ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1967 TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Need help for college essay on Let It Bleed Return to archive
April 4th, 2005 06:25 PM
rollingstoned58 Hey rocks offers I was wondering if anyone wanted to help me with an essay for a college class? Its on Let It Bleed (the album not song) and it's affects on society and what it reflects from society etc. etc. Just wondering if anybody had any first hand information I could use... If anybody has any memories of it coming out, any stories about it in the paper, or if you just want to review it for me, anything can help.

Thanks guys rock on
April 4th, 2005 06:27 PM
glencar Most stuff should be on line these days. Have you checked out rollingstone.com? I'm a bit young to remember when it actually came out but obviously it's one of the group's best works. Wish I could help more, sorry.
April 4th, 2005 06:33 PM
rollingstoned58 thanks anyway... I have a decent amount of online information but I am not allowed to use online sources, so I was looking for some first hand ones..
April 4th, 2005 06:47 PM
Bloozehound easy essay, I looked throught my files and found this one I wrote when I was in college, here you can copy it:

Let it Bleed Rocks!

YEAHHHH!

The End

and if that college prof starts talkin smack about F's, 5 pages in length, double spaced yada yada yada just bitchslap his pointy head off for not being a Stones fan
April 4th, 2005 06:56 PM
telecaster Not sure about the effect on society but some things to consider would be

1. Stonesian reponse to "Let It Be"
2. Midnight Rambler
3. First major release that had "breasts" in the lyrics

Racy stuff back then
April 4th, 2005 07:52 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
rollingstoned58 wrote:
Hey rocks offers I was wondering if anyone wanted to help me with an essay for a college class? Its on Let It Bleed (the album not song) and it's affects on society and what it reflects from society etc. etc. Just wondering if anybody had any first hand information I could use... If anybody has any memories of it coming out, any stories about it in the paper, or if you just want to review it for me, anything can help.

Thanks guys rock on

Didn't sell that many copies -- Soldatti? -- so I'm not sure it had any kind of "meta" effect on society. And before you turn in this paper, remember that "it's" is a contraction for "it is" and "its" is a possessive pronoun!
April 4th, 2005 08:10 PM
mac_daddy watch out - the grammar police are on your trail...

you can also talk about altamont - watch gimme shelter (criterion) for more infor about that...

as for tele's point about the racey lyrics - breasts are tame compared to some of the other stuff mentioned ("you can come all over me" comes instantly to mind)...

April 4th, 2005 08:20 PM
Mel Belli All right. Here's a few (possibly) constructive ideas: What about exploring the connection of an apocalyptic song like "Gimme Shelter" with the Vietnam war? Or the raw, violence-laden sexuality of "Midnight Rambler" with the dark side of "free love"?

'Fraid I'm not old enough to give you a first-hand account of the album or the era...
April 4th, 2005 08:26 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
All right. Here's a few (possibly) constructive ideas: What about exploring the connection of an apocalyptic song like "Gimme Shelter" with the Vietnam war? Or the raw, violence-laden sexuality of "Midnight Rambler" with the dark side of "free love"?

nicely done.
April 4th, 2005 08:27 PM
telecaster Also, at the time the album cover, when there was a thing called album covers, was considered "shocking"

April 4th, 2005 08:37 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Also, at the time the album cover, when there was a thing called album covers, was considered "shocking"

i forgot about that - i think it was the messy side (back) that pissed people off, and i have no idea why..?
April 4th, 2005 08:47 PM
Bloozehound here's another cheat sheet

Rip This Joint: the Stories Behind Every Song by S. Appleford gives a great in depth review of the album & songs, and the inspirations and themes behind them ~ good stuff
April 4th, 2005 08:52 PM
telecaster
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

i forgot about that - i think it was the messy side (back) that pissed people off, and i have no idea why..?

Macdaddy I don't remember either why it was considered so bad, now it is funny

Wasn't it like a wedding cake/pizza/turntable and something else?

Gansta' Rap has nothing on us

Great album BTW
April 4th, 2005 08:59 PM
rollingstoned58 Thanks for the help so far guys.... more is welcome

and Ill try to fix my grammar in the paper (not likely)
April 4th, 2005 09:02 PM
glencar Use spelchik!
April 4th, 2005 09:26 PM
kath i'm not sure what you want to hear. i am certainly old enough, and i rmember that album coming out very well. and i remember the "orgasmic" midnight rambler being very "shocking [read "stimulating"]". i remember the concern about "you've got the silver" being a keith solo. he wouldn't dare do more, would he? and i remember it being played everywhere i went, everybody was playing on their home steros when you dropped by for a smoke....and parties...it was the number one album at parties....

terrific album, and won a lot of people over to them who had sort of been on the fence prior to its release....
April 4th, 2005 09:48 PM
Soldatti It knocked Abbey Road at #1 in UK for a week (Abbey Road spent 17 wks at #1, Let It Bleed only one)
UK Date: 20/12/1969 - Run: *1*-2-2-4-3-4-4-7-8-15-14-11-12-24-22-37-34-11-13-19-19-35-20-0-42-52-63-61-41-0-0-0-73 (29-23c/9/1 wks)

In US reached #3, here the Billboard's Top 3 albums for the last week of the 60's in US:
1. Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin
2. Abbey Road, Beatles
3. Let It Bleed, Rolling Stones

and the US Top 3 for the first week of the 70's was:
1. Abbey Road, Beatles
2. Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin
3. Let It Bleed, Rolling Stones

US Date: 06/12/1969 - Run: 199-29- 5-*3*- (4 wsf)
03/01/1970: 3-4-5-5-4-5-6-6-18-17-17-20-21-26-28-33-47-47-44-65-65-67-78-81-93-97-120-122-147-158-153-149-168-165-190 (39/10 wks)
Re #01: 27/09/1980 184-182-182-177-186 (5 wks)
Total # of weeks: 44-39c (Top 10: 10, Top 20: 14 Top 40: 19)
[Edited by Soldatti]
April 5th, 2005 10:47 AM
HomerJRichards There's also 'The Rolling Stones It's Only Rock n Roll - the story behind every song' by Steve Appleford. That's pretty good too. I didn't know until i read the chapter on Let it Bleed that the Boston Strangler referred to in Midnight Rambler was a real person - a nutter by the name of Albert DeSalvo.
April 6th, 2005 10:48 AM
rollingstoned58 Thanks for all your help everyone.
April 6th, 2005 11:02 AM
Joey
quote:
rollingstoned58 wrote:

Hey rocks offers I was wondering if anyone wanted to help me with an essay for a college class?

No !!!!

NINE !!!!!

NINEA !!!!!!!!!!

NYET ( sic ) !!!!!!
April 6th, 2005 11:54 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
telecaster wrote:

Macdaddy I don't remember either why it was considered so bad, now it is funny

Wasn't it like a wedding cake/pizza/turntable and something else?

Gansta' Rap has nothing on us

Great album BTW

There's also a tire. I wasn't aware that the cover was all that controversial. Would love to hear more about this.

Have you seen if your college library has Rolling Stone magazine on Microfiche? The Greil Marcus review of Let It Bleed is a pretty first hand snapshot of how at least one peer felt about the record and is one of Marcus's better reviews. Unfortunately I don't have a date on the issue, but it is definitely October or November, 1969 . . . perhaps someone around here knows the exact date.

April 6th, 2005 12:03 PM
Zeeta ...and for novelty value and this won't get you anymarks for your essay, but the cake on the cover was actually made by celebrity chef and chairman of Norich City Football Club, Delia Smith - www.deliaonline.com/

Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood