ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1967 TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Paul Westerberg (ns) Return to archive
April 4th, 2005 01:25 PM
Factory Girl Hey all,

I might get tix to see him in a club. I don't know his music, so please educate me! TIA!
April 4th, 2005 03:57 PM
GimmeExile FG, I may see him at the 9:30 Club as well. I'm sure you've heard of the Replacements, right? Well, his legendary work with them has sustained his solo career for 15 years--that's how good it is. I don't know his recent solo work, but his early 90s stuff was great, especially his work on the "Singles" soundtrack...He's your basic garage rock sound, raspy voice, catchy hook...it never gets old in my book.

Are you going to the show without having heard anything by him?
April 4th, 2005 04:20 PM
twicks1 Here are the best solo Paul discs, IMO:

14 Songs

Mono (by Paul's alter-ego, Grandpaboy). It's practically an
X-pensive Winos album.

Come Feel Me Tremble

You won't go wrong with any of these.
April 4th, 2005 04:21 PM
Joey
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Hey all,

I might get tix to see him in a club. I don't know his music, so please educate me! TIA!

I turned down a chance to see him in Kansas City last month and lost " THE SOURCE " in the process .

Shiver .........................................

" A young Man NEEDS his ' Source ' Ronnie ! "

Sprazzy & Fritzkees ! ™
April 4th, 2005 04:40 PM
Mel Belli He's put out five albums in the last three years, and I think three of them -- "Stereo," "Come Feel Me Tremble" and "Folker" -- are better than his early-'90s solo work and arguably as good as the Replacements.

Westerberg is a true Keith disciple ... I've never seen him and will be at the 9:30 with bells on.
April 4th, 2005 05:04 PM
GimmeExile
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
He's put out five albums in the last three years, and I think three of them -- "Stereo," "Come Feel Me Tremble" and "Folker" -- are better than his early-'90s solo work and arguably as good as the Replacements.

Westerberg is a true Keith disciple ... I've never seen him and will be at the 9:30 with bells on.

Wow, Mel! Now that's what I call a powerful statement. I'll have to get some of his latest work...Nice to see other DC area fans.
[Edited by GimmeExile]
April 4th, 2005 05:47 PM
glencar I like that "Dyslexic Heart" song!
April 4th, 2005 08:13 PM
Mel Belli That was PW trying to find his feet again. He didn't do that, I don't think, 'till he quit trying to "make it" and just retreated to his Minneapolis basement.
April 4th, 2005 08:29 PM
mac_daddy well paul w certainly has more integrity than former bandmate tommy s - who is once again in guns n roses...

and i liked the album with "little rabbit" and then the louder one by granpaboy...

his recent gig here got solid reviews. go check him out - he is fun to see him live...
[Edited by mac_daddy]
April 5th, 2005 07:59 AM
Factory Girl Yep, I'm Going to the 9:30 club as a Paul W. virgin....rotfl. See you all there!

PM if you wish to meet for a drink!
April 5th, 2005 08:03 PM
Sir Stonesalot Paul is great live.

FG...a hint for you. Paul has been putting a couch and overstuffed chair on the stage with him, and he'll let people from the audience sit up there with him.

I REALLY like the Granpaboy album "Deadman Shake" which came out with "Come Feel Me Tremble". Both are fantastic, and "Folker" is pretty good too. Do NOT expect great production values...Paul plays all the instruments, and does the recording and mixing in his basement. It has a very tangible Exile feel to it.

FG, if you wanna check out Paul before the show(and GO to the show!), he put out a DVD for "Come Feel Me Tremble" that is filled with great bootleg video(and see if you can count all the Keith references). You can usually get it for between $10-$15.00.

Do not be shocked when Paul forgets how the chords go, or if he forgets lyrics, or if he gets verses all jumbled up. That is typical for him.
April 5th, 2005 08:41 PM
Mel Belli He's got a band with him on this tour, so I'm not sure he's doing the couch thing anymore.
April 6th, 2005 07:41 AM
Factory Girl I have tix!!
April 6th, 2005 08:37 AM
polksalad69 Good to hear he's doing something decent these days. It seemed too much drink and like macdaddy said, trying to "make it" ruined him back then. I always thought the latter Replacements and his early solo stuff was very lame.
April 6th, 2005 09:23 PM
Sir Stonesalot Wait...Paul has a band?

No couch?

Who's in his band?
April 6th, 2005 10:00 PM
Nasty Habits While I am not a huge fan of the 14 Songs LP the tour that followed it was spectacular, at least the first show I saw at Mississippi Nights in St. Louis was. He had Tommy Keene on lead guitar and the energy of the show was great. To this day it remains one of my top ten shows ever.

Three months later I saw him collapse onstage in Columbia, Missouri because he threw his back out. Had to be carried off stage.

Always an adventure.

April 7th, 2005 11:07 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Westerberg is a true Keith disciple ..

word.

Westerberg is one of the cool Keith clones. And probably the most talented singer/songwriter of the bunch.

I like his solo stuff even better than with the Replacements

DEFINATELY go see him. No true Keith fan would ever be dissapointed with Westerberg. He's a must see!
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood