ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Midnight Rambler at the B-Stage
Hartford Civic Center March 28, 1999
by Mrs. Throbby

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Happy birthday Muddy Waters! Return to archive
04-04-03 07:52 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Happy Birthday Muddy Waters

McKinley Morganfield April 4, 1915 - April 30, 1983

In addition to his big influence in blues and rock, his song "Rollin' Stone" aka "Catfish Blues" (NOT "Rollin' Stone Blues") inspired the boys to name their group.

He made a great cover of "Let's spend together" in his great album "Electric Mud" in 1968

Backstage at Soldiers Field, Chicago 1978 with Willie Dixon and his daughter.
Thanks Mac!

Mick Jagger -- Muddy Waters was the focus of the Chicago blues. He had a great sound.

Eric Clapton -- Muddy Waters meant a great deal to me and his music still does mean more than anyone else's. I don't know why. It's the first that got to me and it still is the most important music in my life today, the music of Muddy Waters.

Visit his official site
04-04-03 08:03 AM
sirfito Happy Birthday, Muddy Waters!
Thank you for all your music and all you've done!
And thank you for give us The Rolling Stones!
Best, Fito

P.S.: I have "Electric Mud" too, great album. I like very much his version of "Let's Spend The Night Together".
(At the end of the 4th song appears a litte bit instrumental of "My Girl").
04-04-03 08:16 AM
Zeeta Happy B day to the father!

His legend will always live on.

Matt
04-04-03 08:39 AM
Nellcote Fortunate enough to have seen Muddy Waters, March of 1979, Paradise Theatre, Boston. Right around the time "Hard Again" was issued. Truly, one of the best shows I've ever seen. What a great, humble, electric performer.

Thanks for the link to the web site...

Ride On Baybee, Ride On!!!
[Edited by Nellcote]
04-04-03 10:37 AM
T&A Nellcote - I was also fortunate enough to see Muddy twice - once in 1980 and then early in '81 - both in Portland OR. First show was one of the great highlights of my life - second show was a lowlight - he had by then fired his all-star band and replaced them with a bunch of hacks. And to add further insult, he never plugged in his guitar. I prefer to remember him, however, by his former greatness. He was THE king of the blues....
04-04-03 10:52 AM
parmeda A great man, with a raw gift of his craft...

Chicago misses you, Muddy...but we keep your spirit alive.
04-04-03 11:13 AM
Doxa Yeah, what a great man. Without whom not.

But guys, do you really think that "Electric Muddy" is a great album? I think is a bit too much an "up to date" attempt, too rock and psychedelic (just listen those unbelievable guitars, huh.). Interesting experiment yes, but not great; in Muddy�s incredible career it marks something like "Satanic Majesties" to the Stones.

Doxa
04-04-03 11:40 AM
T&A EM is a horrible album, as is the one Chess/Cadet forced Wolf to do around this time to sound 'hip.' Both were atrocities to these two great bluesman. They both hated the experience and felt humiliated in the process.
04-04-03 11:43 AM
littleredrooster Happy Birthday, Muddy!

We share the same birthday!

Happy Birthday Roostah!
04-04-03 12:53 PM
Martha I got to see an exhibit on Muddy's life at the Rock Hall a couple years ago.

I love how he got his name...from his Mother or Aunt or Grandma because he played in the water outdoors and got all muddy...a little muddy baby.....LOL Very nice exhibit.

Those of you who got to see him perform live...I envy you! And I'm proud to know you!

Happy Birthday Muddy Waters!!!
04-04-03 01:01 PM
FPM C10
quote:
T&A wrote:
EM is a horrible album, as is the one Chess/Cadet forced Wolf to do around this time to sound 'hip.' Both were atrocities to these two great bluesman. They both hated the experience and felt humiliated in the process.

Thank you, T&A and Doxa, for posting that opinion, with which I completely concur. I hate to disagree with our beloved Voodoo Doll, especially since it was such a nice surprise to see the picture I took on the header today. Simply awful and embarrassing. Just look at Muddy's face on the album cover! And the outfit he had to wear!

In fact, isn't the Wolf album called "This is Howlin' Wolf's New Album. He Doesn't Like It." Or was that just the ad they ran for it? On the back it said "He didn't like his first electric guitar either."

It's obviously a bunch of HIPPIES playing on it, a clueless attempt to pander to the Summer of Love crowd. Was this Marshall Chess's idea?

The only low point of a brilliant career.

(By the way, the band he's got in the picture above are the "hacks" mentioned in a previous post, and although they certainly weren't James Cotton and Pine Top Perkins, they weren't bad. For me it was Muddy I cared about. He DID plug in when I saw him.)

I'm sure FG will notice - but in the picture of Muddy, Willie Dixon and Eric Clapton above, that's the great Johnny Winter standing beside Clapton.
04-04-03 01:12 PM
FPM C10
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

...I hate to disagree with our beloved Voodoo Doll, especially since it was such a nice surprise to see the picture I took on the header today. Simply awful and embarrassing. Just look at Muddy's face on the album cover! And the outfit he had to wear!

I'm afraid my meaning was a bit muddy in this passage...I certainly didn't mean that having my picture of Mud posted was awful and embarrassing! Of course, I meant that I thought "Electric Mud" was.

Anyway, thanks again for posting this picture, and for reminding me it's Muddy's birthday. I'm jamming the Chess Box right now!
04-04-03 01:38 PM
luxury1 I am substitute teaching for the band teacher at our local high school right now, and last period I had one (9th grade!) student play some awesome blues guitar for us in honor of Muddy's birthday--then he ripped into Happy Birthday--too funny. A bunch of other students scatted --in English and Spanish--and banged some drumsticks together. THis was a good day.
04-04-03 02:09 PM
steel driving hammer Now thats a nice Tele.
04-04-03 02:20 PM
T&A FPM C10:

Yes, that one with Clapton and Winter tells me it's from the '77 tour which spawned the great live album, "Mississippi Waters Live" on Epic.

I used the term "hacks" in a relative sense - there's almost no comparison to the great band he had for several years in the 70's, who still tour today as the Legendary Blues Band...Bob Margolin and Luther Johnson (gtrs), Calvin Jones (bs), Pinetop Perkins (p), Big Eyes Smith (dr) and Jerry Portnoy (harp). NOBODY (including our beloved Stones) every played Chicago blues better, IMO.
04-04-03 02:49 PM
Moonisup I adore him, one of the greatest musicians
04-04-03 02:59 PM
steel driving hammer Moonisup, to adore, in America that means you are sexually attracted to Muddy Waters.

Which to me is impossible.

Mick, on the other hand, you can adore by all means.
04-04-03 03:09 PM
Moonisup ph well I adore muddy , I don't care

haha,

let's just say, I think he is one of the best players in the world and all should have his album with johnny winter
04-04-03 03:22 PM
steel driving hammer Johnny Winter is nothing more than Rock and Roll Trailer Trash Albino Lizzard.
04-04-03 03:36 PM
Moonisup one of the best players

his cover of JJF is GREAT!!!!
04-04-03 05:09 PM
FPM C10
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Johnny Winter is nothing more than Rock and Roll Trailer Trash Albino Lizzard.

Uh oh...when Factory Girl gets done catfighting with Karen over there
<-------------
she's gonna kick YOUR ass next!

Some things are open for interpretation, but this ain't one of them. Johnny Winter IS the blues.

As Muddy Waters once said..."Johnny's the boss man!"
04-04-03 05:29 PM
steel driving hammer [quote]FPM C10 wrote:

Uh oh...when Factory Girl gets done catfighting with Karen over there.

Oh shit and I missed that!

Factory Girl can be a devil sometimes.

Karen is new eh?

But, prolly the best Catfight the Stones boards have enjoyed or at least I've enjoyed are/were Hot Stuff and ~AzQb Year Long Battle! LOL.

04-04-03 05:48 PM
icydanger 04/04

yes oooo

swamping

rolling oooo
04-04-03 07:38 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl LOL Doxa, T&A, and Fleabit Peanut Monkey C10

I love that album, probably we don�t smoke the same cigarettes

I have around 20 Muddy Waters albums, all in vinyl but the only one I bought in CD having the vinyl LP was ELECTRIC MUD, here�s one of my little princesses modelling those gems!!

Also this is a proof that the photo was taken today, see my computer surrounded by those heavenly music!

Don�t tell me that Mannish Boy in this album rocks like no other version!

Don�t tell me that Let�s Spend the Night Together is a very original cover.

Don�t tell me you don�t love �I just wanna make love to you� from this albun,

I have read for years the critics to this album as a bas step in Muddy�s career pretending to go like an ugly white folk imitating the Rolling Stones when they imitated him.

It�s not The Same Thing!!!

Well imitation and influence are different and the album is not great, is so fucking great!
04-04-03 08:00 PM
Nasty Habits YAY VOODOO!

Give it to 'em, big man!

That album is really seeing some redefinition on the modern record collecting landscape, I'll have you know. Listeners who are not so ensconced in the purism of received white boy rock critical traditionalism are finding the sonics and arranglements of those records quite fascinating. Hip Hop kids, DJs, and po-mo odd balls will pay premium for Electric Mud but turn up their noses at Muddy at Newport or Folk Singer. Not that they're necessarily right, but there are some fascinating sounds on those late 60s Wolf and Waters records that produce some deliberate and accidental psychedelia. To unbiased ears those records are weird weird weird.

But I listen to The Real Folk Blues or the ugly ass Double LP with the cartoon Muddy on the cover 10 times as much as I listen to Electric Mud, so I definitely see what the received wisdom of the white boys is sayin', bein' one myself.

You funkier than a skeeter's tweeter, bwah.

And I love it whenever you post your princess's pics -- not in a Pete Townshend way, you understand -- it just makes me so happy to see them.

04-04-03 09:13 PM
throbby Happy Birthday Muddy! Your voice moves me like no other.

Voodoo, a great header and some very fine wallpaper for a Stones board. It is a pleasure to look at. Makes me want to get out all my blues discs and play 'em one by one. Thanks for the vibe.
04-05-03 01:44 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
...there are some fascinating sounds on those late 60s Wolf and Waters records that produce some deliberate and accidental psychedelia. To unbiased ears those records are weird weird weird.

I can certainly appreciate it from THAT point of view - and when I used to have a copy of it, I had the gatefold sleeve hanging over my mantlepiece, appreciated in much the same highly ironic postmodern way.

The hip-hoppers may be unconsciously mining the album for the pent-up resentment buried in the tracks. I mean, JESUS, look at the EXPRESSION on the man's face! That's the thing I can't handle anymore. Muddy was a KING among men, a GIANT, and he's being forced to jump thru hoops and wear a mumu.

But everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and more importantly: you are sure RIGHT about Gerardo's angelic daughter! Hard not to smile when you see her!
04-05-03 10:32 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl LOL FPM I had the gatefold sleeve framed and hanging on my studio wall for years... love it hahaha

See these pix from the photo sessions LOL, I reduced the size to 50% of the original as it was yesterday's night wall paper

04-06-03 05:31 AM
F505 For the best tv commercial in Holland they have choosen the one about peanut butter (Calv�). But the best thing in it is Mannish Boy because they used the tune as background.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003