuck Berry one day.

I wonder what he will do with them.
6th April 2007 09:01 AM
Nellcote You know Boomy, after the fallout from the Johnnie Johnston lawsuit, which was facillitated by Keith, I do not think Mr. Berry will want anything to do with him, and vice versa. Probably the main reason a Chuck Berry song may never be played by the Stones again.
6th April 2007 07:44 PM
Sleepy Joe Presley Sleepy LaBeef
Eddy Clearwater
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)