ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Melbourne Rod Laver Arena - 13th april 2006
© Thanks Gypsy!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hank Williams III and The Damn Band - St. Louis - 3/30/06 Return to archive
1st April 2006 07:38 AM
Barney Fife Hank Williams III and The Damn Band - St. Louis - March 30, 2006

A fun, rollicking time was had by....everyone I saw, Thursday night at Mississippi Night in St. Louis seeing Hank III, Damn Band and Assjack. There were crazy, drunken hillbilly boys dancing with each other and plenty of smokin’ and drinkin’. There were funning looking people to see and there was plenty of good music. Before I go any further, I want to publicly thank the guy in the Las Vegas Grind shirt who gave me the cigar during Bob Wayne’s set.

Before the gig, I met my friend Don and his girlfriend for dinner. Don used to be a minister but now works for a moving company and was telling me about how his company accidentally broke one of Hank Jr’s Grammies. He said that they only pay 60 cents per pound for broken stuff, so they only remunerated Bocephus $6.00 for it.

We got to the gig in time to see Bob Wayne and his band which included the talented Andy Gibson on Guitar and banjo. Bob is Hank III’s guitar tech, so it’s nice that Shelton lets him have the opening slot. Bob wears these Boss Hog-style aviator sunglasses while playing on stage. Not sure how much of his songs are true and how much is “artistic freedom.” The best thing about Bob’s opening slot was the humor of seeing Andy go up behind him, grab one of Bob’s tuning pegs and detune his guitar. Andy amused me by doing this two or three times. The second best thing about Bob’s set was a funny song he has about being true to his gal but screwing women all over the United States.

Shelton and the band came on and played a very inspired show which is usually the case. I really appreciate the energy they put out. He introduced “Dick in Dixie” by calling it “the greatest hit we never had.” Hank III has an excellent band and I can’t say enough good stuff about the fiddle and steel guitar playing. The rhythm section is excellent too. During The Devil is my Friend, the fiddle solo was wild and dissonant and the steel guitar solo was a wacky roller-coaster ride. Some of that wild, totally-appropriate-in-its-dissonance fiddle was in other songs too like “Hellbilly.”

After Cecil Brown, people started throwing tee-shirts up on stage as presents for Shelton and he commented that he’d be dressed for the next 15 years. Then someone threw a large, padded bra up to him to which he commented, “and those are some 20-pound titties, that’s what I say.”

I was glad to see an expanded hellbilly set - almost 20 minutes instead of just four songs.

I only stayed for a few songs of the Assjack set because I had to get up early the next day to fly to Michigan.

Tickets were $15 and would have been a bargain at twice the price.

Here’s the song list of the country set:

Straight to Hell
Trashville
Thrown Out of the Bar
Smoke & Wine
Mississippi Mud
87 Southbound
I Don’t Know
Dick in Dixie
Country Heroes
Pills I Took
The Long Hair Doesn’t Cover Up My Redneck
--> If You Don’t Like Hank Williams
My Bucket’s Got a Hole In It
Cocaine Blues
Crazed Country Rebel
D Ray White
Devil is My Friend
Louisiana Stripes
Hoedown
Cecil Brown
Nighttime Ramblin’ Man
2nd April 2006 12:09 AM
keefjunkie Cool.

I love trashville.
3rd April 2006 09:28 AM
Break The Spell I love his song "I Don't Know", I've done it at karoke.
"I might get drunk and rob a bank..."
3rd April 2006 01:05 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
I love his song "I Don't Know", I've done it at karoke.

"...shoot my car if it don't crank..."
3rd April 2006 01:05 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
I love his song "I Don't Know", I've done it at karoke.

"...shoot my car if it don't crank..."

http://community.webshots.com/album/549122616GzSKyi

[Edited by PolkSalad]
3rd April 2006 01:06 PM
Break The Spell He also does a set of metal songs, the contrast is amazing. He's of many talents. On top of that, he plays bass in Superjoint Ritual featuring Phillip from Pantera / Down on vocals.
3rd April 2006 01:12 PM
nanatod Was in a used record store Saturday afternoon, and saw about seven copies of the Hank Jr. animated figure. Didn't think it was worth the $28.00, though.
3rd April 2006 01:14 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
nanatod wrote:
Was in a used record store Saturday afternoon, and saw about seven copies of the Hank Jr. animated figure. Didn't think it was worth the $28.00, though.

Good choice, I'd rather spend it on music. Next thing you know, there will be James Blunt, Bono and Coldplay "action" figures sold in a pink box.
3rd April 2006 04:27 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
He also does a set of metal songs, the contrast is amazing. He's of many talents. On top of that, he plays bass in Superjoint Ritual featuring Phillip from Pantera / Down on vocals.

not a fan of SJR but Assjack is ok. prefer the middle ground hellbilly set which is pretty much Assjack now anyway.

3rd April 2006 04:57 PM
polksalad69 here's a shot from last night 04-02 in Chicago. I did not take this one but it's Assjack...

3rd April 2006 05:02 PM
nanatod Are you two (polksalad and polksalad69) like Bocephus and Hank III?
3rd April 2006 11:22 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
nanatod wrote:
Are you two (polksalad and polksalad69) like Bocephus and Hank II?

one and the same
4th April 2006 07:07 AM
Break The Spell Great shot polksalad69, never got to see Assjack live, only Hank III solo and SJR. I like their studio output however. They do a pretty good live set??
4th April 2006 12:06 PM
nanatod
quote:
PolkSalad wrote:
one and the same

You quoted me incorrectly. I asked if the two polk salads were like Bocephus and [his son] Hank III. Your quote said Bocephus and Hank II.

4th April 2006 07:33 PM
polksalad69
quote:
nanatod wrote:

You quoted me incorrectly. I asked if the two polk salads were like Bocephus and [his son] Hank III. Your quote said Bocephus and Hank II.

that's correct, bo-cephus is Hank II
8th April 2006 02:19 PM
Barney Fife "You know the man's gonna make some crazy music. Anybody that don't get it, best be movin on."
-Wayne Hancock, Bloodshot Records recording artist.

"Like every Hank in his family, Hank III has alot of Hank Sr. in him, a lot of Jr. in him and helluva lot of his own God given fire in him. He is as important to this generation of music lovers as his roots would predict. Hank III is a dose of Hard Core reality you won't find in today's candy assed country music."
-Dale Watson, Koch Records recording artist.

"Fuck Nashville" drips out of every hole in Hank's body.
I hope he continues to piss on the Grand Ol' Opry 'till the day he dies."
-Jimmy Bower, The Godfather of Southern Metal.

"Hank is one of the most honest and pure musicians I know. Everything he does is completely rooted in his genuine love of the music above all else. That's not as common as some might think. For him to carry on his family legacy so successfully, without compromising his individuality as an artist is absolutely amazing."
-Mark Morton, guitarist, Lamb Of God

"III is one of the most talented, down to earth people that anyone could ever know. He has the ability to either touch your soul with true oldschool country, or rip your fucking face off with his heavy stuff."
-Jamie Moore, vocals, Demonseed.

"I like Hank Sr. and I like Hank Jr. But I like Hank III better than both of them."
-David Allan Coe, True Outlaw and Country Music legend.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)