ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1967 TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: styx concert Return to archive
April 5th, 2005 06:21 PM
iluvmickjagger07 my friend had an exta ticket for the styx concert and she wants me to go with her. and i said yeah. but i dont know any of their songs and i know theyre really famous.
so can any of yall tell me some of their most popular songs so i can download them
i dont want to go to a concert and not know any songs. that would be boring
..................................thanks
April 5th, 2005 06:50 PM
FPM C10 You're right, that would be boring. My advice: DON'T GO.
April 5th, 2005 06:51 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto!
April 5th, 2005 07:02 PM
glencar I once went to a Jimmy Buffet concert even though I KNEW in advance that it would totally suck. Please avoid Styx as they suck even more than Buffet.
April 5th, 2005 07:26 PM
Phog Styx are really fucking lame. However, it might be fun to get drunk and laugh at the people getting into the music. I'd skip the show and read a book instead.
April 5th, 2005 07:49 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Ask Sir Stonesalot he's the fan numbero one os STYX

Spank me Ronnie!!

IMPORTANT NOTE: The above is a joke of real bad taste. Same as Sirstonesalot I don't like that band is superpop and extremmely commercial I don't know how they are touring. The only thing that you will see (probably) is good looking girls in the audience and some gays
April 5th, 2005 07:50 PM
glencar I think there was an article in the paper that the Styx drummer is indeed gay.
April 5th, 2005 08:23 PM
Sue The song "First time" was dedicated to "Paul" and sounds like a gay anthem
April 5th, 2005 10:00 PM
iluvmickjagger07 are you serious
they suck that bad?
maybe i wont go
April 5th, 2005 10:06 PM
iluvmickjagger07
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:
Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto!

i just heard it and it was so gay!
April 5th, 2005 10:22 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
iluvmickjagger07 wrote:
are you serious
they suck that bad?
maybe i wont go

They don't suck because they are gay if they are. They suck because of their music.

Regardless that I don't like them I don't see any problem in the sexual preferences of a musician, just his/her music. I think Freddy Mercury was a great musician, a great singer, a great performer and he was proud to be gay. Same for David Bowie, NY Dolls and many more
April 6th, 2005 12:03 AM
polksalad69 so is that freak Dennis DeYoung with them anymore or is he still not able to go out in the light? unfortunately they are local heroes to some. hell, go, it should be great people watching.
April 6th, 2005 04:09 AM
UGot2Rollme I have to admit a slight admiration for Styx, although Mr. Roboto is one of the worst songs ever recorded. Don't worry, they won't do it in concert.

Their bass player is indeed gay and has AIDS - he no longer tours with the band, but shows up occasionally as guest.

His brother, their former drummer, died of alcoholism a few years ago.

The keyboard player and lead singer on many of their softer tunes (e.g. Babe) is no longer in the band. His replacement is a poseur, but plays really well.

That leaves Tommy Shaw on guitar and vocals and James Young on lead guitar. They are very tight in concert, maybe a little too polished, but seeing them do an old classic like "Madam Blue" makes it worthwhile. I recommend that you go.
April 6th, 2005 07:33 AM
egon bored at a concert?
turn around; there's always a bar in the back.

no, no thank YOU!
April 6th, 2005 06:19 PM
iluvmickjagger07
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

They don't suck because they are gay if they are. They suck because of their music.

Regardless that I don't like them I don't see any problem in the sexual preferences of a musician, just his/her music. I think Freddy Mercury was a great musician, a great singer, a great performer and he was proud to be gay. Same for David Bowie, NY Dolls and many more

i didnt mean homosexual gay, i meant stupid gay. "gay" now a days means sucky, stupid, tasteless, boring, etc.

and i dont care if theyre gay. i like boy george, george micheal and many other gay singers.
[Edited by iluvmickjagger07]
April 6th, 2005 06:24 PM
iluvmickjagger07
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:
I have to admit a slight admiration for Styx, although Mr. Roboto is one of the worst songs ever recorded. Don't worry, they won't do it in concert.

Their bass player is indeed gay and has AIDS - he no longer tours with the band, but shows up occasionally as guest.

His brother, their former drummer, died of alcoholism a few years ago.

The keyboard player and lead singer on many of their softer tunes (e.g. Babe) is no longer in the band. His replacement is a poseur, but plays really well.

That leaves Tommy Shaw on guitar and vocals and James Young on lead guitar. They are very tight in concert, maybe a little too polished, but seeing them do an old classic like "Madam Blue" makes it worthwhile. I recommend that you go.

thanks for the info, i will download that song later and see if i like it. could u list a few other good songs by styx that they are most likely to play at the concert.
April 6th, 2005 11:19 PM
polksalad69
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:

Didn't they boot DeYoung out because he couldn't go out in the sunlight?

Tommy Shaw was in Damn Yankees. Actually saw them open for Bad Company some years ago. Very drunk, yes I was.
April 7th, 2005 02:58 AM
UGot2Rollme Hey Polk,
I saw Damn Yankees very drunk on that same tour with Bad Company (show in Atlanta). Tommy Shaw has written some good tunes - Come Again - comes to mind.

IluvMik: here's some other of Styx most popular tunes most likely to be played in concert:

Renegade
Fooling Yourself
Come Sail Away

Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood