ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1967 TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Eagles take title of Greatest American Rock Band Return to archive Page: 1 2
April 5th, 2005 07:45 PM
glencar #27 for teh Eagles & taht's only because they had a string of hit singles.
April 5th, 2005 11:52 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! I think it's all fine and dandy to have some good tunes, but I just can not get into a band that plays a show the same way that you hear it on an album. Same ole song and dance. Plus, they are one of those bands where everyone at the show just sits down, no dancing, no partying. Might as well be at a fucking classical music concert!
April 5th, 2005 11:59 PM
mac_daddy glencar, they aint even #27 when rating bands from CA...

they are a f*cking abomination.
April 7th, 2005 04:50 AM
Irresistible-Lady CCR better can have this title..
April 7th, 2005 05:56 AM
Cant Catch Me Gabba gabba hey, the Ramones are #1. But other bands qualify too, depending on your mood or tastes. The Eagles, though, never.

I think you've gotta take output and longevity into account, so bands that burned up fast like the Stooges are gonna be niche bands, no matter how intensely they burned or how great those of us with taste think they are.

The Beach Boys, CCR, Skynyrd, the Jefferson Airplane (before they ruined their legacy as Starship etc. -- come to think of it Skynyrd fucked up theirs too), all would be excellent choices. I'm not big on the Doors, so for me they're out. But if you throw in solo artists the choices are immense.

(And, BTW, I'm a big Dead fan, but I have to say that their Chuck Berry covers, and that's all of the many, many that they did, kind of . . . well, aren't that good. The Dead rolled, but never rocked like Chuck Berry. The Stones cover Chuck Berry better than any band in the world, maybe even better than Chuck himself.)
[Edited by Cant Catch Me]
April 7th, 2005 11:09 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Cant Catch Me wrote:
, the Jefferson Airplane (before they ruined their legacy as Starship etc. --

No, they didn't, The Airplane and Starship have no real spititual connection in time and space. Even Kantner ditched that abomination early on. The legacy of the Airplane is still intact.
April 7th, 2005 11:13 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Also where do the Byrds fit in to all this? They may have been the top.....an awful lot of talent burnt though the Byrds.
April 7th, 2005 11:46 AM
Joey

April 7th, 2005 12:03 PM
Phog Ramones, Stooges, Husker Du, Replacements, Circle Jerks, Black Flag, Minutemen, Firehose, Pixies, Fugazi, Meat Puppets, Fishbone, Dead Kennedys, Jane's Addiction, Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine, Foo Fighters....

All better than the Eagles.

Christ, even stuff like Kiss, Aerosmith, Motley Crue, and Metallica is better. Lots better.
April 7th, 2005 12:11 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Phog wrote:
All better than the Eagles.

Did you know that Don Henley is a genius? Some even say his songwriting talent is on a par with Dylan.
April 7th, 2005 12:50 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
glencar, they aint even #27 when rating bands from CA...

These assholes aren't even from California. Henley's from Texas & Fry is from Michigan. They give my state a bad fucking name!
April 7th, 2005 12:55 PM
Jair Man!!! Eagles???

I have to admit i like the album Hotel California, but the greatest? Acording who?
That sux! It ruins with the American image, everybody will think you enjoy crap like that.

[Edited by Jair]
April 7th, 2005 12:58 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:
These assholes aren't even from California. Henley's from Texas & Fry is from Michigan. They give my state a bad fucking name!

Wow! An expert in Eagles trivia. You've just won a night out on the town in Henley's limo. Here we have a winner of the "Hangout with Henley" contest.
April 7th, 2005 01:37 PM
doo doo doo Dude Awesome! Do I get to visit Walden Pond?
April 7th, 2005 01:51 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:
Awesome! Do I get to visit Walden Pond?

Oh yeah! why not?
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
April 7th, 2005 01:54 PM
Joey
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:

Randy Meisner is from Nebraska

http://members.aol.com/ivyrain/randpep.htm
April 7th, 2005 02:11 PM
Phog Joe Walsh is from Kansas.
April 7th, 2005 04:06 PM
Saint Sway Ramones. Allman Brothers. Black Crowes.

thats who gets my vote.

there are bands playing at High School talent shows that could rock the Eagles right off the stage.

not to mention that the Eagles couldnt hold a candle to the 3 bands I mentioned above

I wouldnt even put them in the top 50
April 7th, 2005 09:23 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
#27 for teh Eagles & taht's only because they had a string of hit singles.

Or 1 big seller album...
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood