ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1967 TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: You gotta roll me... Return to archive
April 5th, 2005 12:02 PM
Scot Rocks When you hear tumblin dice after not listening to it for a while, its brilliance just hits you again and that riff has to be one my favourite in music.
April 5th, 2005 12:11 PM
glencar Exactly. Even Linda Ronstadt couldn't ruin that song. TD & HTW & JJF are their 3 best.
April 5th, 2005 12:34 PM
Bloozehound anyway you wanna slice it Tumblin Dice is pure genius
April 5th, 2005 12:44 PM
sirmoonie The riffing starting at around 2:02 minutes into the song is beyond belief, how did they do this?, as is the way Charlie picks up the tempo. Their best song - its perfect, nothing will ever touch it.
April 5th, 2005 07:05 PM
stonedinaustralia love the way keith comes in with the "keep on rolling" line in response to "you gotta to roll me" from those divine female backing vocals

pure bliss and as good a rush as i've ever gotten from any drug
April 5th, 2005 07:33 PM
Soldatti The whole song is a pleasure.

Interseting story about this song, see Jagger's interview on Rolling Stone during 1995:

Who wrote "Tumbling Dice"?

[Laughs] Keith and me. I wrote the lyrics.

And he did the groove?

Yeah. It comes back to that thing where I really don't remember who had the melody or not, but it doesn't really matter.

Why does that beat grab you so quick?

I don't really know what people like about it. I don't think it's our best stuff. I don't think it has good lyrics. But people seem to really like it, so good for them.
April 5th, 2005 07:34 PM
glencar False modesty, doncha know.
April 5th, 2005 09:47 PM
Bob Tamp I definately wasnt too thrilled with the way they played it on the LICKS tour, but overall it is by far my favorite of the War Horses. I never get tired of this one.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood