ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Midnight Rambler at the B-Stage
Hartford Civic Center March 28, 1999
by Mrs. Throbby

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: White Stripes' Elephant Return to archive
04-02-03 12:57 PM
Factory Girl Who has listened to this extensively? What are your thoughts on this cd? RS gave it 5 stars, wow!

I listened to it briefly, and its not my shot of Stoli.

04-02-03 01:22 PM
JaGgEr I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!
White stripes rules!
04-02-03 01:37 PM
swapwoodfortaylor Not my cup of tea either! But need to give it a couple more goes.
04-02-03 02:57 PM
Sir Stonesalot It gets the SS Seal of Approval, and a hearty recommendation.

It's like Tom Waits. Not in a literal sense, but in that you need to "get it" to enjoy it. You gotta admit, no one else sounds like that.

FPM said to me of the White Stripes, "Every band I've ever been in sounds better than this." In a traditional sense, he's right. But The White Stripes are anything but traditional. I mean, it's just one sloppy ass guitar and basic drums. No bass, no horns, no nothing. And Jack isn't your Mom's crooner either.

It's an aquired taste.
04-02-03 03:05 PM
Honky Tonk Man I have their other albums and i think they're pretty good. As SS said, it is an aquired taste, very much so. Saw them live with Jeff Beck, thought they were on fire. They were really good. Meg White is an average drummer and Jack White is a half decent guitarist, but they just have thar air of magic about them. They have a unique sound which everyone 'ought to try out

Alex
04-03-03 09:01 AM
Nasty Habits I think it's a good album and I think it's extremely well recorded. Toe Rag has been my favorite sounding studio for the last ten years and I'm glad they recorded there. There's a shitload more lead guitar on the record then they 've ever put on an album before. Lead guitar seems to be the concept, in fact. The songs don't seem as strong as their previous at first but they are growing on me. I really like the single with its hesitant weirdly timed bass line.

It's not just basic sloppy ass guitar and drums -- there are some really bizarre deconstructions going on on the record. I still don't know if I'll like it as much as their first or second albums, though. But I have yet to hear it on vinyl. It seems like a stronger album overall than White Blood Cells.

Remember one of the last records Rolling Stone gave five stars to? Goddess in the Doorway! No matter what your opinion about that record, I don't think anyone here would go about describing it as "absolutely essential for any collection". 3L3PHANT isn't a five star record either, although it is more exciting than anything a major label has put out by a new artist in a long time. It's five stars bought with money, hype, favors, and wishful thinking. Don't pay attention to Rolling Stone. Rolling Stone is dead.

04-03-03 09:38 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Don't pay attention to Rolling Stone. Rolling Stone is dead.

that's for sure...

even i've stopped reading it
04-03-03 11:15 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
I have their other albums and i think they're pretty good. As SS said, it is an aquired taste, very much so. Saw them live with Jeff Beck, thought they were on fire. They were really good. Meg White is an average drummer and Jack White is a half decent guitarist, but they just have thar air of magic about them. They have a unique sound which everyone 'ought to try out

Alex

Jeff Beck with the White Stripes?

I needs a boot of this one!

-tSYX --- Shapes of things...
04-03-03 11:16 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
It's like Tom Waits. Not in a literal sense, but in that you need to "get it" to enjoy it. You gotta admit, no one else sounds like that.

Yeah - their last album, White Blood Cells, was OK. Some really good numbers, some OK, but a very unique sound.

Man, Tom Waits with The White Stripes... now *that'd* be an awesome concert.

-tSYX --- That feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel...
04-03-03 02:30 PM
Martha The White Stripes opened for the Stones show in Columbus 10/20/02.......Chris and I really enjoyed their set. Haven't purchased any of their CD's yet.

I agree, although I still subscribe,..RS is dead...but I look for updates primarily what will be airing on TV and other news bites. so it is worth that much I guess.
04-03-03 06:46 PM
Sir Stonesalot Martha, drop your subscription...in fact, everyone with an ounce of taste and the internet should drop that sorry rag.

That is the only way that they'll understand how irrelevant that they are. No sales.
04-03-03 08:13 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oversight on my part...I was talking about the White Stripes sound in general...not about the new album...when I made my sloppy ass guitar comment.

This current release IS indeed a bit different for Jackie and Sis. It's a bigger, fuller sounding album. It is at times very dark and bleak, and at timeshumorous and offbeat. It's a strange record, and one that I really find myself compelled by.
04-03-03 10:09 PM
throbby After hearing their take of Stop Breakin Down on Nasty's compilation I'm gonna check out the new disc. How is the disc they released before Elephant?
04-04-03 12:23 AM
Cardinal Fang I've only listened to it 3 or 4 times and I like the new album but for now I prefer their last album, White Blood Cells. Sir Stonesalot is correct, you either get them or you don't. In that sense it's similar to Zappa or Beefheart.

As far as Rolling Stone magazine, I swear to all of you that I cancelled my subscription in .......drum roll please...... 1980 !!! Too many articles about topics that I am NOT INTERESTED in reading about in a "music" magazine. I also never liked how they would "promise an in depth interview" and it comes off like you are reading the average typical record company band bio with a few obligatory "We'll see how it goes" quotes from the band when asked about their latest album/tour/outside interest hobby/etc. I honestly could NOT even tell you how much an issue costs or how much a subscription goes for today. If you are looking for a publication with "it's finger on the pulse of the music scene", Rolling Stone is NOT it. And before anybody say's "it's different now" or "how do you know if you haven't read it for awhile" I stopped my subscription in 1980 but I have still read some issues when I'm at the doctor's office or at a friends house. Is it just me or does reading an issue of Rolling Stone remind you of reading an issue of People magazine ?

My 2 cents.

I Gotta Bail.

Later, Cardinal Fang

04-04-03 01:41 AM
beer All the White Stripes albums are really good. their 2nd album, "De Stijl" is probably the most blues oriented one. It's got a killer cover of the song "Death Letter" on it. For their 3rd album, "White Blood Cells", Jack decided to make the album with no cover songs, no blues, no guitar solos or slide guitar. It's an amazing record. The new one, Elephant is great too. Jack plays an octave guitar to make it sound like it has a bass on it. crazy stuff.
PLUS, there is a boot out that I have called "B sides and Rarities" and it's pretty much a whole album and is even better than some of the official releases. check it out.
04-04-03 06:02 AM
stonedinaustralia i heard a track on the radio this a.m. - on first hearing i liked it - i didn't ctach the name of the track - to me it lacked a sense of urgency that's in their previous stuff but that could be just that particular track - in any event i suppose it's not surprising - unfortunatly they are now entering their self referential period - not that the thrill is gone - but because of familiarity the thrill is just that little harder to find even though the beat remains the same

i love that rythym section sound - that boomy edge on the drums, particularly on the kick, always gets me going - it's so low down and dirty

still that's all on one hearing of one track so i look forward to hearing more - i've enjoyed them so far

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
04-04-03 07:16 AM
Nellcote White Stripes 4/22-25 Conan O'Brien NBC here in the States
04-04-03 10:14 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
throbby wrote:
After hearing their take of Stop Breakin Down on Nasty's compilation I'm gonna check out the new disc. How is the disc they released before Elephant?

All the White Stripes' albums are good. The first one (which has a different version of Stop Breaking Down than is on the Nasty Comp) is the rawest, and it's Nasty's favorite, but he is in the minority.

Beer is right: De Stijl is probably the best place to start, especially for a Stones fan -- White Blood Cells and 3L3PHANT are much artier records with less blues.

But fuck it, maybe everybody SHOULD get Elephant. It's a real time right now rock and roll event and you might as well wrestle with it in your own personal homespace if you love rocanrol. Don't play it on your computer - play it on your stereo, and turn it up.

In related news, I saw an absolutely fantastic show by the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion last night - the old boys shook the joint up and reminded some of us -- ME, anyway, that they were blazing that particular path long before any of the new garage rock acts and that in many ways they strut the strut with much more swagger and dangle. Judah Bauer and Jon Spencer really have their own kind of Stones-type weave going on on this tour, and when they locked in it was some pretty hot shit. They climaxed the show with a terrifically heavy version of "Yer Blues" that was obviously inspired by the Dirty Mac.

04-04-03 10:31 AM
Hooked First off, I agree with SS--the only way Rolling Stone mag is going to get the message is if no one buys them. They've really gone downhill. i finally let my subscription lapse last year. For every decent issue, there were four that sucked. They changed editors last year and went super glossy, pretty much become the People Magazine of music. Quite a change from what they used to be when they offered free roach clips with subscriptions.

As for the White Stripes, I bought the last record---I think they are very talented for basically being a simplistic garage band. But I found it hard to stick with the album after a few listens. Maybe I should try it again and try Elephant.

Has anyone here seen them live other than opening for the Stones? I had tix to see them in a club in DC last year, but couldn't go. Everyone says they are a great live band.
04-04-03 12:40 PM
Martha Cardinal Fang wrote "I honestly could NOT even tell you how much an issue costs or how much a subscription goes for today."

I got mine for 12 bucks a year. It is cheap...and like I said I look for news bites and tv stuff that I want to tape...I tape constantly. It is a quick.easy way for me to keep tabs on that info. I don't read the mag articles.... can't keep up with it and anyway am not that interested, like the good Cardinal pointed out, in some of the articles..not about music.

I will take your suggestion under advisement Sir Stonesy.
04-04-03 06:54 PM
Sir Stonesalot You can get all that info on the internet, or TV Guide, Martha...you don't need Rolling Stone to tell you.

Take that $12.00 and buy one of the Rolling Stones Remasters. That is a much better investment.
04-04-03 07:32 PM
beer Nasty, have you heard the White Stripes "B sides and Rarities" boot?

1 Apple of my eye
2 I aint superstitious
3 Pain, gimme some
4 Let's shake hands
5 Look me over closely
6 Lafayette blues
7 Hand Springs
8 Candy cane children
9 Red death
10 Red bowling ball Ruth
11 Jolene
12 Party of special things to do
13 China pig
14 Ashtray heart
15 Lord send me an angel
16 Rated X
17 Love sick

If you haven't heard this, you must get it!! let me know if you need it and i can try to burn it for you.
04-04-03 07:44 PM
Nasty Habits Beer, I got all that shit when it came out.

Don't you just love Party of Special Things to Do and Hand Springs? Not to mention Lafayette Blues? I love those 7" records almost more than I do the albums for sure.

PM Me -- If you need live White Stripes bizness I have a back catalog that'll make you turn red AND white.

04-05-03 02:54 PM
FPM C10 I'm very late getting into this last batch of new bands. In hindsight I would not extend my boasting about "every band I was in sounding better" to cover The White Stripes, who are obviously very original and kick ASS for a duo; nor would I include the LAST band I was in, who, while good, were unfortunately backing a clueless hack. I was accidently including The White Stripes in with the Strokes and all those new guitar bands, which is a mistake.

So let me change my boast to: a couple of bands I was in were better than The Strokes and the Vines and etc. As if that mattered at all to anyone.

SS and me and another buddy listened to some of Elephant really LOUD last night and it sounded absolutely SWELL. I could see why Keith & Charlie liked them: at their best they sound like Keith and Charlie!

Now who was that Canadian guy we were watching? Fred Eaglesmith? Anybody heard of him? The show (taped from Canadian CMT) was really funny/good.
04-05-03 05:15 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I love "Hotel Yorba" - it sounds like The Lovin' Spoonful getting mugged in an alley by Exile On Main Street.

-tSYX --- One two three four, take the elevator...

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003