ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1967 TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Eagles take title of Greatest American Rock Band Return to archive Page: 1 2
April 5th, 2005 07:15 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Eagles take title of Greatest American Rock Band

By Thomas Lake
Morris News Service

The tribe has spoken. There are 63 losers and one survivor. We asked you to pick the greatest American rock band, and after six rounds and 336,904 ballots, you did.

We would insert a victory quote here, but they were apparently too busy bathing in money to call us back. The Eagles beat Creedence Clearwater Revival, 1,374 to 966, in the final round of the Battle of the American Bands, nearly 34 years after David Geffen found them in Los Angeles and set out to make them superstars.

Their triumph should be no surprise.

"They split the difference," said Guitar World editor-in-chief Brad Tolinski, "between rock and country."

The Eagles also captured the confusion of the '70s, said Rolling Stone contributing editor Anthony DeCurtis. "(They were) artistic documentarians of California as the end point of the American dream," he said. "There's kind of a richness to that story."

But they still struggle for respect.

In 1998, VH1 polled musicians and industry experts to make a list of the 100 greatest artists of rock and roll. The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin and Bob Dylan took the top five spots, setting the tone for a list dominated by British bands and American solo artists. The Beach Boys were the top American band at No. 13. The Doors were No. 20.

The Eagles were No. 23.

"The Eagles are a very easy band to hate," said Spin magazine senior writer Chuck Klosterman, "just because they're so massive, and consciously massive."

But their haters were clearly outnumbered in our tournament.

In their six matchups, the Eagles got 2.54 votes for every one their opponents got. They crushed Wilco, 6,328 to 779, in the first round. They downed Jefferson Airplane, 4,273 to 754, in the second. They silenced Guns 'N' Roses, 3,257 to 1,403, in the third.

Then they survived Lynyrd Skynyrd in the quarterfinals, 2,576 to 2,007, and limped past Aerosmith, 1,885 to 1,853 in the semis.

Some on the message boards expected the heavier-sounding Creedence to roll through the finals, but it wasn't to be.

"It doesn't have to be hard rock," wrote one Eagles fan, "to be rock."
April 5th, 2005 07:29 AM
Mr Hess CCR is better!
April 5th, 2005 08:06 AM
Irresistible-Lady i agree,Eagles don't rock!
April 5th, 2005 08:07 AM
Nellcote The Eagles force me to recall when the airlines
used to give out vomit bags on airplanes.
Further, those bags used to have advertisements
for Fotomat, where you would drop off your film
in the bag for developing if you did not use the
bag for it's intended purpose...
April 5th, 2005 08:24 AM
mac_daddy the f*cking eagles..?

jesus - i can think of so many american bands that are better, and that actually rock...

yes, ccr is one of them. the stooges come to mind, too...

hendrix was american, but if this is just a group thing, then the experience, or band of gypsies should be on the list...

the beach boys are more relevant, too...

i could type sh*t all day about this, but i have to go to work...

the eagles SUCK. and they arent even rock and roll!
April 5th, 2005 09:21 AM
polksalad69 ^^^ yup the eagles suck
April 5th, 2005 09:37 AM
FPM C10 Wait...aren't both the New York Dolls AND the Stooges American?

What the hell is wrong with this world???

I'd vote for Grand Funk freakin' Railroad before I'd vote for the Eagles.
April 5th, 2005 09:49 AM
sirmoonie Desperadooooo...why don't you...

Unreal. At some point the subjective element of music ceases to exists and you can objectively say a band sucks. The Eagles suck. No band has ever sucked so much for so long and become so famous in the process.

I'd vote for Twisted Sister and Bon Jovi over the Eagles as the greatest American band.
April 5th, 2005 10:07 AM
telecaster There I was....

This past Sunday afternoon, 82 degrees not a cloud in the sky, sitting at the "Tiki Bar" on the beach drinking a Fosters oil can listening to the band, minding my own business

A very good band BTW except for....

The opening notes of "Hotel California"

Is there any song on earth outside of "Macerena" that can ruin your day as much as "Hotel California?"

Is their any song that can kill a party quicker than "Hotel California?"

Why does God allow things like this to happen?

April 5th, 2005 10:13 AM
Joey

April 5th, 2005 10:15 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Well the Eagles may be a big bore but you have to admit that Don Henley is the coolest drummer on the planet. YOU HAVE TO ADMIT THAT...SO ADMIT IT.
April 5th, 2005 10:24 AM
Joey
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Well the Eagles may be a big bore but you have to admit that Don Henley is the coolest drummer on the planet. YOU HAVE TO ADMIT THAT...SO ADMIT IT.

I admit NOTHING except that I poop ...........and you ?!?!

Sassy Boy !!!!
April 5th, 2005 10:29 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Joey wrote:
Sassy Boy !!!!

Well, they say if you're going to lie make it a real big one!
April 5th, 2005 10:44 AM
egon i need a drink.

better make that a barrel.
April 5th, 2005 10:49 AM
Joey
quote:
egon wrote:
i need a drink.

better make that a barrel.

...............barrel of " Jaggerbombs " ?!?!
April 5th, 2005 10:52 AM
egon can you feel it?!
April 5th, 2005 11:13 AM
Nellcote TTM~One Charles Watts is COOL exemplified!
Period. There is no competition
April 5th, 2005 11:57 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
TTM~One Charles Watts is COOL exemplified!

Cool as Henley??? Damn. Shocking.
April 5th, 2005 12:18 PM
CraigP The Eagles truly suck and they are definately NOT rock!
I thought Aerosmith had that title. Hell, even they are better than the pussified Eagles.
April 5th, 2005 12:21 PM
Bloozehound ~~LOL~~
April 5th, 2005 12:27 PM
glencar I heard Peaceful Easy Feeling yesterday & I must say that's a rare Eagles song that doesn't bugger the shit out of me. But yes, Aerosmith is much better than the Eagles on so many levels.
April 5th, 2005 12:38 PM
Nellcote TTM~
While I understand you may like Henley....
Watts is in a class by himself
April 5th, 2005 12:41 PM
glencar He's just toying with you. BTW Charlie's solo stuff also outclasses Miss Henley's crap. Dirty Laundry indeed!
April 5th, 2005 02:48 PM
Moonisup Where's Bon Jovi?
April 5th, 2005 03:05 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Joey wrote:
I poop & I masturbate !

They call that "vulgar"....or at least "admitting" it is vulgar. Only the low born would admit that in public....and then probably only on the witness stand.
April 5th, 2005 04:01 PM
Joey " They call that "vulgar"....or at least "admitting" it is vulgar. "

<--------------- {{{ ? }}}
April 5th, 2005 04:03 PM
doo doo doo Dude In a word: badass!

April 5th, 2005 04:12 PM
Irresistible-Lady Who are they?
April 5th, 2005 06:54 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! What a load of bullshit! The Eagles certainly have a handful of good tunes, but by no means are they the best American band of all times. The set list is the same every time they play, as well as doing the songs the exact same way every time they play them. What a fucking bore. The greatest American band ever is The Grateful Dead, hands down. While they never had great success when it came to albums in the mainstream, they are by far the greatest touring band of all times. They've sold more tickets, did more shows and have had more sell out shows then any other band on the planet! No two shows were ever the same and you certainly got your money worth every time! Ticket prices were always very reasonable and they gave the fans exactly what they wanted. Tours year around, Spring Tour, Summer Tour, Fall Tour and a mini West coast tour every winter. They played for sometimes 7 or 8 hours in the early days, and up until the end they still were doing shows that lasted 3 1/2- 4 hours. As Jerry once said, "We are all pretty average musicians, but on those special nights when everything becomes magical, we're transformed from ordinary players to extraordinary players"! Their influence also goes deeper then any other American band. They literally started the entire "Jam" band movement and have spawned thousands of very talented bands and performers.
They also gave back to the fans what was theirs to begin with, the experience. They let the fans tape every show and freely trade them. They pioneered some of the greatest state of the art sound systems that were ever invented, including 1974's great "Wall Of Sound"! As for the songs, many people that aren't familiar with the band only know Truck'n and Touch of Grey, but to a music lover, it doesn't take very long to understand their huge body of work. There are so many great tunes it's unfuckin real! And when it came to covering other bands, they were one of the best in the business. They always paid their respect to the other greats by doing excellent cover versions of The Beatles, The Stones and Dylan to name a few. So, please tell me, why in the hell would ANYONE with an once of musical taste have the balls to call The Eagles, The Greatest American Band? What a load of shit! Whether you get The Dead or not, their legacy is undeniable. The good ole Grateful Dead IS the Greatest American band ever! You know it’s something very special when they have a style of music all their own, it's not just rock, or blues, bluegrass, country, world beat, jazz and all the other styles that they played. It's musical styles all rolled into one and simply called, Grateful Dead Music. Now that's something very special for sure when you have created an entirely new musical style! Long Live The Grateful Dead!
April 5th, 2005 07:42 PM
Soldatti IMO Creedence was the #1, the Eagles with luck Top 10.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood