ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Midnight Rambler at the B-Stage
Hartford Civic Center March 28, 1999
by Mrs. Throbby

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Cash again Return to archive
04-03-03 11:19 PM
Mother baby http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~sjfische/fullsizepicture.htm

Oh well, I thought it was funny.
\

[Edited by Mother baby]
[Edited by Mother baby]
[Edited by Mother baby]
04-03-03 11:27 PM
FPM C10 That's THE classic photo of Johnny. It's a perfect illustration of why so many rock & rollers LOVE him.

And didn't he take out a full page ad in the big country trade publication to run that same photo?

I just watched "Hurt" so it was nice to see that photo now. A big fuck you to mortality.
04-03-03 11:43 PM
Mother baby
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
And didn't he take out a full page ad in the big country trade publication to run that same photo?

Yeah, that's the one. First time I'd seen it though. Took me a good ten minutes to stop laughing.
He was just telling it like is.
04-04-03 12:34 AM
Highwire Rob Thanks for posting the link Mother Baby! The first time I saw that photo it was a small insert in Harper's Magazine a few years back.

This will make a great t-shirt print to wear. Time to get the iron-ons for the inkjet!
04-04-03 07:24 AM
Mother baby
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:
This will make a great t-shirt print to wear. Time to get the iron-ons for the inkjet!

Yeah it would.

I'm not so hot with computers, but I like that shot so much I'd kind of like to use it for my computer wallpaper. I don't know if it's possible.
04-04-03 11:59 AM
Highwire Rob Mother Baby,
I don't know what computer you're using but if it's a PC with Windows you can try the following:

Just click on that link that you provided for Johnny Cash "flipping the bird." When the picture comes up, hover your mouse over it and click the right mouse button then, "select as background."

OR...

You can download the image to a specified folder on your computer. Click: Start; Settings; Control Panel; then open the Display file; on it's "Background" tab perform a browse to where you downloaded the Johnny Cash file and then select that file.

I hope that helps.
--Rob.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
04-04-03 12:19 PM
Martha Did any of you see the 90 minute interview/documentary piece on CMT last night of Johnny followed by a 30 minute bit of his concert at a prison in the 70's?

I taped it all...very good. He mentions Keef when he inducted him into the Rock Hall.

I am wondering if it aired previously?
04-04-03 12:37 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Martha wrote:

I am wondering if it aired previously?

I taped part of it (missed the beginning) and it seems to me that it was shown before but has been updated - the footage of Johnny in his current, frail condition is recent, and was added throughout to a bio that I think I saw on A & E last year.

Then after that they did the top 20 videos so I finally got to see the entire clip of "Hurt". I've never had such a visceral reaction to a video, as I said before, but it's the song - and the performance of it- that really hit me in the gut. "And I would trade it all / my empire of dirt." Johnny is not going softly into that good night.
04-04-03 12:45 PM
Martha
Hey FPM,

I didn't make ot through the top 20 countdown so I missed getting "Hurt" taped...will have to catch up with it another time. Thanks for letting me know about the interview...I can imagine it has aried on A&E and was updated recently.

Johnny is still on it!
04-04-03 05:54 PM
Mother baby
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:

I hope that helps.
--Rob.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it a try later this weekend.
04-04-03 09:06 PM
Dandelion* FPM:

I just watched it again. It's very powerful - until they threw Jesus in the last rapid cut montage section. It bugged me when I first saw it and it did so even more seeing it on my larger screen. Kinda pissed me off because it was REALLY working on an emotional level and it overkills it with the inappropriate juxtaposition. I know the illusions to earlier lyrics -"crown of thorns" - but that's just a glaringly bad misuse of loaded subject matter. The other shots with religious imagery worked well though. We need to re edit this and put black leader or something in it's place. Shouldn't take long. Who did this video?

ps - please tape Letterman tonight.
04-05-03 12:12 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:
Thanks for posting the link Mother Baby! The first time I saw that photo it was a small insert in Harper's Magazine a few years back.

I used to sell that t-shirt until the company I bought it from got a cease and disist order.

04-05-03 01:17 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Dandelion* wrote:
FPM:
We need to re edit this and put black leader or something in it's place. Shouldn't take long.

yeah, and then I'm gonna tear a few pages I don't like out of "Tropic of Cancer" and paint a moustache on the Mona Lisa. Oh, wait, DuChamp already did that. I'll fix the cracks in The Bride Stripped Bare By Her Bachelors, Even.

So Jesus footage is ok for Kenneth Anger to use but not Johnny Cash? Because one's ironic and the other's iconic? It might be tabu in experimental film circles but it's a video meant to be shown on CMT, not MOMA, and it's aimed at the cashier at Walmart who asked you if you'd seen the video yet as well as you and me.

>Who did this video?

There's a good article about it in the other thread about this song. I forget his name but he did that horrible Michael & Janet Jackson in a space station video.

>ps - please tape Letterman tonight.

Sorry, got back too late. What was on?
04-05-03 07:50 AM
Dandelion* Aw...come on!

Okay - I rewatched it after a couple glasses of wine to desensitize me. I didn't want to have that reaction. I am perfectly capable of watching stuff and not picking apart the editing - but that was glaringly wrong. The wine helped though. I still think the guy who did it (not Johnny) should be bitched slapped with a copy of Eisenstein's Film Form.

"So Jesus footage is ok for Kenneth Anger to use but not Johnny Cash? Because one's ironic and the other's iconic?"

It didn't seem iconic to me. It seemed absurd, pretentious, inappropriate and clumsy, WAY overdone and almost negated what was/is a great video/clip. Kenneth Anger used his Jesus footage brilliantly in Scorpio Rising. One of the best and most influential films ever made. We probably wouldn't even be talking about the Cash video if...oh yeah - I forgot - Kenneth Anger is over rated! Ha!

"but it's a video meant to be shown on CMT, not MOMA, and it's aimed at the cashier at Walmart who asked you if you'd seen the video yet as well as you and me."

I know that - but I don't think her stunned reaction to it would have been any less minus the four quick clips of blondie Jesus. I know they total probably about two seconds - but it takes it down a notch. Instead of continuing that powerful crescendo, it throws a wrench in it.

>ps - please tape Letterman tonight.

Sorry, got back too late. What was on?

Wasn't Bo Diddley on?
04-05-03 10:42 AM
Dandelion* I forgot to add - the "crown of thorns" lyric was changed from "crown of shit".

Found some news this morning - you'll be thrilled FPM, since I know this guy is your favorite actor:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1470457/20030310/cash_johnny.jhtml?headlines=true
04-05-03 01:10 PM
Highwire Rob I haven't seen this Cash video yet but the way you guys are describing it reminds me of Dylan's, Series of Dreams.

And that is my favorite video. It presents Dylan's professional life as an odyssey, a montage of classic and obscure clips in vignette style. It opens with Bob before a mirror applying his Rolling Thunder Revue makeup, Bob and Ginsberg at Kerouac's grave, Bob with the oft imitated Don't Look Back film's (Subterranean Homesick Blues) cue cards, Bob on horseback, etc...

Plus Series of Dreams is just a great song too. Does anyone else like that video? (I believe it's from around 1991, the time of his Greatest Hits, Vol. 3 release.) Videos don't usually get me too emotional but that one had me a little wet in the eyes.

I'll keep checking out CMT to catch Johnny Cash's Hurt video; it sounds equally moving. ...As I finish this post I just found a site to watch the video; so after I post this, I'll try it out: http://www.krockradio.com/cash/

There's another Cash video I caught by chance recently on MTV or CMT. It features an elderly man sitting in the garden with the cutest little dog on his lap--it's classic!--I'm trying to locate that one as well.

--Rob.
04-05-03 01:32 PM
FPM C10 [quote]Dandelion* wrote:
Aw...come on!
[quote]

Don't go overboard! I was jokingly overstating my mock shock. Although I wouldn't dream of changing a frame of that video, any more than I would excise an inch of RPW.

>Okay - I rewatched it after a couple glasses of wine to desensitize me. I didn't want to have that reaction. I am perfectly capable of watching stuff and not picking apart the editing - but that was glaringly wrong. The wine helped though. I still think the guy who did it (not Johnny) should be bitched slapped with a copy of Eisenstein's Film Form.
And this should show you that yours is the reaction of an experimental film maker. Johnny is a capital "C" Christian and may even have requested the Jesus footage. I'm SURE changing "crown of shit" to "crown of thorns" was Johnny's decision. He ain't gonna dis JC.

