ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Midnight Rambler at the B-Stage
Hartford Civic Center March 28, 1999
by Mrs. Throbby

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: WHY? Return to archive
04-05-03 08:15 AM
Honky Tonk Man I have been wondering for a while about the resaon for the Stones to be playing only 20 or 19 songs since they left the States. Evan in America and Canada on this tour, they have only been playing 21 songs per show, 22 occasionally. Some moan about how they drop a couple of songs for the Europeon Legs, but that doesn't bother me. Im more curious as to why the Stones are just playing shorter and shorter setlists. Didnt they play 25 + songs on the Steel Wheels tour?

Most bands today, only tend to play for 90 minutes or so, the Stones do longer shows. We should be greatful for that, but could anyone here shed some light on this topic?

Is it because the boys couldn't cope with a longer show, or because they purely think they can get away with it?

Its not a HUGE problem with me. It hasent really being discussed here snd i thought it would make an interesting thread.

Ive put a smiley face by the thread topic, because im very happy with this tour!

Alex
04-05-03 10:54 AM
luxury1 Maybe the songs are a little longer--they are still doing 2-hr shows right? But I think Steel Wheels and VL, Bridges and NS were closer to 2-plus hrs, am I correct?? This tour also seems to have more dates packed in, thus tighter set-lists? I am not a conscientious note-taker, so this is purely my speculation. I am sure someone on this board will enlighten us with exact details (now, where is that BIll Wyman when we need him?)
04-05-03 11:00 AM
marko Songs are now more like album versions.They played a lot
faster in 1989-1990.Also in voodoo lounge tour.
I think 23 songs would be the best.in 1989 some of the shows
were only 2h 20mins,or longer.Mostly they were 2h 15mins.
Voodoo lounge 2h 15min or 2h 10min.In my opinion shows are
tightest around 2hours long,and 2h 10mins.yep,thats the best
length.
04-05-03 11:42 AM
Honky Tonk Man Ahh okay, i see what you are both saying. I do have some shows from those previous 3 tours, but have never really thought about it. Im guessing they must of just packed the songs in tighter. Maybe they were just shorter versions. Thats what i think. But then again, why not do that now? I reckon 22 songs would be ideal, but 20 or 21 is pretty cool too. 19 is NOT!

Maybe im just coming across as a moanin' minnie or a bit of a nit-picker, but 19 songs just doesn't seem right to me. Also, its not fair. In my opinion anyway

Alex
04-05-03 01:01 PM
marko I agree 19 is not enough,BUT,remember this
72 15 songs only
76 18-19 song only
78 18-19 songs as well!

so all in the past wasn�t so great.
04-05-03 10:48 PM
BILL PERKS DEPENDS ON WHAT THEY ARE PLAYING.SONGS LIKE RAMBLER,YCAGWYW,CANT YOU HEAR ME KNOCKIN ARE ALL 7 MIN PLUS SONGS.SYMPATHY AND SHELTER ARE ALSO LONG SONGS.THEY ALSO HAVE STRETCHED OUT THE BAND INTRO BIT A BIT TOO LONG IMO.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003