ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

We gotta move
We gotta move
We gotta move, chile
We gotta move

More later...
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Shine A Light" Press Conference & Premiere, New York 30th March 2008 - Photos & Reports Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
31st March 2008 05:56 AM
PartyDoll MEG SV..I knew you'd figure out a way to get that camera out!!

What an amazing experience for both you and Riffy

Thanks for sharing...
31st March 2008 06:09 AM
LadyJane Fantastic pics and stories. I echo the sentiments that Riffy and SV did us proud.

SV you look stunning, as always, and the pics are amazing.
Riffy you sly fox.

Now for this:

I certainly hope this in encased in glass and kept somewhere very safe. Very smart move to grab that glass.

Congrats you two. I feel like I was there.

LJ.
31st March 2008 06:33 AM
SweetVirginia Riffy is going to drink out of the glass this weekend....without washing it first, I'll wager.
31st March 2008 08:01 AM
PartyDoll MEG Lots of news articles. Here is one, until we hear from OUR Reporter Riffy...

Jagger lets slip he pulled Scorsese's cinematic cord

Shine A Light; Aged kings of rock spar with their director

Bob Thompson, National Post
Published: Monday, March 31, 2008

NEW YORK - Martin Scorsese seemed slightly bemused as the kings of rock 'n' roll held court at the Palace Hotel yesterday. Scorsese and the Rolling Stones gathered here to talk about their common ground, rock documentary Shine A Light, which opens on Friday. But they were obviously from two different worlds as the movie and the news conference show.

There was the meticulously detailed Oscar-winning filmmaker Scorsese, and the rollicking Stones -- still churlish Mick Jagger, sly Keith Richards, jack-of-all trades Ron Wood and stoic timekeeper Charlie Watts.

"That's the nature of what it is," said Scorsese referring to the colliding demands of filming and staging a rock show. "You have fun with the tension and the humour of it."

The conflicts between the director and Jagger over the placement of the 16 cameras filming the event weren't staged. "It was totally real," confirmed the singer, smirking at the memory.

Scorsese said he had "a compulsion" to define the 2006 performances from the Stones' A Bigger Bang tour at Manhattan's Beacon Theatre interspersed with backstage antics, contemporary interviews and TV interview footage from the band's early days.

At the Shine A Light premiere at the Ziegfeld Theatre last night, friends and fans also got to see a more revealing take on each of the Stones, not to mention a young Jagger predicting during a 1960s chat show that the group just might last a few more years.

And like Scorsese's The Last Waltz, a farewell concert tribute for The Band, Shine A Light has guest artists to add some sugar and spice to the proceedings.

Buddy Guy's stirring rendition of Muddy Waters' tune Champagne and Reefer with Jagger is memorable, while White Stripe's Jack White tends to be more subservient with his teaming up on Loving Cup. Christina Aguilera and Jagger exercise their innuendo with a rendition of Live With Me.

And it's not often you get laughs with concert documentaries but Shine A Light has more than a few, including Scorsese fretting over the set list at the beginning and former president Bill Clinton showing up with his awkward well-wishers before the show starts.

Earlier at the press conference, Jagger said he thought the Buddy Guy duet "was one of the high points of Shine A Light." Added Richards, "Why do you think I gave him one of my guitars?"

Scorsese noted that "every song is like a character" in the movie. And the director knows all about that, having used Stones tunes often in his other features, including Gimme Shelter at pivotal times in Goodfellas and The Departed. So is that why the Stones hired Scorsese? "We didn't chose Marty," Richards said. "Marty chose us."

Meanwhile, The Stones revealed their wit with reporters, just as they had in the movie.

When Jagger was asked what kind of vitamins he takes to get so energetic on stage, Richards chimed in. "If we told you that, you'd all be on it," he said grinning.

Another reporter wanted to know if the band would continue touring into their seventies? "That's only five years away," replied Richards chuckling.

Toronto-based Michael Cohl, the film's producer and mastermind behind the multi-million-dollar Stones tours, confirmed the band travels to London to do the same sort of promotion tour on Wednesday for the opening of Shine A Light.

Before the press conference, Cohl explained the Stones put the concert movie in motion when they heard Scorsese might be interested in the project. "I thought it would be a great creative combination," said Cohl, who also appears briefly in some scenes.

So what does the future hold for the Stones? Cohl wouldn't say whether the group will tour again. They've already criss-crossed the globe "six or seven times" since 1989. But he did hint at something more to come. "We've always thought of doing different stuff," he said.

31st March 2008 08:10 AM
Mel Belli Keith should stay gray.
31st March 2008 08:56 AM
Jeep

31st March 2008 09:05 AM
PartyDoll MEG Yes, I do like Keith with his gray hair, Mel!!
31st March 2008 09:06 AM
Mr Jurkka Very nice pictures! They all look very more healty and better every day!

31st March 2008 09:14 AM
Jeep

31st March 2008 09:42 AM
gimmekeef Is there a more distinguished and classy guy than Charlie?.The engine looks strong my friends!!!!
31st March 2008 10:04 AM
luxury1 What fun photos! Must have been a blast, Riffy and SV. Looks like Lisa has acquired Billy Preston's wig...man, she can pull off any look--what a cool, talented chick.
I can't wait to see this film--IMAX has made me dizzy in the past, but I am going to give it another try on Friday....
Fantastic reviews all around for the boys in the band and Mr. Scorsese--thank god he pushed them to film a small venue show--it tells me he is truly a fan of the band/music.
31st March 2008 10:11 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Yes, I do like Keith with his gray hair, Mel!!

Have you ever noticed that when Bruce plays a charity event or otherwise appears in public in a nonperforming capacity that he slicks his hair back? ... Much prefer the wild look -- lately I've been referring to his current 'do as a "pouf-over."
31st March 2008 10:12 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Jeep wrote:

Jeep, I think I love you...LOL. Stunning photos all, but THIS one is my favorite. Grey and tan - that's how Keith looks best - and that sly grin...
31st March 2008 10:19 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Have you ever noticed that when Bruce plays a charity event or otherwise appears in public in a nonperforming capacity that he slicks his hair back? ... Much prefer the wild look -- lately I've been referring to his current 'do as a "pouf-over."

Ha Ha.. Oh I much prefer the wild look to the "Marlon Brando" myself. Nothing better than mussy hair that needs to be straightened up
31st March 2008 10:27 AM
GotToRollMe I knew you'd get some pics, SV! Bravo to both you and Riffy - nicely done!
31st March 2008 10:31 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
I knew you'd get some pics, SV! Bravo to both you and Riffy - nicely done!

Didn't take ya long to steal that photo for yours, GTRM!!
31st March 2008 10:52 AM
Martha Thanks for the fantastic photos to those of you who posted them.

Congrats SV and Riffhard! I am thrilled for you both.

Can't wait to see this film. We caught Etta James and the Roots Band at The Paramount on Saturday night and they kept running the Shine A Light trailer on the big screen before the show started. I am so ready to see this film!!!

Keep on rockin'!

xxoo,
Martha
31st March 2008 11:03 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Didn't take ya long to steal that photo for yours, GTRM!!

Hell no, MEG! I was on that quicker than Mike Cohl on a dollar bill!
31st March 2008 01:01 PM
Jeep Video :

Rolling Stones launch movie
Rolling Stones launch movie

[Edited by Jeep]
31st March 2008 02:00 PM
SweetVirginia Jeep, you are the king of all media...thank you!
31st March 2008 02:30 PM
luxury1 RObin Quivers, of the Howard Stern Show, Sirius Satellite, gave it a 4 out of 4 stars. She said she felt like jumping out of her seat after each song and applauding. It put the audience on stage with the band-- like nothing she has ever experienced in a concert film.
31st March 2008 02:45 PM
LadyJane I hate to admit it, but Lurch really does look good.
She has a somewhat softer look to her.
She needs to smile more. If I were on Mick's arm, I'd sure as hell would be grinning.

