ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Melbourne Rod Laver Arena - 13th april 2006
© Thanks Gypsy!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: China asks Stones to drop songs Return to archive
7th April 2006 09:11 AM
Daethgod
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18745218%255E1702,00.html

China asks Stones to drop songs
From correspondents in Shanghai
07apr06

CHINESE censors are asking the Rolling Stones to exclude five of their racier numbers from their weekend concert in Shanghai, frontman Mick Jagger said today, but he didn't seem too upset.

"It's not really an issue," Jagger told a news conference. "But I'm pleased that the Ministry of Culture is protecting the morals of the expat bankers and their girlfriends."

The British band are set to play their first-ever China gig tomorrow at the Shanghai Grand Stage, a relatively small venue with 8500 seats, after a 2003 concert was cancelled amid Asia's SARS crisis.

"When we first applied to come here, the Ministry of Culture ... asked us politely if we would consider not playing certain songs from the Forty Licks album at the show," Jagger said.

"This time around, I was hoping that there would be no censorship issues ... but then they came back with the same four songs they didn't want us to play and added another one."

Before the 2003 performance was cancelled, promoters admitted the group would be banned from playing four songs – Honky Tonk Woman, Brown Sugar, Beast of Burden and Let's Spend the Night Together – due to lyrics that were deemed too risque for mild-mannered Chinese.

Jagger did not identify the fifth song.

The group's Forty Licks album was also cut to just 36 for the Chinese rendition to excise the four offending songs.

Despite a general easing of restrictions of late, China is still wary of media that push the envelope.

Last week, news emerged that US-based Rolling Stone magazine had been forced to suspend publishing in China after printing its first local edition.

Authorities said the magazine lacked proper licensing, but at least one publication speculated the censors may have been irked by articles on controversial political and social issues.

7th April 2006 09:16 AM
Break The Spell I wonder what the unidentified 5th song is?? It appears that the Chinese government is only aware of the stones songs that made it on the Chinese "36 Licks", how else could they find "Beast Of Burden" more offensive than Star Star or Stray Cat Blues??
[Edited by Break The Spell]
7th April 2006 09:18 AM
Taptrick
MICK MUST SING SOME GIRLS ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

ABSOLUTELY MUST ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

That line about Chinese girls is priceless. And what are they going to do. Geting arrested would be the best thing that could happen to them at this point. It would be world wide.

7th April 2006 09:27 AM
Mel Belli Hey, I think we should look at this situation as the Ministry of Culture forcing the Stones to shake up the set list
7th April 2006 09:51 AM
nanatod
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Hey, I think we should look at this situation as the Ministry of Culture forcing the Stones to shake up the set list

That may be the best post I've seen on this board, Mel.
7th April 2006 10:12 AM
voodoopug
quote:
nanatod wrote:

That may be the best post I've seen on this board, Mel.

Sadly, this just means you should expect to see IORR, YGMR, PIB all performed. THey may also do both Angie and Wild Horses.
7th April 2006 11:47 AM
Gazza >Before the 2003 performance was cancelled, promoters admitted the group would be banned from playing four songs – Honky Tonk Woman, Brown Sugar, Beast of Burden and Let's Spend the Night Together – due to lyrics that were deemed too risque for mild-mannered Chinese.

great excuse to drop a couple of warhorses!!! However, they probably wont replace them and will just do a shortened show.

>Jagger did not identify the fifth song.

lets hope for the sake of the "mild mannered Chinese" its You Got Me Rocking. My own guess is 'Start Me Up'

[Edited by Gazza]
7th April 2006 12:49 PM
Saint Sway I applaud the Chinese governments efforts to make the Stones shake up their set list!!!
7th April 2006 02:40 PM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Jagger did not identify the fifth song.

lets hope for the sake of the "mild mannered Chinese" its You Got Me Rocking. My own guess is 'Start Me Up'

My guess is "Oh no, not you again".
7th April 2006 07:09 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I applaud the Chinese governments efforts to make the Stones shake up their set list!!!

16 song list tomorrow, bet on it.
7th April 2006 07:25 PM
Gimme Shelter Jagger unfazed by Chinese censorship of setlist, with 400 songs left to play Fri Apr 07, 11:12 AM EST

SHANGHAI, China (AP) - Mick Jagger said Friday he isn't worried about Chinese censorship of the Rolling Stones' setlist for their first concert in China since the band has 400 more songs they can play.

Authorities cut four songs from the band's 2002 greatest hits collection, 40 Licks, and Jagger said officials have asked them not to play those at Saturday's concert in Shanghai, along with one new one he didn't name.

"We kind of expected that. We didn't expect to come to China and not be censored," Jagger said at a news conference marking the band's debut appearance in the mainland in their 40-year career.

An original request to alter the song list was made ahead of the band's planned 2003 China concerts that were cancelled due to the outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome. Jagger said he'd hoped the request would be dropped but, "then it came back."

"Fortunately, we have 400 more songs that we can play, so it's not really an issue," Jagger said.

Then he added with his trademark sarcasm: "I'm pleased that the Ministry of Culture is protecting the morals of the expat bankers and their girlfriends that are going to be coming"-a reference to the largely foreign, upper-class audience expected for the concert.

The original four songs cut were Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Woman, Beast of Burden, and Let's Spend the Night Together, apparently due to their suggestive lyrics.

Jagger didn't say what the new addition was, but it was believed to be Rough Justice, the opening track of their new album, A Bigger Bang, which includes a lyric that is a synonym for rooster.

Censorship is nothing new to the Stones, dating back to their 1967 appearance on American TV's The Ed Sullivan Show, when the host demanded the band change the lyrics to Let's Spend the Night Together. As ordered, Jagger sang "let's spend some time together," but he rolled his eyes for effect.

More recently, the American National Football League silenced Jagger's microphone during sexually suggestive passages of two of the three songs the band performed before an audience of 90 million television viewers at the Super Bowl halftime show in February.

"I don't have to tell you censorship exists in China as in other places," Jagger said.

Though visiting for the first time as a band, the Stones' presence has aroused none of the fan frenzy that has greeted them at other locations on their worldwide A Bigger Bang tour.

The band is relatively unknown in China, which was mired in communist isolation at the height of the band's fame in the 1960s and 1970s.

While rock has gained an audience here - music by bands such as Nirvana and Pink Floyd are widely available on pirated DVDs - the airwaves tend to be dominated by saccharine Chinese pop tunes. Last year's biggest musical event was a televised American Idol-style song contest, Mongolian Cow Sour Yogurt Super Girl.

However, Jagger said he hoped a planned nationwide television broadcast of the concert by the government's China Central Television would boost exposure for the music.

And he said Cui Jian, known widely as the father of Chinese rock, would join the Stones on stage during the concert for a duet before the 8,000 fans at the Shanghai Grand Stage - an audience roughly 1.2 million smaller than the one that witnessed their free concert last year in Rio de Janeiro.

Most of those Shanghai tickets are believed to have been sold to non-Chinese, according to the local press. With prices between 300 yuan to 3,000 yuan ($37 to $370 US), tickets cost more than a monthly wage of most Chinese.

The newspaper Shanghai Morning Post also complained in an article that only one Chinese media outlet had been allowed to cover the band's arrival on Thursday.

"The Rolling Stones come to Shanghai, but they're only performing for foreigners," read the headline on the front page of the paper's entertainment section.

7th April 2006 07:33 PM
Soldatti
quote:
"Fortunately, we have 400 more songs that we can play, so it's not really an issue," Jagger said.

What a joke.
7th April 2006 08:34 PM
speedfreakjive maybe they will play something different then. This could be a positive move in the direction of SFM or Let It Bleed.
7th April 2006 08:44 PM
glencar Let It Bleed probably has more offensive lyrics than any of the other songs cited.
7th April 2006 10:01 PM
glencar When possible, I don't buy items with Made In China labels. I'll pay more if necessary.
7th April 2006 10:09 PM
pdog Fuck China, I'm returning all my cheap appliances, and my kids toys, this is bullshit...
WTF? What are they gonna do, pull the plug on the show if they play them. Have The Stones done a show in the past 30 years and not played Brown Sugar or HTW?
Fuck that, don't play or play the songs anyway...
If they bend over, I'm done, no more $500 tix anymore. I'm only doing the $200... That'll show em'!

How about this:

Well, I'm a lonesome schoolboy
And I just came into town
Yeah, I'm a lonesome schoolboy
And I just came into town
Well, I heard so much about China
I decided to check it out

Well, I wait in Tiananmen Square
With a come-hither look in my fish eye
Yeah, I'm leaning on Forbidden City Columns
But all I do is talk to the Censor Lions

Oh where can I get my wang- phooey sucked?
Where can I get my ass -ramen fucked?
I may have no Renminbi,
But I know where to put it every time

Well, I asked a young soldier
If he'd only shoot me for the night
Well, I've had avian flu in the farmyard,
Some of them, some of them, they're alright
Well, he fucked me with his Tai Chi Sword
And his Kang Hsi helmet was way too tight

Oh where can I get my cock - suey sucked?
Where can I get my ass - fried rice fucked?
I ain't got no Renminbi,
But I know where to put it every time

I'm a lonesome schoolboy in Peking
I'm a lonesome schoolboy Fuck Chairman Mao
7th April 2006 10:12 PM
glencar #1 widda bullet, mon!
7th April 2006 11:20 PM
Spru Clearly a blessing in disguise. Hopefully CYHMK will debut. Somehow though, I have a feeling that SFM may very well appear.
[Edited by Spru]
8th April 2006 10:48 AM
the good This is outrageous. I hope the Stones play all four songs they are being told not to play. One last act of true rebellion on the part of the bad boys of rock and roll. It would be so sweet.
8th April 2006 01:28 PM
Spru Looks like I was wrong.
8th April 2006 01:43 PM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I applaud the Chinese governments efforts to make the Stones shake up their set list!!!

unfortunately, the Stones take the order too literally

They see it as being asked to "drop" 4 songs, not "replace them with something else"

Good job the Chinese government didnt go through the rest of the albums with a fine tooth comb. They would probably have come onstage, played "As tears Go By" and then split

Anyone know how you say "take the money and run" in Mandarin ?
[Edited by Gazza]
8th April 2006 02:41 PM
blackandblue It's a bloody shame the Stones give way to censorship.
If you have principles you'd simply say: fuck you and invite K3 instead!
8th April 2006 03:12 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Anyone know how you say "take the money and run" in Mandarin ?

Omaha?
8th April 2006 05:09 PM
the good The Stones a had a great opportunity here. They could have become the most famous advocates for freedom of speech the world has ever seen. I mean, what would the Chinese have done if they did it? Detained them or something? Big deal. They would have been great heroes for standing up to the Chinese government.
8th April 2006 06:10 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
the good wrote:
The Stones a had a great opportunity here. They could have become the most famous advocates for freedom of speech the world has ever seen. I mean, what would the Chinese have done if they did it? Detained them or something? Big deal. They would have been great heroes for standing up to the Chinese government.

And now they are just losers
8th April 2006 11:59 PM
voodoopug
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

And now they are just losers

No! they did the right thing by sticking it to the Chinese fans who did not support them with strong ticket sales and gave them a totally phoned in setlist. Good for them. Lets see them treat a real stones country (see Sweeden) with the gems. Let those who refuse to play Cohl's game suffer!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)