ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Sunrgia with thanks Sweet Virgina!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith - that NME interview in full Return to archive
4th April 2007 09:28 AM
Gazza

It's the interview the whole world is talking about today (April 4) - Keith Richards telling NME what rock 'n' roll has taught him.

And yes, this is the interview where the guitar legend admits to snorting the ashes of his own father.

The article features in this week's issue of NME - on UK newsstands now - which also includes a comprehensive on the road feature with My Chemical Romance on their UK tour, Glastonbury Festival's reaction to the news Noel Gallagher wants to play this year's bash, plus a look behind the secrets of Arctic Monkeys' new album sleeve - all that plus our comprehensive gig guide and reviews section.

Now on NME.COM you can read our Keith Richards interview in full, as The Rolling Stones' guitarist tells us what rock 'n' roll has taught him...

The biggest cliché in rock'n'roll is...

There's no roll
"They forgot the roll and they only kept the rock. The roll's the whole damn thing dude, the rock is nothing, deal with it, the roll is king. Unfortunately most cats don't get behind the roll."

The three things I guarantee I'll never do again are...

1) Heroin
"The one thing I'll never do is the dope. I won't do that again. Everything else is up for grabs. Why wouldn't I do the dope again? Because I've been there and done that, and it's fucking painful, man. The other schmucks are doing it all the time and I pity them."

2) Climb coconut trees
"I wasn't climbing a tree [when he fell, suffering concussion and subsequently having to undergo brain surgery], I was sitting on a fucking shrub. I was sitting on that shrub again today, but I happened to fall off it the wrong way that day."

3) Be trepanned
"I wouldn't want to do that again. It's having your fucking skull cut open. It's what I had to go through. Yes, I've been trepanned. That's quite an interesting experience, especially for my brain surgeon,
who saw my thoughts flying around in my brain. I've got pictures of it mate, yeah. They cut my head, brain, skull open, went in and pulled out the crap, and put some of it back in again. But that's the way it is, I mean, shit, Keith Richards has got to do everything once."

Never trust anyone...

Who tells you you've six months to live
"I mean some doctor told me I had six months to live and I went to their funeral. The obit columns are of quite an interest to me these days. I don't trust doctors. It's not to say there ain't some good ones, but on a general level, no, I wouldn't trust 'em at all."

You don't know the meaning of the dark side until...

It goes really bad
"Then you never wake up to find out. Several times I've thought, 'This is it.' And it's quite a comforting feeling, actually, thinking, 'Jesus Christ I'm getting out of it now.' I've no pretensions about immortality - I'm the same as everyone else - same as you, same as everybody, I'm the same old bugger, just kind of lucky. I was Number 1 on the Who's Likely To Die list for 10 years, I mean I was really disappointed when I fell off the list."

My favourite new band is...

I ain't got any, they're all a load of crap
"Everyone's a load of crap. They're all trying to be somebody else and they ain't being themselves. The Libertines, Arctic Monkeys, Bloc Party? Load of crap, load a crap. Posers, rubbish. There ain't nothing out there that's worth shit. I listen to the real shit, I don't listen to bullshit. I listen to my shit, baby, Motörhead, reggae, Moroccan music. All kinds of shit."

The band I most wish I was in is...

The Rolling Stones
"They're the only band I care about, I can't wait to get back on the road with those bastards, who happen to miraculously be one of the best bands in the world. I dunno how the hell it happened. I mean you're playing beside Charlie Watts - yeah baby, you've gotta gig on. We're doing the Isle Of Wight this summer and that great, it's only down the road - I live in West Wittering, so it's just across the bay, you know."

The best guitar solo ever committed to record is...

Chuck Berry's solo on 'Little Queenie'
"I mean, whoooah! His guitar playing is just so sublime. But then
I could go with Scotty Moore and his solo on 'Mystery Train' with Elvis, when you start me on this shit you really start me going. I'll go on all night."

The best time I've ever had on drugs was...

I can't remember
"It's those nights you forget, but you know what happened because there are 15 other people telling you that you were hanging naked upside down from the chandelier. The other best bit is the morning after, when you wake up and realise you've had a great time. I mean drugs have got really nothing to do with life. Drugs are there if you want them, and it's not a big fucking deal."

The worst time I've had on drugs was...

When someone put strychnine in my dope
"It was in Switzerland. I was totally comatose, but I was totally awake,
I could listen to everyone, and they were like, 'He's dead, he's dead!' waving their fingers and pushing me about, and I was thinking, 'I'm not dead!'. So that's sort of the worst one. But I got out of that, I mean otherwise I wouldn't be talking to you. But yeah, bad shit is bad shit. The strangest thing I've tried to snort? My father. I snorted my father. He was cremated and I couldn't resist grinding him up with a little bit of blow. My dad wouldn't have cared, he didn't give a shit.
It went down pretty well, and I'm still alive."

The actor I'd most like to play me in a film is...

Johnny Depp
"Johnny and I had a great time, loads of fun. I expected [filming the third 'Pirates Of The Carribean' movie, 'At World's End'] to be fun but it was even more fun than I had imagined. I was driving through the driveway to Walt Disney studios the other day thinking, 'Jesus Christ, I'm following in the footsteps of Mickey Mouse here.' No, it was brilliant, I was there for four or five days and I did my bit, and Johnny was his usual graceful self and we're both the same size, so we swapped clothes and there it is. I met Johnny and he was just another one of my son's friends, 'This is Brian, this is Debbie, this is Johnny', and we met like that, years ago. I didn't even know what he did, I thought he was a failed rock'n'roll artist, and then I started to see some of his work and then he called me up said, 'Hey Jesus Christ, I've copied you to do 'Pirates...',' which I thought was the gentlemanly way of letting me know. I mean no wonder he paid for all the beers. I didn't realise I was being observed."

The best thing I ever saw was...

When a lady's got her legs wide open. La-di-da
"I don't wanna go there because I'd have to name the ladies and there's far too many. I mean I did go there, but I ain't going there with you."

My best advice to young bands is...

Grow up
"I mean who do you think you're gonna be? It's a matter of finding out who you wanna be. So to a band, I don't care how old or young they are, find out who you wanna be. If they wanna just be famous, or a star, that's easy, for a day or two, if you wanna be in a band then you'd better check out the shit all the way back. My advice for Pete Doherty in particular, though, is that he should shut the fuck up and leave her [Kate Moss] alone. I don't know the man, all I know is he's pushing his luck, and there it is, but so is Kate, who I know very well. Kate wants to play with bad boys, and she's done one, and then another one, and then another one. Badabing, badabang, badaboom! She'll live, the boys will die. It's just copycat bullshit. I did it because that was the way I did it, now people think it's a way of life."

I want to make a record as good as...

'Heartbreak Hotel'
"I mean there's a million of them. I guess '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction''s got to be close, and 'Beast Of Burden' maybe, yeah, and 'Tumbling Dice', 'Honky Tonk Women'. I'm starting to reel them off and it's not fair to all my other babies."

The coolest rock star in the world, ever is...

Me!
"I mean, right, it goes without saying really, doesn't it? I mean
I don't think I'm cool, it's other people that tell me I'm cool, I'm just being who I am. Just be yourself is all I can say, the rest of it's a fucking joke. 'Elegantly wasted' blah-blah-blah, I've had all of that. If you've gotta be cool be cool with yourself. If you've gotta think about being cool, you ain't cool."

I would never have my hair cut like...

Anyone except me
"I've never had my hair cut by anybody, I do it all myself. I've never let anybody touch it. My mum used to give me two shillings and sixpence every two weeks to get my hair cut, and I would just ignore the barber and chop it off myself and keep the fucking money. Spent it on cigs. And a bit of booze, probably, and I'd try and impress a bird here or there, too."

I'll stop playing when...

I croak
"That's it. I don't see any reason why it should stop if there's those of 'em still out there that wanna see it and I wanna play it, let's get it together. I mean I get antsy just sitting in one place for too long. I've had a few brushes with old death, he's kind of a friend of mine, actually, and er, if you hang around me you'll have a brush with it too."

Link :
http://www.nme.com/news/the-rolling-stones/27531
4th April 2007 09:38 AM
Steel Wheels This interview could have happened in 1978. What a punky Keef. Great, great stuff.
4th April 2007 09:42 AM
GotToRollMe How could ya not love the guy?
4th April 2007 09:45 AM
_Boomy_ "Taking" Bert has really livened him up.

Did you see him at the RNR Hall of Fame Ceremony? He was so into it and youthful.
4th April 2007 09:49 AM
Jumacfly Great stuff, thanks for posting it!!
4th April 2007 10:02 AM
Bitch Yes I've always said KEEF/Stones will continue to play when people post a "final tour" thread, and he confirms it here when asked when he'll stop playing..

...UNTIL I CROAK...

Rock on KEEF, you are one crazy bastard!

4th April 2007 10:07 AM
Mel Belli My favourite new band is...

"Everyone's a load of crap. They're all trying to be somebody else and they ain't being themselves. The Libertines, Arctic Monkeys, Bloc Party? Load of crap, load a crap. Posers, rubbish. There ain't nothing out there that's worth shit. I listen to the real shit, I don't listen to bullshit. I listen to my shit, baby, Motörhead, reggae, Moroccan music. All kinds of shit."

The band I most wish I was in is...

The Rolling Stones
"They're the only band I care about, I can't wait to get back on the road with those bastards, who happen to miraculously be one of the best bands in the world. I dunno how the hell it happened. I mean you're playing beside Charlie Watts - yeah baby, you've gotta gig on. We're doing the Isle Of Wight this summer and that great, it's only down the road - I live in West Wittering, so it's just across the bay, you know."

I get the feeling Keith has become a little like George W. Bush: isolated, happy in a bubble.
4th April 2007 10:13 AM
gimmekeef I get the feeling Keith has become a little like George W. Bush: isolated, happy in a bubble.

Mel...just lost my breakfast.....geeezzzz you on the Bert?.....lol
4th April 2007 10:14 AM
BrianGotHisRocksOff This interview is proof: Keith is the man, plain and simple.

My mom's been telling me that since I was 4, and I'm 24 now, lol.
4th April 2007 11:09 AM
Philip Nice to see Keith is still living a life far removed from reality and is maintaining his hypocritical bastid' ways!

4th April 2007 11:20 AM
Steel Wheels This is the kind of attitude you MUST have to be into rock and roll. Fuck everyone, my band is the best, your band sucks.

If he was a boxer, he's be the fucking undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.

If he was a football player, everyone would wear his number.

If he was a dancer, we all would never see his feet.

If he was a drummer, he would never miss a beat.

If he were a guitar player, he'd be the King of Rock and Roll.

Oh wait, he is the fucking King of Rock and Roll. Carry on, Keef!
4th April 2007 11:28 AM
danielharris627 Corr, Keith really is a legend.
And he listens to Motorhead! Awesome!
4th April 2007 12:40 PM
LadyJane There seems to be no middle ground re this interview.

Me? I cannot stop laughing.
Classic Keith.
I'll love him until the day I die.

LJ.

5th April 2007 10:57 AM
_Boomy_ My favourite new band is...

quote:
Everyone's a load of crap. They're all trying to be somebody else and they ain't being themselves. The Libertines, Arctic Monkeys, Bloc Party? Load of crap, load a crap. Posers, rubbish. There ain't nothing out there that's worth shit. I listen to the real shit, I don't listen to bullshit. I listen to my shit, baby, Motörhead, reggae, Moroccan music. All kinds of shit.

I didn't envision Keith as a Motörhead fan. Rock n' Roll!!!
5th April 2007 05:41 PM
maumau me thinks there's a LOT of stretching keith's actual words by the writer
5th April 2007 05:46 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
This is the kind of attitude you MUST have to be into rock and roll. Fuck everyone, my band is the best, your band sucks.

If he was a boxer, he's be the fucking undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.

If he was a football player, everyone would wear his number.

If he was a dancer, we all would never see his feet.

If he was a drummer, he would never miss a beat.

If he were a guitar player, he'd be the King of Rock and Roll.

Oh wait, he is the fucking King of Rock and Roll. Carry on, Keef!

Sometimes I just wanna give ya a big ol' hug, my AC brotha.
5th April 2007 05:51 PM
glencar LOL He's a great read!
5th April 2007 06:00 PM
Throwaway Thanks Gazza, aint nothin better than readin me some KR.
5th April 2007 06:04 PM
Saint Sway its a great Keith article. Enjoyable read.

far too much being made out of the snorting

who cares really? I'm sure he's snorted worse than that and doesnt even remember it. Thats just Keith. Whatever.

the thing is, when you read a Q&A with Keith like this one, the thing that hits me is that hes the one fucker on this planet thats figured it out. Dudes never "worked" a day in his life. He's done everything mostly on his terms. Not a worry in the world.

meanwhile, we're all still busy miserably working our lives away for the man

Keith has no regrets. Thats how it should be. People think he's crazy. But He laughs at all of us. The guy figured it out long ago.
5th April 2007 07:28 PM
fireontheplatter that read was a religious experience....
i think i need another vodka and sunkist and marlboro red to digest all that.
6th April 2007 09:27 AM
corgi37 Keith was on fire! Great read indeed. Certainly good publicity.

I saw Charles Shaar Murray on the idiot box commenting on Keith's snorting his dad (this was before the denial).

Man, Charles is one ugly, ugly motherfucker!
6th April 2007 04:00 PM
Gimme Shelter Great interview!! Thanks for posting.
7th April 2007 02:42 AM
prism Charles Shaar Murray was on ABC in the U.S. Commenting on Keith's latest controversy, he said, "Keith cultivates his mythology as a gardener would."
7th April 2007 07:33 AM
Ronnie Richards This proves once again- Keith is the very defintion of rock'n'roll..
7th April 2007 12:57 PM
Martha
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
its a great Keith article. Enjoyable read.

who cares really? I'm sure he's snorted worse than that and doesnt even remember it. Thats just Keith. Whatever.

the thing is, when you read a Q&A with Keith like this one, the thing that hits me is that hes the one fucker on this planet thats figured it out. Dudes never "worked" a day in his life. He's done everything mostly on his terms. Not a worry in the world.

Keith has no regrets. Thats how it should be. People think he's crazy. But He laughs at all of us. The guy figured it out long ago.

THERE'S My Derek! Saint Sway that is a fabulous shot!

Kisses and Hugs to you!

Keef....YOU are the FUNNIEST interviewed personality EVER! :-) Keep at it mate!

xxoo,
Martha
7th April 2007 12:59 PM
Martha A friend in academia sent this article to me: Hope it hasn't been posted already.
=======================================
KEITH RICHARDS, the hard-living guitarist for the Rolling Stones,
recently
claimed — in jest, he now says — that, after the death of his
father in 2002, he
mixed some of the old man’s ashes with cocaine and snorted them.
While the
tabloid press was quick to milk this revelation for every last bit of
shock
value, ingesting a dead family member isn’t quite as depraved as it
seems. After
all, “funerary cannibalism,” as anthropologists call it, has
existed in
different parts of the world since prehistoric times.

As recently as the 1950s, a New Guinea tribe called the Fore engaged in
the
ritual consumption of dead relatives. The practice led to an epidemic
of kuru,
or “shaking death,” a mad-cow-like neurodegenerative disease caused
by eating
human brains.

The mourning customs of another group of New Guinea aborigines, the
Gimi, also
involved funerary cannibalism. According to Dr. Kenneth Iserson, the
author of
the encyclopedic “Death to Dust: What Happens to Dead Bodies?,”
“In the Gimi
ritual, relatives placed a dead man’s body on a platform, so that he
could
decompose. ... His female relatives then dragged him off the scaffold,
dismembered the corpse, and carried the pieces into the normally
forbidden men’s
hut. There they ate their portions over several days.”

The ritual has also been observed among the Yanomamo tribe of the
Amazon. When a
Yanomamo child died, the parents held a funeral feast during which they
consumed
the little one’s entire body, including the bones, which were ground
up, cooked
and mixed with plantain.

Shocking as it seems to modern sensibilities, the custom of funerary
cannibalism
springs from a profound and very human impulse: the desire to
incorporate the
essence of a loved one into your own body. In that sense, it is simply
a literal
enactment of a conception that most of us share: the belief that, when
someone
close to us dies, the person lives on inside us — that he or she
becomes an
undying part of our own deepest selves.

If Keith Richards was, in fact, telling the truth (and it says
something about
his wild-man reputation that his claim seemed perfectly credible),
it’s possible
that he was simply experimenting with one of the few substances he
hadn’t yet
tried. But maybe — without even consciously realizing it — he was
performing a
rock ’n’ roll version of a primordial ritual of mourning.

Harold Schechter, a professor of English at Queens College, is the
author of the
forthcoming book “The Devil’s Gentleman: Privilege, Power, and the
Trial that
Ushered in the Twentieth Century.”
7th April 2007 06:43 PM
monkeyman62 now why cant mick be that open and honest, see mick its not that hard
8th April 2007 09:54 AM
chevysales keith said he sat on same shrub he fell from just yesterday?

what is with him... some of the comments... the world believes he snorted dad... and that artcile does nothing to prove otherwise...

keith titen up!
8th April 2007 09:56 AM
chevysales
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
its a great Keith article. Enjoyable read.

duanne and gregg... classic pic of days long gone... idlewyld south
[Edited by chevysales]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)