I understand your criticism, but nobody else is going to. Everyone else who reads this is gonna think you are picking MICROSCOPIC nits.

But the reaction of "good church-goin' folk" is more important in this case, I think. THEY are going to "get" it, and Johnny and June probably care a lot more about that than what us artsy-types think.

Admittedly, it's not as powerful as images of gay wanna-be bikers spreading mustard on each other's bellies while "I see the party lights" plays in the background.

______________________________-
>Kenneth Anger used his Jesus footage brilliantly in Scorpio Rising.

Agreed, but he used it hilariously too, which certainly is not the point of "Hurt".

__________________________________-
>One of the best and most influential films ever made. We probably wouldn't even be talking about the Cash video if...oh yeah - I forgot - Kenneth Anger is over rated! Ha!

Oh shit, Dandy, he didn't INVENT irony. If HE hadn't made fun of Jesus with 50s pop tunes, SOMEBODY would have.

Not for me. For me the part that was a LITTLE bit annoying at first is the clip of "Johnny saying "you leave me the hell alone." But after watching it at Gregg's, I don't have any problems with it at all.

No, that was the night before. I tried to fit it on the tape with all the Johnny Cash stuff I taped, but only got the beginning of it. It was ok, not earth-shaking. Unlike Johnny, Bo is not doing the best work of his career in the twilight. He did "Who Do You Love", and it was better when he did it with the Stones on the VL ppv.
04-05-03 02:03 PM
FPM C10 [quote]Highwire Rob wrote:
I haven't seen this Cash video yet but the way you guys are describing it reminds me of Dylan's, Series of Dreams.
[quote]

It is indeed similar, the added psychic punch being that it's obviously the end of Johnny's odyssey. Imagine how gut-wrenching it would be if you knew "Series of Dreams" was the end of the line for Dylan. Instead, he's given us SO much SINCE then, and is still in good health. Thank GOD.

>Plus Series of Dreams is just a great song too. Does anyone else like that video? (I believe it's from around 1991, the time of his Greatest Hits, Vol. 3 release.) Videos don't usually get me too emotional but that one had me a little wet in the eyes.

I love "Series of Dreams" - the song and the video - I think they showed it as the beginning of the 1992 Tribute to Bob Dylan concert I attended at Madison Square Garden. But for ME it doesn't come close to "Hurt", and I'm a bigger Dylan fan than a Johnny Cash fan. If "SoD" makes you a little wet in the eyes, get yourself a hanky before you watch "Hurt".

>I'll keep checking out CMT to catch Johnny Cash's Hurt video; it sounds equally moving.

it's available on DVD with the new Cash cd, which is well worth having.

>There's another Cash video I caught by chance recently on MTV or CMT. It features an elderly man sitting in the garden with the cutest little dog on his lap--it's classic!--I'm trying to locate that one as well.

Yeah, what song is that video for? Is it recent? Cash's work with Rick Rubin is just monumental. Never considered Rubin anything except a very good producer for his work with the Beasties and the Chili Peppers, but he's obviously a GENIUS.
04-05-03 02:54 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Yeah, what song is that video for? Is it recent? Cash's work with Rick Rubin is just monumental. Never considered Rubin anything except a very good producer for his work with the Beasties and the Chili Peppers, but he's obviously a GENIUS.

Anyone who can actually coax an album like Wandering Spirit AND the Red Devils session out of Mick Jagger is pretty genius in my book.

Not to mention Run DMC.

04-05-03 05:34 PM
Gazza Dylan's "Series of dreams" video is probably my favourite video ever. Fabulous juxtaposition of lyrics with images from Dylan's career (like the clip from "eat the document" where Dylan's in the back of a taxi cab with Lennon and theyve superimposed Lenny Bruce's head onto Lennon's to fit the line from the song "Lenny Bruce" 'I rode with him/in a taxi once')

shows the whole format of video clips up for the glorified cola commercials that 99% of them are.

I'm dying to see this Cash video

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003