ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Midnight Rambler at the B-Stage
Hartford Civic Center March 28, 1999
by Mrs. Throbby

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: It's only rock 'n' roll - Thailand is ready to rock Return to archive
04-04-03 11:24 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl It's only rock 'n' roll
Story by ONSIRI PRAVATTIYAGUL

Mick Jagger talks to `Outlook' about touring, Chinese Opera, keeping fit and the eagerly awaited, upcoming Rolling Stones gig in Thailand

How does one come up with interesting questions for Mick Jagger, knighted last year for his ``services to popular music''? How to top that questioner on TV who asked if he prefers boxers or briefs?

What to say to the legendary, notorious frontman _ famed for all kind of rock debauchery _ of a rock n'roll band that's kept the world at its feet for 40 years!

These days, the Stones sell out stadium concerts and are the highest grossing act in music history. Before becoming the wrinklies they now are, they created the prototype for hard rock, through their consummate brand of blues-based rock'n' roll. Jagger provided the blueprint for the sexy, bad-boy lead singer phenomenon while Keith Richards majestically willed and licked his way through umpteen guitars, complemented nicely by Ron Wood since 1976. Proper Charlie Watts, always away from the spotlight, banged away dutifully yet beatifically on his drums.

Over the years the ageing gentlemen have encountered internal conflicts, drug addictions, a dead bandmate, a murdered concertgoer, near-fatal on stage electrocution (Richards' rubber-soled Hush Puppies saved him), failed marriages, sales slumps and constant media attention _ and they've emerged winners.

Their hard-hitting, honest music about devils and cocaine, plus their longevity, has impacted on generations of music lovers.

So what could you possibly ask that hasn't been asked before? What could you possibly say to a man whose every move is always being recorded and reported?

Apparently, ``hello, how are you doing?'' would do.

Jagger, calling from Singapore for a 10 minute interview, sounded surprisingly cheery, content and just charming, considering his jam-packed phone interview schedule and how his shows have been cancelled in China and Hong Kong.

``We've never played in Asia (except for) Japan, you know. So we were gonna play quite a few cities this time. But we didn't go, in the end, to China and Hong Kong because of all these outbreaks of Sars. They wouldn't allow us to go, basically,'' he said.

When asked for confirmation of the Thursday (April 10) gig in Thailand, Jagger simply replied with a firm ``yeah'' and a definite nod in his voice.

Due to last minute cancellations, Jagger and Co. got a chance to enjoy their free time in Singapore for about a week. Jagger even seemed delighted to be cooped up on the small island; maybe that's a sign of really getting old? After all, he's no spring chicken. The man is turning 60 in July.

``We went out a bit to a couple of places. I went to Chinese operas. I went to visit some shrines and I went to see outdoor dancing ... I have a few friends here so they've been taking me around a bit.''

Sounds like a nice retirement vacation, eh?

It wasn't quite so sedate in the past, when the wild life led by the guys was legendary. It all started when Jagger and Richards met as schoolmates in Dartford Maypole County Primary School, went their separate ways for ten years and then reconvened through a mutual friend in 1960 while Richards was studying at Sidcup Art School and Jagger at the London School of Economics. The basis for the rekindled friendship was a mutual love of R&B and especially the music of Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters and Bo Diddley.

The first line-up of the Rolling Stones, a name borrowed from a Muddy Waters song, included Jagger, Richards, Brian Jones (guitars) and Ian Stewart (piano) who was later forced to leave the band. The band was formed in 1962.

Bill Wyman (bass) and Charlie Watts joined a little later and the band began a residency at the Crawdaddy Club in London, which more or less earned them a record deal with Decca Records.

The first ever single was a cover version of Chuck Berry's Come On which shot to number 21 on the chart. Two more cover singles aroused more interest in the Stones as a worthwhile adversary of the clean-cut, mop-top crew that went by the name of the Beatles.

Then came the eponymous debut in 1964 and the Stones had arrived in the most spectacular way both in the UK and the US.

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction saw the Stones becoming even bigger. Jagger and Richards had grown into songwriters. Sarcastic lyrics and big riffs set them apart from the crowd.

1967 turned out to be a bit of a bad year for the Stones as Jagger and Richards were apprehended at one point for drug possessionand Jones was arrested three months later for the same charge.

This signalled the `` sex, drug and rock n' roll'' lifestyle which would continue for years to come. But after long ageing disgracefully, the band seem to have got it together now. One can't help but wonder what life is like for them these days, compared to the ``colourful'' past.

``Colourful? That's a good word! Euphemism!'' Jagger said, laughing loudly, then mumbled about his ``sins''. ``What do I do every day now? It depends, you know. If it's a show day, I get very disciplined and just concentrate on that. If it's not a show day, you can do everything you want. You can have a nice day looking around at things or you can maybe go out at night and party a little bit,'' he said, before being interrupted, possibly by his assistant Tony.

Back in the old days of the psychedelic, flower-power era, it was all floaty party time for awhile. Then the Stones got back into rock form with Jumpin' Jack Flash from the Beggars Banquet album in 1968.

A year after, Jones left the band, citing artistic differences. Less than a month later he was found dead in a swim-ming pool in an unfortunate incident described by a coroner as ``death by misadventure''.

Mick Taylor came into the picture as a replacement and Jagger began to hang out with the jetsetters in the 1970s, marrying Nicaraguan model, Bianca, who's now an activist. The decade saw the Stones coming out with a legendary, milestone double album Exile on Main St.

In 1976 Ron Wood, former guitarist with the Faces, replaced Taylor. The 70s were productive for the Stones but critical support began to wane as punk and new wave became the talk of the town rather than good old hard rock.

Start Me Up in 1981 salvaged the band's reputation but in the mid-1980s famous conflicts between Jagger and Richards stalled the band's progress. Apparently the little contretemps carry on to this day, but mostly in a careful, loving manner instead of with the old enmity.

``This is beyond us, darling,'' Richards once claimed.

Making matters worse for the band, Jagger poured his energies into a solo career while in 1989 Richards also released his own critically acclaimed solo album, Talk Is Cheap. Jagger has released four solo albums to day _ the latest was Goddess in the Doorway, released in 2001. ``It's a lot easier,'' said Jagger of working solo in an interview with dotmusic.com two years ago. ``You don't have to be beholden to the committee ... It's just a different kind of experience.''

Fortunately, the Stones got over their differences. Steel Wheels was released in 1989. The huge supporting tour grossed over $140 million.

That was the start of the phenomenon in which Stones shows started being attended by all kinds of fans _ old ones, new ones and fans-in-the-making. The crowds are as diverse as it gets.

``Maybe because we've been around for such a long time! People bring their younger brothers or sisters and, you know, sometimes they bring their little children. They bring babies or sometimes they bring their parents, I don't know! All different age groups come to our shows. You know, the more the merrier and all are welcome,'' said Jagger.

``In the beginning, it was kind of distracting but I'm used to it now.''

But heavy touring may have become too much for some _ Bill Wyman left the band as the 90s were dominated by world tours in support of Grammy winning Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon.

It's a wonder how they can keep on playing the same tunes night in and night out. Isn't it?

``Yeah, (but) I still get excited because we really like to do shows ... Even if, sometimes, I don't feel like it, by the time you get out there, you get in front of the audience, you think `okay' and then you have a really good time and enjoy the show,'' said Jagger.

But performing is not the only thing that keeps the Stones and Mick Jagger going. ``I like doing shows but I also like to be creative in other ways, like writing. I like songwriting and I like just playing guitar and singing in the studio,'' he said.

The must-have compilation album, Forty Licks, came out last year and the Stones immediately announced another world tour to support the album. Despite cracks and jokes about ageing bodies, ``laughter lines'' and the possibility of on-stage fatalities, the band marched on.

As a matter of fact, the Stones, especially Sir Mick, seem to be in good shape.

``Well, before the tour started, I really did a lot of work. I did a lot of dancing and practicing. I did a lot of bicycling and all that sort of thing. But once the tour started, doing three or four shows a week is, you know, sort of enough. I just get along on that.''

``I'm not particularly manic about it. I've found it a bit boring to be obsessive about that.''

The Licks tour is taking the Stones to Thailand for the first time ever, despite numerous efforts to get them here over the the last 20 years. Jagger, however, is no stranger to these shores.

``I've been there a few times (as a holidaymaker), yeah. I don't go every year. Some of my friends go every year to the beach and all. But I've just been a few times ... I've been quite recently. I've been around a lot there,'' he said.

But certainly never for a show. As the anticipation is running high in Thailand, the wide-mouthed rocker doesn't expect much in return. He just wants everyone to have a good time.

``I mean, I think it's gonna be a really fun show on the night. Bangkok's got a good reputation and it's a good place to go. I think people will enjoy the evening and we're looking forward to it very much.''

As he wrapped up the short interview with Outlook, Jagger revealed that his friends were also finishing other phone interviews. ``And then we're gonna go out for a little drink.''

Sounds like fun?

``It is gonna be fun,'' he said before bidding his goodbyes.

The Rolling Stones show will be held on Thursday, April 10, at Impact Arena Muangthong Thani. Doors open at 7:30pm. and show starts at 8:30pm. Tickets are available at all Thaiticketmaster booths and cost 8,000, 5,000, 3,000 and 1,500 baht. Call 02-204-9999 or log on to www.thaiticketmaster.com for more information.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003