LJ.

31st March 2008 02:46 PM
SweetVirginia Luxy, my face hurt from smiling after the first 20 minutes. It was just that much of a joy to watch.

Are you coming to the Shidoobee IMAX get-together on Friday?
31st March 2008 02:47 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I hate to admit it, but Lurch really does look good.
She has a somewhat softer look to her.
She needs to smile more. If I were on Mick's arm, I'd sure as hell would be grinning.

LJ.

I think she had a little more color to her skin (maybe they got away to a sunny spot lately) plus she had lots of eye makeup on, which really helped. She's super slender, and she smiled a lot. Basically, not at all what I expected!
31st March 2008 02:49 PM
LadyJane
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

I think she had a little more color to her skin (maybe they got away to a sunny spot lately) plus she had lots of eye makeup on, which really helped. She's super slender, and she smiled a lot. Basically, not at all what I expected!

SV, looks like she's sportin' that same Diamond thingy Nicole Kidman wore to the Oscars. Am I right???

LJ.
31st March 2008 02:51 PM
SweetVirginia Yes...both her bracelet and her necklace looked just like that contraption Kidman had on.
31st March 2008 03:32 PM
Thru and Thru
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Jeep, I think I love you...LOL. Stunning photos all, but THIS one is my favorite. Grey and tan - that's how Keith looks best - and that sly grin...

This one's my favorite too, WOW!!! Just set it as my new wallpaper...
31st March 2008 04:37 PM
open-g Great pics & stories

thanks all around
31st March 2008 05:26 PM
Bitch My story outside of the Ziegfeld.

OK I made it to the Ziegfeld just to hang around and catch a glimpse of the Premiere scene. Had a quick chat with Riffy and his workmate, and hung around on line with SV and Mr.SV until it was their turn to go inside. Then I headed across the street to hang out with a few Shidoobee friends. All together there were only about a dozen fans hanging outside the theatre, and some nosy people on the street passing by, but almost everyone there was invited or press. So we stood outside in the cold for about an hour until MARTIN SCORSESE arrived, he turned to the crowd and gave us a nice proud looking grin and a wave! MICK's MB pulled up next. Out slipped L'Wren and as much as I despise her, she looks beautiful in person. Lucky lady. MICK jumped out full of energy and vitality, and when I yelled "MICKKKKKKK' he gave a big smile and a nice wave to the fans waiting for him! Next KEEF pulled up and went in without a wave, as did Charlie. Ronnie got there last minute and rushed in with a van full of people, and Jo was glowing. She is gorgeous in person. Darryl, Blondie & Bernard all gave us a liesurely wave when we yelled out to them! Lisa's hair is amazing, but i would HATE to sit behind her in the movie her hairdo was HUGE! Patty Boyd pulled up in a limo, lots of important looking people arriving in fancy cars and expensive clothes and jewelery. Al Maysles was with Michele Jagger (on Shidoobee) as his guest, she works with him. I saw one other Shidoobee guy who got in somehow. Oh man I was so envious of these fvckers getting in to the premiere! I saw MICK's son James and his posse, and this was the first time I saw James, he is fabulous! Long and lean with a face similar to MICK's but all his own, young man in his 20's, ah what a life! Anyway it was good to see the boys even if it was only for a few minutes! One hour standing in the cold and they pulled up so fast I didnt have my camera ready, so no pics, just the story, lol. GOD I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES! Bonus: I got a free parking spot right around the corner, and normal parkling lots charge around $50 so I was lucky. Not as lucky as the 980 invited guests and press tho! But in my next life, I'm coming back as a reporter!
31st March 2008 05:26 PM
jaggergurl
quote:
Jeep wrote:

this one is interesting it is almost as if Keith's arm is around Mick from the poster behind him!!

Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)