ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Sunrgia with thanks Sweet Virgina!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: More Whomiliation (nsc) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
27th March 2007 10:49 AM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Another great show last night at Hardrock...the Who are second only to the Stones. They are, as Townshend stted, the only two(2) classic rock bands left.....

I would like to nuzzle you
27th March 2007 10:50 AM
Joey [quote]Jumping Jack wrote:
No stinking Whomiliation in Tampa, only the finest guitar playing on this planet.

From backstage from Mr. Roger Freakin' Daltrey

A-GAME:

These guys, old? Please

Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend more than make up for canceling a March 13 show.

By SEAN DALY
Published March 26, 2007
ADVERTISEMENT
Offbeat News Video

TAMPA - Behold the rock gods at twilight, Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey, fighting off tired bones and talk of retirement, not to mention the last vestiges of bronchitis, with one more Jurassic riff, one more anthemic chorus.

Twelve days after canceling a Tampa show due to lead singer Daltrey's bronchial malaise, the Who returned to the Ford Amphitheatre on Sunday to settle a score, to show God and everyone that it takes more than a virus to knock out these still-swaggering, still-bloody-LOUD Brits.

"I might hit some bum notes tonight, but what I have is yours," Daltrey told the crowd of 9,500 which was a bit more than the original date's attendance. "And if everyone sings along, no one will give a (bleep) anyway."

Co-authoring the British Invasion with the Rolling Stones and the Beatles, the Who started as a quartet, four blokes who blended surly rebellion with pure pop hooks. Over the span of the band's 42-year career, drummer Keith Moon and bassist John Entwistle were lost to their fatal vices, leaving the 63-year-old Daltrey and the 61-year-old Townshend to carry on as a duo.

They know they're fighting Father Time - and they know they're winning, too. For opening song I Can't Explain, the band was backed by a video screen flashing black-and-white footage of the group circa '65. But Daltrey today sounded downright magnificent, howling the old refrain with new verve (the crowd went nuts as soon as he started singing), and whipping that mike around. And Townshend shredded his guitar with windmill verve, the arrogant axman stubborn on his throne.

How can you not root for these guys?

Just look at Roger: still a hunk, his blonde locks shorn close, his build still that of a prize fighter. He searched high and low on The Seeker and found every last note. He gave Who Are You a newfound punch. He smiled and pointed skyward during Behind Blue Eyes.

And check out Pete: There aren't many guitarists, alive or dead, who look as cool cradling a Fender. And he showed off every one of his guitar-icon poses: the hop, the slap, the crouching reload, the double windmill, the triple windmill. You couldn't take your eyes off him, especially during the classics: The Kids Are Alright, Substitute, Baba O'Riley.

The sound was so clean, so loud, so in-your-face, even the new tunes from the 2006 album, Endless Wire - the throwback sound of Fragments, the acoustic thoughtfulness of A Man in a Purple Dress - were received as old faves by the cheering throngs.

Of course nothing could top the hits. With Daltrey and Townshend backed by a youthful four-piece, the band unloaded Who Are You, Eminence Front, You Better You Bet, an extended My Generation.

The Who rocked away for almost two hours, tacking on encores that honored their rock opera days, including Pinball Wizard from Tommy. But the night's most gooseflesh-inducing moment came at the end of the first set. Won't Get Fooled Again, arguably one of the top five rock songs of all time, was a jaw-dropping marvel, especially the epic finale, in which Daltrey is required to howl into the mike, an iconic snubbing of authority.

As the big moment came, the crowd started chanting: "Roger! Roger!" Daltrey took a long sip of water and then, the spotlight finding him, unleashed the roar. And he held it, too -- for at least as long as it took Townshend to windmill once, twice, five times, 10 times.

Take that, Father Time. "

Nice .

BEST WHO YET !!!!

BEST STONES YET !!!!!

YES !

27th March 2007 02:40 PM
glencar I'm glad you got a good show finally! Nothing will compare to Jones Beach though!
27th March 2007 02:42 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'm glad you got a good show finally! Nothing will compare to Jones Beach though!

At times, I was bored( with the new materail), but they are still one of the last great bands out there...Pete is still sensational.
27th March 2007 02:43 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'm glad you got a good show finally! Nothing will compare to Jones Beach though!

Actually , the best concets are always at The Legendary QWEST CENTER :

Wait !!!!!! ..... I mean THIS !!! :

-- "He is relentless...a relentless GENIUS!!! Long may The Joey and his keyboard live!!!", Steve Couzzo- Posting World Magazine.
glencar That Fragments song is a snore but I enjoyed Pete's blather beforehand.
glencar
quote:
Joey wrote:

Actually , the best concets are always at The Legendary QWEST CENTER :

Wait !!!!!! ..... I mean THIS !!! :

-- "He is relentless...a relentless GENIUS!!! Long may The Joey and his keyboard live!!!", Steve Couzzo- Posting World Magazine.
Nigga please! I compared the 2 DVD's & Omaha got Omaha'd again. When will you learn?

27th March 2007 02:46 PM
Joey " That Fragments song is a snore "

27th March 2007 02:46 PM
glencar Joey, I speak the truth even if some dullards get offended.
27th March 2007 02:48 PM
Joey " Joey, I speak the truth even if some dullards get offended. "

27th March 2007 02:48 PM
glencar Is HP still in bidness?
27th March 2007 02:49 PM
Dan Black Widow Eyes was good but a lot of the new stuff just dragged.
27th March 2007 02:50 PM
glencar I loved that Purple Dress song even though it was a weak attempt at defending his allegations of pedophilia.
27th March 2007 02:52 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:

I loved that Purple Dress song

It is a Friggin Masterpiece !!!!!!!

YES !!!!!!

BEST WHO YET !
27th March 2007 02:52 PM
jb
quote:
Dan wrote:
Black Widow Eyes was good but a lot of the new stuff just dragged.

Gamma Ray and Powerplant are worth checking out.
27th March 2007 02:53 PM
Joey " Gamma Ray and Powerplant are worth checking out. "

[Edited by Joey]
27th March 2007 03:03 PM
glencar
quote:
Joey wrote:

It is a Friggin Masterpiece !!!!!!!

YES !!!!!!

BEST WHO YET !

The one which incorporates Elvis is a masterpiece.
28th March 2007 02:00 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
No stinking Whomiliation in Tampa, only the finest guitar playing on this planet.

From backstage from Mr. Roger Freakin' Daltrey

A-GAME:

These guys, old? Please

Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend more than make up for canceling a March 13 show.

By SEAN DALY
Published March 26, 2007
ADVERTISEMENT
Offbeat News Video

TAMPA - Behold the rock gods at twilight, Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey, fighting off tired bones and talk of retirement, not to mention the last vestiges of bronchitis, with one more Jurassic riff, one more anthemic chorus.

Twelve days after canceling a Tampa show due to lead singer Daltrey's bronchial malaise, the Who returned to the Ford Amphitheatre on Sunday to settle a score, to show God and everyone that it takes more than a virus to knock out these still-swaggering, still-bloody-LOUD Brits.

"I might hit some bum notes tonight, but what I have is yours," Daltrey told the crowd of 9,500 which was a bit more than the original date's attendance. "And if everyone sings along, no one will give a (bleep) anyway."

Co-authoring the British Invasion with the Rolling Stones and the Beatles, the Who started as a quartet, four blokes who blended surly rebellion with pure pop hooks. Over the span of the band's 42-year career, drummer Keith Moon and bassist John Entwistle were lost to their fatal vices, leaving the 63-year-old Daltrey and the 61-year-old Townshend to carry on as a duo.

They know they're fighting Father Time - and they know they're winning, too. For opening song I Can't Explain, the band was backed by a video screen flashing black-and-white footage of the group circa '65. But Daltrey today sounded downright magnificent, howling the old refrain with new verve (the crowd went nuts as soon as he started singing), and whipping that mike around. And Townshend shredded his guitar with windmill verve, the arrogant axman stubborn on his throne.

How can you not root for these guys?

Just look at Roger: still a hunk, his blonde locks shorn close, his build still that of a prize fighter. He searched high and low on The Seeker and found every last note. He gave Who Are You a newfound punch. He smiled and pointed skyward during Behind Blue Eyes.

And check out Pete: There aren't many guitarists, alive or dead, who look as cool cradling a Fender. And he showed off every one of his guitar-icon poses: the hop, the slap, the crouching reload, the double windmill, the triple windmill. You couldn't take your eyes off him, especially during the classics: The Kids Are Alright, Substitute, Baba O'Riley.

The sound was so clean, so loud, so in-your-face, even the new tunes from the 2006 album, Endless Wire - the throwback sound of Fragments, the acoustic thoughtfulness of A Man in a Purple Dress - were received as old faves by the cheering throngs.

Of course nothing could top the hits. With Daltrey and Townshend backed by a youthful four-piece, the band unloaded Who Are You, Eminence Front, You Better You Bet, an extended My Generation.

The Who rocked away for almost two hours, tacking on encores that honored their rock opera days, including Pinball Wizard from Tommy. But the night's most gooseflesh-inducing moment came at the end of the first set. Won't Get Fooled Again, arguably one of the top five rock songs of all time, was a jaw-dropping marvel, especially the epic finale, in which Daltrey is required to howl into the mike, an iconic snubbing of authority.

As the big moment came, the crowd started chanting: "Roger! Roger!" Daltrey took a long sip of water and then, the spotlight finding him, unleashed the roar. And he held it, too -- for at least as long as it took Townshend to windmill once, twice, five times, 10 times.

Take that, Father Time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tampa Tribune

The Who Make Howling Return To Tampa
By CURTIS ROSS The Tampa Tribune
Published: Mar 26, 2007

TAMPA - The question had to have been in the back of fans' minds for the first 90 minutes of The Who's set Sunday:
Could singer Roger Daltrey manage The Scream?

The Scream is that superhuman blood-curdling howl Daltrey emits at the climax of "Won't Get Fooled Again," a feat that is as much athletic prowess as it is emotional catharsis.

Daltrey's voice failed him March 13 and The Who abandoned its set seconds into opening number "I Can't Explain."

Sunday's show, before a Ford Amphitheatre crowd of 9,500, was the make-up date guitarist Pete Townshend promised the crowd on March 13.

As on the earlier date, Daltrey took the stage clutching a mug of tea and Townshend slashed out the opening chords to "I Can't Explain."

Even before he began singing, Daltrey looked like the cocky singer of yore, swinging his mic cord.

When he sang the song's opening line - "Got a feelin' inside" - the crowd let off a roar that was part encouragement, part relief.

Daltrey's voice did sound rough in patches, but as he told the crowd, "what I've got is yours. And if you all sing along, no one gives a … anyway."

The crowd did just that on "Baba O'Riley," nearly drowning out Daltrey on occasion. Sometimes the roughness worked to his advantage, as on "Man in a Purple Dress," where it emphasized the song's anger at judgmental authority figures.

Although Daltrey's voice was the center of attention, what most impressed Sunday night was the sound of The Who playing as a band.

Bassist Pino Palladino and drummer Zak Starkey have the thankless task of replacing legends - John Entwistle and Keith Moon, respectively. But the playing of both was so enmeshed into the band's sound that it's inaccurate to think of them simply as hired hands.

Townshend was masterful as ever. A string of hits performed Sunday - "The Kids Are Alright," "My Generation," "Behind Blue Eyes" - attest to his place in rock's pantheon.

And when that moment came in "Won't Get Fooled Again," when some in the crowd surely held their breath, Daltrey delivered, his "YEAH!" defying age, bronchitis, false leaders and the notion that The Who, two down and 40-plus years on, aren't still a vital voice for rock 'n' roll.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creative Loafing

The Who Redo

Sun. March 25, Ford Amphitheatre, Tampa

As the staccato organ riff lingered, you could sense a palpable anticipation from the crowd. Roger Daltrey, bronchitis survivor, was about to replicate one of the great recorded screams in rock 'n' roll history, the mighty shriek from "Won't Get Fooled Again" Could he execute? Would he hold back in light of his still-recovering pipes? Would he blow it out as a conciliatory gesture to the crowd that had, just 12 days earlier, endured The Who's cancellation of a Ford Amphitheatre concert 30 seconds into the first song?

Truth was, the audience had long forgiven Daltrey. Cheers rained down on him when he, guitarist Pete Townshend and four hired hands walked onto the stage shortly after 8:30 p.m. Sunday. His voice was ragged in spots, but by and large he sounded like himself. The Who played spirited renditions of songs from throughout their catalogue: the pumped-up British Invasion pop of "The Kids are Alright" and "Substitute," the groove-intensive "Eminence Front," the epic anthem "Baba O'Reilly," a rousing "Who Are You?" and a judiciously chosen handful of tunes from last year's Endless Wire album.

A wild, stretched-out version of "My Generation" and a punchy medley of songs from Tommy were yet to come, but the pinnacle moment was at hand. Daltrey hunched down a bit, grasped the mic with both hands, threw his head back and ... "Yeeeeeeeeahhhhhhhhhh!"

High and loud and piercing and long and fearless. The crowd went bonkers. Daltrey smiled.

It was the sound of atonement.

--Eric Snider

Wall hushes concert noise

Seems the $2.6-million sound barrier at the Ford Amphitheatre works: No complaints were filed after Sunday's show.

By MICHAEL VAN SICKLER
Published March 27, 2007

TAMPA -The Who is so loud its guitarist suffers from irreparable hearing loss. The Guinness Book of World Records once listed it as the loudest band of all time.

So what better group to test whether a $2.6-million wall would muffle concert noise at the Ford Amphitheatre and resolve, maybe for good, a long-running legal dispute with Hillsborough County?

If the Who's Sunday night show is any indication, the wall works. Not a single noise complaint was filed with the county or Temple Terrace officials in the first Amphitheatre show since the wall was deemed concert-ready.

"I'm delighted," said Wilson Rogers, the senior vice president of Live Nation, which operates the Amphitheatre. "It was either build a wall or remain in court. I chose to build a wall."

The outdoor venue opened in 2004 along Interstate 4 to mixed reviews. Residents lodged more than 400 noise complaints during the next two years. A subsequent lawsuit cost the county more than $600,000 in legal fees, as it tried to get the amphitheater to comply with noise rules.

In late 2005, the county struck a deal with the amphitheater's operators at the time, Clear Channel Communications. Commissioners voted to delay further legal action if Clear Channel agreed to reduce concert noise by, among other things, building a gigantic sound barrier that would absorb noise.

Clear Channel later spun off its entertainment division into a company called Live Nation. After a number of construction delays, Live Nation completed the 67-foot wall last month. On Feb. 16, county officials received a letter certifying that the wall was ready.

Its first test: the Who.

"If anyone was going to test the wall, it was going to be these guys," said Rick Tschantz, an attorney for the county's Environmental Protection Commission, which enforces noise rules. "It's got to be good news that we haven't received complaints yet."

The county had sound engineers testing sound levels during the concert. So did Live Nation. Those data are being analyzed.

But residents like Billie Morales already detect a big difference.

"I live straight across from the amphitheater, but I didn't even know the Who was over there last night until I let my dog in before dark," Morales said. "And even then, I only heard it when I was outside."

Residents had complained they could hear concerts inside their homes.

"My windows used to vibrate," said Joanne O'Brien, who lives less than a mile away. "I heard the concert last night, but it was tolerable. I don't have a problem with it."

That's music to the ears of Rogers, who said he's especially looking forward to May 19, when Roger Waters will perform. When he we was with Pink Floyd, Waters helped write one of the bestselling albums of all time: The Wall.

"I'm going to try to figure out how to light it up when he sings Another Brick in the Wall," Rogers said. "I'm glad it's working, and I hope going forward our stay in Tampa is going to be good for everyone."

NICE!! It could only have been great; there was no other choice!!

Thanks JJ!
28th March 2007 06:20 AM
TampabayStone
28th March 2007 07:18 AM
glencar She's very pretty! Congrats!
28th March 2007 07:30 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
glencar wrote:
She's very pretty! Congrats!

Thank you, Blue. We had a great trip!!!
28th March 2007 10:12 AM
Joey
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Thank you, Blue. We had a great trip!!!

Lovely Bride Tampa .........

Where did you go for your Honeymoon ?!

'kins

28th March 2007 10:59 AM
Saint Sway I was impressed by The Who at MSG. They rocked hard. High energy. Zack was beyond amazing. And Simon & Pete played loud and ragged. Pete is still a force onstage!!

however the crowd stood there with arms folded and blank stares. The median age of the crowd was at least 59. The band was rockin hard and full of energy but the crowd was old, bored and tired. Either too drunk to care or too worried about missing the 11:05 train back to Long Island. While many around me spent the show talking about Matlock reruns. It seemed everyones enjoyment and energy for the evening was spent on the preshow drafts at the Mustang Blarneys. And when the house lights dimmed the crowd slipped into barcalounger mode.

The Who can definatley still bring it and can rock as hard as any band out there. I'm hoping that Pete's association with cool young rock bands like The Raconteurs, Fratelli's, Rose Hill Drive, Peeping Tom etc will help to trickle in some younger audience members and give some much needed life to their lethargic crowds
28th March 2007 11:59 AM
Joey " ...however the crowd stood there with arms folded and blank stares. The median age of the crowd was at least 59. The band was rockin hard and full of energy but the crowd was old, bored and tired. Either too drunk to care or too worried about missing the 11:05 train back to Long Island. While many around me spent the show talking about Matlock reruns. It seemed everyones enjoyment and energy for the evening was spent on the preshow drafts at the Mustang Blarneys. And when the house lights dimmed the crowd slipped into barcalounger mode. "

You shall NOT be greeted .

28th March 2007 12:22 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Joey wrote:
" ...however the crowd stood there with arms folded and blank stares. The median age of the crowd was at least 59. The band was rockin hard and full of energy but the crowd was old, bored and tired. Either too drunk to care or too worried about missing the 11:05 train back to Long Island. While many around me spent the show talking about Matlock reruns. It seemed everyones enjoyment and energy for the evening was spent on the preshow drafts at the Mustang Blarneys. And when the house lights dimmed the crowd slipped into barcalounger mode. "

You shall NOT be greeted .

thats Ok, Hoss. I wasnt planning on using my FF miles to go to Omaha
28th March 2007 12:41 PM
Joey
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

thats Ok, Hoss. I wasnt planning on using my FF miles to go to Omaha

Funny !

That's what my little friends and myself running around the Plains of Nebraska with knickers on and stick ball bats in our hands used to call "Postin'!"

You're POSTIN' baby!

The Joey - As seen on the reality show "That's Postin'!", 10:00 PM CDT Sundays.

Jacky Carson !
28th March 2007 01:05 PM
lotsajizz he does have a point about the crowds---last Who show I saw I was continually pestered from fatasses behind me to sit down during the concert...I eventually said fuckit and went to the upper deck where I could dance to my heart's content...turned out to be a better and closer view and I could sneak a puff or three up there...

28th March 2007 01:09 PM
jb
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
he does have a point about the crowds---last Who show I saw I was continually pestered from fatasses behind me to sit down during the concert...I eventually said fuckit and went to the upper deck where I could dance to my heart's content...turned out to be a better and closer view and I could sneak a puff or three up there...

Modern day crowds at Who/Stones shows are to put it politely , the living dead. People spend more fucking time on their cell phones, walking around, and do anything other than jamming to the music...When I get to my seat, I make it pretty known that I will be standing, and I always get the dirty look or two....these people are the type that leave near the end so they can avoid the traffic.
28th March 2007 01:11 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:

Modern day crowds at Who/Stones shows are to put it politely , the living dead. People spend more fucking time on their cell phones, walking around, and do anything other than jamming to the music...When I get to my seat, I make it pretty known that I will be standing, and I always get the dirty look or two....these people are the type that leave near the end so they can avoid the traffic.

right on!!

you are much loved by Joey
28th March 2007 01:15 PM
LadyJane
quote:
jb wrote:
....these people are the type that leave near the end so they can avoid the traffic.

That is my biggest pet peeve, especially at a Stones show!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LJ.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)